Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So my friend's 8 year old daughter is apparently TERRIFIED of THE ILLUMINATI and their mind control. And it's not just her, apparently the whole elementary school system of her age range is just full of gossip and fear mongering and making up stories about illuminati conspiracies.

What weird loving times we live in. When I was 8 I was scared of people figuring out my pog hustling scam and the bottom falling out of the pog market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Disinterested posted:

Are we really writing off the fact that almost every society was still primarily non-urbanised in 1900 as 'superficial'. Mars landers are cool but they don't represent a meaningful change in daily lives.

NASA didn't exist until 1958. The entirety of the space program has take place over a little less than 58 years. In that very short time, we have progressed from early satellites to landing people on the moon to firing spacecraft all around our solar system and getting detailed pictures of every planet. Those spacecraft (including Voyager 1, which has hit interstellar space!) are still transmitting today.

This says nothing about the dense network of satellites in orbit around Earth today, gathering data used in all sorts of fields, from temperature data to topography, to soil moisture so that we can better understand our planet. On top of that, we have satellites in space that can triangulate your position to within feet and tell you where to go, and provide a global communication network while they're at it.

So yes, the Mars landers do have a massive impact on your day to day life.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Someone brought from the past might keel over (I've imagined a medieval peasant gorging themselves in a supermarket until they accidentally drink something like dish detergent) - but pretty much everyone alive today even in the remotest places is aware of modern technology - they see airplanes and 'man walking on the moon' has become modern myth.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

So my friend's 8 year old daughter is apparently TERRIFIED of THE ILLUMINATI and their mind control. And it's not just her, apparently the whole elementary school system of her age range is just full of gossip and fear mongering and making up stories about illuminati conspiracies.

What weird loving times we live in. When I was 8 I was scared of people figuring out my pog hustling scam and the bottom falling out of the pog market.

kids are scared of dumb things. when i was 8 it was the height of 80's-90's interest in the paranormal and my biggest, most terrifying fear was being abducted by aliens

the more interesting part is why specifically the illuminati has become a topic of schoolyard conversation at this particular school

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Baronjutter posted:

Is this Texas? Some kinda agenda 21 aftermath poo poo?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Dirk the Average posted:

NASA didn't exist until 1958. The entirety of the space program has take place over a little less than 58 years. In that very short time, we have progressed from early satellites to landing people on the moon to firing spacecraft all around our solar system and getting detailed pictures of every planet. Those spacecraft (including Voyager 1, which has hit interstellar space!) are still transmitting today.

This says nothing about the dense network of satellites in orbit around Earth today, gathering data used in all sorts of fields, from temperature data to topography, to soil moisture so that we can better understand our planet. On top of that, we have satellites in space that can triangulate your position to within feet and tell you where to go, and provide a global communication network while they're at it.

So yes, the Mars landers do have a massive impact on your day to day life.

It's still miniscule compared to the difference between being a peasant farmer in a village to an auto-worker in a factory in an industrial city. The real, experiential and structural things about peoples lives are much more about that than anything the space program has to offer.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Disinterested posted:

It's still miniscule compared to the difference between being a peasant farmer in a village to an auto-worker in a factory in an industrial city. The real, experiential and structural things about peoples lives are much more about that than anything the space program has to offer.

I strongly disagree. The world is more global now than ever before, with goods, people, ideas, and information flowing freely. We could be having this conversation from virtually anywhere in the world, and if one of us flew to another country right now, we could continue the conversation mid-flight (yet another way transportation has changed) and after landing.

I can look up virtually the sum total of human knowledge, navigate to a place I have never been before (and see a street view of what it looks like!), talk to anyone in the world in real time, and I can do this virtually at will with a device that fits in my pocket. They, likewise, can respond with a device that fits in their pocket.

I can get access to fresh food all year round. I can get access to food from almost any country/ethnicity within a half hour drive of where I live. I have a car and so do most other people, so a 20 mile distance isn't a big deal. Cars and computers are at the point where self-driving cars are a real goal that people are working towards.

As an engineer, I can go from concept to having a model in my hands in a matter of hours. What used to take weeks or a very large staff of drafters and machinists, can be done by one person with some CAD software and a CNC mill or 3d printer.

