Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Goodpancakes posted:

I've had hangouts change me, for people contacting me, to random people. As in I become a white woman one conversation then a black man the next.

My mom became a Chinese 20 year old a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have never had this happen in a couple years of using hangouts and now I feel like I'm missing something magical.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
One of my friends had me in his contacts, then one day after messaging me on Hangouts I became "Name Unspecified". Of course, Google wouldn't let him change my name in his contacts list either.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FAUXTON posted:

I have never had this happen in a couple years of using hangouts and now I feel like I'm missing something magical.
Never had this happen to me either.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The weird part for me is how it changed his name to something that is apparently no one on the planets name.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Thermopyle posted:

The weird part for me is how it changed his name to something that is apparently no one on the planets name.

This is just the early beginnings of the Google ai gaining the free will to gently caress with us

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermopyle posted:

The funny thing is that it sounds like something you'd get if you asked a drunk Indonesian for their name.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

hey is this the Nexus 6P havers thread where you can show me what things you put your phones in to protect them? Buncha guys at work including me just got one the past weeks and the guys be complainin that the backside is too slippery, so we're looking for any ideas for protective cases or just cases in general

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ilifinicus posted:

hey is this the Nexus 6P havers thread where you can show me what things you put your phones in to protect them? Buncha guys at work including me just got one the past weeks and the guys be complainin that the backside is too slippery, so we're looking for any ideas for protective cases or just cases in general

If it's too slippery just put some grip tape on it.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ilifinicus posted:

I've had mine in this case since I got it. It's a bit expensive since it's an official case, but it's nice. It's already a big phone so it doesn't add much bulk and it helps with the slippy feel.

https://store.google.com/product/adopted_case_n6p

Warning: when you put your phone on the table all your iphone owning friends will want to try to touch the microfiber back.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Can someone explain Google's 2FA to me?

Like, I get 2FA. I use it on Steam, I use it with Mint.com, and it makes sense. When I log in from an unknown PC/browser, I get a code emailed to me. I enter that in, and then I can sign in from that device normally from now on.

But with Google there's all this talk of multiple codes for each Google service and it's got to go to an app and there's codes to scan and ahhhhhhh. Is there a way to just get one code emailed to me once for all Google services per-device?

ilifinicus posted:

Just get whatever TPU case Diztronic makes for it. They're a solid brand.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Tunga posted:

I'll do this so we can get it out of the way:

But seriously, I would consider that to be a bug in the OS. I have never had an Android phone connect to a network without me having previously connected to it, and Forget will always stop it connecting automatically in future.

Yeah, I guess it could be it. I figured out a pattern now - it's whenever the phone has been restarted that it tries to connect again. I guess I may have tried to connect to that network once, I don't remember, but that doesn't explain why Forget Network doesn't work. I wonder if perhaps it's syncing something from Google account on restart from the one connection attempt I (may have) made?

Require More Fire posted:

Like, I get 2FA. I use it on Steam, I use it with Mint.com, and it makes sense. When I log in from an unknown PC/browser, I get a code emailed to me. I enter that in, and then I can sign in from that device normally from now on.

But with Google there's all this talk of multiple codes for each Google service and it's got to go to an app and there's codes to scan and ahhhhhhh. Is there a way to just get one code emailed to me once for all Google services per-device?

I'm not sure what you mean. I've got the Authenticator app installed on my phone, which I had to set up by scanning a QR code one time. I believe you can choose to have codes emailed or SMSed instead if you wish. But there's not multiple codes per service. It generates a code for me that I can use to sign to any service with my Google account.

chippy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 27, 2016

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
quote != edit

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

I've got one 2FA code for my Google account, full stop. Where are you seeing multiple codes mentioned?

e; For cases, I use this case on my 6P - I had a similar one for my N5 and its so thin it barely adds anything to the bulk of the phone, and it doesn't cover the buttons. Not much shock protection at all, really just some protection against scuffing the phone setting it down. Also generally a little bit cheaper than most of the TPU cases.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 27, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

But with Google there's all this talk of multiple codes for each Google service [...]

I think you're seeing the fallback they put in place to support legacy services which aren't aware of 2FA, like really old Android phones. They give you a unique per-service password instead.

You probably won't need that stuff.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I have to use an app password to read my gmail in a not-web browser mail client

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

chippy posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. I've got the Authenticator app installed on my phone, which I had to set up by scanning a QR code one time. I believe you can choose to have codes emailed or SMSed instead if you wish. But there's not multiple codes per service. It generates a code for me that I can use to sign to any service with my Google account.

repiv posted:

I think you're seeing the fallback they put in place to support legacy services which aren't aware of 2FA, like really old Android phones. They give you a unique per-service password instead.

You probably won't need that stuff.

sirbeefalot posted:

I've got one 2FA code for my Google account, full stop. Where are you seeing multiple codes mentioned?

I guess I'll give it another try then, maybe I was missing something. I'm doing this on a 5x too, so it's not an old phone.

EDIT: Okay, either they changed something since I last tried or I am dumb (latter probably), and I get it now. Thanks!

Luchadork fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 27, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ilifinicus posted:

I have to use an app password to read my gmail in a not-web browser mail client

That depends on the client. Some (eM Client, in particular) can use OAuth, or whatever it's called, where it opens up a little browser window where you sign in and input your 6-digit 2FA code.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Whizbang posted:

If it's too slippery just put some grip tape on it.

I got one of these. I like it. Got the smoky one since I just got the plain aluminum.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ilifinicus posted:

Glass screen protector on the front and a skin around the rest. The phone *is* made of slippery, so I just wanted something with more grip. And its big enough as is.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 20, 2018

KoB
May 1, 2009
Is there a recommendation on what chargers to get/avoid for a 5X? Just picked one up and I remember hearing about a bunch of chargers that werent fast charging and stuff.

