Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I always thought there was no soul in 00. I figured the incident with Rei and 00 was due to 00 being a test type that isn't entirely on par with 01 and 02, with the freakout coming from it temporarily regaining some control and realising there was a foreign entity linked into its brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mindblast posted:

I always thought there was no soul in 00. I figured the incident with Rei and 00 was due to 00 being a test type that isn't entirely on par with 01 and 02, with the freakout coming from it temporarily regaining some control and realising there was a foreign entity linked into its brain.
That's what I thought

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It seems to deliberately attack the control centre twice and Ritsuko had reason to believe it was targeting her.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Wouldnt be surprised if 00 saw Ritsuko and Gendo often overlook whatever the hell they were doing to it. poo poo I'd be pissed as gently caress if the same ants come torture/experiment on me for months and months. :v:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

ChairMaster posted:

Well I mean if we really wanna get into it EoE makes it fairly clear that your soul isn't gone as soon as you die, as shown by all the people that end up included in instrumentality in the end even though they died about half an hour ago.

Rei at the start, Rei at the finish. When was it NOT instrumentality?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Rei at the start, Rei at the finish. When was it NOT instrumentality?

Rei wouldn't be a party to human instrumentality any way, would she?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

bowmore posted:

That's what I thought

You need a soul in the Eva to make an AT field though. I think.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kytrarewn posted:

Rei wouldn't be a party to human instrumentality any way, would she?

She was in Shinji's form of it so why wouldnt she be. I have heard it said she was outside of it but is that Canon?

Hell we have little clue as is what happens fully with instrumentality., all I known it is similar version to what happens if an angel were to join with Adam (but the Angel merging with Adam to create a new life form or something)but in EoE humans joined with their version of Adam which was a Lillith Adam fusion to become a single mega entity.

And as far as I know that included all parties (Adam, Lillith, Rei and humanity included).

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 27, 2016

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Man, maybe I should watch EoE again as I basically understand nothing from the last twenty posts

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've seen it at least 12 times and I'm struggling

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A number of years ago I authored a DVD of EoE using the Renewal R2 disks and the subs from the Manga release, which resulted in rewatching it something like ten times over the course of like 2 weeks. Weirdly never got too sick of doing so.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Agronox posted:

Man, maybe I should watch EoE again as I basically understand nothing from the last twenty posts

I'd give it some time to sink in/out/whatever it does, I dunno.

Not exactly an expert on EoE rewatching. Ask In Training. :v:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 27, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sakurazuka posted:

It seems to deliberately attack the control centre twice and Ritsuko had reason to believe it was targeting her.

Remember that there's no distinction between Rei's soul and Lilith's, and also that (as per Asuka's mother) souls can be split, manifesting (at least in our sample size of one) as personality disorders in the split person. There's only one Rei, but her personal identity informed by memories and social relationships is progressively chipped away at and redefined as the series progresses.

Your theory's totally consistent with that, even if there's no direct evidence in the way there is with Yui or Asuka' mother.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 27, 2016

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

would just like to point out that these are the voice actors for the female leads

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

would just like to point out that these are the voice actors for the female leads

I did not know that.

Cool!

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Reminder that Rei's va also did Yui, unit 01 screaming, and pen pen

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jostiband posted:

I'd give it some time to sink in/out/whatever it does, I dunno.

Not exactly an expert on EoE rewatching. Ask In Training. :v:

The first stage is : wtf just happend, followed by talking about it and reading it up online.

The second stage: is where you start get an understanding (kinda) of whats happening with the plot.

The third (impact)stage : you re watch episode 25-26 again and EoE (either seeing the episodes as a compliment to EoE or something else). You notice a switch of the sub-text becoming the fortext.

The fourth (impact): you figure out what the subtext is saying.

The final stage: You sit down and have a little think for a while and begin to take things into perspective. Life changes may ensue(quoting a friend as he described Evangelion to a non fan).

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 27, 2016

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Also something awful forums poster a cartoon duck!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

.jpg posted:

Reminder that Rei's va also did Yui, unit 01 screaming, and pen pen

And the radio show lady.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i still haven't downloaded the bd rips so i don't know whether it includes this but here's the extended version of the live action sequence from end of eva for anyone who hasn't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwBs3VsNfdY

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

i still haven't downloaded the bd rips so i don't know whether it includes this but here's the extended version of the live action sequence from end of eva for anyone who hasn't seen it

definite must watch, although I can see why it was cut

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

:fap:, obviously.

