Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

nuru posted:

For single target you should be breaking 800 in > i200 gear pretty easily, and with multiple targets that you can fully aoe (Think A2S) you'll break 1000-1100 without issue in an average case.

DRK will depend on whether you're tanking or not, but I'd expect anywhere from 700-1000 depending on the situation. They can go higher, but there are a lot of variables. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong.

For DRK I usually can manage around ~750 in EXDR bosses, and I'm at i202, with all leftside but my helmet and sword being 210. Usually I hit the boss with a Dark Arts-enabled enmity combo, then immediately turn off grit, and go to town. I'm usually pretty good about keeping scourge and salted earth up. If the healer is bad and I have to keep grit up, I usually get around 540 or so. There are a few fights where if your healer is smart / good, you can leave up grit to self heal with souleater and the healer can full on DPS 100% of the time. so hypothetically, the healer should make up your DPS and then some by doing that (the minotaur from Fractal is a perfect fight to test this since most of his attacks are avoidable).

Speaking of SCH, what's the best DPS tips for end raiding? I'm not i200 yet, and the white mage does most of the healing, so I mostly stick in cleric stance and use Bio2/Miasma/Bio/Aero then spam Broil until any dots fall off. But I'm still barely not getting very good numbers, so I know I could be doing better. I need to mix in shadow flare more. Bear in mind this is for single target DPS (A1S and Thordan EX).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thundarr posted:

By way lower I kinda mean 90 seconds in one guy has 3/4 bar and the other has a couple pixels.

You gotta remember some jobs have abilities that straight cut enmity in half. I use elusive jump often on my dragoon.

I usually just try to explain to people what I see them doing wrong if I know a way to correct it. A lot of things you don't need a parser for at all. Does your dragoon pal have heavy thrust up 100% of the time? Is he using doom spike on AOE? Are phlebotomize and chaos thrust up all the time? You can take a brand new dragoon and just give them a pretty basic rundown and have their dps double by the end of the run. Most people are willing to listen (except loving black mages who refuse to use fire II in aoe) and learn.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Do you guys find yourself switching classes often? Do you stick between the same two or three or just solely one or what? Thinking lancer/archer is a good dynamic

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Do you guys find yourself switching classes often? Do you stick between the same two or three or just solely one or what? Thinking lancer/archer is a good dynamic

I mostly play dragoon and warrior myself, but I have others that I'll play periodically like scholar or summoner. If you play long enough you'll probably dabble in almost every job. Don't sweat it and go hog wild.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

Kithyen posted:

I immediately exposed my FFXI history when I asked for a "linkpearl" for the CT LS and was laughed at mercilessly. :v:

Do people -demand- them in FFXIV instead of just asking? Heavens, that is embarrassing!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

seiferguy posted:

For DRK I usually can manage around ~750 in EXDR bosses, and I'm at i202, with all leftside but my helmet and sword being 210. Usually I hit the boss with a Dark Arts-enabled enmity combo, then immediately turn off grit, and go to town. I'm usually pretty good about keeping scourge and salted earth up. If the healer is bad and I have to keep grit up, I usually get around 540 or so. There are a few fights where if your healer is smart / good, you can leave up grit to self heal with souleater and the healer can full on DPS 100% of the time. so hypothetically, the healer should make up your DPS and then some by doing that (the minotaur from Fractal is a perfect fight to test this since most of his attacks are avoidable).

Speaking of SCH, what's the best DPS tips for end raiding? I'm not i200 yet, and the white mage does most of the healing, so I mostly stick in cleric stance and use Bio2/Miasma/Bio/Aero then spam Broil until any dots fall off. But I'm still barely not getting very good numbers, so I know I could be doing better. I need to mix in shadow flare more. Bear in mind this is for single target DPS (A1S and Thordan EX).

Don't forget shadow flare.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Yeah, Shadow Flare is your highest potency ability after Bio II and Miasma, (and the second highest potency ability that can't miss), so you really want to keep it up.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

When I first started, I went with a heal / tank / dps class combination after I got my first class to 50 and take part in any dungeon requirement that people in the FC were gonna run. Endgame is a bit away for you but a good idea is to have one main class, and a few alternates. Your main class will get all the big purchases with tomestones (when you get to that point), and then you can gear out your other classes through various means. For reference, I started with white mage, paladin and summoner as my trifecta, and now I'm at scholar, dark knight, summoner & dragoon since I tried different playstyles (also, scholar seems to be in demand for statics these days too).

