Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Therapist isn't a hack, it's a ui extension pretty much.

Do you also only fill your vehicle with leaded gas and use a hand pump to fill the tires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
DT is definitely a hack, it reads and writes memory of another process directly.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's fine to use DT if you want to but also I think it's fine to not use it.

I'm surprised at the amount of 'I can't play without DT!' posts I see because I myself basically only ever use it to sort by body size to see how the most optimal dwarf for champion would be. I don't bother with finding out whether a dwarf enjoys outdoor work or not; if I need a woodcutter and he's idle and not a miner then by Armok he's getting the woodcutting labor turned on. If I find myself waiting around for something I find idle dwarves and turn the relevant labor on; that's basically my system. Some dwarves (like the doctors) only have their specific labor sets enabled but for the most part I don't care whatsoever if a master brewer or a novice brewer is making drinks as long as they are getting made.

I think the only thing I really care about is making sure someone skilled is forging the steel/adamantine stuff but I usually just have a specific forge or two set up so only skilled dwarves can use it and just order the jobs there (or set them all like that and use the manager screen).

reading posted:

I've never used therapist or any of the other hacks- I just occaisionally give some schmuck every single labor possible, to ensure that no matter what happens a job hanging out for a while will eventually have someone come along who can do it.

I do this, too. 'Peasant' = all farming jobs turned on at the very least.

e: oh I fire up DT to find dwarves with no preferences that involve things they can order to be built so as to pick nobles. When your duke only likes the color blue and hens then the duke isn't telling you to make useless amulets nonstop.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 26, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kenning posted:

I decided to gen up a world because I haven't played in a while and taverns sound fun. I did advanced parameters so I would get good caves, but I think I accidentally selected very long history or whatever the term is for 1000 years of world gen. My computer has been working on this for the last 3 hours and so far there have been almost a million and a half historical events. loving dwarf fortress.

Holy poo poo, it didn't crash? Did Toady rework world gen dramatically, or do you just have access to CERN's best hardware?

e; ^ Joke's on you, you'll get flooded with demands for millions of microcline chickens.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Holy poo poo, it didn't crash? Did Toady rework world gen dramatically, or do you just have access to CERN's best hardware?

e; ^ Joke's on you, you'll get flooded with demands for millions of microcline chickens.

Thousand plus year histories have been possible for a while, if not always. They just take forever and can crash if some unknown bug is encountered. And they take many, many hours to generate.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Letting dwarves chop trees is one thing, but a lot of hatespirals can be preempted by having a small cadre of highly trained craftsmen. At a minimum I want clothes makers, brewers, cooks, masons and carpenters to be as highly skilled as possible. The resulting happy thoughts do a lot to keep everyone under control.

Also planters should be specialized just because crop yields depend on planter skill. If you have a ton of idlers, a farm plot twice as big with inexperienced planters will yield about the same yield overall. However, they'll be split into twice as many stacks. That means that stills and kitchens will be less efficient (twice as many smaller stacks means twice as many jobs for the exact same amount of booze and meals).

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

If we've got people developing custom ASIC hardware to mine Bitcoin, how is it possible that nobody has developed the world's most powerful single-core processor to run DF?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
DwarfCoin, the world's first AltCoin mined by genning DF worlds.

We'll see the dwarf matrix within a decade.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Moridin920 posted:

e: oh I fire up DT to find dwarves with no preferences that involve things they can order to be built so as to pick nobles. When your duke only likes the color blue and hens then the duke isn't telling you to make useless amulets nonstop.

That's a great idea and I will implement it immediately when I get nobles.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I can't help but wonder what not using Therapist is a better indicator of: Autism or only having one monitor?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Gibbo posted:

I can't help but wonder what not using Therapist is a better indicator of: Autism or only having one monitor?

I use manipulator in dfhack, which ads an in-game UI to manage labors. Not having to leave my keyboard every migration wave is great.

The profession "management" I added isn't great but it gets the job done.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mister Adequate posted:

I actually had to just kill it. I thought it was going to stop at 1000 years, but it went to 1001 after over 4 hours. There were almost 1.8 million events, almost 200,000 historical figures, and like 150,000 dead. At that point each additional year was taking around 30 seconds to process.

Now I'm just doing a regular world generation, medium history, but at the point at which it should wrap it up and allow me to accept the world the game becomes unresponsive. And not just for like a minute, I left it for over an hour while I was finishing up other stuff and again I ended up just closing the non-responsive program.

Dwarf Fortress why do you make it so hard to love you :(

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I always just do an advanced gen with 299 years. I mostly leave all the other parameters alone except to set bogeymen to 0 because I don't enjoy them. I also do worlds that are 65x129 so they've got half the area of medium worlds but have the same length for temperature variation.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

necrotic posted:

I use manipulator in dfhack, which ads an in-game UI to manage labors. Not having to leave my keyboard every migration wave is great.

The profession "management" I added isn't great but it gets the job done.

PublicOpinion posted:

I always just do an advanced gen with 299 years. I mostly leave all the other parameters alone except to set bogeymen to 0 because I don't enjoy them. I also do worlds that are 65x129 so they've got half the area of medium worlds but have the same length for temperature variation.

These two know what's up

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Why did no one post these beautiful stonesense screenshots from way back? Gorgeous!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

reading posted:

Why did no one post these beautiful stonesense screenshots from way back? Gorgeous!

