Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Also, don't worry about disregarding some of that site's "oh you MUST do this thing" recommendations. It's not like everyone has a cast iron grill pan. Bruschetta is pretty easy to do with simple tools and it's only got like four ingredients, plus the bread. Reading that again it was all OH NOOOO MY GRILLED TOASTS but w/e just make tasty food on toast.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
A long, long time ago, there used to be a thread (or post?) that gave a detailed list of staple ingredients in the kitchen and basically how to get started learning to cook. Does anyone know what happened to that thread/post?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Whateley posted:

I mean they're good but there's like zero meat on them, and what there is you have to pick. If you do it in the crock pot, you'll spend an hour sorting out scraps. What do you want it for? Can you just roast a whole chicken?

Crap. My co-op sells them for super cheap and I was hoping I found a cheap source of chicken meat. Well I ordered a couple of them so we'll see how it goes

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Please help me with my burger dilemma. I can grill a burger with no problems, but it's winter time so stovetop is the way I have to go. So tonight's exercise: 8 oz ground dry aged prime beef, formed into a patty 3/4" thick cooked in a seasoned carbon steel skillet.

Problem #1: smoke. I heated the oil in the skillet till just smoking before putting the patty in. My range hood vents to the outside, but still wasn't really up to the task of properly venting the smoke. The smoke alarm didn't go off, but I think it was a near thing.

Problem #2: I cooked the patty for 8 minutes, 4 on a side, and it got a GREAT crust, but when I bit into it, it was raw. Not just undercooked, but raw.

So how do I balance temp/cooking time so that I get a burger that isn't burnt on the outside, or raw on the inside (I don't mind say medium), and not setting off the smoke alarms?

Or should I give up till spring? :ohdear:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LongSack posted:

Please help me with my burger dilemma. I can grill a burger with no problems, but it's winter time so stovetop is the way I have to go. So tonight's exercise: 8 oz ground dry aged prime beef, formed into a patty 3/4" thick cooked in a seasoned carbon steel skillet.

Problem #1: smoke. I heated the oil in the skillet till just smoking before putting the patty in. My range hood vents to the outside, but still wasn't really up to the task of properly venting the smoke. The smoke alarm didn't go off, but I think it was a near thing.

Problem #2: I cooked the patty for 8 minutes, 4 on a side, and it got a GREAT crust, but when I bit into it, it was raw. Not just undercooked, but raw.

So how do I balance temp/cooking time so that I get a burger that isn't burnt on the outside, or raw on the inside (I don't mind say medium), and not setting off the smoke alarms?

Just throwing out ideas:

- Cook it at a lower temperature, heating oil until just smoking isn't ideal for a big slab of ground beef. A longer slower fry will still develop the crusty outside but give the inside time to cook through.
- Are you using super-lean beef? You shouldn't really need any oil with ground beef.
- Covering the pan can help. It's not exactly steam-cooking, but it keeps a lot of hot moisture in which in turn helps it cook through.
- Resting is important but a. you said you can grill a burger so you probably already know that and b. if it's bloody-raw resting doesn't really help it cook any more.

Mostly I think just cooking lower and slower will solve the raw/smoke issues. It's almost a thread cliche but cast iron is really good for burgin'.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

hogmartin posted:

Just throwing out ideas:

- Cook it at a lower temperature, heating oil until just smoking isn't ideal for a big slab of ground beef. A longer slower fry will still develop the crusty outside but give the inside time to cook through.
- Are you using super-lean beef? You shouldn't really need any oil with ground beef.
- Covering the pan can help. It's not exactly steam-cooking, but it keeps a lot of hot moisture in which in turn helps it cook through.
- Resting is important but a. you said you can grill a burger so you probably already know that and b. if it's bloody-raw resting doesn't really help it cook any more.

Mostly I think just cooking lower and slower will solve the raw/smoke issues. It's almost a thread cliche but cast iron is really good for burgin'.

Carbon steel is similar to cast iron, except it is lighter and the cooking surface is smoother than the cast iron I've seen lately. The beef is not lean, probably like 80/20. I guess lower and longer is the way to go then. Thanks.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LongSack posted:

Carbon steel is similar to cast iron, except it is lighter and the cooking surface is smoother than the cast iron I've seen lately. The beef is not lean, probably like 80/20. I guess lower and longer is the way to go then. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with carbon steel except for my wok which would not be my first choice for burgers but I imagine you know your gear :)

I'm sure you'll get it worked out. The thickness seems about perfect, just give them more time and less heat, I think.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

hogmartin posted:

I'm not familiar with carbon steel except for my wok which would not be my first choice for burgers but I imagine you know your gear :)

I'm sure you'll get it worked out. The thickness seems about perfect, just give them more time and less heat, I think.

