Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Netanyahu would be saying the exact same thing if you had asked him not about extremism, but about an end to the occupation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maoist Pussy posted:

And refusing to serve lunch to minority diners at the Woolworth's lunch counter didn't violate the 14th Amendment, at first.

Is this supposed to be a joke? In case you're being serious, those things aren't even remotely the same. It is obvious that businesses have the right to discriminate based upon speech, but they do not have the right to discriminate based upon things like skin color (and ideally also sexual orientation even though I don't think that's the case in the US yet). Free speech means you can express any opinion you want, but it doesn't in any way give people the right to say things whereever they want. This should be obvious; stores have the right to throw you out if you stand around giving an antisemitic speech or something.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The muslims are coming out to the extremism in droves, left-wing organizations are busing them out.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Kajeesus posted:

The misrepresented quote paints him as a comic book villain, while the proper context just makes him look like an idiot. He's said and done a lot of heinous poo poo, but piling half-truths and dodgy quotations on top just muddies the message.

There's no need to take the Israeli right wing out of context when you have people literally saying the Palestinians should be ethnically cleansed because they're incapable of living in peace and the only way to deter them from suicidal attacks is to rape their relatives.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

:stare:

Speaking of the consequences of little being done to rein in extremist sentiments.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Speaking of the consequences of little being done to rein in extremist sentiments.

As hosed up as this is, it's definitely not breaking any new ground regarding israel's treatment of lebanese P.O.W.s or noncombatants arrested on suspicion of partisan activities/terrorism. But goddamn,

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, the guy who said that is a special snowflake for sure, but he's not in the government. He also proposes a plan for turning the West Bank into independent feudal bantustans just in case the apartheid thing wasn't clear enough yet.

His response to being called out on *literally advocating the rape of relatives as punishment levied by a state* was "hey, I'm a feminist".

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 26, 2016

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Ban Ki-moon and Netanyahu are accusing each other of encouraging terrorism.

I would agree with exactly 50% of these two accusations.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

Is this supposed to be a joke? In case you're being serious, those things aren't even remotely the same. It is obvious that businesses have the right to discriminate based upon speech, but they do not have the right to discriminate based upon things like skin color (and ideally also sexual orientation even though I don't think that's the case in the US yet).

Exactly. Civil rights can be violated via concerted or pervasive action by private parties, not just government agencies. The law evolves as the situation evolves, and leftists fleeing to a libertarian view of free speech is the most hilarious thing ever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

When you think about it people giving me poo poo for being a racist idiot on the internet is the same thing as segregation.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Irony Be My Shield posted:

When you think about it people giving me poo poo for being a racist idiot on the internet is the same thing as segregation.

If ISPs started cutting off people's Internet for being racist idiots it might be a real problem despite not being the government, but that's not happening anyway, so yeah.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
When people jumped on Ya'alon's comments about ISIS and Iran, they missed what was probably a much more telling speech at that same event from the IDF Chief of Staff. And again no, this is not novel at all. Shin Bet, Mossad, and the IDF leaderships are largely realists from the Sharon camp that oppose Netanyahu as being an insane Israeli neoconservative.

http://forward.com/opinion/israel/331714/israels-top-general-praises-iran-deal-as-strategic-turning-point-in-slap-at

quote:

n fact, the 45-minute speech as a whole can be read as a point-by-point refutation of Bibi-ism. First, he said Israel faces no existential threats right now, because Obama’s Iran nuclear deal has removed the greatest threat to Israel’s existence; the Obama-Putin deal on Syrian chemical weapons removed the second; and the collapse of the Syrian state and its military removed the third. Second, the job of the IDF is to preserve the space that makes Israeli democracy possible and to guarantee a normal life to Israeli and Palestinian civilians. Third, in a little-noticed jab, he said that a worldview that always assumes “the worst-case scenario” is “no less dangerous” than excess optimism.

