Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

BadLlama posted:

Boats is fun but I don't understand how some battleship drivers can nail me from 20km+ away with their very first salvo, this is with speed adjusting and course changing. Maybe I am not zigging hard enough and am also a bad player.
Mostly aim mod tbh. Normally a BB salvo from 20+ km will be difficult to hit due to vector change, travel time and gun dispersion. Also I recommend turning away harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

If you play long enough you can usually be like "ok this is a pepsicola at 20km away that means i need to aim here" and get some shots near them or even on them. You don't even need to zig zag hard, usually just angling away slightly will cause them to overshoot with that huge hangtime.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Aesis posted:

Mostly aim mod tbh. Normally a BB salvo from 20+ km will be difficult to hit due to vector change, travel time and gun dispersion. Also I recommend turning away harder.

If he was actually changing speed and direction, an aim mod wouldn't help. It's just down to luck and/or noticing a pattern in the changes.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
So are there actually aim mods now? I've seen some pretty skilled leading at extreme range and over hills, but that's the exception rather than the rule. If they're out there I haven't seen a big impact from them...

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

There is a publically available, mediocre aim assist mod, but us more experienced players would urge you not to use it - it makes you worse, not better. It promotes bad habits, also any kind of course and speed correction, not to mention dodging/weaving/snaking, renders it useless.

You can often see boat vets eating an aim assist-dependent player for breakfast.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
And I am sure aim mod is against Wargaming policy, not that it has any way of catching you using mods (see WoT).

Also I'm testing out concealment set up on NC atm. So far it's better than Montana or Iowa with same set up just because of MM.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pacra posted:

There is a publically available, mediocre aim assist mod, but us more experienced players would urge you not to use it - it makes you worse, not better. It promotes bad habits, also any kind of course and speed correction, not to mention dodging/weaving/snaking, renders it useless.

You can often see boat vets eating an aim assist-dependent player for breakfast.

I'm actually kind of tempted to snag it as a direction/speed indicator. I think it'd be nice for near flat enemies at long range where you need the map to see if they're headed towards or away from you.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

xthetenth posted:

I'm actually kind of tempted to snag it as a direction/speed indicator. I think it'd be nice for near flat enemies at long range where you need the map to see if they're headed towards or away from you.

Couldn't you just use the torpedo aim assist for that?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Do you boat vets use the standard crosshairs or are there better ones out there?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

BadLlama posted:

Do you boat vets use the standard crosshairs or are there better ones out there?

I use one with a couple extra angled lines off the center to try and extrapolate the heading and lead along them, but it's of dubious use most of the time.

Anyway, I wasn't asking about mods for personal use, just curious as to whether they were still existent since I haven't seen any chatter in game about them since starting back up a month ago.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

BadLlama posted:

standard, most custom sights have too much useless poo poo on them

the aim assist mod is garbage for bad people who don't actually know how to aim, and yes, it teaches horrendous habits, learn to aim the normal way and you'll be 100 times better than random pubbies since you understand why you're aiming the way you do, not just emulating what a program tells you

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Ugh I just wanted my win of the day in my Essex. It's been three hours

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Velius posted:

So are there actually aim mods now? I've seen some pretty skilled leading at extreme range and over hills, but that's the exception rather than the rule. If they're out there I haven't seen a big impact from them...

A decent player usually knows where to aim, even at long ranges, as long as he remembers the approximate speed of a ship. Where the aim mod really shines is when quickly switching targets and immediately having a firing solution for them.

Combined with experience and knowing which shots to take and which not, the aim mod is a serious advantage. But you still gotta understand the basics of angling, zig-zagging and other game aspects. The typical pubbie won't benefit from it as much as a veteran.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Hazdoc posted:

standard, most custom sights have too much useless poo poo on them

I prefer the Scalable crosshair in Aslain's - it's thin/viewable/minimalist, doesn't have dumb vertical or diagonal lines(I've never found these to be actually useful for plotting turn firing) and horizontally stretches across your entire line of sight for those reaaally far ahead shots.

