Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah am I fine if I do pure archer on ps4? I like lancer as well. Don't think I'll put time into anything else.

You'll have to take pugulist to 15 to unlock bard. Bard also gets crossclass skills from lancer and pugulist so it isn't bad to level either. At the moment I'd say just keep pressing through the main story till you hit 30 then you can start worrying about jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

If the Scholar goes /afkfollow and asks for comms, do they get any?

No! Says the goon whom knows they are pubbie;
No! Says the tank whom notes eos does all;
No! Says the DD whom thanks the utterer of "Nail!";
No! Says Square-Enix whom prevents self-comms.

At least that party only had one bad apple. :argh: I thought you guys were kidding about how bad some people are. I thought it would be impossible to out-tank the tank, out-heal the healer and out-dps the other dps in a single dungeon. They disabused me of that particular notion. :sigh:

Sorry, just needed to vent a little.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

Volume posted:

I did that. I hit cancel on the in-game download, it logged me out, I logged back in, and it started the download again.

Probably too late but the launcher has a config section with an "Expansion Auto-Installation" toggle on/off. It's defaulted to on.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I have been living under a rock and didn't realize there was even a thread for this on SA.

This is me. Sadly though I play on Ultros and I don't think anyone else here does???

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Ultros friend! Do you know of Ymar? Cause holy poo poo that guy.

Is there a way to disable the other hotbars when using a controller or am I poo poo outta luck on that front?

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread
I heard this thread likes Minfilia.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Warren posted:

Is there a way to disable the other hotbars when using a controller or am I poo poo outta luck on that front?

Hotbar settings are under the character configuration menu. You can swap between keyboard and controller with the big switch in the upper left, and hide/show individual hotbars in the hotbar section of the menu.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

SL the Pyro posted:

I have been living under a rock and didn't realize there was even a thread for this on SA.

This is me. Sadly though I play on Ultros and I don't think anyone else here does???

I'm on Ultros too.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not the only one who sees much of this community and yoshida's own viewpoint on damage parsers some time ago has a major problem in backwards thinking, and mentalities reflective of SJWs at the cost of leaving players ignorant, and silencing people who want to make people aware they need to improve because feelings may be hurt. I'm just less tolerant of it as time goes on, and I'm tired of mincing words. Sue me.

People want to complain dps checks are too high, yet parsing is a bannable offense that people will report you for if it hurts their ego in the slightest, and telling someone they're doing it wrong is offensive even in the least offensive forms.

I'm out of posts for the day, so have fun.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
Any goons on Adamantoise? Made an alt there to play with some friends

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Technogeek posted:

I'm not the only one who sees much of this community and yoshida's own viewpoint on damage parsers some time ago has a major problem in backwards thinking, and mentalities reflective of SJWs at the cost of leaving players ignorant, and silencing people who want to make people aware they need to improve because feelings may be hurt. I'm just less tolerant of it as time goes on, and I'm tired of mincing words. Sue me.

People want to complain dps checks are too high, yet parsing is a bannable offense that people will report you for if it hurts their ego in the slightest, and telling someone they're doing it wrong is offensive even in the least offensive forms.

Your avatar had me fooled for a moment!

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

Your avatar had me fooled for a moment!

Does anyone have the over/under on how long before Belzac ends up with an avatar that shows Pikachu evangelizing Fracture?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

That guy seems pretty upset about not being able to DPS-shame pubbies.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
There is no God but Fracture and Belzac is His prophet.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Technogeek posted:

Unironically agreed.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

this is 100% true though

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Thundarr posted:

That guy seems pretty upset about not being able to DPS-shame pubbies.

are you telling me I shouldn't be able to tell the idiot doing 400 in EXDR that they need to get good?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

vOv posted:

are you telling me I shouldn't be able to tell the idiot doing 400 in EXDR that they need to get good?

Well I mean you sure can v:shobon:v I've just found that telling randoms to shape up mid dungeon tends to make everything take more time rather than less even if they don't attempt to sic a GM on you for hurting their feelings.

Nobody is going to get banned for sharing parses within an actual raid group though, and if anybody gets butthurt when their static says they need to do better then they are probably never going to get anywhere raiding anyway.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In a way, it annoys me when people in parties are doing piss-poor DPS in level 60 content that a decent rotation at level 50 can match and you can't easily call them out on it. rear end in a top hat elitism also annoys the crap out of me, but you really only see that in PVP.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I haven't looked into the UI stuff yet, is there a way to make your buffs and personal debuffs more obvious?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Well I mean you sure can v:shobon:v I've just found that telling randoms to shape up mid dungeon tends to make everything take more time rather than less even if they don't attempt to sic a GM on you for hurting their feelings.

Nobody is going to get banned for sharing parses within an actual raid group though, and if anybody gets butthurt when their static says they need to do better then they are probably never going to get anywhere raiding anyway.

I tell people how to do their rotation properly if I see them doing it very poorly (like not using heavy thrust or huton or something), and about half the time it works to some extent.

But yeah, the thing I miss the most from WoW is recount. I just want to be able to tell if I'm doing a good job or not.

Aphrodite posted:

I haven't looked into the UI stuff yet, is there a way to make your buffs and personal debuffs more obvious?

Your personal debuffs have a larger icon and show up to the left of all other debuffs.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Aphrodite posted:

You should be able to increase their size in the UI editor (hover over them, press ctrl-home)

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 26, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Chairman posted:

You should be able to increase their size in the UI editor (hover over them, press ctrl-enter)

But is there a way to specifically make your own debuffs on an enemy more visible?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Char Config -> Hud -> Display only effects you inflict.

