Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Torpor posted:

If the Sheriff was gaming the Bundy's to lure them out then that actually makes the FBI/LE seem rather competent.

Extremely competent since Sheriff Palmer is a certifiable right-wing extremist of very close to their variety. If they actually managed to lean on him to get him to do this I'll be really impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Torpor posted:

If the Sheriff was gaming the Bundy's to lure them out then that actually makes the FBI/LE seem rather competent.

My interpretation was actually more like how quickly he got turned against them with some federal woodshed talks, and then believe they needed to be taken in himself (folks like this kind of always believe they were on the right path of thinking).

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Right now Blaine Cooper is the biggest known time-bomb at the refuge. There may be other nutcases with a death-wish there but I wish like hell he was already in custody.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Extremely competent since Sheriff Palmer is a certifiable right-wing extremist of very close to their variety. If they actually managed to lean on him to get him to do this I'll be really impressed.

That said they may not have had to do that since the meeting was basically public knowledge.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

my dad posted:

Can someone explain the situation with the kids?

Blaine Cooper, and his wife, had children. While they were loving around with their treason, the grandmother decided enough was enough and called CPS to pick up the kids. Blaine had a meltdown, and some buddies of his impersonated law enforcement and kidnapped the kids. The kids were reported to have been taken to a "secure location", but it's widely assumed that they were smuggled to the refuge. Now Blaine refuses to leave, and people are worried that his kidnapped children are going to be killed when he provokes a shootout with law enforcement.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

If that Sheriff actually turns out to have been playing the SovCit movement in order to honeypot them I'll eat a literal crow.

If he was it was a pretty long con. I'd put my money on the Feds telling him to either get in line or get a lawyer to defend against a conspiracy charge.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

my dad posted:

Can someone explain the situation with the kids?

There's a bunch of people up at the "fort" including kids. This includes Blaine Cooper's two kids who were taken him from Child Services only for him, Santelli, and others to KIDNAP them on a live feed and bring them back there. Once all the ring leaders were arrested Santelli wanted to break it all up and send everyone home and called Cooper back at the compound, but Cooper appeared to tell Santelli that he was going to "stand his ground" and give up his life (Santelli was telling him he has a lot to live for) and now the kids and others may or may not be hostages/shields for the psychos up there.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Captain Bravo posted:

Blaine Cooper, and his wife, had children. While they were loving around with their treason, the grandmother decided enough was enough and called CPS to pick up the kids. Blaine had a meltdown, and some buddies of his impersonated law enforcement and kidnapped the kids. The kids were reported to have been taken to a "secure location", but it's widely assumed that they were smuggled to the refuge. Now Blaine refuses to leave, and people are worried that his kidnapped children are going to be killed when he provokes a shootout with law enforcement.

STAC Goat posted:

There's a bunch of people up at the "fort" including kids. This includes Blaine Cooper's two kids who were taken him from Child Services only for him, Santelli, and others to KIDNAP them on a live feed and bring them back there. Once all the ring leaders were arrested Santelli wanted to break it all up and send everyone home and called Cooper back at the compound, but Cooper appeared to tell Santelli that he was going to "stand his ground" and give up his life (Santelli was telling him he has a lot to live for) and now the kids and others may or may not be hostages/shields for the psychos up there.

poo poo. :(

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

RIP Tarp Man, you went out in a gunfight with the cops just like you said you would you crazy bastard.

Thank god they were able to capture a good chunk of the ringleaders though. Are there any estimates on just how many women and children are held hostage staying there?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
If these assholes are responsible for the deaths of children because they go full Koresh/Jonestown, I hope every one of them has the book thrown at them.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

STAC Goat posted:

If anything happens to those kids, that video of Santelli smiling while announcing that the militia helped Cooper "rescue" his kids from CPS is going to become infamous really drat quick. Not that Santelli won't rationalize that it was someone else's fault.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
Roll in with the MRAP, let the fuckers waste all their ammo and then gas and bag em'

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

Pete, to his credit, was actually really worried about the kids and actually went to the cops for help. That's when they arrested him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Interweb posted:

You're right, but that's why I said he was the least worst person. Still bad, but probably not as bad as that Ritzheimer or Santelli gently caress.