Eisenkot said there were two “existential threats” to Israel, and both are currently “declining.” One was the threat of nonconventional weaponry, including both Iran’s nuclear program and Syrian chemical weapons. The other was the conventional military threat of the Syrian army.

quote:

Eisenkot named two other threats that he described as “rising.” Neither is an existential threat, although both are causes for concern. That is, they threaten the lives of Israelis, but not the existence of Israel. One is the threat from “subnational” forces, mainly Hezbollah, Hamas and the Islamic State group. The other is the threat of cyber warfare.

He said Hezbollah is currently the IDF’s “main concern,” given the extensive fortifications and rocketry the organization has embedded within Shi’ite civilian villages in southern Lebanon “to challenge the IDF’s air and ground superiority.”

quote:

Eisenkot devoted most of his talk to conditions in the Palestinian territories. He drew a sharp distinction between the West Bank and Gaza. In the year and a half since Operation Protective Edge in 2014, he said, Hamas has rehabilitated its military capacity in order to challenge Israel. “Nonetheless, 2015 was the quietest year since the 1970s,” he said. “Not one Israeli civilian was killed, not one Israeli soldier was killed on the Gaza front.”

“There has not been a single case of rocket fire by Hamas from Gaza.” But there is a “worrisome phenomenon” of jihadist and Salafi groups rising in Gaza that are “trying to challenge Hamas by attacking us.” The situation, he said, “is combustible.”

In the West Bank, he said, the spread of stabbing and car-ramming attacks has presented a challenge to Israeli intelligence, because the attacks involve no organization and little planning and thus can’t be detected in advance. “These attackers are young people influenced by each other, by social networks, by the Koran and fanaticism.”

quote:

That responsibility goes in two directions, he said. In facing the Palestinian population “we insist on distinguishing between terrorists and the broad civilian population that goes to work every day in Israeli cities and West Bank industrial zones — 120,000 Palestinian workers who support 600,000 family members.”

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lum_ posted:

*literally advocating the rape of relatives as punishment levied by a state*".

Below, from literally the same article. Once again, you do realize it's possible for us to click on these links and read the entire pieces? That not all of us are here to stroke our rage boners with "Zionist advocates cutting off thumbs from all Palestinians so they can't hold knives!" one-liners?

quote:

Dr. Kedar did not call and does not call to fight terror with anything but legal and moral means. Dr. Kedar wished to stress that there are no means to deter suicide bombers, and used the example of rape as an exaggeration. To remove any doubt whatsoever, there is no recommendation, God forbid, in Dr. Kedar’s words to do these horrific things. The purpose was to define the culture of death of the terrorist organizations. Dr. Kedar illustrated in his words the bitter reality of the Middle East and the inability of a modern and law abiding country to fight terror of suicide bombers.

It's not as if his actual position wasn't bad enough on its own, why misrepresent it?

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 27, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Maybe he could try not saying horrendously disgusting things towards people already being plenty abused.

Would probably help some, considering collective punishment/punishing innocent people for one person is already a thing done and actually defended more than enough already.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 27, 2016

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

The Insect Court posted:

Below, from literally the same article. Once again, you do realize it's possible for us to click on these links and read the entire pieces? That not all of us are here to stroke our rage boners with "Zionist advocates cutting off thumbs from all Palestinians so they can't hold knives!" one-liners?

It's not as if his actual position wasn't bad enough on its own, why misrepresent it?

"The only way to stop black people rising up and committing crimes is to lynch them. I'm not specifically calling for people to do that, I'm just saying that culturally it's the only thing that will stop them killing us and taking our women. BTW not racist."

