Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fenom posted:

How good is it for note-taking on a PDF or powerpoint? I'm on the fence about buying one to not have to print out 500 pages every semester and carry around 10lbs of notebooks.

This is exactly what I use my mini for and it's perfect, in my opinion. The first benefit is standing in the train with a smart case reading it one handed like a magazine for a 20 minute train ride. But I don't need a ton of space to draw equations or graphs in margins and stuff and my most frequent use case is like reading a PDF in Goodreader, highlighting it and typing a note like "cf. Sprod 2012" or "relativism" and then pulling it up with the annotation view when I need a reference or want to talk about it with someone smarter than me. I used a Wacom bamboo stylus and penultimate for lecture notes because I use Evernote for all my annotated bibliographies and it runs a really good OCR on your chicken scratches and indexes them.

For handwritten notes that way I don't want a big 12 inch sheet of paper, I want something that fits on my 7 inch desk along with my coffee mug, you know? Even a 13" MBA is too big for some of those seminar desks.

I recommend just going to a store and playing with one, see if it's what you want, but it's not like it does notes "better" than anything else, it depends what kind of notes and how you use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I've used an iPad mini for all of my college career and it's been absolutely perfect.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Yeah I finished school just a little before all the tablet revolutions happened and I'm so insanely jealous. Would've given my eye teeth for an iPad pro.

Regarding development, I've been using c9.io a lot lately. I love it.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was actually curious if anyone has put a decent amount of time into programming/development on the Pro. Does it work out? Seems like an interesting use and is a lot more possible with the current resolution and the split screen could (maybe) be helpful.

We use it for software development. We have an in-house c# compiler that runs on the pro (and both airs, but everything is so much more comfortable on the pro) and can actually compile and then run apps on the same iPad. Apple said we can't sell it (we really tried), and before submission we still have to run apps at least once through xCode. But I can do almost my entire job through the Pro now, whereas before I was tied to a Mac and a desk.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I was pretty unimpressed at first with the Pro but now I'm seriously considering buying one. I proofread PDFs at my job and the rest of the time I do digital art so...

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

I was pretty unimpressed at first with the Pro but now I'm seriously considering buying one. I proofread PDFs at my job and the rest of the time I do digital art so...

If you're looking to buy one and just happen to have a Sam's club membership they are like $897 for the 128gb model, cheapest I've seen so far.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Fenom posted:

If you're looking to buy one and just happen to have a Sam's club membership they are like $897 for the 128gb model, cheapest I've seen so far.
Thanks! I don't have a Sam's Club membership but I do have Costco and it's the same price! Wheeee!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I Am Crake posted:

But the Pencil won't reach it's full potential until you can actually go into a store and buy one.

Fixed. I am very frustrated with this :[

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Are there any 3rd party Pencil type things? My wife does a lot of drawing and I have a pro but she didn't like the shape/feel of the actual Pencil, just wondering if any other companies have come out with one yet that interfaces the same way as the pencil (not just like a generic ipad stylus) but just has a different shape, or if that's not going to be possible.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

Fixed. I am very frustrated with this :[

Currently available on bestbuy.com with free ship to store. Took like 4 days when I bought one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

Are there any 3rd party Pencil type things? My wife does a lot of drawing and I have a pro but she didn't like the shape/feel of the actual Pencil, just wondering if any other companies have come out with one yet that interfaces the same way as the pencil (not just like a generic ipad stylus) but just has a different shape, or if that's not going to be possible.

You mean like a sleeve or different grips or something?

The only one I'm aware of is the Moxiware PencilMagnet, which is a sleeve with a magnet to attach the Pencil to a Smart Cover. The sleeve is more to house the magnet and only adds a couple mm of thickness to the barrel.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I meant like a totally separate device that isn't $100, but I guess some sort of grip might work too.

I guess I wasn't sure so I was asking, like, is the technology in the Pencil not able to be copied? Like, is there some secret poo poo in it such that there aren't gonna be any 3rd party ones that can do the same thing?

I wasn't really sure if the tech developments were in the Pro itself or the Pencil

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

I meant like a totally separate device that isn't $100, but I guess some sort of grip might work too.

I guess I wasn't sure so I was asking, like, is the technology in the Pencil not able to be copied? Like, is there some secret poo poo in it such that there aren't gonna be any 3rd party ones that can do the same thing?