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't forget shadow flare.

Noted! Is it worth swiftcasting as a SCH or should I save that for other means such as a succor / resurrection?

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

Is it worth maxing out the 2.0 relic to skip stage 1 of the 3.0 relic? It looks like a sgit ton of fates and I'm not particularly looking forward to hoping they spawn/ I get the drop.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

remeez posted:

Is it worth maxing out the 2.0 relic to skip stage 1 of the 3.0 relic? It looks like a sgit ton of fates and I'm not particularly looking forward to hoping they spawn/ I get the drop.

Depends on how far you are in your 2.0 relic. If you're close to the zeta stage, sure. Otherwise just skip to 3.0 because the drop rates on crystals wasn't too bad for me.

If you haven't started your 2.0 at all, don't bother, unless you want it for glamours.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

seiferguy posted:

When I first started, I went with a heal / tank / dps class combination after I got my first class to 50 and take part in any dungeon requirement that people in the FC were gonna run. Endgame is a bit away for you but a good idea is to have one main class, and a few alternates. Your main class will get all the big purchases with tomestones (when you get to that point), and then you can gear out your other classes through various means. For reference, I started with white mage, paladin and summoner as my trifecta, and now I'm at scholar, dark knight, summoner & dragoon since I tried different playstyles (also, scholar seems to be in demand for statics these days too).

Noted! Is it worth swiftcasting as a SCH or should I save that for other means such as a succor / resurrection?

If you're doing endgame raids, I wouldn't swiftcast outside of the opening. Otherwise, I'm always swiftcasting unless I think I'm running with someone I think might get themselves killed.

EDIT:
Addendum to this: I generally swiftcast Adlo and pop Deployment Tactics in A1S when we stack up right after the jump.

jellycat fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 26, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Saigyouji posted:

Yeah, Shadow Flare is your highest potency ability after Bio II and Miasma, (and the second highest potency ability that can't miss), so you really want to keep it up.

And with more than one target it is your highest potency attack.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Thundarr posted:

You can roughly tell if the DPS are doing their jobs by looking at how much hate they have on the target. If one's hate bar is way lower they either just died, are stuck handling mechanics, or are not deepsing correctly. Not as accurate as an actual meter but it's usually enough to know who to toss Balance on.
Had a BLM in the Avery last night wearing full 120 Ironworks, which made it pretty easy to tell who not to use Balance on.

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.

seiferguy posted:

Depends on how likely deaths are in your group. I usually use it on shadow flare.

fflogs is a great tool for figuring stuff like this out btw. upload one of your parses and then compare it to other players and figure out where they did things better. Just have to keep in mind differences due to gearing, clear speed, group comp, etc etc

jellycat posted:

EDIT:
Addendum to this: I generally swiftcast Adlo and pop Deployment Tactics in A1S when we stack up right after the jump.

Theres plenty of time to cast adlo regularly while everyone is stacking up.

Maus fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 26, 2016

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
It's just a shame that, even at 60, there are tanks who insist on standing just outside of Shadow Flare for some reason.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Maus posted:

Theres plenty of time to cast adlo regularly while everyone is stacking up.

We're a new/casual static so I'm usually healing someone up as we're actually stacking up then casting Adlo once we've starting moving. Otherwise, yes it's not really needed there. I was just bringing it up as an example of where I know I've regularly used swiftcast outside of resurrecting someone in endgame stuff!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Saigyouji posted:

It's just a shame that, even at 60, there are tanks who insist on standing just outside of Shadow Flare for some reason.

It's a damaging floor AoE, what do you expect?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that BRD's fire thing wasn't an enemy AoE

Also don't forget to use energy drains if you have aetherflow off cooldown and still have stacks.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

jellycat posted:

We're a new/casual static so I'm usually healing someone up as we're actually stacking up then casting Adlo once we've starting moving. Otherwise, yes it's not really needed there. I was just bringing it up as an example of where I know I've regularly used swiftcast outside of resurrecting someone in endgame stuff!

