Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

frest posted:

Humans are sharkvultures. They sense weakness and attempt to capitalize on it.

Their sense is loving whack then because the Swine Royalty has very low resistances to loving anything AND has no prot to boot. I don't care if he's got beef gate health, loving cut the big thing first.

How Rude posted:

Also, if you are struggling to keep your lower level dudes alive investing in lowering the cost of blacksmith and guild upgrades is a good idea. It's much less painful to train up a bunch of new level 1s and 2s when their upgrades cost half the original price.

I did this and while useful, I couldn't help but smirk at the idea of "The Hamlet Discount Guild For Seekers", where they only get you to Rank 2, but good golly they have great deals on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I only ever pay to use the tavern/church whenever one of my guys gets afflicted. Eventually you get enough people that you can just send out a different team each time and let people destress naturally. Also maybe run jesters instead of listening to people who say they're bad???

or use a houndmaster who is better in every way :woof:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

widespread posted:

I did this and while useful, I couldn't help but smirk at the idea of "The Hamlet Discount Guild For Seekers", where they only get you to Rank 2, but good golly they have great deals on it.

You want sharp swords? drat, we should have known those would be popular, all sold out. We've got blunt swords for days though if you want those...

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

or use a houndmaster who is better in every way :woof:

Or you could run both.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

widespread posted:

Their sense is loving whack then because the Swine Royalty has very low resistances to loving anything AND has no prot to boot. I don't care if he's got beef gate health, loving cut the big thing first.
Somebody else already commented on this, but years of playing video games has conditioned most people to want to target the tiny little helper guy before the BIG HUGE BOSS GUY since the little tiny helper guy is almost always up to no good in the long run.

I haven't faced off against the Swine Prince yet so I dunno if there's a tell to watch for, but in a vacuum my instinct would be to murder the Wilbur. Apparently your party members will tell you not to do it again after you've done it once, but depending on how it's phrased people could still get the wrong idea.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
If the jester had a dog I'd take him on every mission

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Bad Seafood posted:

Somebody else already commented on this, but years of playing video games has conditioned most people to want to target the tiny little helper guy before the BIG HUGE BOSS GUY since the little tiny helper guy is almost always up to no good in the long run.

I haven't faced off against the Swine Prince yet so I dunno if there's a tell to watch for, but in a vacuum my instinct would be to murder the Wilbur. Apparently your party members will tell you not to do it again after you've done it once, but depending on how it's phrased people could still get the wrong idea.

Well, I can tell you that Wilbur is really just a minor inconvenience at worst. All he really does is mark everyone so big guy does more damage, MAYBE stun before he's singled out..

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bad Seafood posted:

It's relatively clear, I thought - checking a youtube video of the fight has one of the lines of dialogue as "It's protecting the little swine", which when coupled with the Prince doing a full-party attack for pretty decent damage was a clear enough flag for me that I only hit Wilbur the once.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

widespread posted:

Well, I can tell you that Wilbur is really just a minor inconvenience at worst. All he really does is mark everyone so big guy does more damage, MAYBE stun before he's singled out..

In the Swine King/God fights, he starts squealing every turn in addition to marking. He can stun up to two party members and really screw up your plans in doing so. Arbalest is really good for avoiding this as she can clear the stuns and the mark, resulting in the swine flailing about like an idiot for no damage.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's relatively clear, I thought - checking a youtube video of the fight has one of the lines of dialogue as "It's protecting the little swine", which when coupled with the Prince doing a full-party attack for pretty decent damage was a clear enough flag for me that I only hit Wilbur the once.

Its clear enough that you don't want to attack Wilbur before the Swine after hitting him once. Why so many people ignore this baffles me.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Or you could run both.

or just 2 houndmasters

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jester would probably show up with a pug or some poo poo

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Internet Kraken posted:

Its clear enough that you don't want to attack Wilbur before the Swine after hitting him once. Why so many people ignore this baffles me.

The first time I attacked Wilbur was a love tap from a vestal that ended up being an 18 damage crit that evaporated the little dude. For the rest of the fight the entire party wouldn't shut up about how I should leave poor Wilbur alone, but somehow no one died in the resulting clusterfuck.