This makes me want to fart around in DF again :unsmith:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Kenning posted:

I actually had to just kill it. I thought it was going to stop at 1000 years, but it went to 1001 after over 4 hours. There were almost 1.8 million events, almost 200,000 historical figures, and like 150,000 dead. At that point each additional year was taking around 30 seconds to process.

Now I'm just doing a regular world generation, medium history, but at the point at which it should wrap it up and allow me to accept the world the game becomes unresponsive. And not just for like a minute, I left it for over an hour while I was finishing up other stuff and again I ended up just closing the non-responsive program.

Dwarf Fortress why do you make it so hard to love you :(

What size world are you genning? I accidentally did a 1000 year medium world (I think it goes to 1050 actually) although I stopped it at 1023. The computer just took ages to register me pressing the cancel button - I think I pressed it at 1000. It took maybe an hour to generate on my laptop that struggles with simple programs.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I don't know all the specs actually. Whatever the default is for generating a world with advanced parameters. I think I tried to cancel it first around year 700 and it straight up ignored my button press. Dwarf Fortress feels more like a complicated relationship than a video game.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Toady should probably drop the default down from 1050 or whatever it is. It's been several years since a history that long was meaningful or feasible.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Oh my word. Anyone else had dwarves hang on to goblets or pots or books or barrels forever? It was an inappropriate outburst of the new claiming-bling system.

This green glass pot is the ONLY THING THAT BRINGS ME COMFORT IN THIS PUKE-SOAKED PIT

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

reading posted:

Is that fog in the first screenshot? :allears:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Pretty sure it's water.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Spanish Matlock posted:

Pretty sure it's water.

second is water, first is depth fog.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

scamtank posted:

Oh my word. Anyone else had dwarves hang on to goblets or pots or books or barrels forever? It was an inappropriate outburst of the new claiming-bling system.

This green glass pot is the ONLY THING THAT BRINGS ME COMFORT IN THIS PUKE-SOAKED PIT

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

wargames posted:

second is water, first is depth fog.

Oh ha! I didn't see the first pic. That's pretty amazing.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does the new version address the super bad lag that the previous version had (trees, leaves, fruit, etc.)?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It seems better, but don't take my word for it. I switched to a better processor right as the versions tipped over.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Anybody elses dwarves not breeding? Not that I particularly WANT children but I've got 101 dwarves and only 2 are children which came with a migration wave. There are a few married couples that also came with a wave and they aren't reproducing. No dwarves have gotten married in fort either.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

What's your population cap? It's down d_init.txt.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

scamtank posted:

What's your population cap? It's down d_init.txt.

I didn't mess with the defaults there so it's:
[POPULATION_CAP:120]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220]

And this problem has been on-going ever since embark.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
My military dwarves still go into battle wielding MUGS AND POTS

They're getting attached to these things! Someone killed a forgotten beast with a masterwork gneiss mug (gneiss job, I say) but why?

And would it kill them to name a mug that killed a forgotten beast?!

:aaa:

reading
Jul 27, 2013

RedTonic posted:

My military dwarves still go into battle wielding MUGS AND POTS

They're getting attached to these things! Someone killed a forgotten beast with a masterwork gneiss mug (gneiss job, I say) but why?

And would it kill them to name a mug that killed a forgotten beast?!

:aaa:

Someone posted a screen shot of a scroll roller that had a kill in its history. That mug should have a history now too.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've been enjoying my game, designing a sweet entrance to my fort, doing pretty well. No fuel ores yet, but lots and lots of trees, so I was ready to start on smelting. And then a fire started in the corner of the map. I sent my woodcutter out to cut a firebreak, which succeeded, but one of the collapsing trees fell on him and he burned to death. In the middle of the wildfire, migrants arrive. This game is ridiculous.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Kenning posted:

I've been enjoying my game, designing a sweet entrance to my fort, doing pretty well. No fuel ores yet, but lots and lots of trees, so I was ready to start on smelting. And then a fire started in the corner of the map. I sent my woodcutter out to cut a firebreak, which succeeded, but one of the collapsing trees fell on him and he burned to death. In the middle of the wildfire, migrants arrive. This game is ridiculous.

That's a volunteer fire crew, not a migrant wave

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

reading posted:

Someone posted a screen shot of a scroll roller that had a kill in its history. That mug should have a history now too.

If a military mom swings her baby and the blow kills whatever she was attacking... does the baby get a kill history?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

SynthOrange posted:

If a military mom swings her baby and the blow kills whatever she was attacking... does the baby get a kill history?

Or for that matter, if one combatant is knocked into another by a strong blow and the impact kills one of them, who gets credit for that kill?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A titan picks up a dwarf and throws him at another dwarf. The spinning dwarf is embedded in the wound.

Who dies and who gets the kill?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I just activate all non-skill based jobs on most idle nobodies. Crafting jobs are the only ones I cherry pick for, and miners shouldn't be flimsy, but otherwise I can't be assed.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

My lazy strategy is to try and have all my bases covered in the first couple migrant waves and then just let new arrivals do whatever. If I notice something is taking too long to happen I activate the relevant labor on the first idle dwarf I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

PublicOpinion posted:

My lazy strategy is to try and have all my bases covered in the first couple migrant waves and then just let new arrivals do whatever. If I notice something is taking too long to happen I activate the relevant labor on the first idle dwarf I see.

I bet you also have unread emails in your inbox

you goddamn monster