Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Would that be this Wednesday or next Wednesday? The PS+ freebies usually come out on the 6th, right?

I would say this Wednesday, I think the freebies come out on the first Tuesday if the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I would say this Wednesday, I think the freebies come out on the first Tuesday if the month.

Yeah, definitely either this Wednesday or Thursday.

Optimistic answer would be Crypt of the Necrodancer, but since it's being sold in Japan that's pretty unlikely.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Skychrono posted:

Yeah, definitely either this Wednesday or Thursday.

Optimistic answer would be Crypt of the Necrodancer, but since it's being sold in Japan that's pretty unlikely.
Yeah, Crypt of the Necrodancer has already been confirmed as not it. Not that they couldn't just put that one in half a year from now anyway though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

By the end of it I felt like Not A Hero was also trash.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

loving sign-in failed on the web store for a week now. fix your awful poo poo sony

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Would that be this Wednesday or next Wednesday? The PS+ freebies usually come out on the 6th, right?

They come out the first Tuesday of the month.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Justin_Brett posted:

By the end of it I felt like Not A Hero was also trash.
Well yeah, but it's all relative. At least Devolver trash is usually pretty

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Awesome! posted:

loving sign-in failed on the web store for a week now. fix your awful poo poo sony

clear out your cookies and disable your ad/scriptblockers

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Syrinxx posted:

I am the goon-loathed type of gamer who uses trophies/achievements to help motivate me through games so I'm looking forward to a version of VC with trophies to unlock. This is gonna be sweet.

My biggest issue with VC (a game I liked a lot) was that the best and sometime the only way to get the best ranks in missions was to cheese it. It was based on speed, so you'd just rush a single character to specific checkpoints or something like that. Am I remembering right? If you slowly and methodically clear a level efficiently you end up with a lovely rank. If there are rank based trophies it's going to force you to play the game in a specific, and unfun, way.

I doubt they'll change this, but I'll probably still get it and just ignore ranks.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Gravy Jones posted:

My biggest issue with VC (a game I liked a lot) was that the best and sometime the only way to get the best ranks in missions was to cheese it. It was based on speed, so you'd just rush a single character to specific checkpoints or something like that. Am I remembering right? If you slowly and methodically clear a level efficiently you end up with a lovely rank. If there are rank based trophies it's going to force you to play the game in a specific, and unfun, way.

I doubt they'll change this, but I'll probably still get it and just ignore ranks.

It was. But the game also had other problems, like uneven difficulty and some missions having bullshit changes in them that will absolutely wreck you if you aren't prepared for it (which is impossible if you don't know about it)

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
I don't know if anyone already posted about it, but Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (PS4) is coming to EU/NA. :)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Gravy Jones posted:

Yeah, the ranking made it unfun bullshit sometimes, but it's not too difficult to get a decent rank in most of the missions even if you do it a fun way instead of a "correct" way. I pretty consistently got Bs even the first time I played just by basically playing the way I wanted. This is absolutely a game I will buy again, and I really hope that they make another proper VC game for either the PS4 or PS Vita.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Do y'all know how the Phantasy Star Online 2 beta works?

The automatic page translation says:
■ closed β test scheduled
February 25, 2016 (Thursday) - March 6 (day)
■ participation application period
January 25, 2016 (Mon) - February 15 (Mon)

From what I'm seeing, it looks like purchasing this item (for free) counts as "application" and then it's luck of the draw whether or not a participation key gets emailed to you. I think.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hmmm

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

rushing alicia was the most efficient way to get the best ranking, but you could get the best ranking just fine without doing so in many missions. idk why people are always so hung up on this tbh, literally every srpg has a best cheesy strategy needed for the best rankings, but i don't see many complaining about that

as for trophies, i suspect they'll just make all those ingame awards that were already there into trophies

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

For North America

Far Cry sale, you can get FC4 including bundles with the season pass for 67-70% off. 50-75% off all the PS3 Far Cries.

Square Enix Sale, basically everything Final Fantasy-related other than FF7 for PS4 is 50% off (although the PS1 downloadable FF7 is 50% off), along with Parasite Eve 2 and 3, Drakengard 3, Vagrant Story, Front Mission 3, Space Invaders Infinity Gene, Lord of Arcana, Crystal Defenders

Also Thief, Sleeping Dogs Definitive PS4, Tomb Raider Definitive PS4, and Murdered: Soul Suspect are 75% off.