Ideally ones without giant wall plugs. You could usually find USB ones that were pretty small.

edit: Like would these 2.0 to TypeC cables work just fine or would they not fast charge

KoB fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 27, 2016

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

KoB posted:

Is there a recommendation on what chargers to get/avoid for a 5X? Just picked one up and I remember hearing about a bunch of chargers that werent fast charging and stuff.

Ideally ones without giant wall plugs. You could usually find USB ones that were pretty small.

edit: Like would these 2.0 to TypeC cables work just fine or would they not fast charge

There is a google engineer who is currently working through bad cables right now

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/11/google-engineer-leaves-scathing-reviews-of-dodgy-usb-type-c-cables-on-amazon/

Also RIP hangouts apparently, SMS is being gutted.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incoherent posted:

Also RIP hangouts apparently, SMS is being gutted.

gently caress everything :( I don't wanna go back to using two separate apps.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Does this mean I won't be able to send sms from the chrome app? If so, gently caress.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

I guess I'll give it another try then, maybe I was missing something. I'm doing this on a 5x too, so it's not an old phone.

EDIT: Okay, either they changed something since I last tried or I am dumb (latter probably), and I get it now. Thanks!

When it first launched, for apps that weren't 2 factor aware, you would need to generate special log in passwords, or app specific passwords. I believe that's what it's referring to. Want to set up your account on your phone? Need an app password for that. I think most things no longer require app specific passwords however, and do the 2FA correctly by asking for a code.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CRAYON posted:

Does this mean I won't be able to send sms from the chrome app? If so, gently caress.

Google Voice SMS is not going away - only carrier SMS.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CRAYON posted:

That's Google Voice integration, not SMS.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Not sure if this is the right thread and if the answer was yes I probably would have found something on Google but is there anything beyond a hard reset I can do to my tablet (Nexus 7 2012)? I've cause to believe either my tablet or router is compromised and a hard reset of both has not solved the problem.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Death Zebra posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread and if the answer was yes I probably would have found something on Google but is there anything beyond a hard reset I can do to my tablet (Nexus 7 2012)? I've cause to believe either my tablet or router is compromised and a hard reset of both has not solved the problem.

There is a tablet thread but of course there's flashing the factory image.

It will not help, the NAND in a 2012 Nexus 7 is complete poo poo.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone know how much it costs to replace a broken screen on a 2013 Moto G in the UK?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone know how much it costs to replace a broken screen on a 2013 Moto G in the UK?
I'd imagine it's not a better deal than just buying a new phone.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Just get whatever TPU case Diztronic makes for it. They're a solid brand.

Was curious about this; does anyone have any experience with nasty drops (with any phone) with a Diztronic case? How did it fare?

I have literally never dropped a phone but that just means I'm lucky, so far.

(Wait, no, that's a lie. I dropped my naked Galaxy S2 chest-height, screen-first, onto hard tile at work once back in 2012. Not a loving mark. That thing was a tank.)

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Daily Forecast posted:

Was curious about this; does anyone have any experience with nasty drops (with any phone) with a Diztronic case? How did it fare?

I have literally never dropped a phone but that just means I'm lucky, so far.

(Wait, no, that's a lie. I dropped my naked Galaxy S2 chest-height, screen-first, onto hard tile at work once back in 2012. Not a loving mark. That thing was a tank.)

Heh, I drop my phone about once every two weeks on average. Usually from chest height onto concrete. I dropped my n5 (with diztronic case) probably 50 times. The worst was when it came out of pocket on my scooter at 45mph. It never got a scratch.

Although I much prefer the ringke slim case on my 5x to the diztronic. Much slimmer and nicer feeling but protects just as well.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

n.. posted:

Heh, I drop my phone about once every two weeks on average. Usually from chest height onto concrete. I dropped my n5 (with diztronic case) probably 50 times. The worst was when it came out of pocket on my scooter at 45mph. It never got a scratch.

Although I much prefer the ringke slim case on my 5x to the diztronic. Much slimmer and nicer feeling but protects just as well.

I always wonder why people use cases. I don't wonder anymore.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

AC has an interesting article about how good Sony's concept OS track is: http://www.androidcentral.com/sonys-marshmallow-concept-shows-how-android-should-be-2016

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Grumpwagon posted:

Hey man, poo poo happens. I'm very careful with phones (except for that one time; I came around a corner too fast, hit a counter with my hip, and tripped while the phone was in my hand; it went flying) and I don't drop them, but you'll wish you had a case the one time it happens.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Grumpwagon posted:

The fact that I always use a case and know they work well makes me more careless when holding in. The size is also a huge factor, I drop my phones more the bigger they get. I always have it in my hand when getting up or getting out of the car since it's too big to comfortably keep in my pocket sitting down.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

n.. posted:

The fact that I always use a case and know they work well makes me more careless when holding in. The size is also a huge factor, I drop my phones more the bigger they get. I always have it in my hand when getting up or getting out of the car since it's too big to comfortably keep in my pocket sitting down.

I wasn't being critical. You're clearly using the product (the case) for it's intended purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

Hey man, poo poo happens. I'm very careful with phones (except for that one time; I came around a corner too fast, hit a counter with my hip, and tripped while the phone was in my hand; it went flying) and I don't drop them, but you'll wish you had a case the one time it happens.

I didn't.

I go caseless. One time I did drop my phone and shatter the screen. I was and am still glad to go without a case.