Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Elliotw2 posted:

Please for the love of god use a mod manager.

No, not planning on it. My main computer is a mac, so I'm using my wife's laptop for any game that isn't os x compatible, and she's not a big fan of installing stuff on there she's not familiar with. Anyway, it's sorted out now (literally) and I have all of the mods I'm interested in, so I'm good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Mod Organizer has a portable version, and at the very least, you can't not use Wrye Bash portable.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No, not planning on it. My main computer is a mac, so I'm using my wife's laptop for any game that isn't os x compatible, and she's not a big fan of installing stuff on there she's not familiar with. Anyway, it's sorted out now (literally) and I have all of the mods I'm interested in, so I'm good.

You're a Mac user AND you're using a laptop to game? Jesus Christ, why are you even here

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

You're a Mac user AND you're using a laptop to game? Jesus Christ, why are you even here

Hahaha, hey man, I'm loving this game on PC. It's a great laptop, and Steam Big Picture mode is great! :shobon:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Elliotw2 posted:

Please for the love of god use a mod manager.

never.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You know that whole "spent 10 hours modding" thing that so many people do instead of playing the game? That's definitely not me. Now that I have my issues sorted out, I'll finally be able to play through the main storyline with the dlc.

After I finish, if I still want to go back into it all, I'll see if I can get Frostfall/campfire/hunterborn going to go all hardcore survivalist. For now, though, iNeed mixed with no non-carriage fast travel (had to mod it, the temptation is stronger than I am) and the Race Tweaks are really a great mix.

Oh, and overstuffed merchants. They're not 'overstuffed', more like they 'get a lot more business'.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Begging people to help you fix your game when you aren't using a mod manager is like asking them to rebuild your house when it burns down because you refused to fit it with smoke detectors

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Squeegy posted:

Begging people to help you fix your game when you aren't using a mod manager is like asking them to rebuild your house when it burns down because you refused to fit it with smoke detectors

This forum is not where I'd go for house building help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7zPiTHjzVI

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Squeegy posted:

Well, fair enough, I accept that, though I wouldn't say I was begging, but asking. I just really dislike a lot of other forums, and when I thought the problem was only with the alchemist bartering script, I couldn't find anything through googling.

Also, I've seen other people's load orders/mod lists, and :stare:

I'm running approx 12 mods total, and don't plan on making that number much higher. If I was trying to use 30+, I wouldn't have bothered asking. I figured my issue was a simple one, and I was right.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I figure this might be a good time to ask; what are everyone's general "guidelines" they use for mod order? The rules I'm using right now are:

1) Explicit mod orders as stated by individual mods are most important
2) Big script-heavy overhaul mods like Frostfall or SPERG go highest on the list
3) After that go the cell-altering mods like Dawn of Skyrim, etc.
4) Quest mods go after that, on the logic that if they are loaded later there's less chance of the cell-altering mods overwriting something important and breaking a quest
5) Texture packs go last

Anyone see any problems? It's been working for me but this is Skyrim modding and its entirely possible I've just been lucky so far. Does anyone else have any rules like this they follow?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

I'm running approx 12 mods total, and don't plan on making that number much higher. If I was trying to use 30+, I wouldn't have bothered asking. I figured my issue was a simple one, and I was right.
To counter the people yelling at you for not using a mod manager tool: Handling your loadorder via the Skyrim launcher can work just fine with a small number of plugins. Same with dumping all of your mods' files in the Data folder.

If at some point in the future you do end up jumping headfirst into the modding pool, I would really recommend getting a mod manager though. The interface for the loadorder sorting tool in the Skyrim launcher is rather lovely and doesn't handle large number of plugins well. And unless you know what you're doing, it's smart to have a mod manager handle the mods' files.This will prevent certain potential headaches (for example when you want to uninstall a single mod after you installed 100+).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dijon du jour posted:

I figure this might be a good time to ask; what are everyone's general "guidelines" they use for mod order?
"Whatever LOOT tells me to do."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

dwarf74 posted:

That's load order, although for the most part it seems like mod order should follow load order.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

dwarf74 posted:

As someone with 100+ mods that doesn't want to put in any effort, 100% this.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I'm not usually worried load order about other than what shows up in loot and TESVEdit conflicts. Most of the time a lot of mods won't really overlap and therefore it doesn't matter, and the ones that do are highlighted somewhere (MO, TESV) and you can fix it easy enough.