Also size is ctrl+home.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 26, 2016

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Burn My Dread posted:

I heard this thread likes Minfilia.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Allowing DPS parsers would be nice because 1) it's pretty easy to tell if a tank or a healer are bad and they get called out, why make it different for DPS? 2) When I play AST, it'd be nice to know who to prioritize for damage buffs.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Allowing DPS parsers would be nice because 1) it's pretty easy to tell if a tank or a healer are bad and they get called out, why make it different for DPS? 2) When I play AST, it'd be nice to know who to prioritize for damage buffs.

You can roughly tell if the DPS are doing their jobs by looking at how much hate they have on the target. If one's hate bar is way lower they either just died, are stuck handling mechanics, or are not deepsing correctly. Not as accurate as an actual meter but it's usually enough to know who to toss Balance on.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Parsers are good because seeing SCH AoE numbers never gets old. Seeing a BLM do 400 DPS in EXDR does though, so I guess it's 50/50.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thundarr posted:

You can roughly tell if the DPS are doing their jobs by looking at how much hate they have on the target. If one's hate bar is way lower they either just died, are stuck handling mechanics, or are not deepsing correctly. Not as accurate as an actual meter but it's usually enough to know who to toss Balance on.

Note to self: Do not use quelling strikes

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003
I played FFXI for more years than I feel comfortable admitting. I'm considering wasting time on FFXIV when my new desktop system arrives in a couple weeks. Did many of the old goon linkshell guys hop over to XIV, or will I be starting friendless? (Just to keep this clear, I intend to end in a friendless state when the time comes.)

I would have read the thread to find out for myself but it's 600+ pages so ugh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RazeChildren posted:

I played FFXI for more years than I feel comfortable admitting. I'm considering wasting time on FFXIV when my new desktop system arrives in a couple weeks. Did many of the old goon linkshell guys hop over to XIV, or will I be starting friendless? (Just to keep this clear, I intend to end in a friendless state when the time comes.)

This is always a good way to check:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3726685

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Saigyouji posted:

Parsers are good because seeing SCH AoE numbers never gets old. Seeing a BLM do 400 DPS in EXDR does though, so I guess it's 50/50.

I've refused to use a parser because I can already tell really bad DPS when I see it and seeing even more is just going to make me sad. But I've been thinking about it lately and this made me curious: what's decent DPS for a Scholar? Like it obviously varies depending on the fight (aka how much healing we need to do), but assuming I can just push out damage, what's good DPS for a level 60 (roughly IL 200-ish) Scholar? I'd also like to know about Dark Knight.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

RazeChildren posted:

Who were you in the old ls? Hera is here and some other doofus who quit again sadly.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Captainsalami posted:

Who were you in the old ls? Hera is here and some other doofus who quit again sadly.

Yes I am here!!!!!!!

I can't speak for all FFXI/FFXIV goons, but Chair and Cup-senpai and other notable notables are here, with goons spread across three free companies. Goons are a blissful blight, new and old, so hop on if you wish!

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

Captainsalami posted:

I had a few accounts. Started as Prier. Sold it. Was a taru named Tempi. Got Salvage banned. Then I was a taru named Ganache that became a taru named Profiterole and that one still exists.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Note to self: Do not use quelling strikes

By way lower I kinda mean 90 seconds in one guy has 3/4 bar and the other has a couple pixels.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

Char Config -> Hud -> Display only effects you inflict.

Also size is ctrl+home.

It's worth noting that this option can make it hard to tell if a debuff on a mob fell off or was claimed by another player. This mostly affects Dancing Edge / Storm's Eye though.

jellycat posted:

I've refused to use a parser because I can already tell really bad DPS when I see it and seeing even more is just going to make me sad. But I've been thinking about it lately and this made me curious: what's decent DPS for a Scholar? Like it obviously varies depending on the fight (aka how much healing we need to do), but assuming I can just push out damage, what's good DPS for a level 60 (roughly IL 200-ish) Scholar? I'd also like to know about Dark Knight.

For single target you should be breaking 800 in > i200 gear pretty easily, and with multiple targets that you can fully aoe (Think A2S) you'll break 1000-1100 without issue in an average case.

DRK will depend on whether you're tanking or not, but I'd expect anywhere from 700-1000 depending on the situation. They can go higher, but there are a lot of variables. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

nuru posted:

It's worth noting that this option can make it hard to tell if a debuff on a mob fell off or was claimed by another player. This mostly affects Dancing Edge / Storm's Eye though.

For single target you should be breaking 800 in > i200 gear pretty easily, and with multiple targets that you can fully aoe (Think A2S) you'll break 1000-1100 without issue in an average case.

DRK will depend on whether you're tanking or not, but I'd expect anywhere from 700-1000 depending on the situation. They can go higher, but there are a lot of variables. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong.

Thanks! When I get some time, I'll have to see how I stack up.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

nuru posted:

Also weirdly enough it makes the L60 Scholar quest super difficult since it hides a debuff from your view that you have to cleanse or you fail outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Yea we have a few old school FFXI players scattered throughout our 'three' groups on Excalibur (myself included).

I immediately exposed my FFXI history when I asked for a "linkpearl" for the CT LS and was laughed at mercilessly. :v:

• Locked thread