The one graphic mod I'd love to make is an armor scheme ship skin mod, but I'm unsure if that'd be legit. I never played WoT so I don't know what Wargaming's policies on that would be.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

BadLlama posted:

I use Hootorez' Tic-Tac for Eye of Sauron, from Aslain's pack. Not sure if it'll help anyone significantly, it's just what I'm used to.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pacra posted:

The one graphic mod I'd love to make is an armor scheme ship skin mod, but I'm unsure if that'd be legit. I never played WoT so I don't know what Wargaming's policies on that would be.

Hit zone skins are fine in WoT, the only thing that's not fine was the mod which turned the hulls transparent and the internal parts hit boxes into colours, like one of those fancy AFV Club 1:35 T-34 kits

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Fortunately I was really in a WOWS mood over the weekend, so I poopsocked every single goddamn pearl mission except the CV one, which I probably won't do, because gently caress CVs. I got all the weeklies last week, too; it doesn't take very long to do the weeklies at all.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
OK, so the 4 million pearls thing will auto-end the event. If it doesn't happen during week 3, I'd like to make an event of Sunday evening games for the start of week 4.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
Well, I don't think I'll ever get this lucky with fires in the Yorck again.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Fergus posted:

Well, I don't think I'll ever get this lucky with fires in the Yorck again.

How are you finding it? I never got a response when asking for opinions. I'd love an AP focused CA but hear it has ultra floaty shells.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

wdarkk posted:

OK, so the 4 million pearls thing will auto-end the event. If it doesn't happen during week 3, I'd like to make an event of Sunday evening games for the start of week 4.
So we'll have to grind Week 3, wait for reset then grind Week 4 ASAP before it ends? :psyduck:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Is the Yorck complete trash? Should I try to freexp over it?

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Velius posted:

How are you finding it? I never got a response when asking for opinions. I'd love an AP focused CA but hear it has ultra floaty shells.

It was the ship that made me quit playing when the German cruiser line came out.
Since coming back, I've found that it's a decent ship. I switched out the turret rotate mod for the accuracy mod, which helped a lot for me.
I also fire almost exclusively HE now, unless I get within 10km of an enemy cruiser.
Don't expect much in the way of armor OR hp, it really is a spongey ship.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Aesis posted:

So we'll have to grind Week 3, wait for reset then grind Week 4 ASAP before it ends? :psyduck:

Yes. With luck, as a group of goons.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

This is only the middle of Week 2 and we're already at 2.5 million. At the rate pearls are currently being gained we won't make it to Week 4 in the first place if they really are ending the event as soon as the total hits 4 million, making this line of speculation worthless. On the bright side, if they do end the event before the new goal even becomes possible for anyone to complete, the storm of complaints they'd get might mean we end up getting something.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Is HE on Yorck as anemic as it on preceding German cruisers?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fergus posted:

It was the ship that made me quit playing when the German cruiser line came out.
Since coming back, I've found that it's a decent ship. I switched out the turret rotate mod for the accuracy mod, which helped a lot for me.
I also fire almost exclusively HE now, unless I get within 10km of an enemy cruiser.
Don't expect much in the way of armor OR hp, it really is a spongey ship.

IIRC the turret rotation mod is only useful on the Yamato anyway.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
One thing to note is that the weekly trickle is less than the pearls available than the big bout of missions at the start, so if they calculated it right pearl generation should be lower this week, and lower still as more casual players pick up the easy starting missions and don't have any left.

I seriously doubt Wargaming put this much thought into it, though.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Lady Morgaga posted:

Is HE on Yorck as anemic as it on preceding German cruisers?

It's got a pretty good fire chance, and does decent damage if you land your salvos.
Bottom line, it's the only option over firing the AP at distances over 10km

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TheDemon posted:

One thing to note is that the weekly trickle is less than the pearls available than the big bout of missions at the start, so if they calculated it right pearl generation should be lower this week, and lower still as more casual players pick up the easy starting missions and don't have any left.