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Jerusalem stone. In my mind it's like cubes of raw meat in the sunset. Lit and polished red, the bones of my homeland are beautiful, bloody, hard. Arik my heart isn't sandstone, I'm not yellow and full of pores; I'm pink and glistening. My body is in the desert. Its ancient tombs my internal organs, the tunnel that Jesus conquered on the third day... my vagina. I'm a mother. I'm going to be a mother. A child grows in my belly, and it grew from ghostly sperm and sunburnt eggs. Its ghostly heritage shows in the translucency of its skin like the finest porcelain, so fine it can't hold water. I can see all its innards. I scream and my clitoris crawls, blinking, into the light. Kiss me! Kiss me, you fool

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Look, you have to understand that these subhuman savages only understand violence. Their primitive brains and regressive culture make it so that only rape and torture mean anything to them. Now I'm not advocating these practices, I just want you to understand what we have to deal with."

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Jerusalem!

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Israel sprays herbicide on Gaza farmland because seriously do you even have to loving ask.

quote:

On January 7, a low-flying agricultural aircraft sprayed herbicides on to Palestinian farmlands along the eastern border, eradicating or damaging up to 162 hectares of crops and farmland along the Israeli border fence.

"Herbicides are sprayed in high concentrations. Thus, they remain embedded in the soil, and then find their way to the water basin. This constitutes a real hazard for the population,"
said Anwar Abu Assi, manager of the chemical laboratory at the Ministry of Agriculture.

The sprayed areas belong to Israel's unilaterally imposed and poorly delineated "buffer" or "no-go zone".

The zone, which amounts to an estimated 17 percent of the entire territory of the Gaza Strip and a third of its agricultural lands, erodes into the Strip's most vital and fertile soils.

Yousef Shahin, 40, was having enough trouble sustaining his farmland when, last week, an Israeli raid targeted the water tank that supplied his farm and neighbouring farms in the al-Faraheen area east of Khan Younis.

The tank and collection system had cost Shahin and his neighbours some $15,000. Shahin said governmental support was lacking."Without support, we can never reconstruct the system again. We don't have running water for irrigation; I think we lost this season."

The Israeli army's move had added another element to the suffering of Shahin and his fellow farmers.

With the Strip being merely five kilometres wide in some areas, a few hundred metres prove essential to the Strip's food security. Over the past few months, Israeli soldiers have killed at least 16 Palestinians who entered the zone, most of them protesters who were shot at by snipers while participating in demonstrations near the fence.

Furthermore, scores of casualties have been reported among farmers who were merely tending to or approaching their lands. "We had to jeopardise our lives daily growing these crops; now all our efforts are in vain," said Shahin while examining a new implant of spinach.

He lost crops that included spinach, peas, parsley and beans. Whether or not his new endeavours to cultivate will succeed remains unknown.

Farmers confirm that the damages of the latest spraying extend beyond the so-called "buffer zone", as the winds carried the chemicals further inside the Strip. They also fear consequences of such materials may affect their lands in the long run.

Abu Assi explained that each herbicide or pesticide has a safety period that needs to be observed before attempting to grow new crops. At such high concentrations, he fears the lands are likely to constitute a hazard for a long time.

An Israeli army official cited "security reasons" as justification.
Because dates and olives can become deadly weapons in the wrong hands.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 27, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A dead Palestinian is not dangerous. A Palestinian who is allowed to eat and drink will not starve and die; therefore, there is a real, valid security reason to poison crops and destroy water tanks. They made, however, a mistake by not also raping these farmers' wives, daughters, sisters, and mothers; you can tell this raid was probably led by rookies. They'll learn.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sounds like they've figured out what US politicians have. If you just do really horrible stuff without remorse not only will you not have to ever answer for it, but anyone complaining sounds like a conspiracy nutter as most media doesn't care enough to cover it and "there's no way they would do something that bad."

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

The Insect Court posted:

Below, from literally the same article. Once again, you do realize it's possible for us to click on these links and read the entire pieces?

team overhead smash posted:

"The only way to stop black people rising up and committing crimes is to lynch them. I'm not specifically calling for people to do that, I'm just saying that culturally it's the only thing that will stop them killing us and taking our women. BTW not racist."

