Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

bobkatt013 posted:

Its hard to do it since there is the mythology episodes that go to poo poo after the end of the syndicate and then the monsters of the week episodes. There are a few that most everyone agree are great or trash, but there is a lot of that depend on personal taste.

Yeah, I totally understand. I'm not even sure how long I want to keep up with the mythology stuff (or the series at all) past season 6.

I did re-watch the pilot on Netflix....MAN does this show hold up. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hedrigall posted:

How come someone hasn't made a gif/screenshot of Bigface McGee shovelling food into its enormous face yet? From the mutant children walk-by scene.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, Henretta Lacks wasn't experimented on by the government. Her doctor just kept her tumor growing after she died.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Hey, it's a GBS poster.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Jack Gladney posted:

Hey, Henretta Lacks wasn't experimented on by the government. Her doctor just kept her tumor growing after she died.

The derived cell line was packaged and sold for decades while her family was kept in the dark. It's a fair comparison.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

mr. unhsib posted:

I did re-watch the pilot on Netflix....MAN does this show hold up. drat.

It's kind of astounding how well the pilot works. That scene where they experience time loss, and get out of the car and Mulder is freaking out, and they both just start laughing as the rain pours down...at this point we're like 30 minutes into the series and the world already feels coherent and the chemistry between the leads is somehow already cemented. It's great.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TEAH SYAG posted:

Hey, it's a GBS poster.

Nah, he's using a spoon.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

:barf:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The first episode was a mess, but an interesting one. The second was obviously much more familiar and not too bad. I'd heard as much in the early reviews and hoping that I'd like them more as a long-time (and scarred as a child) fan but the reviews were bang on. Excited for the next episode, which by all accounts is a great one.

But man do the new episodes look ugly and bland. It's definitely a victim of being shot on digital in Vancouver, which I've noticed in other recent shows lately and really hate. I don't know what it is exactly, maybe the air and the light just don't film well. But when you have gorgeous shows like Breaking Bad, Mr Robot, Fargo, etc. it's a shame that such a high-profile revival ends up looking so dull.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

el oso posted:

The first episode was a mess, but an interesting one. The second was obviously much more familiar and not too bad. I'd heard as much in the early reviews and hoping that I'd like them more as a long-time (and scarred as a child) fan but the reviews were bang on. Excited for the next episode, which by all accounts is a great one.

But man do the new episodes look ugly and bland. It's definitely a victim of being shot on digital in Vancouver, which I've noticed in other recent shows lately and really hate. I don't know what it is exactly, maybe the air and the light just don't film well. But when you have gorgeous shows like Breaking Bad, Mr Robot, Fargo, etc. it's a shame that such a high-profile revival ends up looking so dull.

X-files looks a hell of a lot worse when its filmed in LA.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 27, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

JetsGuy posted:

1) Who the gently caress is watching Supergirl? People who leave their TVs on one channel?

Me, for one. This week's episode featured J'onn J'onzz fighting a goddamn White Martian. Supergirl is A-Ok.

As was Founder's Mutation, that was some gruesome, and fun X-Files.

Plus, Vik Sahey as Gupta, always good to see Lester get work.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Between the self-C-section and the doc's head bleeding from every opening, it's nice to see the new series isn't shying away from the type of body horror that made the original series so great.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

el oso posted:

To be fair, they filmed that during our summer. I think they used to film here in the fall and thus all the dreary weather and great mood.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
What was with all the pointless flashy cg in the first episode? It wasn't badly donr but all the whizzing spaceships and aliens and poo poo kind of kills the mystery

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

This second episode was a vast improvement over the first, but the editing was weird and abrupt, especially towards the end when Mulder and Scully go from being in the hospital to standing outside behind a line of red tape, and little more is said about the mutant kids.

mr. unhsib posted:

I want to do an X-Files re-watch but I really don't want to go through every episode. Is there a "mandatory episodes guide" or something people would recommend? I see a few for select seasons in this thread but I'm looking for something more comprehensive. Thanks.

