Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Not necessarily, there seems to be a lot of interesting behind the scenes interactions or insinuations when it comes to all the alien races in this game.

Humans taking advantage of xenos to recycle trash and get rich on their ignorance.
Humans kidnapping and killing xenos out of fear they're secretly infiltrating humanity (sound familiar?)
Clan rivalry of Prones that eventually seek asylum in NLA.
Orphean's procreation difficulties and their deep-seeded homesickness.
Professor B's evolutionary timeline.
The Nopon still wheeling and dealing by taking advantage of business situations.

There are some legit cool and interesting storylines the game sets up but doesn't do justice to. The issue is that the game spreads these races and stories too thin, just like they spread your party interaction thin by being able to recruit 20 loving people. That, and I don't fully get what the point of resolving issues or building affinity for the NPCs is in this game. In XBC it'd build you up to five stars, which would unlock the whatever branches. In this game it doesn't seem to do much?

Affinity unlocks their quests (for new skills) and increases the rate of Soul Voice proccing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

What's even worse is when some are at their affinity location and you don't even know about it. Two times I've randomly stumbled into L - once in the residential district and later on the Ma-Non ship - while doing random missions. I currently can't find Phog and don't really care. I think Lao is gone for a while but nobody noticed.

Next game, put a god drat phone button on the loving gamepad and put everybody's picture on the phone and you press their picture to call them and you can talk to them with the mic and say what up, how are you, please come with me to slay some baby pigs in a nest under the city so they don't grow up and kill Todd or whatever his name is. I think it's Todd.

Actually, it's Carl :v:.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I still can't believe they gave you 17 party members and you don't get at least one party member from each xenoform. I want to put together a party of humans, Nopon, Wrothians and Orpheans so badly. What a waste of a good opportunity

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Affinity unlocks their quests (for new skills) and increases the rate of Soul Voice proccing

Yeah, but I think he meant the affinity between NPCs.

In original Xenoblade, there's an affinity meter for each of the five major regions. You build it up by meeting named NPCs, talking to them at various points and linking each other, doing quests, etc. It goes up to five stars, and unlocks yet more quests (with better rewards) as well as improving the trades (you can initiate trades with any named NPCs and they will have more and better stuff the higher their area is). That's separate from intra-party affinity, which affects chain link chances in chain attacks.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

U-DO Burger posted:

I still can't believe they gave you 17 party members and you don't get at least one party member from each xenoform. I want to put together a party of humans, Nopon, Wrothians and Orpheans so badly. What a waste of a good opportunity

It really is bizarre that they have all these species you can move to NLA, and then they give you L and Celica, who are from completely different races with no backstories.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can understand why they don't give you a Nopon because they'd have to make a whole new combat rig but there are alien races similar enough they should be able to fit something in.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I use L in my group because he is a weird alien and that makes him so far the most interesting one. Even though I'm not fond of his actual personality, at least he has one. He adds flavor.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

All you have to do for Nopon Skell piloting is have the Nopon sit on a crate in the cockpit using cartoon extendable hands to reach the controls (or have other Nopon on standby in the cockpit so piloting is the collective effort of three or four Nopon). I don't think they'd have to change ground combat at all.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Louisgod posted:

What's even worse is when some are at their affinity location and you don't even know about it. Two times I've randomly stumbled into L - once in the residential district and later on the Ma-Non ship - while doing random missions. I currently can't find Phog and don't really care. I think Lao is gone for a while but nobody noticed.

Next game, put a god drat phone button on the loving gamepad and put everybody's picture on the phone and you press their picture to call them and you can talk to them with the mic and say what up, how are you, please come with me to slay some baby pigs in a nest under the city so they don't grow up and kill Todd or whatever his name is. I think it's Todd.

Lol I spared the baby pigs, uh oh

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

I can understand why they don't give you a Nopon because they'd have to make a whole new combat rig but there are alien races similar enough they should be able to fit something in.