FWIW, here is the pan I have (also 10-1/4")

http://www.amazon.com/Matfer-Bourgeat-062004-Frying-11-Inch/dp/B000KENOOU

E: it's the 8-5/8" version

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Crap. My co-op sells them for super cheap and I was hoping I found a cheap source of chicken meat. Well I ordered a couple of them so we'll see how it goes
Yeah, it's cheap because it's like 95% bone. Like someone else said, fridge them to make stock later. When you go pick them up, buy a whole chicken and roast that. That'll give you a cheap source of meat you can reuse for lunches or whatever, and the carcass can also go into the stock.

If you insist on getting the meat off the backs, at least roast them. If you do them in the crock lot and the bones crumble, I cannot overstate what a tedious pain in the rear end it'll be to sort meat scraps and vertebrae.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Can someone help me improve upon my nacho dip?

12 ounces shredded chuck steak
12 ounces hormell hot beanless chili
4 drops liquid smoke (YES I KNOW)
3 table spoons chili lime chulo sauce

It's pretty damned tasty but feels like it is missing something.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thunder Moose posted:

What do you call cheese that isn't yours?

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Mr. Wookums posted:

What do you call cheese that isn't yours?

DELICIOUS.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Thunder Moose posted:

Why are you embarrassed about liquid smoke?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LongSack posted:

I do medium-high on a gas stove with 80/20, on cast iron, using kenji's smashburger method.

Personally I prefer 2 thinner patties compared to a thicker patty. More crust = better

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

LongSack posted:

Let your meat come to room temp before cooking it. Season it well only on the outside just before cooking. (Salt helps crusting)

Lower temp and don't use oil; use butter toward the end... just like a good steak. (Helps the crust)

Thinner-ish patty with a good thumb-indentation in the middle. (Helps with there not being a clump of raw in the middle)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

I do medium-high on a gas stove with 80/20, on cast iron, using kenji's smashburger method.

Personally I prefer 2 thinner patties compared to a thicker patty. More crust = better

There are methods of doing thin patties on a griddle with water. I wonder if you could do that in a cast iron.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think you need cheese, maybe not even nacho cheese, and onion. Anchovies make everything better too, but that's just me.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Cilantro maybe? Some people are genetically unable to tolerate the taste so maybe not.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

KillHour posted:

Finally got around to trying out that hunk of aluminum. Here's how it did:

Can I get your recipe for that crust?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Thunder Moose posted:

Cumin. I actually don't like cumin much for some reason, but I feel like it's missing if it's not right up front in a lot of tex mex stuff.
I second cilantro as well. If you are one of those people that can't deal with cilantro, maybe some chopped green onions or scallions.
Smoked (Hungarian or Spanish) Paprika?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A recipe calls for 4oz of 'green chiles'; just pick one that caters to the heat level I'm looking for in the dish?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Its probably looking for one of these cans:

which come in a few brands and different levels of spice

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

hogmartin posted:

Can I get your recipe for that crust?

Sure.

Ingredients:
1 car
1 US dollar (plus tax)
Gasoline as needed.

Step 1: Go to Bruno's pizza in Amherst, NY
Step 2: Buy raw dough balls for $1 apiece.
Step 3: There is no step 3.

Sorry.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How do you season pork chops/tenderloin? Apparently that's another good source of lean protein, so I might just buy that since it's generally cheaper than chicken breasts.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you season pork chops/tenderloin? Apparently that's another good source of lean protein, so I might just buy that since it's generally cheaper than chicken breasts.

Gonna go with teriyaki again here. I'm sure you'll get tons of other options but that one's quick and tasty.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 27, 2016

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Thunder Moose posted:

I'm not sure exactly what you're going for, but if I go into a taqueria, supermercado, or whatever and order a plate of nachos I'd be really loving surprised if it didn't at minimum have some cheese, refried beans, guac, crema (or sour cream), pico, and some flavour of hotter stuff (either as a salsa or just sliced pickled peppers).

