Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rabble posted:

So I have this quest to show Triss a little soldier figurine or statuette. The only problem is that the minute I walk up to Triss The quest where you have to help all the mages escape novigrad kicked off and I wasnt able to get triss to look at the statue before she boarded a boat to god knows where.

Now I'm stuck with this quest in my log that literally says "talk to triss" but there's no marker on the map because triss is gone. Does she show up later, am I missing something, or is that quest irreparably borked?

I've found a couple things that I apparently should have done before she GOT BOAT and Geralt just says "Too bad I can't ask Triss about this" and I can still do the quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rabble posted:

So I have this quest to show Triss a little soldier figurine or statuette. The only problem is that the minute I walk up to Triss The quest where you have to help all the mages escape novigrad kicked off and I wasnt able to get triss to look at the statue before she boarded a boat to god knows where.

Now I'm stuck with this quest in my log that literally says "talk to triss" but there's no marker on the map because triss is gone. Does she show up later, am I missing something, or is that quest irreparably borked?

you will be able to complete it

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I personally really like the fast travel system, and if I play the game again I'll see if I can disable fast travel except from main cities to eachother. Riding, sailing, and running around the beautiful world is one of my favourite things.

I also love that the out of bounds fast travel works if you're on Roach, and that the game was obviously not designed around that.

Another fun one was fast travelling to a dock on a boat, then doing so again with another boat. I spawned 200 feet in the air above the first boat. Good to know you don't take fall damage in a boat.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Had my FPS drop straight through the floor during the Therazane fight. I have to say fighting a skull-level earth element at slideshow speeds for 15+ minutes is quite the experience. I don't recommend it.

The game froze during its death animation then went back to being completely fine. Weird. PS4 version, even

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I had the very same thing happen, but I am on the PC so I started it up from the directory the next time and it worked fine. I wish I knew for certain why it happened at all, but it seems like a bug.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
CDPR is pretty stupid.

Let's introduce Wolf school gear quests at level 14, but set the gate for the gear at level 21, and put the diagrams at a location you won't be able to access until level 25 - 30.

The gently caress is the point in having it in the game if I can be in enhanced, or even superior cat/griffin/ursine gear by then?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
There are no level restrictions to areas. All quests and enemies can be beaten regardless of suggested level. You rarely have to fight for schematics so you can run in.

Perhaps you are the dumb one?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love this game, finally did the Tyromancer quest and got the Emmentaler.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nasgate posted:

There are no level restrictions to areas. All quests and enemies can be beaten regardless of suggested level. You rarely have to fight for schematics so you can run in.

on the other hand, the XP and level-based progression system in Witcher 3 is completely vestigial

Like, I feel it's a thing they added because that's what RPGs do, right?? But it feels very artificial and janky.

Edit: as in, I think the dude is overreacting, but it's a legitimate point on a large scale.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm still mad at the bullshit poison griffin (whatever those were called) that it let me manual save in front of and could two shot me and whose poison chewed through every possible healing item I could use at once when every other level appropriate thing would take ten to twelve hits. Especially compared to the final boss who would have had to have attacked me eighty times in a row without me using Igni or Quen once to kill me.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Nasgate posted:

The wolf school gear can't be made until Kaer Morhen (which is actually gated by the story) so both the suggested level and level restriction have no meaning. It would have an easy fix by scattering it in the world like the upgraded versions.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Pro tip: trigger the level ~30 basilisk in the swamp across the river from Oxenfurt, then slowly swim to the city, allowing it to follow you. Point and laugh while it cuts down dozens of Redanian guards and witch hunters, then stroll off at your leisure to play gwent or chat with Shani or something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm still mad at the bullshit poison griffin (whatever those were called) that it let me manual save in front of and could two shot me and whose poison chewed through every possible healing item I could use at once when every other level appropriate thing would take ten to twelve hits. Especially compared to the final boss who would have had to have attacked me eighty times in a row without me using Igni or Quen once to kill me.
You can stop the poison effect by using Quen. It actually stops any timed effect like bleeding, burning etc. So you hit Quen and only then use a healing item. Not that I expect you to have known that because there are quite a few systems in the game that aren't explained outside of random loading screens but there's always a method in this game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Delacroix posted:

The wolf school gear can't be made until Kaer Morhen (which is actually gated by the story) so both the suggested level and level restriction have no meaning. It would have an easy fix by scattering it in the world like the upgraded versions.
The Wolf school gear was added as a free DLC and it was probably easier to add the set in one location than to gently caress with too many places/files that would have hosed with people's saves. Sure it would have been better to have it available at a proper level but they're extra items that you would just get added to your stash in a different game I guess. Also the DLC came out at a time when most people who bought the game at release were already far into the game and didn't mind traveling back to Kaer Morhen for some extra gear.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Palpek posted:

You can stop the poison effect by using Quen. It actually stops any timed effect like bleeding, burning etc. So you hit Quen and only then use a healing item. Not that I expect you to have known that because there are quite a few systems in the game that aren't explained outside of random loading screens but there's always a method in this game.