Couldn't they just recycle Riki? And at the very least we shoulda gotten Ga Bhuine or whatever her name is. Makes perfect sense in every way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Couldn't they just recycle Riki? And at the very least we shoulda gotten Ga Bhuine or whatever her name is. Makes perfect sense in every way

Not really, Xenoblade X has a shared set of skills and animations between most characters with only a couple of distinct skills (which Cross has access to all of) per character. A Nopon'd basically have to be a unique character. (Which wouldn't be bad, mind.)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Lol I spared the baby pigs, uh oh

It's no big deal, you only killed Todd. Good loving job you bleeding heart.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who cares what race they are? Nothing about them changes. If all xenoforms were replaced with humans, it would have zero impact on everything.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Taear posted:

It also means that some characters the game deems important (Doug for me) you never, ever, ever see until they're in a cutscene or two and it's like "Oh yea, I had forgotten about them"

For me that character was (endgame spoilers) Lao, and the moment I was thinking that was the last two chapters of the story, up to and including him being the final boss. Good job making me care about, or even remember, a character who's apparently so important to your story, game!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Safety Scissors posted:

Who cares what race they are? Nothing about them changes. If all xenoforms were replaced with humans, it would have zero impact on everything.

It would have had a huge impact in that you could have dressed up more xenoforms in jeans and t-shirts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really want more aliens in my party because aliens are cool. L is nice for that. I haven't gotten the second alien yet but my brother hates her a ton so I don't have high expectations.

I'd count Tatsu if it felt like he ever helped or did anything. He seems to exist solely so Lin can make jokes about eating him.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Are there more requirements to unlock the Lobster Quest than shown online? I'm well past Chapter 3 but I cannot find a lobster anywhere near the Outfitters Test Hanger.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Louisgod posted:

And nothing of value was lost.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah, I thought for sure at least Ga Jiarg or however his name is spelled would join you, but nope! The second I saw him, I thought he screamed "This guy will join your party eventually!" and I was excited to get a cool cat buddy. :smith: At least you can dress characters up like the cat people.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The game is too committed to the concept of all your party members being BLADE operatives to do the whole "ragtag team of various species" deal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

The game is too committed to the concept of all your party members being BLADE operatives to do the whole "ragtag team of various species" deal.

You get L and Cecelia though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's that one Man-On who becomes a BLADE and solves murders. Aliens can totally be BLADES in this game!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just hit 50 and the Skel prices are high enough that I actually want to think about my choices. Other than one more augment slot, do light skels have any advantage over heavies? For that matter is there any reason to use non-heavy armor? The main advantage looks to be gravity resistance, and that doesn't come up often.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

There's that one Man-On who becomes a BLADE and solves murders. Aliens can totally be BLADES in this game!

And the Nopon who do it to make a quick buck.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Just hit 50 and the Skel prices are high enough that I actually want to think about my choices. Other than one more augment slot, do light skels have any advantage over heavies? For that matter is there any reason to use non-heavy armor? The main advantage looks to be gravity resistance, and that doesn't come up often.

They all have differnet overdrives. I think technically Inferno in overdrive is best if you're looking for pure ranged damage.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Louisgod posted:

I get a second quest out of it, which means more exp/credits for me. I win!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i finished chapter 9, how do i powerlevel to 50 now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

Go get the best Phoenix you can. FN Site 406 in Sylvanium has Guardian Purges who drop good ones but otherwise just the best you can get. Also get a G Buster. (Same place.)

Get as many insect-killer XX augments for your Skell as you can. Also try to get at least one or two melee accuracy augments. Stick them all on your Skell.

Go to the giant flower in Divine Roost in Noctilum. You'll find a level 90 guy named Joker inside and a bunch of lesser enemies.

Spam Phoenix, hit Joker with G-Buster, repeat until dead.

If you can't survive then get more insect killer augments or more accuracy. You should be able to 1 or 2 shot him even with a level 30 Skell and level 30 weapons. (I did.)

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

hubris.height posted:

Skell G-Buster. Insect slayer XX augs all over. Kill the Sciripos or whatever they are on the Tallon Rock second Terrae.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ImpAtom posted:

Go get the best Phoenix you can. FN Site 406 in Sylvanium has Guardian Purges who drop good ones but otherwise just the best you can get. Also get a G Buster. (Same place.)

Get as many insect-killer XX augments for your Skell as you can. Also try to get at least one or two melee accuracy augments. Stick them all on your Skell.

Go to the giant flower in Divine Roost in Noctilum. You'll find a level 90 guy named Joker inside and a bunch of lesser enemies.

Spam Phoenix, hit Joker with G-Buster, repeat until dead.

If you can't survive then get more insect killer augments or more accuracy. You should be able to 1 or 2 shot him even with a level 30 Skell and level 30 weapons. (I did.)

