Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Circle of Blood is fuckin great.

drat straight. First issue alone is some top-tier Punisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I actually just found out the MAX Ennis run is being put into the more reasonably priced Complete Collection trade run. First one comes out next month, pretty pleased about it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
My live show about pop culture is doing an episode about the X-Men this week. A big part of our show is showing clips that are cool/funny/will spark discussion related to the topic.

What are some X-Men related clips we should show? Bonus points for things not from the movies or that feature creators like Liefeld and Stan Lee.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

No one can possibly blame me for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmqSOr2-NY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Bc7QQeLAY

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Circle of Blood is fuckin great.

So is the one shot where Punisher and Spidey go take out a South American death camp.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

muscles like this? posted:

So is the one shot where Punisher and Spidey go take out a South American death camp.

As a Punisher and Spidey fan, what is this, because I need it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RandallODim posted:

As a Punisher and Spidey fan, what is this, because I need it.

Giant Sized Spider-Man #4 written by Gerry Conway and art by Ross Andru, it's in Essential Punisher vol 1.

It's really awesome because it's early enough that Punisher still just straight up kills people.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 24, 2016

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Unmature posted:

My live show about pop culture is doing an episode about the X-Men this week. A big part of our show is showing clips that are cool/funny/will spark discussion related to the topic.

What are some X-Men related clips we should show? Bonus points for things not from the movies or that feature creators like Liefeld and Stan Lee.

I'm on mobile so I can't link it but that Magneto vs a wooden gun clip from the 60s Fantastic Four cartoon. That's key.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm on mobile so I can't link it but that Magneto vs a wooden gun clip from the 60s Fantastic Four cartoon. That's key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-JVvCrGC8

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Ahahahaha holy poo poo. So was Magneto then just too demoralized and embarrassed to escape prison or something? Like yeah his powers didn't work on the wooden gun but they don't make handcuff and prison bars out of wood?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well, he had already surrendered at that point. You can't just take it back.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

Ahahahaha holy poo poo. So was Magneto then just too demoralized and embarrassed to escape prison or something? Like yeah his powers didn't work on the wooden gun but they don't make handcuff and prison bars out of wood?

The latest series of movies had him in a prison made out of plastic, dangling from non-metallic cables, in the middle of a very deep pit that, theoretically was wide enough and deep enough that there was no metal, including rebar, in range of his powers.

Edit: although it didn't really look like it, since he picked up a baseball stadium in days of future past. Also, the golden gate in X3.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 26, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Senor Candle posted:

Also at the moment Reed tells that to Magneto, they're surrounded by policemen carrying metal guns who drove there in their metal cars, but that show was not written by people who gave a drat.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
These are awesome, thank you! And keep 'em coming, people. The show ain't until Thursday.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The other clip from that same episode is even better, but I'm also on mobile and can't link. Basically he goes to get gas in his metal car just so he can call the attendant a fool when he reveals it doesnt need gas.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkc_Myyye20

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

"Nobody tells me what to do! Besides, fuel is for lesser men!"

Dude's reading straight out of the Dr. Doom playbook.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kizudarake posted:

The latest series of movies had him in a prison made out of plastic, dangling from non-metallic cables, in the middle of a very deep pit that, theoretically was wide enough and deep enough that there was no metal, including rebar, in range of his powers.

Edit: although it didn't really look like it, since he picked up a baseball stadium in days of future past. Also, the golden gate in X3.

Yeah, but the cartoon we're talking about features him getting arrested by normal cops carrying metal guns and metal handcuffs driving metal cars after the hero explicitly said "your powers still work, I just tricked you with a gimmick prop."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was thinking it made sense because at the time that cartoon was made Magneto's primary archnemesis were 3/5ths a guy that flew, a guy that was good a acrobatics, and a girl that could move a desk if she concentrated hard, so his powers weren't very impressive then, but nope, apparently he flips a truck away effortlessly in that same episode.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Much like how Magneto is able to do any bullshit he wants by saying it relates to magnetism (insert that "my magnetic personality" panel here), his only weakness is a lack of self-confidence.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

Much like how Magneto is able to do any bullshit he wants by saying it relates to magnetism (insert that "my magnetic personality" panel here), his only weakness is a lack of self-confidence.
ED NOTE: Erik "Lenshirr" "Magnus", AKA MAGNETO, an Omega-Level mutant supremacist. MAGNETO's ability to control magnetism is, in fact, tied to a localized reality-warping ability*. MAGNETO has convinced himself that he is the MASTER OF MAGNETISM, placing an unintentional psychokinetic block on the full range of his fearful abilities.

(* Also seen in his children, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff, who are both able to manipulate reality in ways that enable them to perceive they are affecting probability or moving at immense speeds).