I don't know, running what's as close as he could likely get to a child slavery thing, and getting government money for it, is pretty drat bad. Personally, for me, child abuse in whatever form causes my estimation of a person to drop a lot, so while Santelli was running around shouting his idiocy Finicum, who likely believes much of the same, went there specifically intending to kill or be killed and had his whole child labor setup going on and was far more actively malicious and harmful.

Grem posted:

I think the one who kidnapped his kids back was Cooper.

Ah, alright. The stories got confused for a while there.

Also, nthing that Cooper still being uncaptured is a majorly bad thing; the guy wants the place to become a bloodbath and I hope he's captured and put away for a long time because holy crap he's actively trying to get the kids and others there killed now.

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.
My local news keeps reporting that the standoff came to a "violent end" tonight. It doesn't seem like this is over, unfortunately.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I'm with you. I've said all along that I want the cops to preserve life as rule #1 in this just as much as I do in any inner city or with any person of any color. Its sad that a life was lost and it should be scrutinized. But, you know. A month of "they'll never take me alive" makes an impact on your perspective.

That's fine. I think we agree.

Forced to put money on it, based on the protestors' rhetoric, I would wager that the police report is probably accurate. But I think most people here would approach this type of fatality with a healthy level of skepticism and I think it's only fair to extend it here, even if they were more likely to be aggravators.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Volkerball posted:

and a man who just surrendered claimed he'd fight to the death there. we don't know how any of these people are going to respond.

Only way those kids get out alive is if somebody shoots Blaine in the back

He's stone cold ready to murder

The rest? probably not, it's important that some cowards don't flee so they can be there forcing Blaine to look inward as well

Shakenbaker posted:

Pete, to his credit, was actually really worried about the kids and actually went to the cops for help. That's when they arrested him.

Pete had plenty of chances to help those kids and instead thought it'd be so wonderful to have them around as shields. He's as culpable as Blaine is

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Also holy poo poo I can't wait to read the tell all book about this stand off once it (hopefully without further loss of life) ends.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shakenbaker posted:

Man, gently caress him so loving much.

I'm really torn here. On one hand I'm glad these fuckers are freaking out. That after a month of playing soldier they're faced with the actual reality of what they've been doing and it scares the poo poo out of them. They don't want to die or kill anyone, they're just scared and want the game to end. Which is good. I'm glad they're human.

But MOTHERFUCKER YOU ASSHOLES CAUSED THIS! THIS IS YOUR loving FAULT! I HATE YOU AND I HOPE YOU loving ROT!

Its really, really frustrating.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lotka Volterra posted:

If these assholes are responsible for the deaths of children because they go full Koresh/Jonestown, I hope every one of them has the book thrown at them.

blain might be nuts enough to do it. my guess is he will kill the kids if he even thinks the cops are coming.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Shakenbaker posted:

As much as I want to say gently caress all the militia guys, good on him for at least giving some kind of a poo poo.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Shakenbaker posted:

I guess he deserves slightly more credit than the people who are still holed up, but I read this as a rat getting off a sinking ship. How much of his stream did he devote to those children's safety prior to the arrests?

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Venom Snake posted:

the white version of ISIS.

You are an idiot.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Yea, most PDs are filled with insane crazy people, around here they openly associate with the local biker gangs, and not the weekend dad ones.

Citation needed.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I've been in class since 7; what happened? Got a news update on my phone saying Mammon got arrested; how did that go down?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone is taking a poo poo on the stream

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

The rest? probably not, it's important that some cowards don't flee so they can be there forcing Blaine to look inward as well

I never thought I'd hope for something like that to happen, like not jokingly, actually hope, but here we are.

Better, of course, would be if he wets himself at the first sight of a federal rifle and surrenders. But gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

STAC Goat posted:

Man, gently caress him so loving much.

I'm really torn here. On one hand I'm glad these fuckers are freaking out. That after a month of playing soldier they're faced with the actual reality of what they've been doing and it scares the poo poo out of them. They don't want to die or kill anyone, they're just scared and want the game to end. Which is good. I'm glad they're human.

But MOTHERFUCKER YOU ASSHOLES CAUSED THIS! THIS IS YOUR loving FAULT! I HATE YOU AND I HOPE YOU loving ROT!