Welp.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I want to give Friendly HUD a shout out. It's worth installing just for the Quick Action menu improvements alone: you can apply any oil or drink any potion directly from the radial action menu. Not needing to drop into inventory just to apply the appropriate oil pre-combat is great. This works well with a controller. Almost all of the mod does, he's put in a lot of effort.

This is a high quality mod. The author has even modded in an Options sub menu named Mods, with a sub menu for Friendly HUD. It's got a number of other features that are not reflected in the name, it's more than just a dynamic/minimal hud mod. Def give it a look if you're modding your game.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Nasgate posted:

Yea lol I should git gud so I can get to Kaher Morhen before the main quest allows me.

Oh wait I can't. The content is literally gated by the main story.

It's you, you're the dumb one.

Palpek posted:

The Wolf school gear was added as a free DLC and it was probably easier to add the set in one location than to gently caress with too many places/files that would have hosed with people's saves. Sure it would have been better to have it available at a proper level but they're extra items that you would just get added to your stash in a different game I guess. Also the DLC came out at a time when most people who bought the game at release were already far into the game and didn't mind traveling back to Kaer Morhen for some extra gear.

This makes no sense. If that were the case, why have any DLC at all? Might gently caress with people's saves (lol what?) Never mind the new haircuts and beard styles, multiple new witcher contract DLCs, gwent cards, HORSE ARMOR, etc. All of that was in Velen and it worked fine. If people had already beaten the game then why not just put the Wolf school stuff in Velen/Skellige like everything else? That way anyone staring over in NG or NG+ doesn't have to wait until 2/3 of the game is over to get the armor they want. It's a stupid decision and it forces people to re-use the Griffin/Bear/Cat stuff until near end game.

I'm a wolf school witcher. Not a bear or a cat, so what the hell? And then the Viper school gear is a slicker looking version of the Kaher Morhen starting armor you start with at the beginning of the game.

CDPR is pretty lazy and is rushing this DLC out so they can dust their hands off and say 'yep we promised 2 DLCs and we delivered ok get hyped about CYBERPUNK.'

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: as in, I think the dude is overreacting, but it's a legitimate point on a large scale.

I know right? Pointing out stupid stuff in video games is such an overreaction.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 27, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Yea lol I should git gud so I can get to Kaher Morhen before the main quest allows me.

This makes no sense. If that were the case, why have any DLC at all? Might gently caress with people's saves (lol what?) Never mind the new haircuts and beard styles, multiple new witcher contract DLCs, gwent cards, HORSE ARMOR, etc. All of that was in Velen and it worked fine. If people had already beaten the game then why not just put the Wolf school stuff in Velen/Skellige like everything else? That way anyone staring over in NG or NG+ doesn't have to wait until 2/3 of the game is over to get the armor they want. It's a stupid decision and it forces people to re-use the Griffin/Bear/Cat stuff until near end game.

I'm a wolf school witcher. Not a bear or a cat, so what the hell? And then the Viper school gear is a slicker looking version of the Kaher Morhen starting armor you start with at the beginning of the game.

CDPR is pretty lazy and is rushing this DLC out so they can dust their hands off and say 'yep we promised 2 DLCs and we delivered ok get hyped about CYBERPUNK.'

Actually putting the Wolf Armour in Kaer Morhen was a really good idea. I didn't bother exploring any of that map the first time around, it really helps you find a reason to go and explore it and see all the neat stories they put into the area. The upgraded sets of wolf armour are actually placed across Velen and Skellige.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

:goonsay:

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Alright so I'm on my second playthrough and Witcher 3 is amazing. The one thing I can't get my mind around is the crisis for the magic users in Novigrad. First of all , Witcher 2 left me with the distinct impression that the most powerful of them are megalomaniacs that nearly destroyed the world. So I'm not feeling bad when they get hunted down. But what about the presumably innocent B-league wizards? Why do they need Geralt or anyone's help getting out of the city and avoiding pogroms? They can use goddamn magic, such as, portals! Or invisibility, or shapeshifting! Well maybe some of them are just alchemists etc. How about they just stop wearing wizard robes, dress like a peasant and walk out the goddamn gate? The city isn't locked down to people leaving afaik. Last point: maybe you folks should have left for Kovir when the first witch hunters started showing up and not when they cover the entire city. The fact that some literal Miracle Workers can't afford the boat fare for a trip to Kovir blows my mind, how are magic users not all rich? :psyduck:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Actually they've been really good about responding to player feedback and patching up the game. The cosmetic DLCs are cosmetic, and the first actual expansion they put out isn't lazy or rushed at all, it's great.

