Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can get a B-stock 970 for like <$250 nowadays, and that's a pretty compelling option at that price.

My Radeon 6850 is dying and I'm looking at getting a 1440 ultra widescreen monitor. Probably the Monoprice one when it comes out. Where are you seeing the b-stock 970s for that price? the EVGA site hasn't had them in months and I'll probably need something sooner rather than later.

Or should I wait for the rumored Fury price drop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

sellouts posted:

My Radeon 6850 is dying and I'm looking at getting a 1440 ultra widescreen monitor. Probably the Monoprice one when it comes out. Where are you seeing the b-stock 970s for that price? the EVGA site hasn't had them in months and I'll probably need something sooner rather than later.

Or should I wait for the rumored Fury price drop?

That really, really depends on where the Fury drops too TBH. If it's close enough to a 980, then it's a toss up between those two for 1440p IMHO. A 290/290X might also be worth it depending on your case and/or cooling solutions. A 980ti will crush all options right now but that might be out of your price range.

If you go AMD, I highly recommend MSI or Sapphire, XFX is okay if the price is right.
If you go Nvidia, MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte are the best options (in that order).

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I've been following this thread wondering if I should upgrade from a 7970 OC edition from Sapphire. The answer seems to be no since I'm still at 1920x1200 - I'll wait until I up the monitor res and the new cards are out. However, I've got a new issue - prompted by me OC'ing further after reading this thread :downs: - that maybe you folks can help me with:

I OC'ed both GPU (base 950MHz) and mem clock (base 1425 MHz) along with power (+20%) using both the AMD Settings app and Sapphire Trix. I've since reset, but the mem clock is stuck at 1575 MHz and neither the AMD Settings app nor Trix can bring it back down to 1425 MHz. I've tried killing the former and using Trix alone, but no dice. The Trix hardware monitor shows the clock stuck at 1575 no matter what I try

Here's what the Settings app looks like, notice that the mem clock slider is at the lowest value but still not at the base 1425:

Anyone know how that clock is determined? Is it stored on card or initialized from software at boot? If it's the latter, there must be a place I can edit to switch it down again. If it's the former, do you know why it would resist change from these apps?

v1ld fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 26, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Remove Trix, try getting the clocks down without it. If that doesn't work, install Afterburner and use that. Afterburner can probably take care of it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Not that this helps you at all, but this is a horrible design choice. Who had it in their mind that a translucent window would be a good idea?

It makes it look cluttered and disjointed.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Remove Trix, try getting the clocks down without it. If that doesn't work, install Afterburner and use that. Afterburner can probably take care of it.

Trix uninstalled, reboot. Install Afterburner, reboot to let it read hardware as it asks. Then tried to switch to both 1450 MHz and 1425 MHz (Reset). No dice:

I wouldn't be concerned other than I've had 2 gray-and-black striped screen lockups in the past week or so. One was while in STALKER SoC, not the most demanding game. The other while browsing today - had a bunch of tabs open, but still not demanding stuff. I did the overclock about 2 weeks ago, just noticed the stuck mem clock this week.

So, if I can't reset the thing, how do I make it stable? Up power to +20%? Up fan speeds?

Edit: I played The Witcher 3 with everything on Ultra but hair for 3 hours or so yesterday with no problems. So it's probably not a pure heat-related issue, right?

v1ld fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 26, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I'd say worst case, blow away Trixx, remove Afterburner, and do a full nuke/reinstall of the video drivers with DDU or Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode. Not sure of any glitches with using the AMD OC tool in CCC with another tool like Afterburner, but I wonder if using Trixx along with the CCC to overclock caused some oddball glitch?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I just updated my drivers a bit ago and seems like after that my 7970 (Asus DCII) is also stuck on 1575 for the memory clock. I haven't installed Trixx, just the Asus GPU Tweak (haven't run it for a while) and the AMD stuff.

Just tinkered around with it some..My slider in AMD was nonexistent - 1575 was the min and max shown, no slider there period (did not used to be like that). Opened GPU Tweak -> lowered memclock a hair and applied, new value was reflected in the Crimson monitor -> Hit default in GPU Tweak, correct default values reflected -> Closed Crimson with the normal X -> Right-clicked the tray icon and hit hide -> Opened Crimson, now my memory slider is showing back up normal in there for me. Maybe try those steps (sub GPU Tweak for Afterburner) and cross your fingers? If that doesn't do it, a rollback to the last driver may be interesting.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I tried Crimson for about 15 minutes before rolling back because I was getting artifacting and driver crashes in games as lightweight as CS:GO at stock clocks on an R9 290. Something is massively hosed with that driver release.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Weird as hell. I've never run anything else on my 290 and it's been rock steady, which was a pleasant change from my 970.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I need quiet air coolers for a pair of 980Ti. I have the EVGA Hybrid coolers on there, but I've never managed to get the fans quiet enough, and now I think both of them are gurgling at me.

