Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

A million years later

"Augh, they still can't do it themselves! Alright boys, bring in the space tractors."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tiggum posted:

I swear this comic exists just to confuse me. :psyduck:

The DABDA stages:

1. Denial (panel 1)
2. Anger (panel 1)
3. Bargaining (panel 2)
4. Depression (panel 3)
5. Acceptance (panel 4)

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

This is literally how my brother ended up in jail for a night.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (January 2, 1951)

Barnaby (June 9, 1942)

Nancy (February 16, 1943)

treasureplane fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 28, 2016

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

One thing I like about Sally Forth is that even though the characters don't age, Ces doesn't take the lazy man's way out in regards to their history. When Sally Forth first started in... what, the 90's? Anyway, it would have made sense for this 90's couple with a preteen kid to have gone to college in the 70's or thereabouts. But now a couple of decades have rolled by and it makes more sense chronologically for the Forths to have gone to college in the 90's. And Ces is cool with making that happen. It's silly how rare that is in comics. Looking at you, Curtis's rap-music-hating dad.
Sally Forth started in the early 80s, so they probably would have been hippies in a flashback back then and it would likely have been awful. But it was a very different strip back then, if I remember right. Marciuliano took it in a different direction than what it was originally. I was just a kid but I think it was more work-focused and office-y.

But gently caress all that, because the reason I'm quoting this is with the way these two strips lined up I pictured a Sally Forth flashback featuring a love triangle with Ted and Namor battling for Sally in college and drat wouldn't that be awesome?

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"Vee haff vays of making you pregnant."

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 26, 2016

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (February 16, 1943)

Wait a dang minute. I posted these last year.

The price hasn't gone up in 6 years. nice.

If Sluggo gets a boat ride out of this - we know the fix is in.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Slammy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 26, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man, The Simpsons was popular in spite of Matt Groening and not because of him huh?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Calaveron posted:

Man, The Simpsons was popular in spite of Matt Groening and not because of him huh?

Scoff if you like, but the producers of the Tracey Ullman Show originally wanted animated shorts based on Life In Hell. Matt G was afraid of losing the rights to his characters so he made up The Simpsons as a plan B.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Slammy posted:

Wait a dang minute. I posted these last year.

I remember those strips! Surprisingly, looking ahead, it doesn't look like Bushmiller repeats any of the gags you posted. Maybe he had a surplus from the first go-around and didn't want them to go to waste?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ernie Bushmiller was never an artist, he was a craftsman. He didn't write the best jokes, but he put them together efficiently and with as little waste as possible.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Life in Hell owns.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Aardmania, Darthemend. I don't know why but for some reason your images keep coming up as broken image file icons.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Mr. Squishy posted:

Life in Hell owns.

Particularly so in the pre-Simpsons years. He got a little too happy and settled after that and the comic suffers for it.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

EasyEW posted:

Scoff if you like, but the producers of the Tracey Ullman Show originally wanted animated shorts based on Life In Hell. Matt G was afraid of losing the rights to his characters so he made up The Simpsons as a plan B.

To elaborate, Matt Groening scribbled out the Simpsons while waiting outside James L. Brook's office. He created the concept in about 10 minutes, unwittingly creating a multi-million dollar franchise.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Republican Vampire posted:

Had they met their ancestors at this point, or was that later?

I think they meet him later.

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

Mods, for the love of god make this the D&D background.

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mr. Brisk!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Hell yeah. This story rules.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set peeks into the future.

Working Daze is just meaningless words.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix outsources.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (November 27, 1928)

Yeah, we'll be getting a loaf from the bakery today.

Pogo (January 28, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (February 18-21, 1954)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Sally Forth started in the early 80s, so they probably would have been hippies in a flashback back then and it would likely have been awful. But it was a very different strip back then, if I remember right. Marciuliano took it in a different direction than what it was originally. I was just a kid but I think it was more work-focused and office-y.

But gently caress all that, because the reason I'm quoting this is with the way these two strips lined up I pictured a Sally Forth flashback featuring a love triangle with Ted and Namor battling for Sally in college and drat wouldn't that be awesome?

What I recall of Sally Forth in the late 90's was that it was very boring and stupid. It was my morning comics hate read before I learned to love Sal and hate Luann. As far as I know, Ces was not yet writing the strip in the late 90's. My tastes were different then than they are now, so maybe it was great. But I'm pretty sure it was awful.

quote:

Mary Worth

That old lady is cold as ice.

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

"Vee haff vays of making you pregnant."

June, look at your baby. June! Look at your baby! JUNE FOR GOD'S SAKE YOU ARE A NURSE LOOK AT YOUR BLUE BABY!

I think the colorist thought she was nursing a pile of laundry or something.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

It's like Namor's parade of ladies who dumped him.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

:smith:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

Peanuts (January 29, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 29-30, 1928)

Thimble Theater (August 15, 1929)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

What I recall of Sally Forth in the late 90's was that it was very boring and stupid. It was my morning comics hate read before I learned to love Sal and hate Luann. As far as I know, Ces was not yet writing the strip in the late 90's. My tastes were different then than they are now, so maybe it was great. But I'm pretty sure it was awful.

Imagine the most boring "office gags" strip you can, mashed together with the blandest "family humor" strip. That's basically pre-Ces Sally Forth.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wait, I thought Namor don't date redheads?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

It's not just Piranha Club that gets horribly racist with witch doctors, Mother Goose & Grimm sometimes does too.

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Julet Esqu posted:

June, look at your baby. June! Look at your baby! JUNE FOR GOD'S SAKE YOU ARE A NURSE LOOK AT YOUR BLUE BABY!

I think the colorist thought she was nursing a pile of laundry or something.

To be absolutely fair, I've seen babies wearing knit caps a lot.

quote:

Luann

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

We're well aware that's what you thought, Mark.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Scary Gary

Intelligent Life

Retail

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Really hoping that when Young Kit gets to the Himalayas, it's revealed that the monks don't really care if he's reincarnated or not, but that he took the time to study.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

The MSJ posted:

Wait, I thought Namor don't date redheads?

A redhead gave him ich?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Get hosed, Lester.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

"I thought she meant the kind on four legs! Y'know, the kind that often hunts in the evening. They're not really a threat to adult humans but you should be careful about pet cats or dogs if you live around the four legged kind. That's all I know, I read it in Zoobooks."

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

My turn to be confused. How does it work that he would remember everything about the teachers and the city, but needs to re-learn everything they supposedly already taught him?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

RandomPauI posted:

Aardmania, Darthemend. I don't know why but for some reason your images keep coming up as broken image file icons.
Which day of my posts is the last one with functioning images?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Because he's an idiot westerner they're only humouring for a share of the immense wealth he brings from the treasure cave. They might get back some of the priceless artefacts the last guy stole!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

RandomPauI posted:

This happens to me, but only on the Awful app on iOS - clicking the little box usually brings up the image. Sometimes a long-press is needed. Not sure why that happens, but images from imgur seem to be OK, others, not so much.

For awhile the app was mixing up images. I thought Mary Worth was dating Webb behind LuAnn's back!

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Feiffer (click for big)

Khrushchev toured the U.S. in 1959. http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/khrushchev-ends-trip-to-the-united-states

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set just wants to get to the point.

Working Daze refers to those things you loved as a child! Remember those? Weren't they great?

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix collapses the waveform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze refers to those things you loved as a child! Remember those? Weren't they great?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M67E9mpwBpM&t=13s

• Locked thread