The Wolf armor was released a few months after the base game. Many of the schematics are in Kaer Morhen, because that's the Wolf School stronghold. Also there wasn't much to do there before, so the Wolf schematic quests give you incentive to explore a lot of very cool locations in KM. Since it was released well after the base game, it makes some sense to not scatter the schematics all over Velen or whatever since then you're sending players back to locations they've probably already mostly explored.

Gx5: Good God Goku, Get a Grip.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Mr. Pool posted:

Alright so I'm on my second playthrough and Witcher 3 is amazing. The one thing I can't get my mind around is the crisis for the magic users in Novigrad. First of all , Witcher 2 left me with the distinct impression that the most powerful of them are megalomaniacs that nearly destroyed the world. So I'm not feeling bad when they get hunted down. But what about the presumably innocent B-league wizards? Why do they need Geralt or anyone's help getting out of the city and avoiding pogroms? They can use goddamn magic, such as, portals! Or invisibility, or shapeshifting! Well maybe some of them are just alchemists etc. How about they just stop wearing wizard robes, dress like a peasant and walk out the goddamn gate? The city isn't locked down to people leaving afaik. Last point: maybe you folks should have left for Kovir when the first witch hunters started showing up and not when they cover the entire city. The fact that some literal Miracle Workers can't afford the boat fare for a trip to Kovir blows my mind, how are magic users not all rich? :psyduck:

I don't think that most of them are actually that powerful, you may have a skewed perspective since all the magic users in W2 were basically demigods. But the kind of people that the witch hunters are going after by the time of W3 are more like the herbalist in white orchard than Triss or Yennifer. As for why people don't abandon their homes immediately when things start getting bad... people don't like to leave their homes and they keep telling themselves that it will get better soon, it happens a lot.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah, if you read the profiles of the people burned when you get there, it's not anywhere close to people like Yen, Triss, or Phillipa.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a lot of regular people with no magical connection at all too.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

Actually they've been really good about responding to player feedback and patching up the game. The cosmetic DLCs are cosmetic, and the first actual expansion they put out isn't lazy or rushed at all, it's great.

The Wolf armor was released a few months after the base game. Many of the schematics are in Kaer Morhen, because that's the Wolf School stronghold. Also there wasn't much to do there before, so the Wolf schematic quests give you incentive to explore a lot of very cool locations in KM. Since it was released well after the base game, it makes some sense to not scatter the schematics all over Velen or whatever since then you're sending players back to locations they've probably already mostly explored.

Gx5: Good God Goku, Get a Grip.

Oh yea, there is so much to see and do in the Kaer Morhen area. Fewer than 10 map markers of things to see! That place exists only to host a huge, pivotal battle and apparently lock wolf armor behind a level/quest gate. I'm annoyed that I am stuck using the same cat/bear/griffin armor I already used my first playthrough, and a witcher of the wolf school starts off wearing what turned out to be viper school gear, and can't get his own armor until you're almost done with the game because they wanted us to 'explore' nine total things.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Enable the console and use the command to add the Wolf Armor to your inventory.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Almost all the mastercrafted gear is so high leveled that you're really only going to use it for the final battle, if that. So much so, especially with the Wolf gear, that I imagine they intended them mostly for New Game+ playthroughs.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

ZearothK posted:

Enable the console and use the command to add the Wolf Armor to your inventory.

I did that, and would like to get the upgrades, but can't until I advance the story enough to unlock Kaer Morhen.

I'm not even trying to get master crafted gear yet. I'm only 21, which means I'm *just* able to get the enhanced wolven armor, but only after I get to about level 25 - 30 and unlock the area it's in.

Whatever. I'll just mod/console it. Apparently there's a mod that applies master crafted wolven gear stats to the starter kit you begin with.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I don't think that most of them are actually that powerful, you may have a skewed perspective since all the magic users in W2 were basically demigods. But the kind of people that the witch hunters are going after by the time of W3 are more like the herbalist in white orchard than Triss or Yennifer. As for why people don't abandon their homes immediately when things start getting bad... people don't like to leave their homes and they keep telling themselves that it will get better soon, it happens a lot.

Fair enough. It would be nice if the game kinda demonstrated the breadth of magic users, I imagine some are very powerful but hyper specialized for example. From the games it kinda seems like there are only wimpy novices and demigods.

Another piece of setting that I have probably forgotten: can human mages live forever? They can make themselves appear young and beautiful but how old is Yen? or Philippa? Have they been accumulating knowledges for centuries like Avallach? I know witchers don't really die of old age, Geralt is ~100 y/o, although this is irrelevant since Witchers Don't Die In Their Beds.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mr. Pool posted:

Another piece of setting that I have probably forgotten: can human mages live forever? They can make themselves appear young and beautiful but how old is Yen? or Philippa? Have they been accumulating knowledges for centuries like Avallach? I know witchers don't really die of old age, Geralt is ~100 y/o, although this is irrelevant since Witchers Don't Die In Their Beds.