I wasn't really sure if the tech developments were in the Pro itself or the Pencil

The pencil requires stuff in the iPad Pro that other companies don't have the secret recipe for. The pencil itself has pressure sensors (common in BT stylus) and accelerometers for angle measurement. It also does bunch more samples per second than Adonit or Wacom can do on the iPad with the publicly available BT API. Last I tested my Adonit Touch PP, it wouldn't work correctly with the Pro.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 22, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ok that's what I wasn't sure about, thanks!

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I went from a surface pro 2 to an iPad pro for taking notes in class and doing digital art. The note taking experience is roughly the same as the surface, though Onenote works better on the surface, in my opinion. The pencil on the iPad is vastly superior to the stylus on the surface, however, and that makes up for the more limited Onenote functionality. Digital art is all around better on the iPad Pro due to the pencil. Hands down.

Also, anyone have any recommendations for a simple cover/sleeve for the iPad pro? Not sure I want to drop the coin for a Smart Cover.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

App13 posted:

I went from a surface pro 2 to an iPad pro for taking notes in class and doing digital art. The note taking experience is roughly the same as the surface, though Onenote works better on the surface, in my opinion. The pencil on the iPad is vastly superior to the stylus on the surface, however, and that makes up for the more limited Onenote functionality. Digital art is all around better on the iPad Pro due to the pencil. Hands down.

Also, anyone have any recommendations for a simple cover/sleeve for the iPad pro? Not sure I want to drop the coin for a Smart Cover.

I got a Smart Cover for my pro because I had a gift certificate and brought the price down, and I'm actually quite happy with it. Very strong magnets, doesn't add a bunch of weight. Way better than the one on my wife's iPad which I wasn't impressed with.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Taima posted:

I got it because it does everything I need a laptop to do. I'm a web developer; I would never actually code on a laptop and have no idea why anyone would. I code on a Dell U3415w which is incredible for productivity.

Big screen is nice. It's not always an option nor do I always feel like being chained to my desk. I do varying types of development work and as long as the resolution on the laptop is nice enough (have a surface pro 3 and 15 inch retina) it's totally adequate.

Honestly the only time I feel hindered by a laptop is trying to build a presentation. Development work can easily be alt tabbed as needed or even still done with side by side windows/emulators. Especially in web development. I feel like that's the time I need the least amount of screen.

But this is an iPad thread. So in the spirit of contributing iPad opinions:

I have an Air1. Wish I had a mini3 and that then pencil worked across all iPads. I'd be surprised if it doesn't. I can't imagine Apple would hate selling $100 accessories to all iPad owners. Seems like a great idea for schools.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Is the official smart cover for the Mini 4 worth a drat?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ManSedan posted:

Is the official smart cover for the Mini 4 worth a drat?

Yeah.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

+1

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

How do you folks hold the iPad Pro while sitting on the couch?

I feel like I need to rest it at an angle on a pillow, but the angle is never quite right. The iPad Air was light enough to hold, but the Pro is just a tad bit heavy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What the gently caress do I keep hitting while typing, that automatically selects all my text or the whole line and without noticing it, I type over all my text? This is pissing me off so much.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vinlaen posted:

How do you folks hold the iPad Pro while sitting on the couch?

I feel like I need to rest it at an angle on a pillow, but the angle is never quite right. The iPad Air was light enough to hold, but the Pro is just a tad bit heavy.

I hold it and rest the bottom on my stomach like a proper goon.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

You're an animal.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What the gently caress do I keep hitting while typing, that automatically selects all my text or the whole line and without noticing it, I type over all my text? This is pissing me off so much.
It's the two finger trackpad/text selection thing, if you type fast enough it fucks up and thinks you're doing some big swipe selection or something.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They announced a new ipad air in march to no one's surprise. If it comes out with markedly better speakers and stuff, can't decide if I'll sell my pro and go back to the normal size. I keep thinking I'll get used to how big the pro is but I just keep finding it awkward to use in bed sometimes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Short of mind blowing features I won't be getting rid of my Air any time soon. poo poo is still fast and still good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Stefan Prodan posted:

They announced a new ipad air in march to no one's surprise. If it comes out with markedly better speakers and stuff, can't decide if I'll sell my pro and go back to the normal size. I keep thinking I'll get used to how big the pro is but I just keep finding it awkward to use in bed sometimes.

This is perhaps a ridiculous suggestion, but I think the Mini is the perfect size for bedtime use, maybe get one of those for the bedroom? (who have i become that i am seriously suggesting a bedroom ipad jesus christ)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mediaphage posted:

This is perhaps a ridiculous suggestion, but I think the Mini is the perfect size for bedtime use, maybe get one of those for the bedroom? (who have i become that i am seriously suggesting a bedroom ipad jesus christ)

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing for a while. I use the Pro a *lot* for work. Mostly doing "napkin" design in meetings, PDF annotations, and note keeping. It's so much easier than carrying my laptop around at work.