PS+ sale:

Rainbow Six Siege Gold Edition is 25% off.
Just Cause 3 (both bundles) is 25% off.
Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires 20% off

The following titles haven't had the sales prices applied yet:

Rock Band 4
Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers (PS4)
Corpse Party: Blood Drive
Danganronpa Another Episode
Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours (PS4 and Vita versions, not cross-buy)
Disgaea 5
Dragon Quest Heroes
Grand Ages: Medieval
Kung Fu Panda Showdown of Legendary Legends (PS4 and PS3, not cross-buy)
Superbeat: Xonic
Wasteland 2 Director's Cut
WRC 5 (PS3, PS4 and PS Vita, no cross-buy)

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 26, 2016

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oooh I've been waiting for Dariusburst to be on sale for a little while now. Not sure which version to get but at least I'll have options.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

which is the better dissidia game? 012 or the ff one?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I swear that most of these PS1 releases are Sony's way of justifying a Vita

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

which is the better dissidia game? 012 or the ff one?

Duodecim has the entirety of the first game in it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

IIRC 012 has the entire base original game story in it plus the new 012 sequel content.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
DQ Heroes ended up being pretty fun, right? I think I may as well grab it while it's on sale if I'm buying a PS4 in the near future.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

drat, I've been waiting for a good deal on a turn-based RPG for PS4, but of course FFVII and X/X-2 are the only Square games not on sale.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SpacePig posted:

DQ Heroes ended up being pretty fun, right? I think I may as well grab it while it's on sale if I'm buying a PS4 in the near future.

its really good as either a first warriors game or a change of pace game for a warriors fan. it has very good combat, characters, and its own unique take on mission design that set it apart from other similar games

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

FFV on the PSX had unforgivably slow loading times right?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

U-DO Burger posted:

FFV on PSX is just bad all around.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All of those PS1 SNES Port games do yesh

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

barren_sky posted:

drat, I've been waiting for a good deal on a turn-based RPG for PS4, but of course FFVII and X/X-2 are the only Square games not on sale.

Oh whoops, I missed this, forgot it was released on all three platforms and assumed one of the two listed was PS4. :downs:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

disgaea5 is a turn based rpg on ps4

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Detheros posted:

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah, it's a real mess--crummy translation, unbearable load times. Great game, but a lousy port.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Detheros posted:

Yeah besides the slowdown issues, it also has a really bad and bizarre translation. Faris is in super pirate mode and you get weird enemies like Y-Burn and Carl Boss.

http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-V-(by-Mega64)/

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I...kind of want to buy Lightning Returns at 15 dollars, that's the cheapest it's been I think. Someone stop me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's a good weird game but probably runs way better on PC.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
FFV on PSX has load times that don't exist in the original, but they are for some reason noticeably better in FFV than they are in the port of FFVI in the same anthology. I have no idea why.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

bummer, I don't really care about translation problems because FFV is all about gameplay, but I can't handle bad loading times.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Motto posted:

It's a good weird game but probably runs way better on PC.

Yeah the PC version is about the same price all the time and includes all the DLC.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

But if I just want to play it on PS3 is it fine? I really don't care about costume DLC.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

univbee posted:

Thief ... 75% off.
I know PS4 Thief is bad. But is it not-even-for-$7.50 bad?

e: Also, maybe I'm just miserly, but is anyone actually paying $60-$70 for a Lego game? They are good family fun, don't get me wrong, but that seems crazy.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nickoten posted:

FFV on PSX has load times that don't exist in the original, but they are for some reason noticeably better in FFV than they are in the port of FFVI in the same anthology. I have no idea why.

The PS1 only has 3.5 megabytes of RAM (I forget the exact distribution but it totals to that) and the various PS1 ports have to strategically keep dumping and re-copying sections of data because for some of the later, larger games, there isn't enough memory for everything. Chrono Trigger is the worst, because it's a 4 meg game and for some reason Square Enix decided to make the NA version use the Japanese ROM with an English translation patch being applied on-the-fly which absolutely murdered the load time requirements.

• Locked thread