Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Geostomp posted:

It's official, this is the best quote for summarizing this entire pathetic "movement". A bunch of grown men and women with delusions of grandeur playing pretend army over imagined slights like overgrown children. I hope that jail is especially hard on all of them.

I hope the acrimony that they face is pitiless, and they have to face their families they have let down, and after a period of making face growing up children internalise the humiliation and resent their fathers/mothers involved and live diametrically different lives in federal government jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Um, so this guy's account is pretty plausible, but I have no idea how true it could possibly be. Somehow I doubt he's the ONLY one who got released from the arrests last night.

https://www.facebook.com/mark.mcconnell.127648/videos/10154667085229762?_rdr=p

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Crain posted:

So what's going on now?
Looks like there are still ~6 holdouts at the place, with possibly another group of 6 or less at the entrance.

I think the FBI is supposed to have some announcement either in a few minutes or an hour from now (I am not good at time zones).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Crain posted:

So what's going on now?

FBI has set siege to the refuge and are waiting out the last 5-6 crazies remaining. By all accounts all the women and children and the (comparatively) reasonable men got the gently caress out when they heard 150 FBI vehicles were en route.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Did you really just post your own fictional version of what could have happened and then accused someone else of pretending?

hahahahahah sure buddy, keep on going, you were clearly right everytime you used the word "Waco" sarcastically

they're doing somethign with a backhoe on stream, while a crazy person yells at us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72MJLxSTiGM&hd=1

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Where's the cutoff point for incitement?

quote:

In response to the arrests, Operation Mutual Defense, a network of militias, issued a call for groups to support those remaining at the refuge, The Oregonian reported.

“You have an obligation to proceed to the Harney County Resource Center immediately,” OMD board member Gary Hunt wrote in a post. “If you fail to arrive, you will demonstrate by your own actions that your previous statements to defend life, liberty and property were false.”

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Look, I won't rain on anyone's parade but imo, I credit the move more than the wait, and still don't think it needed to last that long.

Move goalposts all you want.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Oh man I want to see this guy go to jail so bad

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah those people who wanted the fbi to do something about it, throw up roadblocks and tell everyone to get the gently caress out sure look foolish now that the fbi did something, threw up roadblocks and told everyone to get the gently caress out.

not nearly as foolish as you do sitting here still trying to argue that you were right all along.

edit: gently caress this thread is moving fast

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Prester Jane posted:

That only worked because they got virtually all the leadership in one swoop. If leadership had been at the refuge when the FBI moved in things would have gone very differently. As it stands leadership did attack the first chance they got, so passively waiting turned out to be the best strategy. From reports on the stream it seems like the town was on lock down while poo poo was going down and that there have been a number of people that have tried to get into the refuge as reinforcements.

No one was arguing that nothing should ever be done, those of us urging patience were generally doing so because we expected any confrontaction at all to become violent. (Which so far has been borne out.) The FBI layed a perfect trap for leadership and is still offering the militants a chance to leave peacefully.

While I can certainly agree with this perspective, and while I'm happy things played out the way they have, "waiting for your enemy to be complete dumbasses and expose themselves" is generally a poor strategy outside of videogames.

I mean it totally worked, and the 'only' cost was a community terrorized for a month and some property damage, but it could have also gone the way of "bundy bunch shoots locals" just as easily.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

fade5 posted:

Same, I'm glad the FBI had a great plan after all. And I'll be happy if I'm just worrying about nothing and the rest of the guys surrender either peacefully or after getting flash-banged/tazed/etc.

About the same here really. Though a lot of my frustration was due to the way things went at the Bundy ranch; had these guys not gotten off with nothing in the past, the FBI's seeming to do nothing wouldn't have been quite so worrisome to me. Probably still somewhat frustrating, but without the precedent not nearly as bad.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
What are they doing? Scorched earth tactics to deny archaeological sites to the bolshevik feds?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Look, I won't rain on anyone's parade but imo, I credit the move more than the wait, and still don't think it needed to last that long.