I mean it's pretty obvious that you're looking for something closer to the topping for Frito pie or a chili dog, and that's cool and I'm not going to try to talk you out of it, but when I think nachos the meat is just a small fraction of the whole exercise.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

For day to day? Salt, pepper, sear, done. If I'm trying to tart it up I'll smoke a pork tenderloin with a simple rub and then use a finishing sauce of habanero jelly and maple syrup, or grill a chop with some kind of citrus sauce or whatever, but if you're fixing them for the ostensible health benefits that would kinda defeat the purpose.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I got a hand-me-down Lodge dutch oven and I'd like to use it. Preferably something that will produce a good amount of leftovers that'll keep for a bit since I mostly cook for my lonely self. I've flipped through a couple cook books and Cook's but nothing is jumping out at me. I eat pretty much anything and I don't mind something labor intensive or higher skill level. I've made beef stew, chili, and risotto recently so probably not one of those. I've been hankering for Indian recently maybe something along those lines? Help me write my grocery list!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Pontius Pilate posted:

I got a hand-me-down Lodge dutch oven and I'd like to use it. Preferably something that will produce a good amount of leftovers that'll keep for a bit since I mostly cook for my lonely self. I've flipped through a couple cook books and Cook's but nothing is jumping out at me. I eat pretty much anything and I don't mind something labor intensive or higher skill level. I've made beef stew, chili, and risotto recently so probably not one of those. I've been hankering for Indian recently maybe something along those lines? Help me write my grocery list!

Cassoulet? Chicken chili verde? If you're set on Indian, maybe dal makhani or saag paneer?

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 28, 2016

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

Chicken stew.

Also, pork tenderloin guy, this is the best way to prepare pork tenderloin I've ever had:
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11897-twice-cooked-pork-tenderloin

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pontius Pilate posted:

I got a hand-me-down Lodge dutch oven and I'd like to use it.

Try no-knead bread. I'm actually in the market now for a dutch oven.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Try no-knead bread. I'm actually in the market now for a dutch oven.

Sam's club has an enameled Tramontina one for like $40. Even if it's complete rear end, it's a heavy pot with enamel in it, how bad could they mess it up? Plus you could buy 8 of them for the price of one Le Creuset.

Man I really want spinach cassoulet now :sweatdrop:

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

Chicken curry? This recipe is delicious: http://www.indiansimmer.com/2013/04/chicken-curry.html

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

hogmartin posted:

Sam's club has an enameled Tramontina one for like $40. Even if it's complete rear end, it's a heavy pot with enamel in it, how bad could they mess it up? Plus you could buy 8 of them for the price of one Le Creuset.

Man I really want spinach cassoulet now :sweatdrop:

Welp, know where i'm going once dad comes back with the Sams Club card. Thanks!

edit: Unless I can get my cast iron guy at the flea market to give me a deal. He's crusty as she poo poo he sells, but he knows it's good. He's got a no-name 3qt with a lid for 85, gotta needle him down...

\/\/\/But I like cast iron but that's so cuuutteeeeeee\/\/\\

editedit: IT COMES IN TEAL?!? loving done.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 28, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Welp, know where i'm going once dad comes back with the Sams Club card. Thanks!

edit: Unless I can get my cast iron guy at the flea market to give me a deal. He's crusty as she poo poo he sells, but he knows it's good. He's got a no-name 3qt with a lid for 85, gotta needle him down...

Here's the one I mean:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/6-5q-dutch-oven-red-in-club-737160/prod18670053.ip

Suspect Bucket posted:

editedit: IT COMES IN TEAL?!? loving done.

Right? This guy knows what's up.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 28, 2016

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

hogmartin posted:

Cassoulet? Chicken chili verde? If you're set on Indian, maybe dal makhani or saag paneer?

Cassoulet won the day. I'm using this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html but my poo poo Jewel didn't have dried cannellini beans so I got some canned ones and some dried great northern beans. I'm afraid the canned ones might add too much salt and/or becomes too mushy but I would prefer the larger cannelinis. Any bean experts willing to give me guidance?

Thanks, this looks great and I will definitely be saving it.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
double post food is good.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

This sounds nice, do you think I could get away with normal cardamom pods instead of black ones?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thunder Moose posted:

Probably already been said but paprika, garlic and cumin would help here.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Thank you for ALL the replies - to elaborate the nachos already have cheese on them - the recipe was just for a dip but I will try some cumin next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Does anyone have a go-to recipe for pizza dough? Something that looks like KillHour's, crusty and chewy with bubbles. I am not located near Amherst NY unfortunately.