Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vargatron posted:

Perhaps if we invested money into educating minorities in contraception and safe sex practices, we wouldn't be forced to abort so many black babies. Then we wouldn't have a thinly veiled excuse to exterminate the mud races in the womb.

What the right doesn't tell you is that they're against all forms of birth control. The best way to reduce abortions is good sex ed and easy, free access to effective birth control.

That would, however, lead to people having sex before marriage, women having sex for fun, and tax dollars being spent subsidizing sex and we can't be having that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Phone posted:

Now tell me that the Bundy family has been successfully arrested and they're throwing literal mini constitutions at them and I might consider this an amazing week.

I've got good news!

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The other day Master Shake was ranting about ethanol (again), and mentioned something along the lines of "our forefathers didn't go to war for ethanol!"

sounds like someone forgot about the Whiskey Rebellion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's just nice that Shake got a job after ATHF went off the air.

Why is he upset about ethanol?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn't ethanol supposed to be a cleaner alternative fuel source?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mr Interweb posted:

Well, there is a good argument against using arable land to produce ethanol, when instead one could encourage electric cars using renewable energy, this you'd have more land for producing crops for food...

But I doubt he's pushing that angle. That'd be too sane.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mr Interweb posted:

I've got good news!

Monday: Grand Jury pulls a Reversal of Fortune
Tuesday: Ammon (peace be upon him) & Co. get picked up by the FBI
Wednesday: Free Space!
Thursday: Trump pulls out of the Fox News debate
Friday: ????

Cmon Good Week Bingo...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

It's new and therefore bad.

It's also associated with environmentalism, progressives, and hippies. It is therefore bad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Producing corn just to turn it into ethanol is a massive waste of resources and land mass from a responsible agricultural point of view; however, E85 is basically race gas for a fraction of the price of leaded fuel with octane (R+M/2) ratings over 100 with none of the horrific downsides of actually using leaded gas.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there any more info about who started shooting? I don't think we should give trigger-happy cops a pass just because for once they're shooting at white supremacists instead of black peaceful citizens.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Tender Bender posted:

Is there any more info about who started shooting? I don't think we should give trigger-happy cops a pass just because for once they're shooting at white supremacists instead of black peaceful citizens.

In a call to his wife following his arrest, Ammon Bundy claimed that the tarp guy was shot while laying on the ground after surrendering. No idea what the reality is obviously, but it will be humorously ironic if any right wing outlets given them the benefit of the doubt and push forward with that narrative and claim that an injustice has occurred.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Don't know if anyone has seen / read this, pretty apt for this time of year.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/how-iowa-hijacked-our-democracy-213557

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

Specifically, he hates ethanol subsidies as they're "crony capitalism", and praises Cruz for telling Iowans that he's going to end them in 5 years, while Trump is saying he'll expand them.

He also talks about how ethanol causes more wear on engines (that doesn't sound right..) and how it's energy inefficient anyway (which is kinda true).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The entire US civic process feels like we are using an incredibly antiquated and clunky system in order to not hurt the feelings of the ghosts of about sixty dudes who have been dead for two hundred years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Goatman Sacks posted:

Specifically, he hates ethanol subsidies as they're "crony capitalism", and praises Cruz for telling Iowans that he's going to end them in 5 years, while Trump is saying he'll expand them.

He also talks about how ethanol causes more wear on engines (that doesn't sound right..) and how it's energy inefficient anyway (which is kinda true).
Yes it's super inefficient but I don't know about the engine wear thing. I know older cars can't run on ethanol gas without damage....

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tender Bender posted:

the dude is on record as saying "You'll never take me alive, coppers" in national press so we can safely assume before an investigation that dude shot first or did not comply with police orders in a situation where the proper legal use of force procedure was applied

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Knight posted:

Ritzheimer is alive and in custody in Arizona. He begged for money for an attorney on social media before turning himself in.

Lavoy Finicium is confirmed dead

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the dude is on record as saying "You'll never take me alive, coppers" in national press so we can safely assume before an investigation that dude shot first or did not comply with police orders in a situation where the proper legal use of force procedure was applied

Pretty much. Eric Garner didn't go on record declaring that his guns would keep him free from federal tyranny before the police killed him. These guys dictated the level of force required to subdue them, and that one of them died is unfortunate but not unexpected (and I agree with the poster who viewed it as relatively light compared to alternatives).

Local news here in Portland showed that the occupiers put up some front end loaders in the road and were patrolling on horseback carrying American flags. Not sure if I saw guns. Regardless, looks like they'll try to carry the sad show on.

e. Gotta give props to the local Fox anchor, Simon Gutierrez. Dude was doing the update in front of the guy on the horse, back turned to him as he talked this morning. If my producer had me doing that near those nutjobs after what happened last night, pretty sure I'd have told him to go gently caress himself.