"I'm just asking questions here!" isn't a valid reason for advocating horrible things (cf Glenn Beck), and it was quite obvious from the transcript (and from his writings in general, which are the worst sort of "Arabs aren't capable of civilized nation-building like we are" Orientalist racism) that yes, he was advocating precisely that, despite his attempts to backpedal later when he realized he was recorded saying such.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Israel sprays herbicide on Gaza farmland because seriously do you even have to loving ask.

Because dates and olives can become deadly weapons in the wrong hands.

The justification is right there in the article - to enforce a unilateral no-Palestinians-allowed zone within Gaza. Since the IDF has neither the authority nor the ability to actually create and police such a zone, they instead destroy legitimate business such as agriculture within the zone so that there will be no good, innocent reason for people to enter. Don't mean to sound jaded, but this isn't new either - Palestinian farmers regularly accuse Israeli planes of spraying herbicides on their crops.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Welp, I just remembered why I shouldn't argue about this stuff on facebook

goddamnit

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The IDF should be creating that zone on the Israeli side of the border. It's far too easy to make the zone on the other guy's side. "You can't go on your own land anymore. Oh, look, since you're not going on this land, it's because you don't need it, right, so here we have the new settlement of Baruchville getting built. And we need to protect this settlement so we're pushing the border a bit. And you aren't allowed near the border." Then repeat, again and again.

The justification is an injustification.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Slanderer posted:

goddamnit
"Anti-Zionist is a code-word for anti-Semitic"

Anyway, wasn't there a current in 19th/early 20th-century anti-Semitism that supported Zionism on the basis that it still got Jews to leave Europe/America/wherever?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

UnCO3 posted:

"Anti-Zionist is a code-word for anti-Semitic"

Anyway, wasn't there a current in 19th/early 20th-century anti-Semitism that supported Zionism on the basis that it still got Jews to leave Europe/America/wherever?

Also Zionists who supported anti-Semitism on the basis that it'd still get more Jews to go to Israel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehi_(group)#Wartime_contacts_with_Italy_and_Germany

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've always been puzzled by that narrative. What reason do anti-Semites have to oppose Zionism, assuming we're talking about white guys who also hate Muslims?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kajeesus posted:

I've always been puzzled by that narrative. What reason do anti-Semites have to oppose Zionism, assuming we're talking about white guys who also hate Muslims?

There's a bunch of conspiracy nuts for whom "zionist" is shorthand for "the malevolent secret cabal of Jewish Freemason Communists who control the world through banks, fluoridated water, and mind-control technology developed by the lizard people from the Hollow Earth".

Like, take a look at the photoshops created by this loonie: http://ddees.com/

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slanderer posted:

goddamnit

Yeah, I bet not-quite-neo-Confederates who want their Confederate flag mudflaps and bikinis but who consider themselves "colorblind" don't like being reminded about the ineluctable historical and ideological connection between racism and symbols of the Confederacy either.

Just as anti-Zionists who want to be excused for using shopworn anti-semitic tropes shriek in outrage when any suggestion is made that anti-Zionism and anti-semitism sometimes overlap.

Cat Mattress posted:

There's a bunch of conspiracy nuts for whom "zionist" is shorthand for "the malevolent secret cabal of Jewish Freemason Communists who control the world through banks, fluoridated water, and mind-control technology developed by the lizard people from the Hollow Earth".

I agree that these are the sort of things that an anti-semite would believe. Little surprised by your agreement on that, however.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 27, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cat Mattress posted:

Oh, yeah, I know about that crowd. I guess that's usually the context in which anti-Zionism comes up, and odds are that any self-proclaimed anti-Zionist is really an NWO basket case.

With that in mind, I can definitely understand and agree with the Facebook post in question.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

I agree that these are the sort of things that an anti-semite would believe. Little surprised by your agreement on that, however.

