Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
Due to her recent decision to divorce her husband, my sister is going back into the workforce after five years as a stay at home mom. This is partly because she wants to take care of herself as a matter of dignity/self-esteem, and partly because trying to get support from her husband would be trying to get blood from the proverbial stone.

On the plus side, she has an undergraduate degree in Business, an M.A. in Spanish, and is bilingual. She worked for her local water department as a desk teller (takes your money, explains your bill), for a few years after college, but that's been a long time ago. On the negative side, she's been doing NOTHING but acting as a stay at home mom for the past five years. She hasn't volunteered, attended classes, or networked, so she has a big, fat resume gap. She also doesn't know anyone with a connection to help her get even an entry level job where she lives. Am I wrong in thinking that her best and pretty much only option is to respond to print and online job ads, and check any store or restaurant she sees with a "we're hiring" sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Giant Squid posted:

Due to her recent decision to divorce her husband, my sister is going back into the workforce after five years as a stay at home mom. This is partly because she wants to take care of herself as a matter of dignity/self-esteem, and partly because trying to get support from her husband would be trying to get blood from the proverbial stone.

On the plus side, she has an undergraduate degree in Business, an M.A. in Spanish, and is bilingual. She worked for her local water department as a desk teller (takes your money, explains your bill), for a few years after college, but that's been a long time ago. On the negative side, she's been doing NOTHING but acting as a stay at home mom for the past five years. She hasn't volunteered, attended classes, or networked, so she has a big, fat resume gap. She also doesn't know anyone with a connection to help her get even an entry level job where she lives. Am I wrong in thinking that her best and pretty much only option is to respond to print and online job ads, and check any store or restaurant she sees with a "we're hiring" sign?

She should look into local Hiring Agencies. Temp work & job fairs, too. She has a good skill set and work history, the gap isn't a deal breaker, she just might have to work her way up from reception or data entry.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Giant Squid posted:

Get a lawyer. This is why alimony exists (for either spouse). In some states it is an automatically applied formula, no debate.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone here ever laughed at a Simpsons opening sequence chalkboard joke? Even in the show's glory days it seemed like sub-Garfield material.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

regulargonzalez posted:

Why are the fuel gauges in cars so poo poo? I have a 2016 with all the bells and whistles and completely digital instrumentation, the fuel gauge is divided into fourths and each of those into thirds, so 12 "marks" altogether. The car has a 13 gallon tank so it should roughly use one "mark" on the gauge for every gallon. But the digital gauge shows completely full until I've gone about 90 miles, then starts going down but not at a linear rate at all, it decreases faster the emptier the tank is. How is this not a solved problem in this year of our lord 2016?

First of, if you're like most people you overfill your car on the regular. Whether it's wanting to top off at a round number or simply waiting until the detection thing in the fuel pump automatically stops, you're typically going beyond the top of the tank itself. So that's why your "full" sticks for a while.

Second, practically all cars made for the past like 5 decades or more have the "empty" calibrated to something like 1 gallon left in very small tank cars, 2 gallons left in larger tank cars, and as much as 5 gallons left in things like really large pickups or suvs. The intention seems to be that you'll go off to get gas well before you risk running the engine without any more fuel, which can damage it and even jam it up depending on circumstances.

So you combine these two together and the result is that the gas gauge doesn't move smoothly.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Get a lawyer. This is why alimony exists (for either spouse). In some states it is an automatically applied formula, no debate.

"Blood from a stone" doesn't mean it would be very difficult to squeeze money from the dude, it means he has no money to give. That's great that you can get an alimony formula applied to his paycheck, but if his paycheck doesn't exist you're not going to get a whole lot.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Giant Squid posted:

she's been doing NOTHING but acting as a stay at home mom for the past five years.
Was she chained in the basement? I was a SAHD for five years and knew dozens of other parents. 50% of those parents I knew worked, and the other 50% had spouses that worked, in addition to the preschool we attended, the museums we frequented, the library, etc. I have 600 facebook friends, many of whom I've known 20 years, almost all of whom have jobs.

Networking is hard. It's putting it out there that you don't have a job and need one. Encourage her to start listing her circle on a piece of paper. Everyone she knows.

