Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

So if they keep things up it looks like Lucifer just might be a show that transcends the format.

If you mean cop procedural. Limitless already does this and it's amazing :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

From the Wikipedia entry for Lucifer, under "Cast and Characters:"

Rachael Harris[10] as Linda Martin: Lucifer's therapist

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

She was in the pilot. :confused:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

She was in the pilot. :confused:
I like the phrase "Lucifer's therapist."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HBO's new show looks uh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64gUEBaIiLc

The trailer isn't terribly funny but that talent line up...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

He''s also regularly taking her to "pound town."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

zoux posted:

HBO's new show looks uh

That looks like dogshit

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

He''s also regularly taking her to "pound town."
She doesn't sound like a good therapist.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

FactsAreUseless posted:

She doesn't sound like a good therapist.

Or the best therapist.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Spatula City posted:

Tristan: Hey Mary. :smug:

Rory: *is too polite to say gently caress you*

he is definitely one of the weaker parts of early Gilmore Girls. I don't know what they were trying to do with him.
also Chad Michael Murray was not a very good actor. I think he has either improved somewhat since, or Agent Carter has just found the right way to use him.

Later season vague spoilers, but blue squares shouldn't hover over this.

I think the plan was for him to eventually be Logan, the rich guy from the lifestyle she was trying to not be a part of (outside of school), but still could be, because it didn't have to be all that bad. They're both the charming rich boy who breaks the rules, and tries to get Rory to have fun. But then CMM got One Tree Hill, and a couple years later Logan comes around instead.

I base this mainly on the theory that if you replace Logan with Tristan (and "Ace" with "Mary"), the Logan seasons could play out almost exactly the same (besides, of course, the fact that she would already know him). You'd just have to have Tristan absent for a little while, and then they meet up again at Yale.

This, however, is purely conjecture.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Limitless really does feel like a clone of Elementary, but for twentysomethings. And Jennifer Carpenter and Pillboy don't hold a candle to Lucy Liu and Jonny Lee.

Does Limitless improve as the season progresses? The Norwegian sniper episode was nigh unbearable.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

MrBuddyLee posted:

Limitless really does feel like a clone of Elementary, but for twentysomethings. And Jennifer Carpenter and Pillboy don't hold a candle to Lucy Liu and Jonny Lee.

Does Limitless improve as the season progresses? The Norwegian sniper episode was nigh unbearable.

Yes it does. They lean heavily into both aspects of the overall picture - the NZT as antagonist/complicator and the Brian as a goofy but generally helpful and nice guy angle.

Give it a few more episodes to move forward if you haven't written it off yet. If you still aren't feeling it after the episode where Brian takes a sick day as a homage to Ferris Bueller's Day Off then you are fine to drop it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Limitless is chat thread's second favorite show. I'd like to catch up on it but CBS makes it hard to do.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How's Treme? After finishing up the Wire I kind of want more.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I watched two seasons of Treme and afterwards I hated all chefs and all music from new orleans

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The occasional bits of visual comedy in the first few episodes of Limitless were the only bits of those episodes that I liked. I will say it has one of the biggest tone changes from the previews to the actual show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kurtofan posted:

How's Treme? After finishing up the Wire I kind of want more.
Compared to The Wire it doesn't really have much of a plot, it's just about pretty normal people trying to live their day-to-day lives after a catastrophe. Which means just as frequently as there being some high tension/emotional bits there will be plenty of mundanity, because that's what life would be like for such people. Personally I found it very compelling and enjoyed it a lot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Looks like 2016 has taken another one - Abe Vigoda

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Looks like 2016 has taken another one - Abe Vigoda

http://www.abevigoda.com/

A job well-done

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Every celebrity passing has made sense until this one.

They took him too young.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I watched two seasons of Treme and afterwards I hated all chefs and all music from new orleans

Treme is great for one reason, Lester's gay sasquatch suits.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rocksicles posted:

Treme is great for one reason, Lester's gay sasquatch suits.

Lester??

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Every celebrity passing has made sense until this one.

They took him too young.

Time to go watch Good Burger.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurtofan posted:

After finishing up the Wire I kind of want more.

Come on dopey.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

HBO's new show looks uh

This looks like a show that's supposed to air at 3 am on adult swim. Not surprised to see Eric Andre in this, not surprised at all. But lol at ASAP Rocky being a voice actor in this. Might be a decent watch given the cast, I like the art style.