That probably won't work since those Puges drop stuff for level 50 Skells. :v:

I'd just murder spiders in Cauldros over at like Titan's Table or something (it's a lava lake) for a while to get up to 50, buy a level 50 Skell, get the Phoenix and G Buster and then go murder the Joker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

That probably won't work since those Puges drop stuff for level 50 Skells. :v:

I'd just murder spiders in Cauldros over at like Titan's Table or something (it's a lava lake) for a while to get up to 50, buy a level 50 Skell, get the Phoenix and G Buster and then go murder the Joker.

Oh right, I forgot that bit.

Well, just buy a Phoenix and G-Buster from the shop then! The same basic tactic stands since the Augments do 90% of the work.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm almost sure Phoenix and G-Buster aren't buyable. If you can fly, the way I liked to grind before I got all my good stuff was sniping the level 59 Prone at the top of the big crater in Sylvalum. It's somewhere in the center left, I forget what it's called exactly. But, if you're patient, you can E-Scythe them, and then put away your weapons and just step all over them, launching them about and keeping them from actually fighting back, until you finally end up killing them. Rinse and repeat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alxprit posted:

I'm almost sure Phoenix and G-Buster aren't buyable. If you can fly, the way I liked to grind before I got all my good stuff was sniping the level 59 Prone at the top of the big crater in Sylvalum. It's somewhere in the center left, I forget what it's called exactly. But, if you're patient, you can E-Scythe them, and then put away your weapons and just step all over them, launching them about and keeping them from actually fighting back, until you finally end up killing them. Rinse and repeat.

They absolutely are. Phoenix is and G-Buster comes with a lower-level Skell and I'm pretty sure it's buyable as well, I just didn't need to buy one.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 27, 2016

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Alxprit posted:

They are. At least the lv 30 versions are. I had no trouble getting the lv 50 versions from Badr Basin, so I never really checked.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They all have differnet overdrives. I think technically Inferno in overdrive is best if you're looking for pure ranged damage.

Is there somewhere in-game where they tell you what these overdrives are? The manual just says "can do different things"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Is there somewhere in-game where they tell you what these overdrives are? The manual just says "can do different things"

When you boot up the Overdrive it actually shows you onscreen. Here's a quick list I found though:

OBORO: Urban series
Fuel cost 0
All damage up
Reduced incoming ranged damage
Heal appendages
JINRAI: Formula series
Fuel cost 0
Hit chance and avoidance up
Critical chance up
Reduced cooldown
HAGANE: Wels (Verus for NA version) series
Fuel cost 0
Melee damage up
Heal appendages
Melee damage reflection doubled
NAGI: Lailah series
Fuel cost 0
HP Regeneration
Heal appendages
Reduced incoming damage
Debuff immunity
HIBANA: Inferno series
Fuel cost 0
Heal appendages
Ranged damage up
Heat damage reflection doubled
GEKITETU: Mastema series
Fuel cost 0
Ranged damage up
Beam damage refection doubled
Reduced incoming damage
KURENAI: Amdusias series
Fuel cost 0
Drain fuel on melee attacks
Crash damage doubled
Melee damage up
LEGION: Ares series
Fuel cost 0
Hit chance and avoidance up
Reduced cooldown
All damage up
Heal appendages

Edit: Edited for a slightly clearer one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silver Falcon posted:

Pretty sure a couple of Wrothians join up as well for the money. There's no reason there couldn't have been a Wrothian party member anyway, because they're pretty obviously on the same base human model with just a different head and a tail clipping out through the armor.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure a couple of Wrothians join up as well for the money. There's no reason there couldn't have been a Wrothian party member anyway, because they're pretty obviously on the same base human model with just a different head and a tail clipping out through the armor.

Yea there's definitely Wrothians with BLADE division logos above their heads.

I guess at least Cecilia is the same species as those two guys that come and gently caress you up in Chapter 8? I mean presumably. L isn't anything.

They should have made Mia an alien of some kind, then at least all the hoops you jump through to pick her up make a bit more sense.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

They should have made Mia an alien of some kind, then at least all the hoops you jump through to pick her up make a bit more sense.

Yeah, I could see that. You could swap her for a Wrothian and keep just about everything else in her story unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So is the boss of the Blood Lobster mission just designed to be a giant gently caress you?

He constantly does gravity and beam damage, has a retarded number of hp, and eventually does a thermal AoE that always one-shots my party.

Grinding tickets for days to actually get the appropriate mods to fight this guy is dumb as poo poo. Is there any non-lovely way to actually fight this guy?

• Locked thread