But its a bit much for home use. I dig the idea of the mini for reading books, checking personal email, IM, etc...

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean I used the pro in the store and I was like "nah this is fine it's not as big as I thought" but using it in bed sometimes it just feels like a tad bit too big, like the words are actually too big and everything when I'm reading Awful app and that sort of thing and it's sort of awkward to hold up and scroll so I dunno. I don't really need it for any work apps, to be honest the main reason I got the pro was the bigger screen and the better speakers. The speakers were a big thing because my wife and I tend to watch a thing before bed a lot and I heard the speakers on the air were worse than the Ipad 3 I have because of the thinness and that the ones on the Pro were amazing so I was pretty into that. If they manage to make the new air have good speakers though I might switch back to the normal size.

At least since it's an Apple product I probably won't lose a lot reselling it if I do, I still have the box and all.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I just switched from an Air 2 to a Pro this week and would be a little annoyed to see an Air 3 come out in two months with specs that leapfrog those of the Pro and/or incorporate most of its features.. but 2 days into using the Pro it is everything I always wanted from an iPad in terms of being able to read programming ebooks in PDF format and full-page digital comics. Other specs be damned, I wouldn't ever go back to a smaller iPad now just because of those two uses.

I am feeling the pain of the Pro accessory market being pretty limited, though, and hope that a good keyboard cover along the lines of the Logitech Ultrathin comes out in the next few months; I'm still struggling to figure out the best way to type on the Pro and am currently resorting to setting it on my lap in landscape and typing on it as if it were a normal keyboard, which is sort of ok but not ideal.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 28, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you don't have a BT keyboard you should always loudly dictate everything.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

japtor posted:

It's the two finger trackpad/text selection thing, if you type fast enough it fucks up and thinks you're doing some big swipe selection or something.

Ugh it is, and it always activate when I don't want it to and erases every loving thing I just got done typing. I'm constantly shaking my iPad to undo it. gently caress.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

If there is an air 3 with 4 speakers, pencil and smart connector support, absolutely upgrading. Fiancé would approve because she would then get my air

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vintimus Prime posted:

If there is an air 3 with 4 speakers, pencil and smart connector support, absolutely upgrading. Fiancé would approve because she would then get my air

According to a Macworld UK article I read (not in UK, just came up in google first), no digitizer improvements (it's has a "low" likelihood of happening). It doesn't look like they're putting the Pro digitizer in it. I'm gonna guess they're not going to add the smart connector either. Part of it may be because they want to differentiate the Pro from the Air, and part of it may be because of how insanely thin this will be and there's no room for that tech. It's supposed to be thinner than the Air 2 (using the same grade aluminum as the iPhone 6S).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
My mini 2 is still good and fast. I think Apple really dropped the ball because at this rate I'm not buying another iPad for like four more years haha.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Make sure you don't use a Pro then, because it changed my whole perception of what iOS should be like. It's just so buttery smooth at literally everything.

I immediately gave my Air to my girlfriend because it chugs in comparison. But it's all perception; if you asked me 2 weeks ago how fast the Air was, I would have said it was pretty zippy. But the Pro is just a whole other level.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ugh it is, and it always activate when I don't want it to and erases every loving thing I just got done typing. I'm constantly shaking my iPad to undo it. gently caress.
I'm guessing you're joking, but if you're not, there's undo right on the numbers keyboard :ssh: (or keyboard shortcuts bar but I leave that hidden for extra space)

tuyop posted:

My mini 2 is still good and fast. I think Apple really dropped the ball because at this rate I'm not buying another iPad for like four more years haha.
The only reasons I upgraded from it (to mini 4) were split screen, more RAM, and just needed more space (32->64).

I'll upgrade again for Pencil support whenever that happens :smithicide:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I do this a lot too. Minus the shaking to undo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Make sure you don't use a Pro then, because it changed my whole perception of what iOS should be like. It's just so buttery smooth at literally everything.

I immediately gave my Air to my girlfriend because it chugs in comparison. But it's all perception; if you asked me 2 weeks ago how fast the Air was, I would have said it was pretty zippy. But the Pro is just a whole other level.

Yeah I'm enjoying the speed but if the new air 3 is anywhere near as fast, then...