Its really, really frustrating.

Am personally happy for them to live in peace separated and moved on from their ill-conceived militia cause. Except now with properly enforced financial ruin from the federal and state level everywhere they go.

Also loss of 2nd amendment rights

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

UIApplication posted:

Someone is taking a poo poo on the stream

Some guy in the room just ripped the nastiest fart.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Shakenbaker posted:

Pete, to his credit

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

are you his psychiatrist? what blaine said is very easy to say.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, as much as I don't want any loss of life part of me hopes one of these guys puts a bullet in the back of Cooper's head if it preserves all that innocent life.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
Felony child endangerment can net you up to 20 years in Oregon, so so I hope we're looking at some century-plus sentences once this is all over with.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
As per FBI, the wounded individual from the shootout has been released from the hospital and taken into custody.

Also a release from OSP:

quote:

OFFICER INVOLVED SHOOTING INVESTIGATION UNDERWAY IN HARNEY COUNTY

News Release from Oregon State Police
Posted on FlashAlert: January 26th, 2016 8:14 PM
On January 26, 2016 at approximately 4:30PM, Oregon State Police Troopers were involved in an officer involved shooting during the arrest of several individuals near Burns.

The Deschutes County Major Incident Team will be assisting the Oregon State Police and the Harney County District Attorney's Office with the investigation. The investigation will be conducted in compliance with Senate Bill 111 which outlines protocols to be followed when deadly physical force is used.

As released by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, one adult male suspect is deceased and one other adult male suspect received non-life threatening injuries. No law enforcement personnel were injured.

The incident occurred on Highway 395, about 20 miles north of Burns. Highway 395 is expected to be closed for an extended amount of time for the investigation to be conducted.

There will be no further information released until tomorrow. Please refer to an official release by the Federal Bureau of Investigation:

Arrests Made in the Occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge: Joint Statement by the FBI and OSP - 01/26/16
At approximately 4:25 p.m. (PST) on Tuesday, January 26, 2016, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Oregon State Police (OSP) began an enforcement action to bring into custody a number of individuals associated with the armed occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. During that arrest, there were shots fired.

One individual who was a subject of a federal probable cause arrest is deceased. We will not be releasing any information about that person pending identification by the medical examiner's office.

One individual suffered non-life threatening injuries and was transported to a local hospital for treatment. He was arrested and is currently in custody.

The arrested individuals include:

* Ammon Edward Bundy, age 40, of Emmett, Idaho
* Ryan C. Bundy, age 43, of Bunkerville, Nevada
* Brian Cavalier, age 44, of Bunkerville, Nevada
* Shawna Cox, age 59, Kanab, Utah
* Ryan Waylen Payne, age 32, of Anaconda, Montana

These probable cause arrests occurred along Highway 235.

In a separate event in Burns, Oregon, at approximately 5:50 pm, Oregon State Police arrested the following individual:

* Joseph Donald O'Shaughnessy, age 45, Cottonwood, Arizona

All of the named defendants face a federal felony charge of conspiracy to impede officers of the United States from discharging their official duties through the use of force, intimidation, or threats, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 372.

We continue to work with Harney County Sheriff Dave Ward and his deputies; Oregon State Police; and the United States Attorney's Office to address any further outstanding issues. As the investigation is ongoing, we cannot comment further at this time.

All defendants should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Dusty Baker 2 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 27, 2016

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vahakyla posted:

Citation needed.

I live in a rural hellhole its p crazy out here.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

cravius posted:

You are an idiot.

they are endangering archaeological sites, stealing from locals, and threatening to kill anyone who stops them but lets not get to hasty with the terrorism label!!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

We're at the phase of the anti-government action where people livestream 6 second sharts

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I guess he deserves slightly more credit than the people who are still holed up, but I read this as a rat getting off a sinking ship. How much of his stream did he devote to those children's safety prior to the arrests?

I mean, yeah, if he was really worried about the kids he should have done something sooner.

Adoomsdaygap
Apr 20, 2013

Thanks for linking this. I tune in just in time to get a massive militia fart. :butt:

Also these guys seem unable to understand why they were even arrested in the first place. Its unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzVFugFcUto&t=3s

• Locked thread