Shield the tank you're targeting as Oppressor starts to lift off. Deploy when everyone reaches the center. Medica 2 (which your WHM is probably castIng) and your fairy being remotely in the room's center will top everyone off before the landing so long as you're not in a dire situation.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

Trying to dodge AOEs from 5 mobs while keeping them inside friendly floor AOEs is an exercise in futility. A lot of mobs like spreading out instead of just stacking on top of each other, as well.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Speaking as someone who tanks a lot it's really not that hard to dodge aoes without moving the mobs out of Shadow Flare unless the aoes are a circle around the mob.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

nuru posted:

Shield the tank you're targeting as Oppressor starts to lift off. Deploy when everyone reaches the center. Medica 2 (which your WHM is probably castIng) and your fairy being remotely in the room's center will top everyone off before the landing so long as you're not in a dire situation.

Thanks! I think my big problem around the jump has mostly been not figuring out how to fit my fairy's regen in, though we haven't had any problems clearing A1S regardless. I'll have to try having her start casting as the Oppressors start lifting off.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I do passive aggressively tell tanks to put their enemies into my shadow flare if they aren't doing it. Enemies get the slow debuff so it benefits them to do so!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

You gotta remember some jobs have abilities that straight cut enmity in half. I use elusive jump often on my dragoon.

I keep forgetting EJ does that. Goon was my second job to 50 but I have hardly touched it since.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I think most people settle in to having a main job or two, but it isn't necessarily what they started out as. Filling out cross class skills as you go is a good excuse for trying other classes, but if you are enjoying lancer and archer now then by all means stick with them until at least one hits 60. It's a lot easier to level up other things with the armory bonus and full access to every zone.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Anyone on Excal that can craft a set of Sky Pirates or Astral Silk Casting and let me know what it would cost?

Covered.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 27, 2016

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Technogeek posted:

Does anyone have the over/under on how long before Belzac ends up with an avatar that shows Pikachu evangelizing Fracture?

Fractu fractu fractu-chu.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Xenoveritas posted:

Fractu fractu fractu-chu.

Phenomenal :love:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Ok as someone who does not play a class that has fracture, and having seen it as the punchline to many jokes, what's the actual story behind it? A bad skill bad players overuse or something?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

rio posted:

Ok as someone who does not play a class that has fracture, and having seen it as the punchline to many jokes, what's the actual story behind it? A bad skill bad players overuse or something?

Pretty much. It's a Marauder DoT that is decent damage on its face, but costs 80 TP to use, so crossclassing it and working it into your rotation makes you run out of TP faster for fractions of a percent of DPS gain.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Allow our prophet Belzac to educate you on the ways of the Fracture.....

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Or a DPS loss depending on the job.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I'll have you know that Fracture is actually essential to Dragoons, Dark Knights and Monks because

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't know about 60 monk but fracture was absolutely relevant at 50 monk. It been a dps loss on dragoon since I believe 2.1.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
It's a small gain on Monk but not at the same "use it to burn tp" level it was at 50. You basically use it to help not clip Demo so much. About to refresh demo and have 3+ seconds on it? Fracture then demo.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I remember hearing there's some corner case with DRG where you fracture if you drop a combo? That could be wrong.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Once upon a time there was, not anymore.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

At times like this, I wish I wasn't so rubbish at Photoshop.

Bertram Weatherby fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 27, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fracture was OK for some classes at 50 because average weaponskill potencies were lower, and some classes like dragoons used it as rotation filler. In HW, it's significantly less useful for cross-classing for a variety of reasons. Dragoons don't want to use it because it lowers their GPS (geirskoguls per second), paladins don't want to use it because they already have TP problems, and dark knights already have a DOT with over twice the total potency. The only class that might get use out of it is monk as Belzac said, because their weaponskill rotation hasn't changed in HW.

e: of course it's still great for warriors because it's 300 total potency for them and warriors never run out of TP, so don't be a dumb goon and not use fracture as a warrior because the thread said it was bad

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 27, 2016

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Fracture is also pretty good at pre-30 for some DPS classes. It'll certainly make your "rotations" in low level dungeons less boring as a Lancer or Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The joke was that even though when it was a dps increase to use fracture there were many people in this thread who didn't want to cause they were lazy and just wanted to do less damage. The joke is either I care too much that people were being lazy and then glorifing their laziness or lol fracture.

• Locked thread