Also, child support and alimony.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Giant Squid posted:

If she is bilingual with an MA, the temp work suggestion is excellent. She should be looking not only at online ads and temp agencies, but check on your local government websites (city, state, and federal). I'm trying to swing a job with the city or county right now, and really, really wish I spoke Spanish.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

He's well known for taking it beyond the point of absurdity, but multiple necked guitars have been around for a long time. I remember seeing someone on MTV back in the 80s probably with a heart guitar, but I thought it was some cheesy butt rock band.

Multiple neck guitars aren't a silly idea on the surface, one neck is for standard tuning, the other neck is for songs played with an alternate tuning. The alternative in a concert environment is to have several different guitars tuned differently, and swap them out between songs. Which is what you usually see happen these days.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

What is this thing on the right side of the sink? I think it's an attachment for a faucet but I'm not sure how it works.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Kolodny posted:

What is this thing on the right side of the sink? I think it's an attachment for a faucet but I'm not sure how it works.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kolodny posted:

It's an air gap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gap_(plumbing)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sorry to bump this from a few pages back but I think it got lost in the "non-Euclidean geometry" argument:

Mak0rz posted:

Canada's current economic situation is not great so I'd like to expand my job search to other nations. Problem is I have no idea where to even begin with that. Is there a thread here or a useful resource somewhere else with that kind of information? I assume the process is a little more involved than just sending applications for whichever positions you find posted in countries you're interested in? I saw the "Teaching English in SE Asia" thread, but that one is pretty laser-focused on that particular situation and isn't really what I'm looking for.

Any takers?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Your URL got busted, try this one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gap_(plumbing)

The dirty water from your dishwasher goes down the drain, but in case there is a suction created, the dirty water from your sink does not get sucked back into the pan of the dishwasher.

Also, when the drain tube from the DW invariably gets clogged, it will shoot water out the air gap so at least you'll know.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What would be the cheapest, easiest way to make a handful of phone calls to the West Indies over the course of a week, assuming your landline service lacks international calling? Buy a burner, or use some sort of international calling card?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
If you don't mind doing it with your computer gmail can do international calling pretty easily, and last I looked (years ago, admittedly) the rates were very reasonable.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

stubblyhead posted:

If you don't mind doing it with your computer gmail can do international calling pretty easily, and last I looked (years ago, admittedly) the rates were very reasonable.
This is still true today, it's google voice, and very inexpensive with minimal lag and you sound like you're at a radio station.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

This is still true today, it's google voice, and very inexpensive with minimal lag and you sound like you're at a radio station.

Don't even need to use Google Voice with the account, it's all done through Hangouts now, which Voice is really just an appendage to these days anyway. Click the little phone icon at the bottom of the chat pane and dial away. Here's all their rates. It varies widely between countries--Dominican Republic is $0.03/min, while Haiti is $0.26/min. You have to prepay though, and I'm pretty sure there's no way to get a refund. My dad ended up in the hospital in Greece while on vacation in Europe a while back, and I've still got a balance leftover from then.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Skype also has cheap international calls, in case you run into problems with Google's service.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Mak0rz posted:

Canada job question.

I think the problem with your question is that the situation varies wildly depending on the country you want to live/work in and the type of work you are looking for (random job vs a long term career).

Presumably you wouldn't be willing to move to just any random country as long as there was a suitable job, so I would suggest narrowing down your country preference to 1 or 2 locations and then checking the specifics for those countries. Best place for information would be the local government's immigration department website.

For instance, something like Australia's Working Holiday visa (or the slightly different Work and Holiday visa if you're from the USA) might be an option.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

What? That is... drastically misunderstanding what an Air Gap is. No, the first reply had it, that's the attachment point for a retractable Pull-Out Sprayer. Where did you get air gap from?

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

What? That is... drastically misunderstanding what an Air Gap is. No, the first reply had it, that's the attachment point for a retractable Pull-Out Sprayer. Where did you get air gap from?