To make up for it, the swine king Wilbur stayed alive for six rounds after the big guy died and squealed two people to death. :negative:

These are my Wilbur anecdotes.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Nature herself, a victim of the spreading corruption, malformed with misintent.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Enjoying the poo poo out of this after not having touched the game since the very Early Access.

At which point is it worth it to start locking/removing traits? It seems like a good idea to specialize guys on one area (a Ruins Scrounger/adventurer/explorer Undead hating crusader, for example), but most of the negative quirks I can live with so far.

Also, what about skills? Do I need to unlock everything and swap them around depending on the other party members? Cookie cutter my favorite skills into every member of that class? Stick to the skills they come with?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Eh, I could see how some people might interpret that as a sign to attack the little guy. "He's protecting him because he's important, GET HIM GET HIM." Bosses guarding their weak point isn't that unusual.

That said, one wipe should be enough to teach you not to do it again.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This game rules. I'm about 10 hours in right now. Had a big of a rough start, but I really like it so far.

Lepers are great. I'm pretty sure that if he took a step forward when he used Revenge, he would be amazing.

I guess I need to check out Jesters and Men-at-Arms, since I haven't tried either at all. I'm all about the Lepers, Highwaymen, Hound Master, Plague Doctors, Vestals, and Crusaders.

What are some of the best classes and skills for marking and capitalizing on marked enemies? Hound Master obviously has a +60 damage on marked enemies, and Highwayman's pistol shot has like +15% on marked.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

Enjoying the poo poo out of this after not having touched the game since the very Early Access.

At which point is it worth it to start locking/removing traits? It seems like a good idea to specialize guys on one area (a Ruins Scrounger/adventurer/explorer Undead hating crusader, for example), but most of the negative quirks I can live with so far.

You can only lock in 3 positives and it's ridiculously expensive, so I wouldn't really bother trying to get that specialized. "Hatred of [X]" is the best of the lot because the numbers are huge and you don't get completely shoehorned into a single dungeon area. The scouting quirks can be nice but there's so many of them that if you keep a large roster you have a decent chance that someone will have an applicable scout quirk.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The problem is, I'm sure there are people who really do think the swine royalty fight is a damage race. The fact that there are complaining about it proves it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Snak posted:

This game rules. I'm about 10 hours in right now. Had a big of a rough start, but I really like it so far.

Lepers are great. I'm pretty sure that if he took a step forward when he used Revenge, he would be amazing.

I guess I need to check out Jesters and Men-at-Arms, since I haven't tried either at all. I'm all about the Lepers, Highwaymen, Hound Master, Plague Doctors, Vestals, and Crusaders.

What are some of the best classes and skills for marking and capitalizing on marked enemies? Hound Master obviously has a +60 damage on marked enemies, and Highwayman's pistol shot has like +15% on marked.

Bounty Hunter, Arbalest. I like to run a duo team of Occultist and Bounty Hunter - Occultist sets up a vulnerability hex on an enemy, BH proceeds to do crazy amounts of damage to it. Throw in a plague doc's buff for extra fun!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The problem is, I'm sure there are people who really do think the swine royalty fight is a damage race. The fact that there are complaining about it proves it.

If you see an enormous mountain of HP and think its a damage race boss then I don't know what too say.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

The jester is just the abomination's pet.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Also, what about skills? Do I need to unlock everything and swap them around depending on the other party members? Cookie cutter my favorite skills into every member of that class? Stick to the skills they come with?

I think most folks recommend Level 2 to be a good threshold for locking in really good traits.

As for skills, unlock your favorites on the rookies as you recruit them if you've got the cash. Most characters have at least three or four that are definitive for their role. If you're strapped for cash, just crash rookies into level 1 dungeons with whatever skills they've got and use the money to unlock your favorites on the adventurers that have survived.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I had no idea you could lock positive quirks :stare: . That would've been good to know earlier.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
So uh anyone notice they changed camping now?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lmao @ the champion-level Weald dungeons

some quirk of the AI makes the fungal artillery mark the front rows, and then, because the front rows are marked, makes them keep marking them as it's the only slot 1/2 attack the artillery can perform from the back rows

maybe it's the addition of the debuff that makes them weight marking so heavily?