Pander fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 27, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes it's super inefficient but I don't know about the engine wear thing. I know older cars can't run on ethanol gas without damage....

The term you're looking for is energy density; ethanol is less energy dense than a similar volume of gasoline. Meaning, 1 gallon of ethanol has less potential energy than 1 gallon of gas... Which can be extrapolated out to less fuel efficient per unit volume of distance traveled.

The old cars thing is two-fold:
1. Ethanol will destroy and wear out plastics and rubber hoses/grommets
2. There needs to be a sensor that can determine the fuel type to change engine maps

Problem 1 is just a straight up chemistry/materials problem. Problem 2 means that you can't dump E85 (or anything really over E10 or E15) into your car unless if it has a flex fuel system. Older cars can be retrofitted with sensors and aftermarket ECUs to allow for corn; however, said ECUs are for off-highway use only and it's a federal offense to tamper with an federal mandated emissions device ($25000 fine iirc).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Phone posted:

The term you're looking for is energy density; ethanol is less energy dense than a similar volume of gasoline. Meaning, 1 gallon of ethanol has less potential energy than 1 gallon of gas... Which can be extrapolated out to less fuel efficient per unit volume of distance traveled.

2. There needs to be a sensor that can determine the fuel type to change engine maps

Problem 1 is just a straight up chemistry/materials problem. Problem 2 means that you can't dump E85 (or anything really over E10 or E15) into your car unless if it has a flex fuel system. Older cars can be retrofitted with sensors and aftermarket ECUs to allow for corn; however, said ECUs are for off-highway use only and it's a federal offense to tamper with an federal mandated emissions device ($25000 fine iirc).

The energy density is less important than the energy input required to create that volume of ethanol. Oil is relatively easy to get out of the ground and refine into gasoline compared to the process of growing the corn and going through the fermentation required to create ethanol. If you're going to put that much water, ammonium, and effort into the process you might as well use that for food.

Farmers love ethanol because it creates competition between automobile and food consumers for their corn, which raises the price. If ethanol were banned, corn prices would drop precipitously. I think in the early 2000s corn was under $200 a bushel. During the ethanol push by the late 2000s it was around $800/bushel.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not up to date on my militia nutters. Is table shoving guy also tarp guy?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Goatman Sacks posted:

Specifically, he hates ethanol subsidies as they're "crony capitalism",

More like CORNY capitalism! Hah-HAH!

I'll see myself out

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

The media has pretty much guaranteed a lovely Republican mayor come next election, unless some level headed candidate emerges from the aether or some leftist independent some how woos NYC via dark magics.

Short of the NYC GOP running another guy willing to say he would kill cats probably will happen. And even though this guy has given city workers the best contact deals in over 20 years they'll still vote him out cause "him and his dyke wife hate cops."

Hell the Daily News was just hyping a story about violent crime being up 15 percent cause some woman got slashed on the Subway. Hell is almost funny how quickly everyone forgets how awful Giuliani and Bloomberg were. Hell 9/10/01 Giuliani had to be the most hated person in this whole city. And by time he left no one liked Bloomberg, Republicans hated him for being too liberal and Democrats hated him for being an enormous self centered rear end in a top hat.

But we get a mayor that suggests mauve the cops shouldn't be racist and the people of this city channel their inner George Wallace.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Radish posted:

No. Table guy apparently hosed off back to Arizona and got arrested there.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Radish posted:

Table Guy is also overwrought "I swore an oath" guy. I think he's also the guy who leads protests against mosques and then begs for money to buy guns to protect himself and his family from angry durka-durkas.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pander posted:

The energy density is less important than the energy input required to create that volume of ethanol. Oil is relatively easy to get out of the ground and refine into gasoline compared to the process of growing the corn and going through the fermentation required to create ethanol. If you're going to put that much water, ammonium, and effort into the process you might as well use that for food.

Farmers love ethanol because it creates competition between automobile and food consumers for their corn, which raises the price. If ethanol were banned, corn prices would drop precipitously. I think in the early 2000s corn was under $200 a bushel. During the ethanol push by the late 2000s it was around $800/bushel.

I'm talking about joules per unit volume. Chemistry.

Gasoline's energy density is 32.4MJ/L.
E100's energy density is 20.9MJ/L.

I know that growing a poo poo load of corn to distill down into ethanol is resource intensive, I wasn't talking about the agricultural impact and inefficiency when specifically talking about energy density.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Phone posted:

I wasn't arguing that?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pander posted:

I wasn't arguing that?