It still cracks me up that the insert booklet for S2 Works has Shinji's blood-covered hand on the front cover and his otherwise-covered hand on the back cover.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

can't make a story about an adolescent boy w/o blood tears and semen

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

Radio Spiricom posted:

required viewing

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darley-Wilkinson posted:

required viewing

Wow. I had no idea this even existed.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

anyone who's interested should probably check out his first two live-action features (cutie honey is fine but it is by no means required viewing) they're both really good and i think a bit more direct about communicating his pet themes than eva because they don't obfuscate them.

love & pop is a really interesting movie, it's ostensibly shot on sony handycams - i'm not actually sure what the acquisition format is but it was shot digital in 1998 so i presume consumer grade cameras close to that variety - which are placed in increasingly odd locations and endlessly shift perspective. like eva, it's another exploration of a highly interiorized experience of adolescence; it's about four high schoolers who practice compensated dating. sort of a bit like godard's vivre sa vie.

shiki-jitsu is significantly more personal. it stars director shunji iwai as an ex-anime director trying to make a "real film" so that he can embrace reality, who falls for a woman who has developed obsessive-compulsive rituals to escape reality. it's a pretty straightforward melodramatic love story after that but it is again constantly shifting, this time between visual mediums. especially interesting is that it uses animation to explore the female character's interior psychology.

also for consideration would be shunji iwai's all about lily chou chou which always struck me a bit like eva without the robots in terms of its emotional character.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 27, 2016

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

a kitten posted:

Wow. I had no idea this even existed.

yeah i only found it a few years ago. i dunno if this is obvious, but that's anno's voice at the end

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Darley-Wilkinson posted:

yeah i only found it a few years ago. i dunno if this is obvious, but that's anno's voice at the end

Yeah, it's Anno speaking as Shinji. iirc Anno decided to scrap the extended sequence really early into post-production so Shinji's VA never recorded their lines, Anno just did a reading for the workprint.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

interview with Kazuya Tsurumaki (dir. EoE25, FLCL among other things) from the EoE program book in 97:

-- Finally, do you have some message for the fans?
KT - Don't drag the past around. Find the next thing that interests you.

-- Does that mean not becoming fixated on "Evangelion"?
KT - Yes. It's always better to let something that has finished end.

So, we watchin the rebuilds??

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

also for consideration would be shunji iwai's all about lily chou chou which always struck me a bit like eva without the robots in terms of its emotional character.

this looks really interesting, I'm gonna check it out. dude was great in ritual

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

mr. stefan posted:

Yeah, it's Anno speaking as Shinji. iirc Anno decided to scrap the extended sequence really early into post-production so Shinji's VA never recorded their lines, Anno just did a reading for the workprint.

oh, i totally didn't realize- i thought anno was making a deliberate point by explicitly inserting himself

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

all about lily chou chou was too over the top depressing for me

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zas posted:

KT - Yes. It's always better to let something that has finished end

Yes! A man after my own heart.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
even before rebuild eva was drowning in spinoffs, so lol on that guy

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Zas posted:

interview with Kazuya Tsurumaki (dir. EoE25, FLCL among other things) from the EoE program book in 97:

KT - Yes. It's always better to let something that has finished end.

I just finished rewatching all three yesterday and yeah honestly they're okay but oh boy are they ever superfluous.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I like 3 a lot, and I like the way it directly addresses the Tsurumaki quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Zas posted:

If you like, but as others have said, they're not really required viewing. The first is pretty well a straight up remake of the first 6 episodes, and although it does differ later in some interesting ways, it's... I don't know. NGE the TV series and EoE the movie are products of Anno entirely; he started to make a giant robot show and into that he poured himself- all he loved, all he hated, all of the issues he was going through at the time, and what resulted was something wholly remarkable. The Rebuilds, while ostensibly the the same story with the same themes, was made when Anno was is a completely different place in his life, and is thus a different story. Is it a better or worse story? That's kind of an "apples and oranges" argument, and I don't really like judging a series that is incomplete (aren't there supposed to be one or two future ones?), but...it creates an interesting dichotomy between original flavor NGE and the Rebuilds in which they are both too different and not different enough to be an effective exercise in comparison. So, I probably won't be joining in if we do tackle the Rebuilds.

• Locked thread