Your smug insistence that the FBI was a doing nothing and b incompetent was proven to be foolish, why are you doubling down?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

theflyingorc posted:

hahahahahah sure buddy, keep on going, you were clearly right everytime you used the word "Waco" sarcastically

Its pretty telling that you're so enthused about winning the thread or something.

I said move on them, this isn't waco. They moved, its not waco.

Spin it however you need.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'm glad the FBI ended these bad men who make a mockery of the real injustices in America.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

I'm glad the FBI ended these bad men who make a mockery of the real injustices in America.

This is what really gets me.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Are you seriously trying to say that waiting for the militia to put nearly all their leaders in a couple of unprotected cars and drive them off the refuge had no effect on their success?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Roland Jones posted:

About the same here really. Though a lot of my frustration was due to the way things went at the Bundy ranch; had these guys not gotten off with nothing in the past, the FBI's seeming to do nothing wouldn't have been quite so worrisome to me. Probably still somewhat frustrating, but without the precedent not nearly as bad.
This too. The way the previous standoff fizzled without the hammer being brought down made me leery, and I was worried that was going to happen again.

OAquinas posted:

While I can certainly agree with this perspective, and while I'm happy things played out the way they have, "waiting for your enemy to be complete dumbasses and expose themselves" is generally a poor strategy outside of videogames.

I mean it totally worked, and the 'only' cost was a community terrorized for a month and some property damage, but it could have also gone the way of "bundy bunch shoots locals" just as easily.
Relying on incompetence is great, but you need to be sure the idiots are actually incompetent. As such, that strategy also tends to work in the Middle East.:v:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

theflyingorc posted:

they're doing somethign with a backhoe on stream, while a crazy person yells at us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72MJLxSTiGM&hd=1

lol scroll back to the start of that video: Dude who comes over saying "The media has been told to leave THAT MEANS THEYRE KILLING ALL OF US" has a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-thirty rifle. Someone last night mentioned how these guys skimp on all of their gear but the gun. This dude bought an overpriced M-14 variant and probably put a cheap NC-Star or BSA scope on top.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Its pretty telling that you're so enthused about winning the thread or something.

I said move on them, this isn't waco. They moved, its not waco.

Spin it however you need.

oh no, i'm glad to be vindicated, i guess that's a moral failing of mine

My point of view has been, at all times, "don't raid the compound full of people". Never more, never less. I specifically avoided taking a stance on the "blockade" issue because while my instincts said "yeah siege 'em", I assumed that the FBI knew what they were doing more than I, an internet poster, do.

And then the FBI did a really good job, what a surprise!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

A very important detail of all this is the most major charge being used against them is the impeding a government agent with the threat of force. It needs to be hammered into their chickenshit souls that the people they're trying to antagonize so they can have their idiotic "patriot" LARP are real people and threatening them with violence is no different than any other terrorism.

I hope they get the full six years plus more charges.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lmao they're taking potshots at an airplane

drone?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Jarmak posted:

not nearly as foolish as you do sitting here still trying to argue that you were right all along.

I encourage anyone and everyone to read my, jarmak and flyingorcs post history in here and see exactly who did exactly that and when. I laid out my position minutes before it went down.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TheMadMilkman posted:

My personal thought is that the FBI chose to ignore this at first, thinking that it would blow over in a few days and people would go home. Then they could issue warrants at their leisure and arrest them all at home.

Since that didn't work out, they took the next best approach, which was "do nothing and wait patiently." Sure, if the militia had done anything truly stupid, like taking hostages or something, they would have to act. But they managed to sit quietly and, by doing so, managed to arrest most of the leaders with only one death. And, given that all of those leaders had actively spoken about how they intended to go down in flames rather than be arrested, it is frankly amazing that only one of them was killed.

Yeah, I'm of the agreement the FBI probably goofed up the first few days. Like the rest of the internet, they didn't take the idiots seriously and as has been mentioned their funding regarding domestic (white) terrorists has been slashed and the crazies in congress have likely been making some quiet noises about what happens when they threaten (white) men. After that the situation snowballed and the FBI was stuck either going in for Waco II: the Wacining, or they had to wait it out to see if something could come up. Despite the frustration it caused with everyone, I'm so glad they chose option 2: to wait for the perfect chance because the end result is so goddamned hilarious.