Again though, if you haven't done conflict checking in TESVEdit ever then you might have problems along the way.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 25, 2016

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Yeah LOOT highlights any conflicts and I follow through with the advice it gives.

My game crashes every 2-5 hours I'd say. So nothing outside of Vanilla Skyrim I'd say :haw:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
AFAIK though LOOT is based almost entirely on flags put there by the authors, there is very little intelligent conflict checking happening. There can still be a lot of mod overlap in a "perfect" LOOT sort. TESVEdit is much more exact, but the process can be very tedious and awful so I get why people don't do it. I'm just making sure people realize a 100% perfect load order is not going to solve mod conflicts, it's where the other tools become important.

Also, to elaborate on the MO conflicts, it does a very good job of telling you about physical file overlap, like if 3 mods alter the same script or mesh you can at least find out which and look it up.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 25, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Mazz posted:

Also, to elaborate on the MO conflicts, it does a very good job of telling you about physical file overlap, like if 3 mods alter the same script or mesh you can at least find out which and look it up.

Yeah, this is really the important part for me. MO makes it really obvious to know which mods to even look at when you need to resolve a conflict. Maybe I don't run a bunch of script-heavy mods which are likely to conflict in complicated way but being able to do a simple cascading hierarchy of x overwrites y overwrites z is super-easy in MO and works really well for most overlap problems.

also - at least for item mods and potential overrides and problems with the crafting lists - the add item menu mod is a godsend for not caring about a LOT of potential problems. Just summon it all from the menu, no refIDs needed, no worries.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dwarf74 posted:

This plus whatever MO wants to fix when that error pops up. The only thing I handle myself is when something like a texture replacement isn't showing up, I know enough to be like "oh I should probably move that so it's not getting overwritten"

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been having a terrible time this afternoon with CTDs and had done pretty much every fix I could find online with absolutely no results. Finally since I was down to just randomly trying poo poo I used player.kill and now everything is fine.

:suicide:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
A very specific question: SPERG has a very nifty feature that gives you a skill point for every quest you complete. Problem is, it only does so for skills under 100, and I'm using the uncapper. Skills over 100 have no chance of getting a point, and the time will eventually come where I won't get any points because all my skills will have hit 100. Is there any way to either A) change that, either by mod setting or by simple edit in TES5Edit or the construction set, etc, or B) get a mod that does what I want? I tried [urlhttp://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/56457/?]Training Options[/url] which, while nice, has the same problem.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I had a quick poke around, because this is something I'll come up against using MLU and SPERG, and line 53 of SPERG SPEQuestCreditScript.psc is "If currentValue < 100 ;Ignore any skill already at max. "

It looks like we could probably just change that, and then apparently you need to compile the .psc file to a .pex file, but I'm afraid I haven't messed with any scripting yet so I can't help you there!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It's really easy. You can compile it in the creation kit really fast, and it will even point out any script errors if it fails to compile. Pretty much Google creation kit compiler or something and you should find it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Any reason why game performance gets slightly worse the more you play? And I don't mean 'as my current session goes on' but over time? Maybe it doesn't and I'm just seeing things, but it feels like I'm getting an ever so slightly worse framerate than before.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The more you play and explore, the more stuff the game is keeping track of in the background. On PS3, it made the game nearly unplayable when you had more than half the map explored, before the last patch.

quote:

I'm running approx 12 mods total, and don't plan on making that number much higher.

That is so weird.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Any reason why game performance gets slightly worse the more you play? And I don't mean 'as my current session goes on' but over time? Maybe it doesn't and I'm just seeing things, but it feels like I'm getting an ever so slightly worse framerate than before.