I seriously doubt Wargaming put this much thought into it, though.

This; I only finished the last mission yesterday. I bet it will drop off now that all the other poopsockers are done, as well. (Hope, anyway, I have no idea whether the Kamikaze will even be any good, but whatever, I had fun sealclubbing with low-tier boats I hadn't touched in a long time.)

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Kesper North posted:

This; I only finished the last mission yesterday. I bet it will drop off now that all the other poopsockers are done, as well. (Hope, anyway, I have no idea whether the Kamikaze will even be any good, but whatever, I had fun sealclubbing with low-tier boats I hadn't touched in a long time.)

This here for me too, the pubbies have started getting a serious hatred in me driving the emden. No rage, but you'll see the enemy focus all their effort on shooting me while my team focuses them all down instead.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like the St Louis is way, way worse than I remember it being. Nobody gets close anymore and you have no speed whatsoever.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

wdarkk posted:

I feel like the St Louis is way, way worse than I remember it being. Nobody gets close anymore and you have no speed whatsoever.

Right? I stopped using it and bought a DD instead; got a lot more kills a lot more quickly. St Louis feels pretty crappy now.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Right? I stopped using it and bought a DD instead; got a lot more kills a lot more quickly. St Louis feels pretty crappy now.

Mostly I played it if my Wickes died early in the battle (which happened a little more than I'd like). It still felt atrocious.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

wdarkk posted:

That's what AFT is for :getin:

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
So for the Kamikaze lottery, you've got (Approx.) a 1(000)/14(000 - Based on players online last night) chance of winning the ship with 120+ pearls. That's about 7% chance. I was going to try and shoot for the 260, but I've still got 95 to go, and I refuse to get a CV because I don't want to play as one and I've got most of the others sewed up for the week and the rest will be done in about 10 games tops.

It's like one of those machines where you put quarters in and it pushes the quarters already in the machine towards the ledge, along with a fake gold watch, a plastic ring with a spider on it, and a 1st Gen Ipod , except the machine turns off after you put $10 in.

EDIT: Wait, is it 1000 per server or worldwide?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Almost certainly just for the NA server. Pretty sure the Asia server has already done the Project R event, for instance.

And maybe I'm just being a bit cynical - I guess I'll just see how the total stands as Week 3 begins.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

I love how every single battle I play in this game now consists of my team spreading over the entire map, the enemy team concentrating almost all their forces in one area, killing everyone there, and then just slowly mopping up the rest of my team. Every single game.

The inverse of this corollary is on those occasions where your team actually concentrates in one area, they either leave the base undefended and a single undertiered DD captures it, or your team forms a wrecking ball and repeatedly runs into waves of torpedoes dying quickly.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
Has WG given an ETA on German BB line?
I recall them saying early 2016 but I'm not 100% on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Small patch tomorrow that increases the credit gain on some premium ships.

Wargaming posted:

Albany: +21% Credit earnings
Ah gee too bad I sold that piece of poo poo, I could be getting like 45k credits per game with it.

Kesper North posted:

Is the Yorck complete trash? Should I try to freexp over it?

I don't think it's as bad as the pre-buff Furry Taco, but it's not great. Probably better than the Pensacola, mostly because it has torpedoes.

Lakedaimon posted:

The inverse of this corollary is on those occasions where your team actually concentrates in one area, they either leave the base undefended and a single undertiered DD captures it, or your team forms a wrecking ball and repeatedly runs into waves of torpedoes dying quickly.

Yeah it's great when your team sticks together to roll one side of a map but then they ALL loving STOP when they see a single torpedo or one of them gets set on fire. It's like they're thinking, "Oh no they have guns we have to hide :ohdear:." So 1-3 enemy ships hold them all in place while the rest come around the rear and :smithicide:

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 27, 2016