As a side note, what's happened overnight for those who had to sleep? Who all's left and who all's still squatting in the refuge? Also, didn't a local sheriff or someone else promise a press meeting about this hour?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i'd just about kill to have a fly-on-the-wall view of the FBI operations leading up to this

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Now it's this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72MJLxSTiGM

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The appearance of doing nothing put the militia into a false sense of security. I would argue the militia having a false sense of security in their position made it quite a bit easier to shock and awe them and take 90% of the leadership alive. The previous time Bundy met with the FBI to negotiate a surrender (when he stormed out after finding out the media wasn't allowed in) people were screaming that they should of nabbed him then, but then Tarpman/ Ryan Bundy / Cavalier / Payne / snacks guy would of still been at the refuge and been able to rally the hicks in a way that would lead to a lot more bloodshed.

I count myself as one of the other goons grabbing my plate of crow because the snatch really couldn't have been played any better.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

RightwingAmerica.mp4 :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72MJLxSTiGM&t=109s

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Current live stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-2gUXrzV6U

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Al! posted:

Your smug insistence that the FBI was a doing nothing and b incompetent was proven to be foolish, why are you doubling down?

Find my actual position and get back to me.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
they shot at a drone

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Are they trying to build fortifications or something?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They could have done this on day 1 and crushed it before the real crazy people and the kids showed up, not saying it wasn't a good move to pick them up but waiting this long needlessly complicated things for the feds by adding women and children into the mix and letting other groups like the 3%ers to provide aid.

I think the FBI just made it harder for themselves by waiting.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

While you guys have your lovely little slapfight, there are actual gunshots on stream

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

3:15 also has the fat guy saying the line: We're at civil war now, if any LEOs don't join with us/the american people KILL THEM.

These are the people PJ was talking about waiting in the wings.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Geostomp posted:

It's official, this is the best quote for summarizing this entire pathetic "movement". A bunch of grown men and women with delusions of grandeur playing pretend army over imagined slights like overgrown children. I hope that jail is especially hard on all of them.

I can't understand their mindset either. Like, does anyone know the names of the people involved in the shot hear round the world in 1775? Maybe some people who research the American Revolution will know but other than that people have no idea. These guys see themselves as nameless figures who themselves won't be remembered, but the incident would. Maybe.

God they're so loving dumb it's painful.

Grem posted:

Um, so this guy's account is pretty plausible, but I have no idea how true it could possibly be. Somehow I doubt he's the ONLY one who got released from the arrests last night.

https://www.facebook.com/mark.mcconnell.127648/videos/10154667085229762?_rdr=p

Facebook Idiot posted:

"He said she said taking pieces here and pieces there and from what I witnessed I don't know" Those are your words not mine.. awful lot of hearsay in your presentation. You got to be a stand up guy to have even been in that crew. I wouldn't question that... and we are very thankful you weren't injured. Even if he did charge them he had every right. They're the aggressors.

Goddamn the spin in that video's comments. :psyduck:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

They just ran away from the digger.

Someone might be coming.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Ok, fat dude with the Ruger is legit scaring me.

"Still here. STILL ALIVE. Waiting for my brothers. I know they're coming. Where they're coming from and how many...I won't say."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

As a Millennial I posted:

Are you seriously trying to say that waiting for the militia to put nearly all their leaders in a couple of unprotected cars and drive them off the refuge had no effect on their success?

Not at all, the wait and the action are all part of what happened. If they wouldve attended that meeting and drove back with no contact, who do you think would have cried foul in here based on previous posts?

I think the wait is definitely justified, I think how much credit it deserves and how effective it was aren't as clear cut as some people in here think, but it was a good move. If you can find where I honestly asked for anything more aggressive than a traffic stop and arrests off the refuge then by all means I was wrong and suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Fat man's gonna be a problem, I think.

• Locked thread