I'm doing my own re-watch, having just started on season 1. Someone posted a few pages back a mandatory list that ran something like 'Pilot, Deep Throat, Squeeze, Ice, Fallen Angel, Eve' and so forth. That was pretty much my plan, and I guess for the later seasons I'll watch the mytharc as well as episodes I remember fondly. I doubt I'll go in for seasons 8 and 9, though. There's little there worth watching again.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And we're back baby! Perhaps not the best ever but I thought it was exactly the type of episode that was the bread and butter of the series back in the day. I also liked how it was mostly a MOTW episode but still maintained some mytharc connections. There were a couple of minor issues that ha e been pointed out, but they didnt detract significantly from the qualities of the episode.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This alien DNA experiment revelation realy put into perspective the number of seemingly random mutants that was on this show since season 1. Tooms, flame assassin, electric Darrin, insect boy from the episode with Aaron Paul, crazy plant control lady, Hungry guy, fat sucker, all of them could be alien hybrids.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

First ep was a mess, second ep felt like an average episode of the show. One possibly trivial thing I was left wondering: why were Mulder and Scully assigned to investigate the suicide in the first place? It appeared on the surface like a psychotic break and suicide - there was nothing X-Filey about it. So why were the X-Files team sent to look into it?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

ozza posted:

First ep was a mess, second ep felt like an average episode of the show. One possibly trivial thing I was left wondering: why were Mulder and Scully assigned to investigate the suicide in the first place? It appeared on the surface like a psychotic break and suicide - there was nothing X-Filey about it. So why were the X-Files team sent to look into it?

There was a throwaway line at the start about how they had security clearance to be in the crime scene that local PD didn't, and I expect Mulder appealed to Skinner to get the case for a closer look at the reclusive scientist.

Edit: Did anyone else think it was weird that they got Aaron Douglas to play the security guy for one scene? I know he's not a big star or anything, but it seemed like a conspicuous bit of casting.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 27, 2016

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

There was a throwaway line at the start about how they had security clearance to be in the crime scene that local PD didn't, and I expect Mulder appealed to Skinner to get the case for a closer look at the reclusive scientist.

Thought this was kind of funny because mulder and scully seem like the last people in the world you'd want to give security clearance to, though I don't really know how common it is for FBI agents. I guess they have been kind of ineffectual at actually leaking exposing anything important over the years though

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

joe football posted:

Thought this was kind of funny because mulder and scully seem like the last people in the world you'd want to give security clearance to, though I don't really know how common it is for FBI agents. I guess they have been kind of ineffectual at actually leaking exposing anything important over the years though

I think part of the overall premise is that they have mysterious allies in the administration and government that protect them and send them the weird cases.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jack Gladney posted:

It's not just white people that had conspiracy theories: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Doctors

People lumped henretta lacks in that, her own family was pretty poor and uneducated (even while the cells were making millions) and they initially had very very poor understanding on if henretta herself was alive or even what the hell a "cell" was. Until months later when someone actually sat them down and explained what was happening they honestly thought their mom was chained up somewhere resurrected and being harvested. Which probably IS how it'd go in the x-files world.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

JetsGuy posted:

1) Who the gently caress is watching Supergirl? People who leave their TVs on one channel?

Is Supergirl the newest Cool and Good show that goons can't figure out that people actually like, or something?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Is Supergirl the newest Cool and Good show that goons can't figure out that people actually like, or something?

Supergirl really isn't that bad, I mean it has it's flaws but is plenty watchable

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

I'm not ever reading all that. I actually like the show more just ignoring the core mythos at this point.

The monster of the week stuff is where it shines.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

MisterBibs posted:

I'm sorry that we have different tastes friend. :)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loved the episode where they burned the entire Syndicate in one swoop. That was great. I was like "Oh gently caress, how are they going to get around this!"

They made the show dumb, is what they did. Oh well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I loved the episode where they burned the entire Syndicate in one swoop. That was great. I was like "Oh gently caress, how are they going to get around this!"

