Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sagebrush posted:

It's not like pop-ups are banned outright. You could still make them, but they'd probably end up looking like that, with a smooth rearwards-sloping curve to gently ease the jaywalking pedestrian into a relaxing prone position on your hood.

I think it would be hard to make genuine pop-ups work with that shape, but easy if you did the spinny ones like on an Opel GT.

Pop-up lights make a ton of wind drag and noise, plus the linkage would consistently poo poo out.

Yeah, they're the loving coolest but I don't struggle too see why they died out in the eighties with this font:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pop-out headlights are cool but we gotta cut costs and use nylon gears here so if some cool guy is leaning on your hood when you try to open them they'll strip out and you're hosed!

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/xJJonU5.gifv

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wooden Trunk Rising: Treevengeance

Pyro Fox
Aug 22, 2013

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

FIRST TIME posted:

That reminds me that the other day I passed by a Nissan Leaf and was super pissed off that they get away with those bullshit headlights but no one makes flip up headlights anymore supposedly for "safety reasons".

Lots of car manufacturers do this now. It's actually designed to reduce the wind noise from your side mirrors.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's ugly as sin, but it's equally genius in it's own right too.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

What's worse is that it doesn't even seem to have uprooted the stump correctly. A failure on every level.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SpacePig posted:

What's worse is that it doesn't even seem to have uprooted the stump correctly. A failure on every level.
I thought grinding it to grade was the normal amount of effort for the stump of a full grown tree if you don't want to involve backhoes, chemicals, or a summer long punishment for a teenager.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Easier to pull it out (if you aren't a moron) if it isn't huge unless you're paying a tree cutting service to do it. That stump is probably too big to pull, especially when the soil is dry.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
im just glad everything worked out well in the end

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

bucksmash posted:

"Well goodness Timothy your father absolutely loved you, just rather than watch you grow up and provide you with a happy childhood, he's a frozen corpsicle on the side of this mountain. But he loved doing it so it's okay, and he can still provide you with some amazing memories. Here, if we zoom in enough with Google Earth you can see his bones! Wave hi to daddy!"

this is also why we stopped sending people to space. because their kids might get sad

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
lol at the people comparing the legitimacy of poo poo like skydiving and wingsuit flying to things that actually benefit mankind

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
what if you wing suit and have no kids, is it cool then??

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

skydiving has done more good than the manned space programs

i'm retarded and mix up skydiving and regular diving

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

"Ok Mom, I'm up, I'm up! You happy now?!"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
engaging in diving and BASE jumping is extremely dangerous and you're a retarded human if you do anything that could endanger your life *takes bite out of hot pocket while swilling mountain dew, scratches rear end after sitting still in chair for eighth consecutive hour*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnifqA_IBZg

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Segmentation Fault posted:

engaging in diving and BASE jumping is extremely dangerous and you're a retarded human if you do anything that could endanger your life *takes bite out of hot pocket while swilling mountain dew, scratches rear end after sitting still in chair for eighth consecutive hour*

it's so rare to see a post containing words that just means totally nothing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"everything that is risky is equally risky and I'm incapable of comparing modest-risk commonplace thrillseeking from ridiculously risky activities that are like a thousand times riskier"
"if you love doing an incredibly risky thing then you should just do it and everyone should admire you for your bravery, irrespective of any other responsibilities you might have in your life"
"recreational cave diving is the same as being a loving astronaut"

Christ, people, get some goddamn perspective. There is nothing heroic whatsoever about paying some Sherpas $10 or $20 a day to haul you up the meticulously-prepared, roped walkway that they spent months risking their lives to create, so you can get to the top of Everest, or possibly randomly die from an avalanche or HAPE/HACE or just because someone ahead of you in line got in trouble and the whole line got held up. It's especially non-heroic when those Sherpas are literally dying from the much higher hazards they face working the mountain in the pre-season in order to earn a pittance by Western standards, because due to massive inequality of wealth distribution, $20 a day for a couple of months is a lucrative career in Nepal that allows those workers to feed their entire extended families for another year.

And no, corpse-retrieval is not a good reason to undertake a risk roughly equivalent to a game of russian roulette. It's very sad that someone's body couldn't be retreived but it's infinitely more sad to just add another body to the black watery hole nobody ever should have gone into in the first place. Those guys aren't conducting science experiments or advancing human knowledge, they're thrill-seeking hobbyists who could spend their time and money and efforts seeking similarly-thrilling adventure that doesn't carry like a one in six chance of early death. I mean if they have no other responsibilities, then whatever, but if you have a spouse or (especially) children then you're being incredibly inconsiderate of those people by throwing your life away.

Do something a thousand times less dangerous, and less expensive to boot, like race car driving, or hang gliding, or normal not-filled-with-water cave exploring, or normal mountaineering. OK nobody's going to gasp in awe as you regale them with your tale of summiting McKinley, but anyone who has actual mountaineering skills will recognize you did something more technically challenging than summiting Everest. And you'll save yourself a good $20k to boot.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 27, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Christ, people, get some goddamn perspective. There is nothing heroic whatsoever about paying some Sherpas $10 or $20 a day to haul you up the meticulously-prepared, roped walkway that they spent months risking their lives to create, so you can get to the top of Everest, or possibly randomly die from an avalanche or HAPE/HACE or just because someone ahead of you in line got in trouble and the whole line got held up. It's especially non-heroic when those Sherpas are literally dying from the much higher hazards they face working the mountain in the pre-season in order to earn a pittance by Western standards, because due to massive inequality of wealth distribution, $20 a day for a couple of months is a lucrative career in Nepal that allows those workers to feed their entire extended families for another year.

I remember being a kid and going to the science center and seeing an IMAX movie about mt. everest, and it had a scene where the struggling american explorer, gasping through his oxygen mask, sinks his pick into the ice and with a superhuman effort hauls himself onto the summit of the mountain

my dad commented afterwards that it must have been hard for the sherpas to climb up there ahead of him with a hundred pounds of camera equipment

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

We should be grateful to the folks pictured in this thread who selflessly give up their lives to push the envelope and live life to the fullest while ignoring safety rules and basic physics. Nerds sitting at home on their computer will never show us that you shouldn't run huge machines on shaky support so that they roll over and destroy stuff while killing their operators. How else are we going to design the next generation of non-killer machinery?

"He died doing what he loved to do, which was drilling near buried power cables with reckless abandon. He made his family proud."

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

"everything that is risky is equally risky and I'm incapable of comparing modest-risk commonplace thrillseeking from ridiculously risky activities that are like a thousand times riskier"
"if you love doing an incredibly risky thing then you should just do it and everyone should admire you for your bravery, irrespective of any other responsibilities you might have in your life"
"recreational cave diving is the same as being a loving astronaut"

And no, corpse-retrieval is not a good reason to undertake a risk roughly equivalent to a game of russian roulette. It's very sad that someone's body couldn't be retreived but it's infinitely more sad to just add another body to the black watery hole nobody ever should have gone into in the first place. Those guys aren't conducting science experiments or advancing human knowledge, they're thrill-seeking hobbyists who could spend their time and money and efforts seeking similarly-thrilling adventure that doesn't carry like a one in six chance of early death. I mean if they have no other responsibilities, then whatever, but if you have a spouse or (especially) children then you're being incredibly inconsiderate of those people by throwing your life away.

Do something a thousand times less dangerous, and less expensive to boot, like race car driving, or hang gliding, or normal not-filled-with-water cave exploring, or normal mountaineering. OK nobody's going to gasp in awe as you regale them with your tale of summiting McKinley, but anyone who has actual mountaineering skills will recognize you did something more technically challenging than summiting Everest. And you'll save yourself a good $20k to boot.

:wth:

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

They're horirble people because they, what? They died doing something that was really meaningful to them? so what the hell is your goony computer posting problem?

They died, leaving families behind, because they were more interested in their own goony hobbies than in their loved ones.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

7of7 posted:

They died, leaving families behind, because they were more interested in their own goony hobbies than in their loved ones.

what abotu the dumb bitches who married someone hell bent on killing themselves in an extremely cool way

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

There is nothing heroic whatsoever about paying some Sherpas $10 or $20 a day to haul you up the meticulously-prepared, roped walkway that they spent months risking their lives to create, so you can get to the top of Everest, or possibly randomly die from an avalanche
1) no one said it was heroic. What I was saying was that it wasn't so ridiculously objectively stupid and selfish as someone proposed
2) you are talking about everst but the original statement that I replied to was about something rad like wing suits.

With that said, some things and endevores are dumb as hell. Doing some cool poo poo that requires a lot of effort like wing suit diving through tight spaces is way different than being pulled up everest by hired sherpas.

7of7 posted:

Sky diving, or just being outside and moving around is definatley the opposite of goony. As for the impact on the families, thats up to each individual member to deal with. IF the wife or kids want to love or hate their dad for it thats up to them, but it most definitely doesn't have an objective judgement that can be placed on it.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Listen this isn't the bourgeoisie recreation safety and health administration. Nobody cares about how important the families of skydivers are. All that is important is that the blood god craves blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWbubayWYig&t=64s

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZN86lo3_20&t=54s

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Back in my day we used blasting caps

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lmaooooo

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Do extreme sports fans actually die younger than average? I mean, they tend to be very fit as well as cool, attractive and popular. Maybe the selfish ones with low life expectancy are the sadbrained fat goonlords??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Do extreme sports fans actually die younger than average? I mean, they tend to be very fit as well as cool, attractive and popular. Maybe the selfish ones with low life expectancy are the sadbrained fat goonlords??

Once you graduate high school you'll find this isn't actually as true as you might think right now

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

bitterandtwisted posted:

I went skydiving over christmas. I also drove a few hundred miles to visit my relatives.

Statistically, both of those things were roughly equally likely to kill me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jabor posted:

I went skydiving over christmas. I also drove a few hundred miles to visit my relatives.

You obviously are selfish jerk and you don't care about your family.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Skydiving is not the same as cave diving.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

GotLag posted:

Flying through a breathable medium really helps.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GotLag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRoLs_zFgo

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

CJacobs posted:

Once you graduate high school you'll find this isn't actually as true as you might think right now

athletes in general are celebrities and adored by millions.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jabor posted:

Skydiving got brought up because of an equivalence with base jumping/wingsuiting, which very much doesn't have the same risk. There's very important conversations to be had about risk management from hobbies to death panels but I'm not sure OSHA.jpg is the place to have them.

To tie it back to OSHA though, the book Private Empire has a fun anecdote about how in the days of expanding Exxon Mobil safety programs following the Exxon Valdez, the VP of HS&E was a notorious extreme sports guy. Until he was in the hospital for another broken bone one day and got a call from the CEO telling him to cut it out or he'll be out of his job.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
I posted about this a while ago, but the video finally leaked. Truck driver enters crossing, stops midway instead of going through the barriers, gets hit by passenger train going 90 MPH.

http://stream6.idnes.cz/vod/1601/27/VF160127_155939_flv_high.mp4 :stare:

edit: had to remove the url tags because it was way too huge.

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How loving retarded do you have to be to think it's better to stop in the crossing than plow through the gate?

Edit: also more evidence that the Anglosphere style of crossing (boom gates only block incoming) is superior

• Locked thread