HOnestly, the little tidbit that most of mutantkind are immensely powerful but can't tap the full reserve of their abilities because they don't understand physics or whatever is my favorite X-mutant thing. "OH the cold guy? Yeah technically he just controls molecular/atomic excitation, but he likes to make ice slides all day so who can blame him"

VvV
I believe that was due to exposure to Claremonticals, caused by the explosion of a parallel world's binary star one half-femtosecond out of sync with E-616's timestream.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 27, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Magneto's over-explanation of everything he does is his secondary mutation.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
The problem with Magneto's powers is ultimately, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. In theory, the man should be able to kill like 95 percent of all of Marvel's characters by looking at them (Electromagnetism includes electricity, our brains run on electrical signals, if he can mentally control electricity he should be able to just turn off people like a switch, boom, they brain dead), but if you bring that up, you have to start inventing excuses why he doesn't do that (needle in a haystack, too much concentration, whatever) and people complain they're excuses. If you try to just avoid mentioning it at all, then the same shitgoblins will just bring it up themselves. Really, you might as well have him lose by suffering a complete lack of confidence over being tricked by a wooden gun. It's not like the types will accept anything else anyway.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cornwind Evil posted:

(Electromagnetism includes electricity, our brains run on electrical signals, if he can mentally control electricity he should be able to just turn off people like a switch, boom, they brain dead)

And yet, MRI machines don't wipe your brain, and transcranial magnetic simulation is still a weird baby science unless something happened when I wasn't looking (which, to be fair, is totally possible).

Electricity in the brain is weird and one of the neatest things I remember from a random-rear end elective I took back in undergrad. Electricity in familiar technology takes the form of actual electrons squirting around (:pseudo:), whereas within the brain, it's in the form of big, chunky ions (potassium, calcium, and one more I think?) that can enter or leave individual neurons in certain circumstances that I don't remember because humanities. When the aggregate charge of all the ions inside a neuron hits a certain threshold, which I believe varies from neuron to neuron but by no means quote me there, that neuron blasts an action potential down its axon, which poops a chemical signal into whatever synapse that axon ends at. The chemical signal is somehow (:pseudo:) read by any dendrites that terminate in that synapse, and the neurons attached to those dendrites do some bullshit (:pseudo:) with their ability to accept or release ions.

I posted all of that mostly to see how much I would remember. But the point is: Magneto's ability to screw with the brain, like his ability to screw with hemoglobin, is waaaaay over-estimated.

And the real point is that you should make sure that you take interesting electives, because they're stuck in your brain forever whether you like them or not.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just read the first and third paragraphs that I posted there, unless you're one of my old professors.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Squizzle posted:

And yet, MRI machines don't wipe your brain, and transcranial magnetic simulation is still a weird baby science unless something happened when I wasn't looking (which, to be fair, is totally possible).

True, but they're not DESIGNED to do that. If you have complete mental control of electromagnetism, the details are basically the coat of paint and the furniture in the house you are dropping a large bomb on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

True, but they're not DESIGNED to do that. If you have complete mental control of electromagnetism, the details are basically the coat of paint and the furniture in the house you are dropping a large bomb on.

"Designed" doesn't matter. People can walk around in rooms with MRI's passing through fields randomly with no ill effects. Essentially, the human body and the brain in particular is not electrical in any sense that would be useful to Magneto.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Look just tell yourself Magneto actually just controls metal with his mind and does not wield a fundamental universal force.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Applying :airquote:science:airquote: to bullshit powers that don't make a lick of sense is super annoying and I don't know why it happens to mutants more than other superheroes. Wolverine's healing factor violates conservation of mass. So does every single guy who can turn into a bigger guy. The human torch's power violates conservation of energy in more ways than I can count.

But no, people feel the need to talk about what Kitty Pryde's powers do to atoms or what Iceman's powers can do if he REALLY tries.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because at least on the surface mutant powers are supposed to be biological.

The Human Torch has cosmic power. But Sunfire, it's supposed to be something his body can just do somehow.

This doesn't make any loving sense at all with techopaths, and literal computer brains and teleporters and stuff but that doesn't stop it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

Because at least on the surface mutant powers are supposed to be biological.
Yeah, you kind of bite yourself in the rear end when you say it's a result of IRRADIATED GENETICS.

But Genetics itself was a new and crazy thing when this poo poo started, so you can hardly fault them for using a scientific discovery as an exciting little story mechanism.
See also: modern usage of Quantum or Nanomachines, anything computer/internet related in the 90s.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
I don't mind Cyclops' eye-portals to the Punch-Laser Dimension. However, I'm also a big DC guy, so I'm used to mountains of bullshit.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The human genome in Marvel probably has junk DNA kicking around it from millions of years of interbreeding with eternals, deviants, inhumans, aliens, uplifted animals, genetically-modified time-travelers, androids, animated statues, minotaurs, non-minotaur monsters, homunculi, cosmically-empowered humans, attractive enough super-apes, angels, demons, fairies, minor spirits, major spirits, medium spirits, spirit mediums, gods, demigods, para-gods, supergods, double gods, reverse gods, godlike cosmic entities, embodiments of abstract concepts, blessed people, cursed people, wizards, people soaked in ghost juice, and people who acquired heritable superpowers from accidental exposure to unusual rocks and/or rays.

The x-gene could just be a little genetic note the Celestials installed that says "see if there's anything interesting you can activate in all this crap".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Wolfman.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aphrodite posted:

Also Wolfman.

I thought he was mostly a DC guy. :haw:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Wolfman counts as a non-minotaur monster.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If I was a writer for Marvel I'd explain that Magneto doesn't control the electromagnetic spectrum, his power is to move metal around. Pretty simple.

I'd also pitch a Son of Satan solo every single day nonstop, but that's a subject for another time

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Then people would question, why just metals? We made up what makes something a metal. There's no hard rule.

There's no way to win.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Exactly! Then on one adventure he ends up on a planet whose inhabitants consider bone a metal and he's able to wreck everyone's poo poo that much harder while he's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Then he faces the League of Mutant-Hating Astrophysicists and can suddenly control everything but hydrogen and helium.