Yep that should have been the finale or the penultimate episode.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep that should have been the finale or the penultimate episode.

I treat it that way and stop watching after that episode. The mytharc is complete garbage after that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

So I read through all of this, and on paper at least it almost makes sense. It's just that the execution was so piss-poor that I can't be bothered to give a poo poo about any new mythology stuff knowing how half-assed the old stuff was after the first movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The mythology episodes did have really good character beats and nice connections to weird Americana until about season 4. Then it all just went up its own rear end about oil and monster grey aliens. I much prefer the cheapo greys that were just kids in rubber suits.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I know you all hated Mulder's snark with Obamacare and stuff. But that was dope and totally Mulder. A+ poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Those early greys were way more effective too because they moved in odd ways. That scene where they surround Duane Barry's bed gave me nightmares for years as a kid.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

The mythology episodes did have really good character beats and nice connections to weird Americana until about season 4. Then it all just went up its own rear end about oil and monster grey aliens. I much prefer the cheapo greys that were just kids in rubber suits.

You have to watch out for Jesse Ventura and Alex Trebek

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Spiky Ooze posted:

The monster of the week stuff is where it shines.

Here, this is it. gently caress aliens, give me more worm-men in the sewers.

Count me in with the opinion that episode 2 feels like a good old x-files episode. Episode 1 is... watchable...I guess. I don't know who thought that it would be a good idea to spit out sentences without even taking a breath. The conversation between mulder and the old medic in the park in episode 1 is just loving aweful and the "last time on x-files" synopsis isn't much better.

Also the fact that both Mulder and Scully are now with the FBI again... ? It really felt like it was fanfic or something "SKINNER NEEDS YOU FOR A CRITICAL PROBLEM" dun dun duuun "X-FILES ARE RE-OPENED, WELCOME BACK TO THE EFBEEYE".

Doesn't change that them being back in the FBI, with Mulder in his basement office, isn't god drat awesome. However, the way it was handled leaves much to be desired. This is why we have dream sequences, people! The last few seasons were just a wet dream of Mulder where he boinked Scully and had a kid with her... that was slightly alien (hey, it's Mulder's dream after all).

Batham fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 27, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

CelticPredator posted:

So I could be remembering but the Syndicate was burned byt hte Rebels midway through S6, right? Then like nothing happened until the wacky alien artifact episodes that went S6-S7

S7 had like the one good thing where it told us once and for all what happened to Samantha (given to the Colonists as collateral, experimented on, given back to the Syndicate who experimented on her, she escaped, died). Which actually kinda fit in well enough with the constantly changing stories we got. It at least explained all the Samantha clones we had early on.

Then there's that episode at the end of S7 where Mulder is abducted by the Rebels, Scully is preggo, and I stopped watching because AGENT DOGGETT. I've to this day never seen S8 or S9.

But thinking back, there wasn't much mytharc in S6 and S7 was there

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Those early greys were way more effective too because they moved in odd ways. That scene where they surround Duane Barry's bed gave me nightmares for years as a kid.

Once again proof that real poo poo like models and masks with small CGI tweaking trumps pure CGI all the loving time. The brain is very very good at spotting fake poo poo.

The most jarring example I like to give is to watch DS9 intros when the stopped using the model and went pure CGI.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Nightmares about the X-files? Never.

I distinctly remember watching the episode in the underground lab, where people get infected and the plant explodes out of their throat. I was 6 years old or something at the time and was playing with mechano while watching it at night. My mother went "You better not get bad dreams from watching the X-files!" and guess what happened? I had a god drat nightmare that night and woke up screaming. I dreamt that I was locked up in a house made out of god drat mechano.

So don't talk about X-Files being scary for kids, that poo poo was mild. :colbert:

Batham fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Batham posted:

back in the FBI, with Mulder in his basement office,

And Scully still doesn't have a desk.

• Locked thread