Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SpacePig posted:

One of the weirdest things I've heard from my dad about this is that he is incredibly against wind and solar farms for some reason, but 100% in favor of more nuclear plants. It's really strange that somehow something that's technically cleaner but with an actively dangerous waste product is somehow better for the environment than a big windmill.

I thought nuclear plants were fine but the problem is that when you say 'nuclear plant' people think Chernobyl and that keeps us from utilizing it as a source of power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I thought nuclear plants were fine but the problem is that when you say 'nuclear plant' people think Chernobyl and that keeps us from utilizing it as a source of power?

Nuclear is relatively clean as long as you have some place in the desert to stick all your spent rods. And you don't build your reactors on a fault line and/or near the ocean. Or let the Russians run safety tests.

Switching from coal to natural gas did a whole lot more to lower pollution than trying to build more nuclear power plants. But you get all that cheap, clean natural gas via fracking.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
There's also the fact that people see it as white-collar academics vs. blue-collar workers. Coal and oil employ a lot of people in some regions.

There was a great sign I saw driving through central Pennsylvania: "The sun sets, the wind dies down, but coal is forever." That's honestly what a lot of people believe.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

hyperhazard posted:

There was a great sign I saw driving through central Pennsylvania: "The sun sets, the wind dies down, but coal is forever." That's honestly what a lot of people believe.
It's an relatively accurate point. Solar and wind are very volatile power sources; for them to be a substantial portion of production would require an extensive power storage infrastructure to smooth over their peaks and valleys. Coal and other such 'fueled' plants don't have that problem.

edit: Well, not 'forever,' obviously. But still, ah. Continuous.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Jan 26, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

There are modern reactor designs that are optimized for power production rather than breeding, say, plutonium, and they produce very little waste (read: they can continue burning "spent" fuel rods).

We just refuse to build those because, again, chernobyl. Which was an early 1st-gen reactor design that intentionally had all power to the cooling system shut down to see if it could run off the residual power in the core. And then was left that way over a shift change.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think W's greatest triumph was that he actually got people to believe in that "simple country boy" persona of his. His supporters liked it because it made him a relatable guy you could have a beer with that wasn't tied up in all that fancy Washington bullshit despite being a Ivy League educated son of a president who was vice-president before that. His opponents bought it because LOL BU$HITLER IS A BRAINLESS MONKEY.

I mean I don't think he's any sort of genius but I think he's probably by far the smartest Bush brother.

Snl claims it was because of will ferrels portrayal o f W. It was one of his better characters but I think the image was out there before it

Indolent Bastard posted:

Better are the tumblr-ites that rally for these characters because they are "queer" and for no other reason. They could be as lovely and two-dimensional as any other character, but the fact that they are now "queer" makes them above reproach and anyone levying any criticism against them is a bigot.

I recently had to hear how Deadpool is awesome because he is pan-sexual, so that makes him cool. Yup that is why I should care about a character, because he would gently caress/date anything and everything, no other reasons needed.

I dunno isn't deadpool obsessed with nailing death. Doesn't sound very pansexual to me. Esp when its gaimans version of death they keep hinting at.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh so THAT'S why the Deadpool movie is rated R. Just to cover Marvel's rear end in case he decides to gently caress a gay waffle iron or something on camera.
Fox owns the rights to deadpool and has to poo poo out a movie or lose them. Its to cover Fox's rear end.

snergle has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Jan 26, 2016

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Strudel Man posted:

It's an relatively accurate point. Solar and wind are very volatile power sources; for them to be a substantial portion of production would require an extensive power storage infrastructure to smooth over their peaks and valleys. Coal and other such 'fueled' plants don't have that problem.

edit: Well, not 'forever,' obviously. But still, ah. Continuous.

Right, it was the forever part that got me. It was basically missing the forest for the trees.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh my sweet gods. I don't know if I should post this here or in the schadenfreude thread but, just, drat.

https://www.facebook.com/rikeste/videos/993795060693888/

HAHAHAHA. "Say something in cat." [awkward pause] "MEOW MEOW MEOW"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Enourmo posted:

There are modern reactor designs that are optimized for power production rather than breeding, say, plutonium, and they produce very little waste (read: they can continue burning "spent" fuel rods).

We just refuse to build those because, again, chernobyl. Which was an early 1st-gen reactor design that intentionally had all power to the cooling system shut down to see if it could run off the residual power in the core. And then was left that way over a shift change.

It's also not like America hasn't had it's own nuclear power plant failures as well. FERMI I in Monroe, MI melted down horribly, although there wasn't any deadly fallout like Chernobyl. DTE was able to recoup their losses patenting equipment, robots, and procedures for the cleanup and went on to build FERMI II, where I worked for a year.