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
it's merely... a TRICK of the LIGHT?

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Is it a viable tactic to just retreat parties to prevent them from leveling up after ransacking medium level dungeons? My lowest leveled adventures are all about 1 mission away from going from 4 to 5, but I find that I barely break even when I have groups attempt champion dungeons. I just need some way to keep the cash/heirlooms coming in until I can skill them up to level 5 weapons/armor.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

staplegun posted:

Is it a viable tactic to just retreat parties to prevent them from leveling up after ransacking medium level dungeons? My lowest leveled adventures are all about 1 mission away from going from 4 to 5, but I find that I barely break even when I have groups attempt champion dungeons. I just need some way to keep the cash/heirlooms coming in until I can skill them up to level 5 weapons/armor.

At that point you might as well just mod the files to let you take level 5s into vet dungeons, it'd probably be less frustrating and awful than whatever hell you're contorting yourself into there

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I've learned the hard way that taking an arbalest to the siren boss is a really bad idea; especially once you have someone die and all they can do is spam flare after another hero gets captured afterwards. it was an all level 0 first time siren boss run and she ended up being the only survivor at death's door after retreating :v:

I used a bounty hunter for the first time as my front-liner (had a team of arbalest/occulist/abomination/bounty hunter) and he seems pretty great. Which rank does everyone suggest putting him in less suicidal dungeon teams?

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Desperate Character posted:

I used a bounty hunter for the first time as my front-liner (had a team of arbalest/occulist/abomination/bounty hunter) and he seems pretty great. Which rank does everyone suggest putting him in less suicidal dungeon teams?

I actually really enjoy front rank BH, he's got a very good front rank stun (uppercut), a hook move (though it doesn't clear corpses), and he can Finish Him all the way to the third rank. He's not as durable as other front-liners but his damage output if you have a bank rank guy that can mark is pretty insane.

If you use him in the second rank back he can Flashbang which is pretty good as well. He's just a decent all around pick.

I'll add that marking teams seem extremely strong. My A-team/boss hunting team right now is arbalest, occultist, houndmaster, bounty hunter (in that order). It dishes out a hell of a lot of burst damage and stun. HM is there to dodge tank/guard and stun, occultist marks/debuffs/heals, and BH/Arbalest finish things off with their enormous crits.

If you trinket/buff up an arbalest right you can get her up to like 45-60 damage crits on marked targets which is completely batshit. Her accuracy is extremely high too.

Operant fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 27, 2016

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Daktari posted:

I know you guys say not to restart, but I keep doing it anyways.
Finally a good group of vest/pd/bounty hunter/MAA on the second 4 man run.
2xthugs+2xshooters destroys my group in the 3rd fight, just after a collector.
Even got an insane lucky draw on 2x rare trinkets from a collector + some other chaff.
I *know* I've played the fights 95% optimally, and I can't even get through 3 fights without a loss? I'm not doing 2/3's of a map with 3 guys

So little late to the party to comment here, but there are a couple things to say about this. First off, the default party of vest-pd-hw-crus is actually pretty good. Crusader gets damage bonus in ruins on some skills, pd can get good stuns, hw can attack to the back. Your change isn't drastically different (bounty can be comparable to hw), but MaA is generally a bit more defensive than crusader.

Second, getting to level 1 is pretty important in the scheme of things. Even without upgrades unlocked, level 1s start the level 1 dungeon with 0 stress instead of 20, and have better resists. Try to bring a couple guys that are level 1 along with fresh guys to make the dungeon a ton easier (doubly so if you have the first upgrades).

A lot of this composition handling tough fights depends on what skills you drew.

Did your vestal have judgement or dazzling light?
Judgement gives her a self-heal and a solid attack (up to 8 or so damage), and dazzling light is a nice stun.

