Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

anthonypants posted:

It's Microsoft's solution to social media for business.

Microsoft Buys Yammer for 1.2 Billion

tomapot posted:

Have it and I'm an active user. Pretty popular at our company, about 35k users (100k plus employees overall). Not sure how many active off the top of my head. There are a lot of valid use cases for the tool.

I'm about to get on a plane so I can PM you about it if you have any specific questions or I can post some stuff back into this thread.

Interesting, it's just I'm surprised that Microsoft spent so much on the purchase yet it appears it hasn't really changed much? What are some examples of how the company is using the product?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Email exchange with my boss yesterday:

Him: I've been working through testing the new application stack you set up for <x>, and I can't hit this web url.

Me: Not sure what's the problem there, I asked <SR Admin who's out the door Friday> to test each web server services individually and through the VIP, apparently he didn't do that. I'll recheck everything.

Him: <SR Admin> doesn't know how close he came to being walked out the door, but he's someone else's problem now.

Uhh, that's just a bit unprofessional there chief, you just don't say poo poo like that to your subordinates no matter how much you trust my discretion. :catstare:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does anyone use Office @ Hand from AT&T?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Does anyone use Office @ Hand from AT&T?

I'd like to know this to. We have them coming in for a demo next week, after two prior meetings, to give everyone an idea of how the system will work. I can give you an update after that. The big selling point for us so far is that you can install modules that will use nearby cell towers if your connection goes down for any reason.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My supervisor is throwing a fit because people miss or are slightly late to his short meetings because we are trying to work on something with a client. So now they have to be scheduled either 30 minutes before or after work.

What a child.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SaltLick posted:

My supervisor is throwing a fit because people miss or are slightly late to his short meetings because we are trying to work on something with a client. So now they have to be scheduled either 30 minutes before or after work.

What a child.

Guess which meetings I would continue to miss.

Looking at resumes can be head ache. Because the position I am hiring for is entry level with relaxed requirements, I am getting a ton of the usual truck drivers, retail workers, and the like without any IT experience or even IT aspirations on their resume. I am also getting these unusual perfect resumes with these really odd gaps.

One guy for example has his associates at a community college for an IT thing. Great! His graduation date was in 2011 and he doesn't have a job on his resume from then on. What did you do in that time? Were you chilling with the parents? Did you backpack Europe? Did you get locked up for smoking the green? Did you do work you weren't proud of?

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 26, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sickening posted:

He gave us the options of 7:30 and 5:30.

Yea I'm not going to be going

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

SaltLick posted:

What a child.
His fit is about to graduate to shitfit.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sickening posted:

One guy for example has his associates at a community college for an IT thing. Great! His graduation date was in 2011 and he doesn't have a job on his resume from then on. What did you do in that time? Were you chilling with the parents? Did you backpack Europe? Did you get locked up for smoking the green? Did you do work you weren't proud of?

Jail?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
At a new client site in a small town outside of the city. OpenDNS is set up to block the forums out here. Let's just fix that...

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Sickening posted:

Looking at resumes can be head ache. Because the position I am hiring for is entry level with relaxed requirements, I am getting a ton of the usual truck drivers, retail workers, and the like without any IT experience or even IT aspirations on their resume. I am also getting these unusual perfect resumes with these really odd gaps.

Maybe they aren't listing work that isn't in IT and don't want to list it or don't think it's worth listing ?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

crunk dork posted:

Maybe they aren't listing work that isn't in IT and don't want to list it or don't think it's worth listing ?

Still list it. Résumé gaps are bad.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Still list it. Résumé gaps are bad.

Ya I know that but I'm just trying to think of possible reasons. He could always just call the guy and ask what the deal is too?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

DigitalMocking posted:

Before:

:barf:

After:

:allears:

This did not get nearly enough love.

You, sir, are doing the lords work.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

crunk dork posted:

Ya I know that but I'm just trying to think of possible reasons. He could always just call the guy and ask what the deal is too?

If I have to call you for you to explain why there is a gap on your resume for an entry level job, you're doing it wrong. Your resume needs to tell that story, esp when you're competing against dozens of other candidates.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

If I have to call you for you to explain why there is a gap on your resume for an entry level job, you're doing it wrong. Your resume needs to tell that story, esp when you're competing against dozens of other candidates.