Actually I think...

quote:

A common use of the term "air gap" in home plumbing refers to a fixture that provides back-flow prevention for an installed dishwasher. This "air gap" is seen above the countertop as a small cylindrical fixture mounted parallel with the faucet. Below the countertop, the drain pipe of the dishwasher feeds the "top" of the air gap, and the "bottom" of the air gap is plumbed into the sink drain below the basket, or into a garbage disposal unit. When installed and maintained properly, the air gap works as described above, and prevents drain water from the sink from backing up into the dishwasher, possibly contaminating dishes.[2] Water flowing from the fixture into the sink indicates a need for maintenance or repair.[3]

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

Like this

http://www.lowes.com/pd_89235-72981...d6-6c83b7b1dd27

Edit: OP's air gap is more like this one:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...ollow&cId=PDIO1

Nothing that's sticking up there would be an attachment point for a sprayer. The only thing they would have in common is they would both use the same knockout hole in the sink.

imandyyo
Mar 19, 2012
In the past I've seen artist goons advertising custom marker drawings. I don't see any listings in the SA mart. Does anyone know where else to look? Or should I start a thread somewhere?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You're probably thinking about the work for hire/freelance thread in CC. Make sure to read the OP as the bit about spec work is enforced.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I came across this quote on a website "We supply the interested with the interesting". I'm sure I've read/heard something similar to it before but can't find anything. Is it from a book or film?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Like this

http://www.lowes.com/pd_89235-72981...d6-6c83b7b1dd27

Edit: OP's air gap is more like this one:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...ollow&cId=PDIO1

Nothing that's sticking up there would be an attachment point for a sprayer. The only thing they would have in common is they would both use the same knockout hole in the sink.

Huh, nevermind then I guess you're right. My bad!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tea Bone posted:

I came across this quote on a website "We supply the interested with the interesting". I'm sure I've read/heard something similar to it before but can't find anything. Is it from a book or film?

Do you ever read Savage Love? A long time ago he replied to a teenager that basically wanted advice on how to get laid. His response was something along the lines of "don't worry about getting laid when you're 15, focus on laying down the groundwork for getting laid when you're 18." Told the kid to be interested in something now so he could be interesting later.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

stubblyhead posted:

Do you ever read Savage Love? A long time ago he replied to a teenager that basically wanted advice on how to get laid. His response was something along the lines of "don't worry about getting laid when you're 15, focus on laying down the groundwork for getting laid when you're 18." Told the kid to be interested in something now so he could be interesting later.

Thanks, but that's not it. The context of the quote was specifically the slogan for a shop (or maybe just a person) who sold black market/mysterious things.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pretty sure "We provide supply the [people who need X] with [X]" has been a common slogan for all sorts of businesses for hundreds of years - your version with "interested" sounds like it would be one for one of those "curiosity shops" with jeweled skulls and candelabras and oil lamps and poo poo that you see in the touristy areas of most major cities. it's probably been used by many of them

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I have a shape on a .jpg and I would like to import it, to scale, into Eagle, the circuit designer.

What's the easiest way ?

Thanks! :)

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Dawncloack posted:

I have a shape on a .jpg and I would like to import it, to scale, into Eagle, the circuit designer.

What's the easiest way ?

Thanks! :)

I used this last time I imported an image into eagle. Works pretty well for simple blocky images, can have a lot of issues if you have anything remotely complicated.

I don't think there's a way to do it without converting to *.bmp first, though I only used the newest version of eagle for about an hour.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Anybody know where the ending to this song is from?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

El Jeffe posted:

Anybody know where the ending to this song is from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwco6G-iv8s&t=400s

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
do things like plasma cutters cause radio interference

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

muike posted:

do things like plasma cutters cause radio interference

Yes. You can get units these days that don't have a high-frequency start, which I understand is the big culprit of radio interference from those units. CNC plasma cutters and other expensive units have pilot arc starts and specially shielded computer hardware.

HF start units are generally cheaper.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is there an ebay thread? i bought a final sale item about a month ago that was said to work but it doesn't. i'm only getting it to it now as i'm just setting up my studio. wondering what my options are.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have two different branded HDMI to VGA cables that are not working for a laptop with HDMI out to a monitor with HDMI in. I would swear this has worked before; do I likely just have two lovely cables (either busted or just with the general adapter-non-workiness), or a bad HDMI out on the laptop?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Er... you have HDMI to VGA cables and you're trying to make an HDMI to HDMI connection? Am I reading your post wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
HDMI is digital signal, and VHA is analog. You can't go from one to the other with a cable, you need an active converter - something that plugs in. This is not to say no one sells them - they are sold - they just don't work.