Did your MaA have rampart?
This gives a good stun, but also pushes the enemy 1 space. Look at either messing up the guy you're stunning for 2 rounds (stun+weak attack in new position), or for the guy behind your target getting messed up.

Did your pd have blinding gas, disorienting gas, plague grenade or noxious blast?
PD isn't here for damage, but she gets really solid stuns. Ideally you have both her stuns, so you can spend her turns doing that instead of your high damage guys stunning. When things are stun resist buffed then you blight attack something, and which attack you have effects what slots you try to prioritize with your other guys.

Did your bounty have come hither or flashbang?
Bounty is going to have good damage, but specifically for bandits come hither is great for getting a shooter into spot#1 where they are no threat. Flashbang is a great stun but a little less reliable for getting enemies into spots you want them. Keep in mind that he is going to be your biggest damage guy so you don't want to spend rounds stunning and stuff if you don't have to.

If you have most of these skills, then you can approach the fight in a "stun and manipulate their position, then murder them while half their team can't attack very well". If you only have some of them you'll probably need to prioritize 1 or 2 guys to disable/move while you murder their friends. If you're lacking all of these you should probably expect to not finish the dungeon and be ready to run away with whatever loot you have if the fights go sour (not saying you won't finish the dungeon, just that you lack a lot of control over the situation).

Maybe I'll try to get a setup the same and do some screens of how I'd do it.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm bad at this game. I played it a bit during beta and I'm revisiting now that it's out for real. I've killed a few bosses (Wizened Hag, Apprentice Necro, 8-pounder, Sonorous Prophet), but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels a lot and the town upgrades are very expensive, which just makes me feel like I need to grind even more, and I just feel like I'm constantly playing wrong.

I've got one "team" of guys up to level 3/4, the rest are 0-2 and perpetually dying, or going too crazy/quirky/disease-y and needing to be sent off to the glue factory.

I don't want to go pore over an FAQ since that seems pretty counter to the spirit of the game, but some advice wouldn't hurt.

I've got 2-3 upgrades in all the blacksmith and guild lines, and about 3 upgrades in the top row of each de-stressor building, a couple upgrades for each row of the sanitarium, and the stage coach way upgraded. I think one of my big problems at this point is I don't know how to tell if a character is worth investing in, or trying to fix in the sanitarium (it costs so much gold!). Some quirks seem obviously better and worse than others, but I'm probably badly misjudging many of them. Same with items basically. Anything involving the weighing of stats is guesswork.

I'm also pretty lost on party composition. I try to have at least one front-row fighty guy and a Vestal or Occultist, but beyond that I basically just slap in whoever is the right level, not insane, and has moves that work in the open slot.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 27, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the swine god scoops up your party's sundered corpses and arranges their bits to read SOME PIG by wilburs basket where he sleeps

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Scoss posted:

I'm bad at this game. I played it a bit during beta and I'm revisiting now that it's out for real. I've killed a few bosses (Wizened Hag, Apprentice Necro, 8-pounder, Sonorous Prophet), but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels a lot and the town upgrades are very expensive, which just makes me feel like I need to grind even more, and I just feel like I'm constantly playing wrong.

I've got one "team" of guys up to level 3/4, the rest are 0-2 and perpetually dying, or going too crazy/quirky/disease-y and needing to be sent off to the glue factory.

I don't want to go pore over an FAQ since that seems pretty counter to the spirit of the game, but some advice wouldn't hurt.

I've got 2-3 upgrades in all the blacksmith and guild lines, and about 3 upgrades in the top row of each de-stressor building, a couple upgrades for each row of the sanitarium, and the stage coach way upgraded. I think one of my big problems at this point is I don't know how to tell if a character is worth investing in, or trying to fix in the sanitarium (it costs so much gold!). Some quirks seem obviously better and worse than others, but I'm probably badly misjudging many of them. Same with items basically. Anything involving the weighing of stats is guesswork.

I'm also pretty lost on party composition. I try to have at least one front-row fighty guy and a Vestal or Occultist, but beyond that I basically just slap in whoever is the right level, not insane, and has moves that work in the open slot.