Medicine has made huge strides to the point where we are cutting down patient recovery times on heart surgery to a matter of hours instead of months. Plans are in the works for time-released precisely dosed medications that can last weeks or months. Implantable medical devices are possible at all. Surgeries are being performed remotely with cameras and catheters.

All of these things have a huge impact on daily life. Technology is old and outdated after a few years. We are constantly innovating at a pace never before seen in human history. These things that I mentioned were the sort of thing you'd see in Star Trek, not actual projects people are working on. What I have written isn't an exhaustive list of even the fields I'm close to - there's just too much to cover.

Everything from how we talk to how we get news to how we travel to how we eat to how we get treated if we're sick to how we get entertainment to how accessible the rest of the world is to how we work is changing. Constantly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dirk the Average posted:

Of course, your medical recovery times would be measured in months and your odds of survival would be much lower. You'd also have much poorer diagnostic equipment and be less likely to get proper treatment.

Fast forward ten years from now, and most surgeries will probably be done entirely via tiny incisions, catheters, and/or robots with recovery times measured in hours. This is already true of some surgeries, and there's a big push to get it to apply to more and more operations.

It's difficult to understand just how hilariously fast technology is advancing these days, but if you're in any sort of R&D program, then you can see the pace we're moving at.

I'll take months of recovery and like 50% odds of survival over 0 recovery because you had shot and 0.01% chance of survival because a literal miracle happened any time. Like seriously I got this kidney disease going on which means I'll need a transplant shortly, and my aunt got her first kidney transplant back around 1975 and she's still alive today. That's pretty good odds as far as I see it.

You know people have been saying your second paragraph since the 80s and the "within 10 years" part never changes."We'll have fusion figured out in the next 30 years" since 1950, anyone? I don't feel very optimistic about that poo poo actually happening in 10 years, even though it totally could.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

30 years ago if you got cancer you were hosed.

Now 90% of cancers are balls easy to cure if they're caught early enough.

I think you're confusing 30 for like 60 years there. Yeah if it's 1955 then there's very little chance to survive, but you bring things forward to the 70s and chances had gotten a lot higher, and in the 80s they were not the far off from today's survival rates. We got most of the early detection stuff figured out in the 60s and 70s.

Dirk the Average posted:

I strongly disagree. The world is more global now than ever before, with goods, people, ideas, and information flowing freely.

I suggest you read about the world situation just before World War I. poo poo was interconnected as gently caress before Europe melted down like dipshits.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

fishmech posted:

You know people have been saying your second paragraph since the 80s and the "within 10 years" part never changes."We'll have fusion figured out in the next 30 years" since 1950, anyone? I don't feel very optimistic about that poo poo actually happening in 10 years, even though it totally could.

I'm actually literally talking about developments within my industry that are happening right now. 10 years is about how long it takes to get some of that stuff to market and widespread use due to how tight regulatory controls on medical treatments are.

fishmech posted:

I suggest you read about the world situation just before World War I. poo poo was interconnected as gently caress before Europe melted down like dipshits.

True, but not to the degree that we are now. I can collaborate with someone halfway across the world with only a bit more difficulty than someone who is within the same city.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You're still not talking about the stuff that peoples lives are really made of: what they believe, what they do with their time, how they make their living, where they live, how they provide for their basic needs.

In 1900 running water in your house and electricity were luxuries, most people even in most rich industrial countries still lived predominantly in the countryside, almost everyone was profoundly and unflinchingly religious, illiteracy and ill-education were still rife outside of Western and Northern Europe, women were still largely removed from the workforce, empires still controlled everything. Even so, already a world historical event totally unprecedented had already happened as forces liberated people from subsistence living and pushed them in to economic specialization on a more than local scale. Everything was qualitatively different for the people of the world in a way it had never been before or after the advent of industrial capitalism.

The revolutions of the late 20th century/early 21st have been primarily informational. That's a lot, but that isn't the same force for change in terms of how people are organised in relation to other people, and how their daily lives are structured that any good cross section of the years 1830-1950 saw.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 26, 2016

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Caconym posted:

Young adults ITT blowing off the change that has happened in their lifetimes. :allears:
As if your great grandparents wouldn't be loving lost today to a whole other degree than your great great grandparents would be in the 70s...