Yen's in her late 90s, I think. Philippa's 300ish. I don't remember how old Triss is, I want to say about 50?

Anyway, either immortal or close enough. There was one mage in the novels who looked really old though, I think he died at Thanedd.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There are conflicting infos on Geralt's age as they come from many different sources including Sorceresses who like to lie about their age and make him deliberately older in comparison. He's basically somewhere between 50-150 yers old, yeah that much of a spread. Vesemir is presumably about 220 years old.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Palpek posted:

I must have been in the minority who didn't burn through the game to unlock Kaer Morhen by then. As a aimless wanderer I didn't need a reason to explore everywhere, I remember finding those pieces without quest UI to lead me there. The music was so poignant that it deserved sketching out what history was placed around in that map (I was not disappointed, CDPR :unsmith: ).

I know I stopped playing until the patch that normalised the level restrictions on witcher school sets due to playthrough-stopping bugs so I thought it was a nuisance. Backtracking to previously explored locations to get the upgraded diagrams was fine (I think it reset loot) but I had completed almost all of the wolf school bounty hunts before I could make the basic gear which felt odd compared to the other sets.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Why doesn't the debug console work?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I did that, and would like to get the upgrades, but can't until I advance the story enough to unlock Kaer Morhen.

I'm not even trying to get master crafted gear yet. I'm only 21, which means I'm *just* able to get the enhanced wolven armor, but only after I get to about level 25 - 30 and unlock the area it's in.

Whatever. I'll just mod/console it. Apparently there's a mod that applies master crafted wolven gear stats to the starter kit you begin with.

You gotta enable to console with a mod. Nexus seems down now so I'm not sure if this is current for 1.12 but there's an updated version of it there someplace. http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/143/

To add the upgrades just add the different level of gear.

So wolf school stuff is:
additem ('Witcher Armor'), additem ('Witcher Armor 2') etc. Pants, gloves and boots go up to level 4 for mastercrafted.

To get the new game plus versions add NGP before the item name so: additem ('NGP Witcher Armor 3') will give you the legendary mastercrafted jacket.

Fair warning though, if you do add the new game plus versions on a regular play through even death march won't be much of a challenge.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How does Death March compare to Witcher 2's Dark Mode? I am almost through Witcher 2 in my complete trilogy playthrough and playing Witcher 2 in Dark Mode (and W1 on hard) is absolutely awesome. Punishing but not at all unfair. So for my Witcher 3 import game i'll be playing on Death March on new game plus. Is it similar in the "unforgiving but rewarding" sense that Dark Mode is?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've only played the Witcher 3 on Death March so I don't know what the other difficulties are like but I guess the game gets stupid easy at level 10 instead of 8 as far as I can tell.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

How does Death March compare to Witcher 2's Dark Mode? I am almost through Witcher 2 in my complete trilogy playthrough and playing Witcher 2 in Dark Mode (and W1 on hard) is absolutely awesome. Punishing but not at all unfair. So for my Witcher 3 import game i'll be playing on Death March on new game plus. Is it similar in the "unforgiving but rewarding" sense that Dark Mode is?

Well, the early game is kinda rough. But the difficulty curve really drops off mid-game no matter what difficulty setting you're on.

The main difference with Death March is you don't heal from meditating, so healing is extremely valuable in the early-mid game, and enemy damage is very high so you'll get creamed in a couple hits from anything challenging.

It's not necessarily hard after mid-game, but it is somewhat unforgiving I suppose.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I appreciate the replies, it still sounds like what i'm looking for. I almost wish there was a way to just start Witcher 3 on NG+ if you are importing a character from W2 since thematically it makes sense based on Geralt's power level, but I've already beaten W3 so it's a moot point.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mr. Pool posted:

Fair enough. It would be nice if the game kinda demonstrated the breadth of magic users, I imagine some are very powerful but hyper specialized for example. From the games it kinda seems like there are only wimpy novices and demigods.

The druids in skellige are a great example of what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pellisworth posted:

Well, the early game is kinda rough. But the difficulty curve really drops off mid-game no matter what difficulty setting you're on.

The main difference with Death March is you don't heal from meditating, so healing is extremely valuable in the early-mid game, and enemy damage is very high so you'll get creamed in a couple hits from anything challenging.

It's not necessarily hard after mid-game, but it is somewhat unforgiving I suppose.

Yeah, you can still get 2 shot by multiple standard enemies in the game if you do are not paying attention. Using alchemy and signs can make it pretty hard to die, but i still die every now and then on DM if i get overconfident and rush a group of nekkers.