I don't fix a whole lot on my team outside of forced interaction quirks like kleptomania (especially that gently caress that poo poo) or others that have huge impact like -health or so, ones that impact the town like won't XXX i don't bother with at all. On the topic of forced interactions I just had a hellion with a guilty conscience force her way into a confession booth. Amusingly the booth worked great and absolved her of her guilty conscience. So much for that. I'm pretty willing to put up with quirks though so others might be different in that regard. I even ignore some diseases because they're negative isn't worth caring about.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Scoss posted:

I'm afraid I play without some overarching strategy. At any given point in time, I first take care of any expenses: disease removal is a priority, also stress heals. I then look at what dungeons I'm intending on doing, taking available mostly-unstressed heroes and gold reserves into account (ie, I'd like to have enough money to provision my A-teams thoroughly and the D-listers get to go in with at least the basics of food/torches/shovels). Any extra gold is hopefully available to put into skill and blacksmith upgrades. For Apprentice dungeons at least, I find that there's a world of difference between level 0-1's with no upgrades and level 1-2's even with one or two upgrade levels. The former will suffer hp and stress attrition, but teams of the latter can take care of many Apprentice dungeon encounters with little or no losses. At this point, medium and long dungeons are easier than short dungeons (not just more rewarding in xp and loot) because camping has an easy job undoing lost stress/hp and camp buffs are very strong.

In upgrading the town, I prioritized the guild and blacksmith over the tavern and stagecoach: I know most goons here are very big on getting 4 heroes at once but I didn't find that too useful until I was headhunting for particular classes to recruit. Try not to neglect the 'making things cheaper' upgrades, and keep those roughly apace with the unlock upgrades. I just ignore quirks that aren't too bad (kleptomania is the one that is 100% worth curing) for now, and intend to farm better quirks only when I have gold out the wazoo. In particular, locking in good traits and curing locked-in bad traits is something I haven't done at all.

It seems to me that the #1 thing holding you back is being efficient with your lower-level teams. Apprentice dungeons are pretty reliable sources of income as long as you're playing right. It's probably not worthwhile sending anyone with stress more than roughly 50 into a dungeon, unless you are clearing a roster after a disaster and have little enough gold that it'll essentially be a no-provisions suicide run anyway. Diseases are not too expensive to keep on top of, and most quirks aren't deal breakers. You'll want to bring enough provisions that you won't be hitting any barrier or hunger events you're not ready for, since that hp+stress penalty is enormous. You should bring an appropriate level of torches, depending on what light level you want. Bringing a sampling of the other provisions (like 1 each for small dungeons) is a good idea since positive curio events give very good effects+loot. If you don't know which items give positive curio effects, you can use this guide .

As to team composition, the key is to make sure everyone has an appropriate skill set. This means prioritizing what they can do in the assigned slot, and to a lesser extent making sure they can do something in the other slot if there's a shuffle/surprise attack. It's easiest to have at least two characters whose role is damaging attacks, but having specialized stunners or support characters can work fine. Try to look for synergies: Occultist works very well with Bounty Hunters and Arbalests since his mark amplifies their main damage attacks (also true to a lesser extent with Highwaymen and Grave Robbers). For low-level characters you presumably are not as willing to spend a lot to unlock skills, so you have to make do with what the stagecoach brings your way. For higher-level characters, though, you should endeavor to optimize the skill loadout to that hero's role in the given team, and also to choose appropriate trinkets.

Hopefully this helps, the only way to learn is through experience.

e: holy poo poo gently caress the collector forever. RIP Reynaud and my best Plague doctor.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 27, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SirKibbles posted:

How is it different?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

since the release patch or you're just noticing it?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Soothing Vapors posted:

since the release patch or you're just noticing it?

I'm just noticing it yeah little slow.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

yeah it's a bummer, but honestly probably the right step for balance

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I honestly prefer it. Much easier to get a setup that prevents the nighttime ambush. No more ghouls criting my guys for 50 stress damage with one skull toss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Which characters count as "religious"?

Is there an easier way to unequip trinkets than literally dragging them back into the trinket box?