Trying to quantify "change" or "progress" in this fashion is incredibly stupid and we're veering dangerously close to someone posting that "hole left by the Christian dark ages" chart unironically.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

QuarkJets posted:

You're kind of a weird dude. "Life changed more in this 80-year period than in this overlapping 80-year period that also includes the future"??? Do better.

I'd say that day-to-day life impact had changed more dramatically from 1900-1950 than from say 1950-today, but only if you limit your examination to the most superficial aspects of day-to-day life. Like if you just want to look at really basic first-order poo poo then that's one thing, but if you actually look at humanity as a system then holy poo poo change is way faster today.

People in 1950 weren't capable of launching a loving space crane to Mars and successfully using it remotely. That poo poo is something that you'd read about maybe in a Ray Bradbury novel, not a newspaper. This kind of thing represents such an enormous leap in capability that it becomes difficult to even compare the state of technology between the two eras.

We can put an entire football field of 1950s computational power into our loving pockets, and this is so commonplace that we use this power to watch cat videos and send pictures of our genitalia to each other for gently caress's sake.

To the contrary, you cited something which has as much impact on my life as the Matt Damon movie.

I agree that in abstract terms technological development has kept moving. A modern Intel processor is a more impressive technical feat than the moon landing and orders of magnitude more impressive than the Model T.

But when we consider impact on day to day lives nothing compares with the advancements industrialization brought. And the last 5 decades or so just havn't changed as much in ways that matter as the 5 before that.

Caveat: this is all in reference to the first world. A more sophisticated argument might note the impact modern technology has had on globalization and by extension, the impact that's had on spreading industrialization to the developed world.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you're right, my day to day existence is drastically different now what with the robotic exploration program. why just the other day i launched my own space crane to mars and

Disinterested posted:

Are we really writing off the fact that almost every society was still primarily non-urbanised in 1900 as 'superficial'. Mars landers are cool but they don't represent a meaningful change in daily lives.

Again, I don't believe that looking at immediate impact to your personal life is a good way to gauge human technological advancement. You need to look at the technologies and capabilities that make that life possible.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

you're right, my day to day existence is drastically different now what with the robotic exploration program. why just the other day i launched my own space crane to mars and

You work in SOFTWARE. :psyduck:

I work in IT, my entire career path wouldn't exist 40 years ago. poo poo, I now work mainly supporting iPads, which didn't exist until 5 years ago. This idea that the world hasn't changed as drastically in the last 50 years is absurd, there are entire fields of work that didn't exist and likewise there are entire fields of work that no longer exist.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Again, I don't believe that looking at your personal life is a good way to gauge human technological advancement. You need to look at the technologies and capabilities that make that life possible.

This seems like something of a non-sequitur to my post.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

'The balance permanently demographically shifting in industrial countries from primarily agrarian/countryside to city/industrial seems like kind of a big deal compared to Mars landers, and not at all superficial'

'Hrm stop dragging your personal feelings in to this'.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Disinterested posted:

'The balance permanently demographically shifting in industrial countries from primarily agrarian/countryside to city/industrial seems like kind of a big deal compared to Mars landers, and not at all superficial'

'Hrm stop dragging your personal feelings in to this'.

Your posts (and PTD's posts) are all saying that things like the sky crane don't really have a huge direct impact on most people's lives, correct? That is what I'm addressing. I didn't say anything about feelings, I don't know how you misread that

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Your posts (and PTD's posts) are all saying that things like the sky crane don't really have a huge direct impact on most people's lives, correct? That is what I'm addressing. I didn't say anything about feelings, I don't know how you misread that

My point is that compared to some very fundamental technologies and ideas and the accompanying structural change to society that came hand in hand with them that really comparing anything to industrialisation is a fools errand. Nothing the space program (say) has done has, for example, taken people away from subsistence agrarian life. Diversity of food is not as interesting as the abolition of famine. Improvement of surgical techniques is nothing compared to the elimination of widespread infant mortality and vast plagues. As it turns out our technological increases in a lot of areas actually have diminishing returns in improving our material lot.

You could quantify this statistically in all sorts of ways that are relevant to the lives of all people: OK, you have x amount of processing power, but what is that compared to a sudden, rapid increase in life expectancy, height, etc. etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm actually literally talking about developments within my industry that are happening right now. 10 years is about how long it takes to get some of that stuff to market and widespread use due to how tight regulatory controls on medical treatments are.