Edit:

Nuclear is still cleaner and safer than coal or natural gas, though.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

It's also not like America hasn't had it's own nuclear power plant failures as well. FERMI I in Monroe, MI melted down horribly, although there wasn't any deadly fallout like Chernobyl. DTE was able to recoup their losses patenting equipment, robots, and procedures for the cleanup and went on to build FERMI II, where I worked for a year.

Edit:

It's still pretty dirty but in a different way that unfortunately is way more visible to people despite its relatively low impact. Seeing barrels of waste rather than steam and smoke out a stack has a much different impact to people. That said, we've made strides in making nuclear waste that'll last hundreds of years rather than hundreds of thousands.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

hyperhazard posted:

There's also the fact that people see it as white-collar academics vs. blue-collar workers. Coal and oil employ a lot of people in some regions.

Isn't that the same state where they accidentally set some massive coal deposit on fire, and it's slated to keep on burning for at least the next couple hundred years?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm not sure what to make of this.

https://www.facebook.com/prageru/videos/995271883849001/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Counts as IOSM because the underlying message is "we clam that we lack gender equality so we need to return to what we were doing 40 years ago back when we had ideal gender equality"

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Wow, I didn't know there were women in the MRA movements. :psypop:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Regalingualius posted:

Isn't that the same state where they accidentally set some massive coal deposit on fire, and it's slated to keep on burning for at least the next couple hundred years?

Well, yes, but it makes sense that a state with a lot of coal would have a coal fire.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Regalingualius posted:

Centralia, which is actually a fascinating story.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They missed a trick by not putting a cucumber behind the crazy cat lady.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Karma Monkey posted:

Wow, I didn't know there were women in the MRA movements. :psypop:

YouTube recommends a lot of MRA videos to me because I also watch video game videos, and there is a lot of overlap between Gamergaters, video games, and MRAs. There were a couple women but I couldn't remember their names, and when I tried to google, I found this article that attempts to explain why white women think men are the truly disadvantaged party these days.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I think there's some credence to the argument that the current education system caters more to girls than boys but it's being overblown here. It's way better to boys than it used to be with girls. There's big problems with STEM fields with girls, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Intoluene posted:

I think there's some credence to the argument that the current education system caters more to girls than boys but it's being overblown here. It's way better to boys than it used to be with girls. There's big problems with STEM fields with girls, too.

The vid is also strawman to the max, verging on "everyone is idiots" fallacies. It keeps hammering on these things that each exactly happened one time ever (the pop tart gun) and which 100% of onlookers decided were stupid as gently caress, and then holds them as key examples of the problems with the modern education system in the US. Also the likelihood that every teacher is making boys read Little House on the Prairie and forbidding anything of any other style (and that every girl loves that poo poo and every boy hates it) approaches zero. Acceptable course material is still probably mostly stuff written by (white) men anyway.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

There is a problem with how boys are expected to behave in ECE and further into their educations, as far as I've seen there's nothing MRA about it because most people are fine with keeping the things that work for girls while they change things that work better for boys.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

SpacePig posted:

There's also the idea that the government regulating anything at all is bad, and that we (and by extension, corporations) should be allowed to use whatever fuel source we want, regardless of the harm it does to the environment.

One of the weirdest things I've heard from my dad about this is that he is incredibly against wind and solar farms for some reason, but 100% in favor of more nuclear plants. It's really strange that somehow something that's technically cleaner but with an actively dangerous waste product is somehow better for the environment than a big windmill.

Opponents of renewables/proponents of nuclear (there is a 99% overlap) loudly complain about government subsidies for renewables, claiming unfair advantage. However, they never seem know just how much subsidy money is involved in nuclear power and waste remediation. It's not cheap and heavily supported by government.

quote:

Edit:

Don't forget about the Davis Besse nuclear power plant in Ohio. It was very close to a serious reactor problem in 2002 when it was discovered that the reactor pressure vessel (containing active fuel rods undergoing reaction) had eroded to less than 1/4 inch of stainless outer cladding due to really lovely maintenance. As usual, management had been warned about the problem multiple times and promptly ignored it.
Had that gone wrong, it could have been close to Chernobyl/Fukushima in scale.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Jan 26, 2016

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Christo posted:

Do flat-earthers ever explain what the end game to all this supposed conspiracy is? Who's profiting from the round earth lie?