I would guess it's because Skyrim is a huge game and it has to handle more and more moving parts the further into it you go. It tracks people walking across the world map. It's probably still monitoring the goat cheese you dropped in your 287th Draugr dungeon to make room for loot.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

As already said: Your save file become bigger as you play, but normally your average PC should have more then enough RAM for that to not be an issue.
Do you have script-intensive mods installed and how big are your save files?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Raygereio posted:

As already said: Your save file become bigger as you play, but normally your average PC should have more then enough RAM for that to not be an issue.
Do you have script-intensive mods installed and how big are your save files?

I'll have to check my save files tonight, but no, no script-intensive mods installed.

Agents are GO! posted:

The more you play and explore, the more stuff the game is keeping track of in the background. On PS3, it made the game nearly unplayable when you had more than half the map explored, before the last patch.

That is so weird.

Ok, I've heard of this with the PS3 version of New Vegas, sucks that Skyrim suffered the same fate on there.

I'd be perfectly happy with the option to remove dead bodies, have items eventually or reset (stuff like clutter, not important items), stuff like that, in order to not eventually be stuttering all over the place. For now, though, it's nearly perfect, so I'm betting that won't happen for a while.

Also, it's not weird to me that I'm only running 12 mods; I never really beat the game years ago, so now I'm more or less treating it like an enhanced version.

Later on, I might go nuts with mods, but not now.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

loving Vampires just savaged Whiterun. Killed the lady blacksmith and her husband. I'd let it go for *Immersion* but gently caress selling poo poo is already a loving hassle. Guess I'm looking up how to revive someone who died when I wasn't even near.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

doctor 7 posted:

loving Vampires just savaged Whiterun. Killed the lady blacksmith and her husband. I'd let it go for *Immersion* but gently caress selling poo poo is already a loving hassle. Guess I'm looking up how to revive someone who died when I wasn't even near.
Dude, I modded out those vampire attacks pretty much right away.

It's not Whiterun if Adrienne isn't sitting there on that grindstone when you come in.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Run For Your Lives and When Vampires Attack are your friends.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Run For Your Lives and When Vampires Attack are your friends.

Those are installed! I did a double take when the courier brought me a note saying "she's dead, here's 100 gold."

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

doctor 7 posted:

Those are installed! I did a double take when the courier brought me a note saying "she's dead, here's 100 gold."

Timing is Everything lets you adjust the level vampire attacks start (just set it all the way to disable them).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Raygereio posted:

I thought Skyrim can only use 3.1 GB of RAM?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Isn't there a mod or something that deletes bodies and gear that has been on the floor for a set amount of time to reduce bloat?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

doctor 7 posted:

Isn't there a mod or something that deletes bodies and gear that has been on the floor for a set amount of time to reduce bloat?

That's part of the unofficial patch now, after you've been in a different cell for 3 days it deletes corpses and stuff on the ground.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

That's part of the unofficial patch now, after you've been in a different cell for 3 days it deletes corpses and stuff on the ground.

Ok that makes sense. I remember my last playthrough 3 years ago had 25MB saves with only 20ish hours of playtime and less done. Now I've done more and have 45 hours of game time and my saves are only (only) 11MB.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Oh good, its not just me then. I've gotten so much vampire-death insurance money despite having that mod on. Everyones got enough sense to avoid dragons though, so at least thats working.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

vkeios posted:

Oh good, its not just me then. I've gotten so much vampire-death insurance money despite having that mod on. Everyones got enough sense to avoid dragons though, so at least thats working.

She never levels higher than 6 so basically, I assume, she got one shot running away.

Apparently there's a mod to make her unkillable and I guess I'll try that. I wouldn't bother if another person took over the shop so I could sell to them but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

GunnerJ posted:

I thought Skyrim can only use 3.1 GB of RAM?
Skyrim is limited to about 3.2gb of ram but that is so so much more than a ps3's 256mb. Keeping track of cells and whatnot doesn't take a ton of memory but it does add up.

Elliotw2 posted:

IIRC if you don't enter a cell for 3 or maybe 10 days it soft resets where it removes bodies and dropped crap. After 30 the engine does a full reset and clears everything that's not flagged NoReset. The next time you enter the cell it will spawn them as new spawns. I think the USKP fixes bugs with the body cleanup script though.

• Locked thread