Phone posted:

Producing corn just to turn it into ethanol is a massive waste of resources and land mass from a responsible agricultural point of view; however, E85 is basically race gas for a fraction of the price of leaded fuel with octane (R+M/2) ratings over 100 with none of the horrific downsides of actually using leaded gas.

Img-timeline or whatever. You ignored my earlier post entirely to bring up an argument that we were already in agreement with.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

KomradeX posted:

Short of the NYC GOP running another guy willing to say he would kill cats probably will happen. And even though this guy has given city workers the best contact deals in over 20 years they'll still vote him out cause "him and his dyke wife hate cops."

Hell the Daily News was just hyping a story about violent crime being up 15 percent cause some woman got slashed on the Subway. Hell is almost funny how quickly everyone forgets how awful Giuliani and Bloomberg were. Hell 9/10/01 Giuliani had to be the most hated person in this whole city. And by time he left no one liked Bloomberg, Republicans hated him for being too liberal and Democrats hated him for being an enormous self centered rear end in a top hat.

But we get a mayor that suggests mauve the cops shouldn't be racist and the people of this city channel their inner George Wallace.

The best thing about those "up x%" stories is how they are always wrong when you do the math at the end of the year. They always cherry pick whichever measurement gives them the highest number for that story (up x% compared to this month last year, or compared to this point last year, etc.) while neglecting the overall trend and total amount of crimes in question. They did it a few times last year too, hyping waves of violence and crime spikes, but at the end of the year the NYPD released it's data and it turned out to be a pretty good year. Of course, that gets very little coverage.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Phone posted:

Img-timeline or whatever. You ignored my earlier post entirely to bring up an argument that we were already in agreement with.

I didn't ignore it, I was just expounding on what I felt was the critical reason ethanol subsidies won't be going away anytime soon.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Crosspost, things have escalated just a little bit in Oregon:

Jacobin posted:

E: fixing link

Oh boy.
Protip to the right-wing militia guys: This is what it looks like when right-wing terrorism is treated as right-wing terrorism. You guys should surrender immediately, or you will get your martyrdom wish granted to you.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pander posted:

that one of them died is unfortunate

it really isnt

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Phone posted:

I know that growing a poo poo load of corn to distill down into ethanol is resource intensive, I wasn't talking about the agricultural impact and inefficiency when specifically talking about energy density.

Which from the consumer's perspective also means lower mileage. Even if your car is fine with ethanol, and ethanol is cheaper per gallon than gasoline, you can still pay more per mile on ethanol fuel than gas.

Combine that with how corn ethanol (as opposed to sugar cane ethanol in Brazil) is really inefficient and energy intensive to produce in the first place, it's easy to see it as a straight up agricultural subsidy that uses the environment and energy independence as an excuse without meaningfully helping either, and perhaps even doing net harm.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I don't think we should assume that if someone is killed by the US Police it's because they shot first or "did not comply with police orders" or that shooting someone to death is an appropriate response to failure to comply with police orders. I am not condemning the cops because we don't know very much but I also think we shouldn't ever assume any police-related death is justified, no matter how much we dislike the victim, particularly given the police system's track record.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is there a reason all these guys have names like Space Marine Primarchs?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Phone posted:

Yeah ethanol is bad for the old car crowd, carburetors really don't like it. Luckily there's enough companies that make additives that you can throw in to cancel it out, but that adds a dollar or two to each tank which kinda sucks when you're dealing with a car that gets like 10mpg.

I had heard that E10/E15 was destroying rubber hoses in 80's Hondas as well, but I don't have any direct knowledge of that.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 27, 2016

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

fade5 posted:

Crosspost, things have escalated just a little bit in Oregon:

Protip to the right-wing militia guys: This is what it looks like when right-wing terrorism is treated as right-wing terrorism. You guys should surrender immediately, or you will get your martyrdom wish granted to you.

I thought they arrested most of the main guys last night, so who slash how many people are still left there at the compound?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Deified Data posted:

Is there a reason all these guys have names like Space Marine Primarchs?

Because they're basically children.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry what I originally meant by energy efficiency is that the energy put into producing ethanol, in terms of gallons of fossil fuels used, is far higher than just pumping more oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Goatman Sacks posted:

Sorry what I originally meant by energy efficiency is that the energy put into producing ethanol, in terms of gallons of fossil fuels used, is far higher than just pumping more oil.

Do keep in mind that this is highly variable based on crops. Corn is among the worst possible crops, but stuff like sugarcane is a net energy gain.

Of course, you can't easily grow sugarcane in most of the US!