What's the recommendation? I think they have to stay 2-slot unless I buy another motherboard, which I'm not planning to do until a Pascal-era rebuild.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Subjunctive posted:

I need quiet air coolers for a pair of 980Ti. I have the EVGA Hybrid coolers on there, but I've never managed to get the fans quiet enough, and now I think both of them are gurgling at me.

What's the recommendation? I think they have to stay 2-slot unless I buy another motherboard, which I'm not planning to do until a Pascal-era rebuild.

Sell them both and buy two brand new ones :(

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

AMD just launched GPUOpen and released the source to a lot of their proprietary software under the BSD license.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Weird as hell. I've never run anything else on my 290 and it's been rock steady, which was a pleasant change from my 970.

Same, except for occasional black blips which I think is down to my cable. I don't get artifacts, just a weird millisecond black frame (if I am describing it right).

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Subjunctive posted:

Have you looked into Arctic Cooling? Their stuff is usually pretty phenomenal in both sound level and dissipation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Panty Saluter posted:

Have you looked into Arctic Cooling? Their stuff is usually pretty phenomenal in both sound level and dissipation.

I've used them in the moderately distant past, yeah. Wasn't sure if they'd work in an SLI setup.

Would you recommend the Extreme III or IV? I'm not sure exactly how they differ.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Subjunctive posted:

I've used them in the moderately distant past, yeah. Wasn't sure if they'd work in an SLI setup.

Would you recommend the Extreme III or IV? I'm not sure exactly how they differ.

I haven't used either of them but the Accelero worked wonders on my 4850 :v: I guess they might still be a bit tall for an SLI setup, I have no idea what your clearance is like.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Panty Saluter posted:

I haven't used either of them but the Accelero worked wonders on my 4850 :v: I guess they might still be a bit tall for an SLI setup, I have no idea what your clearance is like.

I'm more worried about one card blowing hot air into the (hot) back of another, but maybe good cross-flow (somehow) could solve that.

Pretty close to unloading one 980Ti at a fire sale price and returning to sanity.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Subjunctive posted:

I'm more worried about one card blowing hot air into the (hot) back of another, but maybe good cross-flow (somehow) could solve that.

Pretty close to unloading one 980Ti at a fire sale price and returning to sanity.

That was my experience with open air coolers in SLI in general. Can't comment about these coolers in particular but if the main goal here is to reduce noise I'm not sure it's gonna be a great solution (unless the evga hybrids are just way loud or something).

In SLI my top card would be around 10-15 degrees hotter (660tis, and many variations of 770s, for what its worth). While it rarely affected performance potential that top card was always running its fans hard. My ultimate cheap solution was a bracket and AIO on the top card and the quietest air cooler on the bottom which worked well. What noise exactly are you getting with the hybrids? I know you've said it before but

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My fan setup has to be wrong, everything is at max when I'm sitting in a Sherlock Holmes game and it sounds like a leafblower. I dicked around with Afterburner and my motherboard software, and never figured it out (plus at boot it's ALL THE FANS before software takes over).

I have some resistor cables, maybe I'll try that.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Subjunctive posted:

My fan setup has to be wrong, everything is at max when I'm sitting in a Sherlock Holmes game and it sounds like a leafblower. I dicked around with Afterburner and my motherboard software, and never figured it out (plus at boot it's ALL THE FANS before software takes over).

I have to agree that sounds wrong. AIO fans should barely be spinning on GPUs (edit: at low temps of course)

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Bunch of places repeating the same rumours now. Techfrag, OC3D and the like all claiming Pascal GP100 Titan will be announced for order at GTC in April with very limited supplies and enough expensive HBM2 to weight it more towards pro than prosumer. GP100 1080Ti will be later in the year once stockpiles are big enough to ensure supplies but it's still going to be loving expensive.

GP104 based GTX 1080 and 1070 will be out after Computex in June, around the same time Polaris launches using GDDR5x with gaming performance significantly higher than 980Ti or TitanX but presumably less memory.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Nice, one more year of competitive pricing at least

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Verizian posted:

Bunch of places repeating the same rumours now. Techfrag, OC3D and the like all claiming Pascal GP100 Titan will be announced for order at GTC in April with very limited supplies and enough expensive HBM2 to weight it more towards pro than prosumer.