How big of a gap can you get away with? When I moved from Alaska back down to the lower 48 I worked on the family farm for about 3 months during harvest before going to the work place. I've always just told people thats what I was doing during the time and it hasnt seemed to be an issue. Some people get a real hard on for farming for some reason. But I wonder how many people just skipped past my resume because of that gap.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How big of a gap can you get away with? When I moved from Alaska back down to the lower 48 I worked on the family farm for about 3 months during harvest before going to the work place. I've always just told people thats what I was doing during the time and it hasnt seemed to be an issue. Some people get a real hard on for farming for some reason. But I wonder how many people just skipped past my resume because of that gap.

3 months isn't bad at all.

I might just say "Took time to help with family business" or something similar. Bonus points for a subtle Aunt Beru or Tosche Station reference.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

To kinda add to this could you add a short entry mentiong "Family caretaking" or something along those lines or is it best to just have a small gap?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't immediately disqualify a potential candidate for a resume gap, if someone has a solid resume with a gap I'll probably still interview them, but I will ask about the gap.

If it's a borderline resume with a gap, well it tends to tip the scale to do not interview. I'm a pretty understanding guy, if you got laid off and had to work at Pizza hut for 6 months to pay the bills, no big deal, but generally a large employment gap is concerning. I don't thing anything of 3 months or less to be honest. That's just me though.

My brother used to work his butt off for about 6 months at a time, save up a bunch of money, and then just live off his savings for 6 to 9 months before he got another job. He lived cheap and liked that lifestyle when he was younger.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

skipdogg posted:

I don't immediately disqualify a potential candidate for a resume gap, if someone has a solid resume with a gap I'll probably still interview them, but I will ask about the gap.

If it's a borderline resume with a gap, well it tends to tip the scale to do not interview. I'm a pretty understanding guy, if you got laid off and had to work at Pizza hut for 6 months to pay the bills, no big deal, but generally a large employment gap is concerning. I don't thing anything of 3 months or less to be honest. That's just me though.

To add to this, it's very different if you have an established skill set and have worked in the field for some time. I'd be willing to overlook a two year gap for "caring for a parent" or whatever for a talented developer.

The original post was in reference to an entry level gig though and you really need to define that because of the amount of competition for roles like that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds like there's not much to compete against in this case.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

KillHour posted:

Sounds like there's not much to compete against in this case.

I received 102 resumes in less than 24 hours. After cutting away all the truck drivers and retail workers without any IT aspirations, there will be plenty of competition.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

I received 102 resumes in less than 24 hours. After cutting away all the truck drivers and retail workers without any IT aspirations, there will be plenty of competition.
Reminds me of the time I interviewed a boat mechanic for a mid-level Windows admin position and he got really hostile and accused me of laughing at him after he told a funny story about a user

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Vulture Culture posted:

Reminds me of the time I interviewed a boat mechanic for a mid-level Windows admin position and he got really hostile and accused me of laughing at him after he told a funny story about a user

Was the user actually him?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

MF_James posted:

:suspense:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Sickening posted:

I got one from a goat farmer, and then another for a butcher. I really wanted to hire both of them together.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Side note: "Customer service subcontractor" is a pseudonym for "stripper"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How Hire-able am I?

2 years Remote Support Experience (in one of Inc 500's "Fastest Growing Companies")
Comptia A+ Certified
In progress BS in Information Technology
Early -> mid 20s

I'm wanting to bail because in our office their is only "Tier 1." There's no awy to grow into a supervisor or higher paying position because we share supervisors which the much larger Customer Service division, and so they end up hiring / promoting each other. I'd like to make more then 14.70 an hour some day, and I can barely afford to live where I am, or even an hour from where I am. If I start applying where should I start since I have experience in the field?

Does my experience match "the norm?"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
What area are you in?

From a cursory glance I'd think you should have fairly good luck in certain job markets. MSPs would love to have you and should pay more than 14.70, though there's still no room to grow unless you leave. Otherwise tier 1 support lines look like a good opportunity that should pay more unless you're deep in the south like Larches, where 30k is good salary.