True, but not to the degree that we are now. I can collaborate with someone halfway across the world with only a bit more difficulty than someone who is within the same city.

Maybe this time will be the 10 years that actually happens, but this stuff you're talking about has been "in the next 10 years" since before Reagan was in office. And the most important part is it ain't hospitals now. I would prefer they were already here tomorrow, because I'm due for major surgery either this year or the next.

Realistically, so long as you were wealthy, you were pretty close to that point in early 1914, before things went to poo poo (especially since working with someone in your city but not in your office wasn't all that good!). In all seriousness the two world wars wrecked a lot of other forms of progress even though as they necessitated and caused many others.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The eighteenth century transition from muscle power to steam power is probably the most consequential event in human history since the agricultural revolution. It's gotten to the point that we're debating whether we've entered a new geological epoch because we're now altering basic geological conditions and processes with our machines. Nothing in the last fifty years is really comparable.

And prior to the application of chemistry and electrical power to agriculture you needed most the planet to spend most of their waking hours farming. The "second industrial revolution" of the late 19th century. To find a comparably important communications technology you'd probably have to go back to the dawn of writing.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

fishmech posted:

Maybe this time will be the 10 years that actually happens, but this stuff you're talking about has been "in the next 10 years" since before Reagan was in office. And the most important part is it ain't hospitals now. I would prefer they were already here tomorrow, because I'm due for major surgery either this year or the next.

Realistically, so long as you were wealthy, you were pretty close to that point in early 1914, before things went to poo poo (especially since working with someone in your city but not in your office wasn't all that good!). In all seriousness the two world wars wrecked a lot of other forms of progress even though as they necessitated and caused many others.

As an example, transcatheter aortic heart valve replacement surgery was deployed in the US in the last few years. You can now get a replacement aortic valve via catheter, without requiring open heart surgery. My grandmother had a pacemaker implanted via catheter. Again, no open heart surgery. Stents are being deployed to clear blocked arteries via catheter. The progress we are making is pretty amazing.

Surgeries on the abdomen aren't as high a priority simply because you don't have to break open the ribcage, but even then, laproscopic surgery is already a thing and is reducing incisions to very small 1-2cm openings.

I'm not talking hypotheticals here. This is real progress that is happening right now.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Disinterested posted:

There was bad posting on SomethingAwful last night, and whitey's on the moon.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

This idea that the world hasn't changed as drastically in the last 50 years is absurd, there are entire fields of work that didn't exist and likewise there are entire fields of work that no longer exist.

It seems that this is what people are really reacting to strongly, that when I say "I think things changed more in the first half of the twentieth century than the last half" that people thing I am somehow, cryptically, saying "I don't think things changed in the last half of the twentieth century." This would be an incorrect interpretation of my statement, that things changed more rapidly around 1900 than they have since. So I think that might be the big flaw in your rebuttal, mostly that you don't understand my argument (that things changed more around the beginning of the last century than they did around the beginning of this century) (which is not the same as saying that there has been no technological progress for decades) ((seriously it's not even close to the same statement dude))

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm not talking hypotheticals here. This is real progress that is happening right now.

Maybe one day you'll find someone who actually thinks that no progress is happening today. Unfortunately, you have not found them in this thread. Keep questing and one day you may meet your foe, and Slay him.

QuarkJets posted:

Again, I don't believe that looking at immediate impact to your personal life is a good way to gauge human technological advancement. You need to look at the technologies and capabilities that make that life possible.

I completely agree with this, and most of these technologies were invented in or prior to the first half of the 20th century (mechanized agriculture, telecommunications, modern medicine, electricity, petrochemicals, refrigeration, etc.)

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 26, 2016

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Maybe one day you'll find someone who actually thinks that no progress is happening today. Unfortunately, you have not found them in this thread. Keep questing and one day you may meet your foe, and Slay him.

Maybe one day you'll actually learn to read, but I think the heat death of the universe might come first.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I completely agree with this, and most of these technologies were invented in or prior to the first half of the 20th century (mechanized agriculture, telecommunications, modern medicine, electricity, petrochemicals, refrigeration, etc.)