Well yeah but you think everything is anti-Semitic so you don't really count.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The Insect Court posted:

lmao dude are you actually accusing this guy of agreeing with David Dees

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Insect Court posted:

Yeah, I bet not-quite-neo-Confederates who want their Confederate flag mudflaps and bikinis but who consider themselves "colorblind" don't like being reminded about the ineluctable historical and ideological connection between racism and symbols of the Confederacy either.

Just as anti-Zionists who want to be excused for using shopworn anti-semitic tropes shriek in outrage when any suggestion is made that anti-Zionism and anti-semitism sometimes overlap.

Reminder that your previous post in this thread was defending a guy who called for state-sanctioned family rape by saying he followed it up with "but I don't like actually endorse it, I'm just saying if you're really dedicated to stopping terrorism..."

Why does he get that kind of slack, when you seem to have a hard time distinguishing between people who call refugee rights inviolable and David loving Dees?

Also thanks for posting pictures of dead babies. You're a swell guy.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Still have to hold in my laughter

TIC how on earth do you read "look at this loony conspiracy nut who believes Jews run the world with the help of secret lizard aliens" and say to yourself "aha, clear-cut proof of anti-semitism, I've got you now"

just go back to using palestinian children committing suicide-by-cop to justify ethnic cleansing, it's much more believable

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Avshalom posted:

Jerusalem stone. In my mind it's like cubes of raw meat in the sunset. Lit and polished red, the bones of my homeland are beautiful, bloody, hard. Arik my heart isn't sandstone, I'm not yellow and full of pores; I'm pink and glistening. My body is in the desert. Its ancient tombs my internal organs, the tunnel that Jesus conquered on the third day... my vagina. I'm a mother. I'm going to be a mother. A child grows in my belly, and it grew from ghostly sperm and sunburnt eggs. Its ghostly heritage shows in the translucency of its skin like the finest porcelain, so fine it can't hold water. I can see all its innards. I scream and my clitoris crawls, blinking, into the light. Kiss me! Kiss me, you fool

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Suitaru posted:

Still have to hold in my laughter

TIC how on earth do you read "look at this loony conspiracy nut who believes Jews run the world with the help of secret lizard aliens" and say to yourself "aha, clear-cut proof of anti-semitism, I've got you now"

"Jews run the world with the help of secret lizard aliens? What a nut! Everybody knows Jews run the world without any alien help :smugdog:" isn't something anyone should pat themselves on the back for believing.

Kajeesus posted:

Reminder that your previous post in this thread was defending a guy who called for state-sanctioned family rape by saying he followed it up with "but I don't like actually endorse it, I'm just saying if you're really dedicated to stopping terrorism..."

Why does he get that kind of slack, when you seem to have a hard time distinguishing between people who call refugee rights inviolable and David loving Dees?

I almost added a caveat on that post dealing with the possible objection that by correcting someone's bullshit misrepresentation of the facts that I was agreeing with the misrepresentation. But I decided not to because I didn't want to assume someone would be that stupid or dishonest. My bad.

Are we still in agreement that Dees's work is anti-semitic? Or are we going with a 'he's got it right up until the chemtrails and GMO stuff'?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Insect Court posted:

Are we still in agreement that Dees's work is anti-semitic? Or are we going with a 'he's got it right up until the chemtrails and GMO stuff'?
It was explicitly brought up as an example of anti-semitism, idiot

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The Insect Court posted:

"Jews run the world with the help of secret lizard aliens? What a nut! Everybody knows Jews run the world without any alien help :smugdog:" isn't something anyone should pat themselves on the back for believing.

I almost added a caveat on that post dealing with the possible objection that by correcting someone's bullshit misrepresentation of the facts that I was agreeing with the misrepresentation. But I decided not to because I didn't want to assume someone would be that stupid or dishonest. My bad.

This post has killed me. I am posting from beyond the grave, next to Ariel Sharon having a nice IRC chat with Avshalom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Insect Court posted:

Since it is apparently a central belief to at least half the posters in this thread, can you please please please quote a singe post where someone expresses the view that Jews run the world?