Once you finish the bachelors you'll open up a lot more doors. Maybe shoot for another cert like CCNA or MCSA and junior admin positions will be ripe for the picking.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MF_James posted:

Probably not, but the interview was over after he bragged twice about ending a pissing match between the systems and network teams over who owns DNS by turning off Active Directory DNS in the middle of the work week

I miss doing bad interviews, it was like Maury Povich

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What area are you in?

From a cursory glance I'd think you should have fairly good luck in certain job markets. MSPs would love to have you and should pay more than 14.70, though there's still no room to grow unless you leave. Otherwise tier 1 support lines look like a good opportunity that should pay more unless you're deep in the south like Larches, where 30k is good salary.

Once you finish the bachelors you'll open up a lot more doors. Maybe shoot for another cert like CCNA or MCSA and junior admin positions will be ripe for the picking.

East Bay Area, about an hour and a half from Silicon Valley.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: Double Post.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

Probably not, but the interview was over after he bragged twice about ending a pissing match between the systems and network teams over who owns DNS by turning off Active Directory DNS in the middle of the work week

Like... so you slam dunk their resume right in front of them? I feel like someone like that needs that kind of reality wakeup call. I feel like that would have been an act of mercy he needed to get his career back on track.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vulture Culture posted:

:stare:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vulture Culture posted:

This is loving hilarious.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

How Hire-able am I?

2 years Remote Support Experience (in one of Inc 500's "Fastest Growing Companies")
Comptia A+ Certified
In progress BS in Information Technology
Early -> mid 20s

I'm wanting to bail because in our office their is only "Tier 1." There's no awy to grow into a supervisor or higher paying position because we share supervisors which the much larger Customer Service division, and so they end up hiring / promoting each other. I'd like to make more then 14.70 an hour some day, and I can barely afford to live where I am, or even an hour from where I am. If I start applying where should I start since I have experience in the field?

Does my experience match "the norm?"

I moved up to 20/hr as helpdesk with nothing but 4 years of phone tech support experience and my A+... and that was in San Bruno. Now I'm in Santa Cruz and making even better money.

Silicon valley area is always looking for more helldesk people or tech support people. Just takes a few years experience to get a wide enough knowledge base that people will jump on you.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Vulture Culture posted:

Ooooh, can it be bad interview story time?

We were hiring for tier 1 up here in Portland, OR. We pay a bit above industry for tier 1 ($24-26/hr I believe) so we're looking for pretty competent folk. We use a local staffing firm to do the first round of weeding out for us, so the people we're doing interviews with have supposedly been vetted already.

I'm first up to interview this candidate after he makes pleasant with the HR lady. One of the other interviewers and I have a policy, whichever of us goes first gets to be good cop, softball questions, just get to know the guy, whoever is second is a complete dick, super hard questions, no laughing, poo poo like that. So I enter the room, say hi, shake his hand and I notice that 1) his hand is sweaty, 2) he's sweaty and 3) he seems very nervous. I'm willing to chalk that up to nerves, so lets start the interview.

I can't get this kid to answer me straight on even the softest of creampuff questions. He keeps looking around, can't focus. 15 minutes in, I can see literal pit sweat starting to show. Meanwhile, he's telling me OVER AND OVER how excited he is about the job, company, opportunity etc. Finally I ask him if he's feeling OK, he seems a little nervous to me, and as god is my witness, this is his answer: "I didn't sleep last night because I didn't want to sleep through my alarm, so I had a triple espresso and 4 red bulls just before I came in so I'd be super alert!"

Needless to say, he did not get the job.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Vulture Culture posted:

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Protip:

When you are able, create a moonlighting gig (an alternate email address will siffice) in which you are the sole proprietor performing "IT consulting". Get a couple of gigs doing desktop support or whatever you are able to do (web development, WAMP/LAMP crap, whatever) and then your resume can have a "Agrikk Consulting (January 2000 - Present)" slot on your resume that neatly covers any gaps you might have in your "real" career.

Have a gap in your resume? "I was focusing on my consulting gig full time."
Got a full time gig? "My consulting gig went on the back burner though I still have the occasional gig."