Every single one of those fields is advancing faster today than in 1950. You're hand-waving away things like genetic modification and medical marvels that people in 1950 couldn't even imagine. We can create new breeds of plants nearly at will, like some sort of loving deity. That's just incredible, and nothing in the first-half of the 20th century even comes close to the possibilities unlocked by this kind of technology.

By your logic, the sum of human knowledge available in an instant, whenever you want, wherever you are, is less of an advancement than the transistor radio. Is that really your argument?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

QuarkJets posted:

By your logic, the sum of human knowledge available in an instant, whenever you want, wherever you are, is less of an advancement than the transistor radio. Is that really your argument?

You keep switching back and forth. Are we looking at the foundations of modern life or are we looking at individual technologies and systems which, while cool, aren't as fundamental to contemporary life as older systems? Make up your mind.

Also, please don't just get mad like I slapped the internet across the face or something. Nobody's impressed if you white knight the modern world, please actually make a point as to why instant entertainment is more important than sanitation.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
But with progress, there is also loss. Few people today can make a proper confit to preserve their meat, shoe a horse, or tie a Jack ketch knot. These were all commonplace skills in your average American sundown town of yesteryear and things like that have more impact on day to day life than some asteroid.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Yeah and if we're talking about revolutions in medicine nothing really compares to discovering how to prevent sepsis. That's revolutionary.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You keep switching back and forth. Are we looking at the foundations of modern life or are we looking at individual technologies and systems which, while cool, aren't as fundamental to contemporary life as older systems? Make up your mind.

I keep telling you that they're indicative of the same thing: the overall progress that mankind has achieved. I've been consistent in pointing that out, just as you've been consistent in poo-pooing modern advancements without really giving a reason and just as you've been consistent at expressing mock indignation over the whole discussion when people keep replying to you with a tone that is perplexed, not angry.

quote:

Also, please don't just get mad like I slapped the internet across the face or something. Nobody's impressed if you white knight the modern world, please actually make a point as to why instant entertainment is more important than sanitation.

Calm down dude, I never thought that you did or said that you did. No one thinks that you're attacking the Internet, and I really wouldn't care even if you did.

I'm not "white knighting" the modern world, I just find your willful ignorance over the current rate of technological advancement to be baffling. You also keep making really nonsensical assertions. Case in point, good sanitation is definitely one of the most important features of a successful civilization, but that's something that we've been able to do well for millenia. Indoor plumbing and effective sewage management are hallmarks of many ancient civilizations, and Crete even has a 4000 year-old flush toilet. Using sanitation as a measure of a post-Industrial civilization's technological progress makes very little sense. Remember, we're talking about whether technology has advanced more post-1950 than in 1900-1950; when you start talking about sanitation like it's a thing that didn't exist until the early 1900s then it just reveals that you don't actually know what you're talking about.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

But with progress, there is also loss. Few people today can make a proper confit to preserve their meat, shoe a horse, or tie a Jack ketch knot. These were all commonplace skills in your average American sundown town of yesteryear and things like that have more impact on day to day life than some asteroid.

I love your posts so much, "some asteroid" is my new favorite way to describe Mars

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
So, in TYOOL 2016, apparently some people still think the earth is flat and that the 'globe theory' is a Masonic conspiracy.

quote:

Bobby Ray Simmons Jr, better known as BoB, American rapper and music producer, believes that the Earth is flat, according to recent tweets from his account.

The rapper – who has released hits Nothin’ on You, Airplanes and Magic – posted dozens of tweets, presenting a variety of arguments as to why modern science is wrong.

“A lot of people are turned off by the phrase ‘flat earth’ ... but there’s no way u can see all the evidence and not know... grow up,” he tweeted.

He argued that if the Earth were indeed curved, evidence of that would be apparent when looking at the horizon in the distance and distant cities would be hidden from view because of curvature.

“No matter how high in elevation you are... the horizon is always eye level ... sorry cadets... I didn’t wanna believe it either,” the rapper tweeted.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are we sure organizations like the Flat Earth Society aren't just a joke?

Please tell me it's just some elaborate troll. Please.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Raxivace posted:

Are we sure organizations like the Flat Earth Society aren't just a joke?

Please tell me it's just some elaborate troll. Please.