I'd be more interested, but it screams Bojack ripoff to me. I'd be delighted to find out I'm wrong, though.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
That trailer reminds me that The Life and Times of Tim was severely underrated

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Lucifer EP is Jerry Bruckheimer. Isn't he the EP for all of the CSI shows? If that's the case good luck thinking it will be anything but a cop procedural with Lucifer helping out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Btw if anyone ever needs any ammo for Occ/Toxx I just remembered he thinks that season 6 of Community is like the second best one

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Holyshoot posted:

Lucifer EP is Jerry Bruckheimer. Isn't he the EP for all of the CSI shows? If that's the case good luck thinking it will be anything but a cop procedural with Lucifer helping out.

code:
Erik Holmberg 		producer 		(13 episodes, 2015-2016) 
Nathan Hope 		producer 		(12 episodes, 2016) 
Jason Ning 		supervising producer 	(6 episodes, 2016) 
Andrew Balek 		associate producer 	(1 episode, 2015) 
Jerry Bruckheimer 	executive producer 	(unknown episodes) 
Tom Kapinos 		executive producer 	(unknown episodes) 
Jonathan Littman 	executive producer 	(unknown episodes) 
KristieAnne Reed 	co-executive producer 	(unknown episodes) 
Len Wiseman 		executive producer 	(unknown episodes)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Btw if anyone ever needs any ammo for Occ/Toxx I just remembered he thinks that season 6 of Community is like the second best one

Cool let me just jot that down in his dossier

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Season 6 of Community is pretty solid. Great finale.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Whoa, thanks for the ammo, chump.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Community had 6 seasons? I think I bailed after 3?

Did they ever get degrees?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

STAC Goat posted:

Community had 6 seasons? I think I bailed after 3?

Did they ever get degrees?

Jeff and Shirley graduated and then got jobs at Greendale, Pierce died, Troy got Pierce's inheritance and left the show to sail around the world with Levar Burton, and Annie and Britta were failures and came crawling back to the school. They brought Mike from Breaking Bad on for one season but then he died. Shirley left the show before season 6 started due to family illness/getting a better job on another show so the final season had Keith David and Paget Brewster who wound up being some of the best characters on the show while they lasted.

Throughout all this Senor Chang kept fluctuating between being a screeching madman everybody hated to a passable third wheel to the group.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FactsAreUseless posted:

It really improved on the 2 seasons previous, and I still want to see that Karate Kid theatrical production.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Escobarbarian posted:

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

We still care about Community?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Season 6 of Community had me thinking it would have been better off cancelled. IMO (and let me remind you that means In My Opinion), Community was best when Chevy Chase was still on the show, rear end in a top hat or not. Season 5 was carried solely by Dean Pelton and Chang.

All those rapid cast changes just couldn't get me to like the new characters, because the group dynamic was completely missing. It's also disappointing that they decided to introduce new characters (with only six episodes left) rather than just focus more on their quirky side characters, who were already established and well-liked.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravane posted:

Season 6 of Community had me thinking it would have been better off cancelled. IMO (and let me remind you that means In My Opinion), Community was best when Chevy Chase was still on the show, rear end in a top hat or not. Season 5 was carried solely by Dean Pelton and Chang.

All those rapid cast changes just couldn't get me to like the new characters, because the group dynamic was completely missing. It's also disappointing that they decided to introduce new characters (with only six episodes left) rather than just focus more on their quirky side characters, who were already established and well-liked.

I disagree, Paget Brewster and Keith David were so great that they basically legitimized the 6th season by themselves.

Though I will say I'm surprised we never got an episode focusing on the other study group (which in my mind is Leonard, Vicki, Garret, Fat Neil, Magnitude, and Todd).

I recently rewatched the entirety of Community and I gotta say that while season 1 obviously isn't the show that Dan Harmon wanted to make it's still really, really drat good. It felt like it was actually about a community college; any strange quirkiness that cropped up (with the exception of the paintball war) came naturally from the characters and setting. It was bizarre and odd but still had a heart and soul.

2 and 3 are good too, obviously, but in a very different way. 4 can go to hell (yes, even the Jim Rash bodyswap episode, it's not as good as you remember), 5 didn't stick the landing, and 6... well, 6 was mostly good (G.I. Jeff is the second worst episode of the show) but it was too little too late.

And yes, a big part of the show hinged on Chevy, but lose any member of an ensemble show and the subsequent episodes will always be worse than what came before, no exceptions.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Holyshoot posted:

Unless anyone tells me otherwise it looks like Tom Kapinos is probably the showrunner. 95% of the time the person who has 'created by/developed for television by' credits and EP credits (and has a hand in writing the pilot) will be the traditional day-to-day showrunner and leads the writers room.

Everyone else is probably getting EP credits for working on the pilot by directing or producing it and will collect cheques even if they never touch it again. EP also goes to people in charge of the budget of the show, so it's all just up in the air. Bruckheimer is there cause it looks like the show is under WB/Vertigo and his production company so it doesn't matter since he probably just signs a few papers and collects credits and cheques til the end of the show and then some. Even a quick google check confirms Bruckheimer himself never really even did anything in the production of CSI besides maybe having it done under his production company.

• Locked thread