Big Satellite.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
This is 90% awesome but possibly 10% idiot:

The chief software engineer for the Apollo Program was the woman pictured here. She was a breakthrough programmer who, amongst other things, did develop the software for Apollo. Basically, she has a long resume that would be impressive even if she wasn't a young woman trying to work in the male-dominated field of aerospace in the 1960s.So all that is really cool and informative.

The problem here is it has to throw in that she wrote all the code by hand, which seems pretty improbable to me. Wikipedia says that she was the leader of a team, and it seems likely that they would have more than one programmer working on Apollo 11. It seems silly to me to make up some hyperbole about her accomplishments when they are incredible anyway.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Considering that they programmed the Apollo computer by literally weaving magnetic rope, I wouldn't be surprised that it was hand written. She probably didn't write all of it though.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

glowing-fish posted:

This is 90% awesome but possibly 10% idiot:

The chief software engineer for the Apollo Program was the woman pictured here. She was a breakthrough programmer who, amongst other things, did develop the software for Apollo. Basically, she has a long resume that would be impressive even if she wasn't a young woman trying to work in the male-dominated field of aerospace in the 1960s.So all that is really cool and informative.

The problem here is it has to throw in that she wrote all the code by hand, which seems pretty improbable to me. Wikipedia says that she was the leader of a team, and it seems likely that they would have more than one programmer working on Apollo 11. It seems silly to me to make up some hyperbole about her accomplishments when they are incredible anyway.

That same image on her Wikipedia article has the following caption:

quote:

Margaret Hamilton standing next to listings of the Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) source code[9]

That makes a lot more sense. It's simply all the AGC code, which was written by a bunch of people at MIT - not her exclusively.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Hey awesome. It's the video my roommate loves to quote.

As for the stuff in the video, well let's see. Getting boys to read is important. Just like it is important to get girls to read. Everyone should be reading. This isn't a boys issue or a girls issue. Reading begins at home, and it is really up to the parents to get their children to read. A lot of the stuff posted in the video seems awfully anecdotal and not much sources given as well. I liked how the narrator lady talked about the boy drawing a picture of decapitation and the dad taking issue that the teacher brought it up due to her "overwrought and female reaction". Because male teachers wouldn't care too much about kids drawing pictures of decapitation at all.
The point about disapproval and such works both ways and it is more the sign of a lovely teacher then education system that constantly disapproves of students.
I agree that zero tolerance is stupid as gently caress, but again, besides anecdotal stories about one student, it doesn't really mention what boys did to get most of the suspensions.
As for games dissappearing I am surprised she didn't say such dated things like marbles and jax not being played any more. She believes that the removal of some games are the schools fault more than those games just not being favoured anymore by students.

Jesus, this video was stupid.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hate it when people take awesome photos like that and feel that they're simply not cool enough, and need to have exaggerations applied to them which can be disproved in seconds. Just means people pass over stuff that is already rad in its own rights.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

hyperhazard posted:

Right, it was the forever part that got me. It was basically missing the forest for the trees.

There's so much coal underground that we would probably die of black lung before we could use it all.

The civilization that rises from the ashes of our own will never lack for coal.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Enourmo posted:

E: ^ Please don't shame ancient Egypt. ^

I can't find it now but I saw a political cartoon the other day, it was an artist holding up one of those "SO MUCH FOR GLOBAL WARMING" cartoons and saying "hmm, i seem to be making these later and later every year..."

Matt Bors

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
would this be iosm or schadenfreude? http://internet.gawker.com/tony-the-tiger-turns-his-back-on-twitters-horny-furries-1755249263

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Both.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

stupid idiot fucker Prager content aside, I am so over this infographic aesthetic with flashy vector images flashing all over the screen in different fonts. It's so irritating, I hate it

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

wanna gently caress dat frosted flake

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

:mmmsmug:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Frog Act posted:

stupid idiot fucker Prager content aside, I am so over this infographic aesthetic with flashy vector images flashing all over the screen in different fonts. It's so irritating, I hate it

It's very effective though.

You could have the most blatantly dishonest information ever but if its presented in a flashy ADHD way people are gonna loving eat it up.

tramsosMAI
Feb 29, 2008

So I said to myself "there's no way this whole health campaign actually happened without ANYONE knowing the connotations of 'the D', right? That couldn't have happened"... then my uncle told me (a teacher) to give my students Ds and frankly I laughed forever.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

If I was Tony, turning my back to them sounds like it could be a dangerous move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tramsosMAI posted:

So I said to myself "there's no way this whole health campaign actually happened without ANYONE knowing the connotations of 'the D', right? That couldn't have happened"... then my uncle told me (a teacher) to give my students Ds and frankly I laughed forever.

And then out of nowhere he just said "I hate rap." :confused: