Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shin kicking.

E: Bollocks, 1951, shin kicking world championship is revived, 1 page too early.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Not sure where you'd consider 'good' to be honest.

If there was some kind of international programme where you could swap your citizenship to another country and go and live there, I think I'd choose Iceland.

What about you 'flaps? Where would you go, or would you stay in the UK?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

StoneOfShame posted:

What is the most Correct sport?

Its hurling though gaelic football, rugby, cricket and snooker are all good to

Pro Wrestling.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Pro Wrestling.

Isn't pro-wrestling the least correct sport as its historically been lunatic capitalists and pimps treating the actual performers like absolute poo poo?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

StoneOfShame posted:

Isn't pro-wrestling the least correct sport as its historically been lunatic capitalists and pimps treating the actual performers like absolute poo poo?

Pro Wrestling is a perfect microcosm of capitalism and should be studied by communists everywhere.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Poaching is the most correct sport.

When you're doing it to piss off a landowner, not when you're stealing tiger penes from national parks to sell to wealthy businessmen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bloody lefty BBC bias.

UKMT February: I have had your letters about Communism carefully examined - Winston Churchill

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 27, 2016

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

Pro Wrestling is a perfect microcosm of capitalism and should be studied by communists everywhere.

"It was me Trotsky, it was me all along."-Josef Stalin

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Party Boat posted:

I think if you get UK your safest bet is to play literacy rate or maybe arable land.

One of my friends actually made a Commonwealth Top Trumps. Its apparantly still around http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Commonwealth-Top-Trumps-Trust/dp/B00466JKAK

Had to pick some really weird stats so the small countries actually had a chance at being valuable cards rather than just lovely filler. Like highest temparature and number of species, etc.

And of course the first batch had to be destroyed after the Malaysian Education Minister saw them and had a public tantrum (my friend used an image of a pig to depict Malaysia).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thespaceinvader posted:

lol and people think we're full.
Maybe not full, but 25% arable land isn't enough for Britain to be self-sufficient with respect to food and cutting into that for new settlements will only make it worse. Luckily we don't have to be self-sufficient, but we still don't want to grow too much more.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
You can be leftist and still realise that there are physical limits to infrastructure. With the point being that no where in Europe has actually reached these limits. Acting like there is no upper limit to a countries capacity for immigration doesn't help anyone.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Regarde Aduck posted:

You can be leftist and still realise that there are physical limits to infrastructure. With the point being that no where in Europe has actually reached these limits. Acting like there is no upper limit to a countries capacity for immigration doesn't help anyone.

But that infrastructure hinges to a large extent on two things, namely investment and technology. The impact of each will be determined to some extent by the other, but anyway, my point is that whilst there may in principle be an upper limit to what a country can sustain, that is going to be a constantly moving target, trending upwards over the long term. Moreover, there are countries whose circumstances mean they do have to be very careful about how many they take in because that number, changing though it might be, is very low - somewhere like Iceland has no hope of absorbing as many people as the US or UK can. But in a country like ours the ability, or not, to take in a decent number of refugees and/or immigrants isn't realistically rooted in our true infrastructural limitations, it's rooted in a failure to invest in, maintain, and expand that infrastructure, whether for reasons of Westminster politics, Tory ideology, NIMBYism, or other.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Why does the UK need to be agriculturally self-sufficient? Is it particularly efficient to grow crops in East England, as compared to the massive breadbaskets of the continent?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mister Adequate posted:

But in a country like ours the ability, or not, to take in a decent number of refugees and/or immigrants isn't realistically rooted in our true infrastructural limitations, it's rooted in a failure to invest in, maintain, and expand that infrastructure, whether for reasons of Westminster politics, Tory ideology, NIMBYism, or other.

Yeah, this. Most of Britain is completely empty countryside (think about what you saw from your window the last time you got on a plane) and there's room to build tons and tons and tons of additional housing and other infrastructure without even starting to come close to the lazy cliche of "concreting over the countryside". We don't fail to build housing because we're full up: we fail to build housing because the British public don't want it as much as they want other stuff.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

ronya posted:

Why does the UK need to be agriculturally self-sufficient? Is it particularly efficient to grow crops in East England, as compared to the massive breadbaskets of the continent?

Well we still import a lot of food, but food security is as important as energy security, as well as being a way to reduce the amount of imported inflation. And transporting food across large distances can be wasteful and harmful to the environment. Also, as an island nation, naval blockades have been tried to be used in the past to starve us into submission, so that leaves a mark on the nations psyche.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Milotic posted:

Also, as an island nation, naval blockades have been tried to be used in the past to starve us into submission, so that leaves a mark on the nations psyche.
Has anyone ever tried a naval blockade against Britain? Surely it would have Britain, with the
colossal empire and the most dominant navy in the world, that was the one doing the blockading?

And even if it was true at some point in the past, "the nation's psyche" is a stretch. WW2 certainly still has an effect in UK discourse and self-identity, but anything earlier than that sounds like quack science to m. Everything in history has a timeline of causation but that would be like saying the plague still has a mark on British psyche.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 27, 2016

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Hoops posted:

Has anyone ever tried a naval blockade against Britain? Surely it would have Britain, with the
colossal empire and the most dominant navy in the world, that was the one doing the blockading?

And even if it was true at some point in the past, "the nation's psyche" is a stretch. WW2 certainly still has an effect in UK discourse and self-identity, but anything earlier than that sounds like quack science to m. Everything in history has a timeline of causation but that would be like saying the plague still has a mark on British psyche.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Hoops posted:

Has anyone ever tried a naval blockade against Britain?

loving nazi Germany :cmon:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Hoops posted:

Your second point undermines your first: German subs pulled off one of the more effective blockades in British history (hence rationing and stuff), at a time when British naval power was waning. And naturally, as you say, it's the one everyone remembers.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The guy set to be next Lord mayor of Birmingham is being attacked this week after someone recorded him calling Cameron an islamaphobe and Prevent racist.

Hes the chairman of birmingham central mosque which is notable for being a shared shia/sunni institution

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Here is what happens when communists try to fight tanks without proper weapons

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

loving nazi Germany :cmon:

And World War 1 Germany. U-boats were a thing, dude.

That said, realistically if we're in that sort of situation again the entirety of the UK becomes a mushroom cloud about 3 weeks in.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Milotic posted:

Well we still import a lot of food, but food security is as important as energy security, as well as being a way to reduce the amount of imported inflation. And transporting food across large distances can be wasteful and harmful to the environment.

Basically this. If Britain is stupid enough to vote to leave the EU you can expect your food bills to jump. Likewise when the price of oil bounces back - commodities become cheaper to sell when they're cheaper to transport. And while the naval blockade argument is out of date, it's worth asking if the food might stop coming because people weren't willing or possibly not able to sell it to us.

Food self sufficiency is not essential, but it is desirable.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I'm pretty sure the UK could be self sufficient for food but you just would have to adapt to some produce being seasonal as opposed to year round.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I'm pretty sure the UK could be self sufficient for food but you just would have to adapt to some produce being seasonal as opposed to year round.

No passion fruit in winter? Forget food banks, this is the real food crisis, says Zoe Williams
1,603 comments

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I hope you like wheat, oilseed rape and sugarbeets then.

Also, according to Wikipedia:

quote:

British farming is intensive and highly mechanised, but the country is so heavily populated that it cannot supply its own food needs. The UK produces only 59% of the food it consumes. In 2010, it exported £14 billion worth of food, feed and drink, and imported £32.5 billion. The vast majority of imports and exports are with other Western European countries.[8][9]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_the_United_Kingdom

Dirty foreigners, comin' 'ere and eatin' arr food!

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35418488

'Bedroom tax': Government loses Court of Appeal cases

quote:

The so-called bedroom tax has been declared discriminatory by Court of Appeal judges, following a legal challenge by a domestic violence victim and the family of a disabled teenager.

The government has said it will appeal against the ruling.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Junior G-man posted:

I hope you like wheat, oilseed rape and sugarbeets then.

Also, according to Wikipedia:

Dirty foreigners, comin' 'ere and eatin' arr food!

Depends how you define food "needs" I guess. I, like Comrade Corbyn, have an allotment and there's not a lot that I can't grow here.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Phoon posted:

The guy set to be next Lord mayor of Birmingham is being attacked this week after someone recorded him calling Cameron an islamaphobe and Prevent racist.

Hes the chairman of birmingham central mosque which is notable for being a shared shia/sunni institution

Yeah, its disgusting the way people are attacking him, what he said is completely true but a Muslim isn't allowed to point out discrimination against them without being a Britain-hating terrorist (I fully reserve the right to take this all back if he declares Birmingham a caliphate).

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

A massive shift to vegetarianism in UK seems unlikely at this time.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Depends how you define food "needs" I guess. I, like Comrade Corbyn, have an allotment and there's not a lot that I can't grow here.

I'm not disputing your allotment comrade.

But unless you have the space, time, and energy to grow all your food needs year-round from your allotment (which you almost certainly don't) you'll need to depend on professional farmers.

And they can't nearly grow enough to meet the UK's food needs, even if you went back to a diet based on wheat with the occasional sheep's head thrown in.

Cerv posted:

A massive shift to vegetarianism in UK seems unlikely at this time.

That might do the trick tbh.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

StoneOfShame posted:

Yeah, its disgusting the way people are attacking him, what he said is completely true but a Muslim isn't allowed to point out discrimination against them without being a Britain-hating terrorist (I fully reserve the right to take this all back if he declares Birmingham a caliphate).

The birmingham mail is leading the charge but their official stance is that they aren't mad about what they said, but that he lied about it (imo that's bullshit and they're mad about what he said)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

StoneOfShame posted:

What is the most Correct sport?

Its hurling though gaelic football, rugby, cricket and snooker are all good to
Starcraft teaches that victory is impossible without control of the means of (unit) production.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Junior G-man posted:

I'm not disputing your allotment comrade.

But unless you have the space, time, and energy to grow all your food needs year-round from your allotment (which you almost certainly don't) you'll need to depend on professional farmers.

And they can't nearly grow enough to meet the UK's food needs, even if you went back to a diet based on wheat with the occasional sheep's head thrown in.

That might do the trick tbh.

What is this claim that the UK "can't" really based on? I admit some things would become seasonal but it seems to me that it's more that we "don't want" to be more self sufficient as a nation rather than "can't". Not that I think there's anything really wrong with it, I'm not an isolationist after all.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

ronya posted:

If there's another European war at some point between now and the extinction of the human race we would lose access to said breadbaskets. Not that likely, maybe, but potentially catastrophic if it does happen.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

What is this claim that the UK "can't" really based on? I admit some things would become seasonal but it seems to me that it's more that we "don't want" to be more self sufficient as a nation rather than "can't". Not that I think there's anything really wrong with it, I'm not an isolationist after all.
Modelling and studies like the ones described here:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...r05KNLQHHnZQUeQ

I'd be interested to know if that took into account second order effects like fertiliser production. The Haber process consumes about 5% of the world's natural gas (yes we're literally dependent on fossil fuels to eat) and I have no idea what the UK's production capacity is like.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is the best and most revolutionary anime.

Tanks should have balloons attached to them so you can send them to Mother Base.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Phoon posted:

The birmingham mail is leading the charge but their official stance is that they aren't mad about what they said, but that he lied about it (imo that's bullshit and they're mad about what he said)

The Birmingham Mail is a loving rag it led the charge claiming the school I work at was being taken over by Muslims when a dinner lady got sacked for posting inappropriate poo poo on facebook despite all but like 3 members of teaching staff being white British.

Zephro posted:

Starcraft teaches that victory is impossible without control of the means of (unit) production.

I said sport.

Also Kill la Kill is the best anime, there I said it.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The birmingham mail loves to completely freak out about anything even vaguely terrorism/extremism related I think they just want things to be more dramatic than they are

ps Gurren lagann is better than kill la kill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

All anime is terrible

• Locked thread