I linked a video of a flat-Earther calling another conspiracy nut's show (but not flat-Earther) a couple of months ago, it was interesting to me because they actually explored why he believed it. At least for that guy it was really a kind of existential thing, if the Earth is flat, then it's created and has a purpose, and therefore he has a purpose. Somehow he accepts the rational argument that if the Earth is just one planet out of billions of billions in this galaxy alone, it isn't special and there's probably life elsewhere, but throws rationality completely out the window when it comes to counterarguments to the flath Earth "theory". He believes in what would probably be the biggest conspiracy ever, involving millions of people, including all pilots, architects and engineers. I don't remember him having an answer to "what would they gain from it?" though.

Ed: Found the video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsOz_J6tJVU

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Helen Highwater posted:

So, in TYOOL 2016, apparently some people still think the earth is flat and that the 'globe theory' is a Masonic conspiracy.

But... distant cities are hidden from view due to the curvature.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Dirk the Average posted:

As an example, transcatheter aortic heart valve replacement surgery was deployed in the US in the last few years. You can now get a replacement aortic valve via catheter, without requiring open heart surgery. My grandmother had a pacemaker implanted via catheter. Again, no open heart surgery. Stents are being deployed to clear blocked arteries via catheter. The progress we are making is pretty amazing.

Surgeries on the abdomen aren't as high a priority simply because you don't have to break open the ribcage, but even then, laproscopic surgery is already a thing and is reducing incisions to very small 1-2cm openings.

Uh huh. My father in law was literally saved by interventional radiology a few weeks ago after a massive heart attack.

But, and this is really simple, it turns out saving 63 year olds from sudden heart attacks has less impact on human health and day-to-day life in general than basic sanitation, vaccines and antibiotics that were all invented in the first half of the 20th century.

This topic is interesting because it's a basic piece of intellectual literacy in my opinion to understand that yes technology is still advancing at a rapid pace but to understand that the positive impact of that technology on human life has been waning (and to grasp the place industrialization has in history).

And, to take this in a more political direction, a lot of people mistakenly lump some of this slowdown into the economic or political category when it's actually just a basic case of technological diminishing returns.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

The Larch posted:

But... distant cities are hidden from view due to the curvature.

That's just what they want you to believe. Who do you trust, BoB or your own lying eyes?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

The Illuminati is just the pog empire in modern times

Instead of pogs you now have disney stars, music stars, celebrities, all under the thumb that used to slam pogs.

Don't you think it's fishy that the American Military used pogs as a currency in Iraq?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Helen Highwater posted:

Flat earthers might be the worst of all the conspiracies. Like if the earth's flat why can't you use a high powered telescope to look in the distance and see NYC from London and how do they explain the day/night cycle or multiple other things children learn in elementary science classes?

You can also see the earth's curvature from tall enough locations such as Pike's Peak.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So I've done this before in this thread, but not for quite some time. I am a former hardcore conspiracy theorist that spent 5 years in the deep end. I listened to Alex Jones every day, watched basically every conspiracy documentary that was published between 2006 through 2012. I was even into the whole Reptilian Aliens thing and saw David Icke at his infamous Cleveland appearance where he and Jessica Ventura got into a massive pissy slapfight. (My first account here was Truckin A Man and I shot my crazy conspiracy bullshit all over D&D back during the first Ron Paul revolution.)

I would be more than happy to answer any questions about my time as a hardcore loony and if you but specify a desired variety I can point you all towards some of the finest lunacy to be found within the movement. (Truly a gourmet's pick of sweet nuttiness.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

So I've done this before in this thread, but not for quite some time. I am a former hardcore conspiracy theorist that spent 5 years in the deep end. I listened to Alex Jones every day, watched basically every conspiracy documentary that was published between 2006 through 2012. I was even into the whole Reptilian Aliens thing and saw David Icke at his infamous Cleveland appearance where he and Jessica Ventura got into a massive pissy slapfight. (My first account here was Truckin A Man and I shot my crazy conspiracy bullshit all over D&D back during the first Ron Paul revolution.)

I would be more than happy to answer any questions about my time as a hardcore loony and if you but specify a desired variety I can point you all towards some of the finest lunacy to be found within the movement. (Truly a gourmet's pick of sweet nuttiness.)

Well, what got you out?

• Locked thread