I am so on board the new Titan hype train :toot:

Assuming it doesn't suck somehow

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Verizian posted:

GP104 based GTX 1080 and 1070 will be out after Computex in June, around the same time Polaris launches using GDDR5x with gaming performance significantly higher than 980Ti or TitanX but presumably less memory.

Less memory than TitanX or both? :v:

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

KakerMix posted:

The price will suck.

( :rip: my wallet )

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yeah I doubt we'll see another year of $1000 titans. Who knows though... if polaris is good they'd have good incentive. But they are sitting so pretty in the market too

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Betting the debut price of big Pascal could get you that Dell OLED. They're almost surely going to have price themselves out of some steep yield problems.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I thought 16nmFF+ had reached volume production yet, is Nvidia going ahead on 16nmFF instead?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pricing Titan high also anchors the price/perf comparisons in a place that makes their other offerings look even better. Risky if AMD can beat them on price/perf in the mid-high market, but they haven't been able to really hurt them there lately.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
For reference. The compulsory speculative asian-language question-mark filled roadmap slide:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AMD is using Samsung's 14nm so seeing yield differences will be pretty interesting.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Apparently AMD just launched GPUOpen.

http://gpuopen.com/welcometogpuopen/

Be interesting to see NVIDIA/Intel's response.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

That was my experience with open air coolers in SLI in general. Can't comment about these coolers in particular but if the main goal here is to reduce noise I'm not sure it's gonna be a great solution (unless the evga hybrids are just way loud or something).

In SLI my top card would be around 10-15 degrees hotter (660tis, and many variations of 770s, for what its worth). While it rarely affected performance potential that top card was always running its fans hard. My ultimate cheap solution was a bracket and AIO on the top card and the quietest air cooler on the bottom which worked well. What noise exactly are you getting with the hybrids? I know you've said it before but

Yeah, SLI is usually tough on the top card - back years ago I SLI'd a couple 465 cards together and even though there was plenty of space, the heat from the back of the bottom card was just getting sucked into the top card and making it run warmer. Idle/load temps were great on the bottom card but like you said, sucked for the top card, forcing the fan to run faster because it was a minimum 10ºC hotter.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Subjunctive posted:

Are you using a 60hz monitor? Limit framerate to 60fps in precision X and it will bring down temps quite a bit.

Some people also do a reference blower on bottom and open air on top.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Use a Fury X, it doesn't care where it goes! :science:

(Seriously though it is a perfect form factor for the job)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don Lapre posted:

Are you using a 60hz monitor? Limit framerate to 60fps in precision X and it will bring down temps quite a bit.

Some people also do a reference blower on bottom and open air on top.

144Hz. Wonder where to get a reference cooler to stick on; my original ones became 8-year-old craft material before I thought about it. Hmm, hmm.

This SLI thing might not be long for my world.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My current secondary monitor is starting to go bad and im in a good position to try out something new. It turns out its not the cables as I first thought.

I'm thinking of a 24" 1080p gsync with a high refresh rate. I have a 980ti so im confident I can hit the high fps's.
Is g-sync at all worth it? Would just a nice 120+hz monitor be as big of a jump up in gaming performance compared to gsync?

The only reservation I have is that spending an additional 100 or so gets me an oculus rift. Do any of the big retailers like best buy have gsync demos?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 27, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Fauxtool posted:

My current monitor is starting to go bad and im in a good position to try out something new.
I'm thinking of a 24" 1080p gsync with a high refresh rate. I have a 980ti so im confident I can hit the high fps's.
Is g-sync at all worth it? Would just a nice 120+hz monitor be as big of a jump up in gaming performance compared to gsync?

The only reservation I have is that spending an additional 100 or so gets me an oculus rift. Do any of the big retailers like best buy have gsync demos?

I've not seen it at best buy, but I have at Fry's, Microcenter, things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gsync is about what happens when you don't hit the frame rate target. It means that "roughly 60Hz" is about the same experience as "always 60Hz"; similarly for 120Hz. Without gsync a drop to 59Hz behaves like 30Hz and you feel the jank.

I would be surprised to find a store demoing gsync effectively. It would need to alternate between hitting frame rate and not, and showing it with/without.

I would personally choose 60-with-gsync over 120-without-gsync. 60 is pretty smooth if you can hit it all the time, and gsync means you're likely to "hit it" all the time. I don't think even a 980Ti is going to keep ultra settings above 120 all the time (maybe not 60 all the time even), and missing without gsync is annoying.