Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 16: Esbat

Alright, everyone seems ready. What's on the itinerary for today?
Let's see... "Get presents for Quona," "Kill three Tree Sponges," "Go through 10F," and... "Get milk and eggs?" "Sit in room and wait for something to happen?"
Oops. Sorry. I needed to write down my to-do list and that was the only paper I could find.

Last time, we took on two quests before heading into 10F. Let's take care of The perfect gift first.

...Does anyone actually know what Quona would like for a gift?
Uh... That's a very good question.
Maybe she'd like pieces of monsters from the Labyrinth... A Gryphon wing, maybe.
Condensed fire or an ice core seem like good ways to get her started on special effects. They're very, very pretty too.
Llllllet's just go ask some of the people in town, alright?

Our quest starts with visiting everyone in town to get ideas for gifts.

Yeah, uh... Yeh got any idea what Quona would like for a present?
Hee hee, I see! Oh! I didn't mean to laugh at you. I'm sorry. I mean, you're such capable explorers... It's funny to see you with no idea what to get a girl for her birthday! It's kinda cute.
I mean, we DID have some ideas, but I don't think Quona's very interested in severed monster parts or condensed elements. Also, um, that last comment--
N-Not that I mean to say I think you're cute or anything... Sorry! That came out wrong.
Oi, c'mon. I may have a burly face and a buncha scars, but that hurts ta hear.
Umm... Let's see... She might like flowers. She's a girl, after all. How ab out the Small Flowers that you can Take from the first stratum? She'll like it for sure! But there might be something better, so why don't you ask other people as well? I hope you can find something nice!
Let's go visit Regina. I'm getting hungry, anyway.

Quona--the innkeeper's daughter--her birthday's coming up. Hanna wants us to get her a present, but we don't have the faintest idea of where to start.
I see... In that case... Alright. I'll see what I can do. I'll take care of something while you all look around. The party's at the bar, right? I'll bring it over as soon as I finish it.
Thank you very much, Dame Regina! We'll be going to... Erm, where to next?
Cass seems like he knows everyone in town pretty well. He's probably got some fun ideas.

Hanna wants us to find a present for Quona's birthday...but the only ideas we could come up with ourselves were severed monster parts and densely-compressed elements.
...Welp, no clue what she'd want.
Thanks, Cass. Really helpful. You're as useful as alw--
But look, I'll help yeh out... I know where yeh might be able to find somethin' valuable.
...I'm listening.
A little while back, a caravan of merchants was attacked in a small room on the 3rd floor. They fled from the monsters and left behidn two wagons filled with treasure! I bet yeh could find some nice swag there... Oh, and keep this a secret, eh? Oh, and why don't yeh try askin' other folks, too? G'luck, kids!

Alright, let's see... We haven't asked Marion and Dubois for their thoughts yet.

Quona's birthday is coming up, and Hanna asked us to get her some presents. We're flat broke for ideas, though, so we've been askin' everyone for their thoughts.
What possessed you to come to me for advice...?
We're asking everyone in town for their thoughts.
Mm... I see... The world is a dangerous place, after all, so how about a sword? If she starts training now, she'll be ready to deal with any attackers.
I... I mean, I can see the need for self-defense, but... Quona? A sword?
...Er, merely a joke. Well, perhaps she'd like some berries? After all...who doesn't like berries?
Good point.
You can find high-quality berries in the western region of the 6th floor. Monsters may be roaming around that area, which is also why the area's not too well known...but you'll be fine. However...I can't guarantee she'd be excited by them. It might be wise to seek more recommendations around town. That's all. If there's nothing else to discuss, clear out.

Well, the only person we haven't visited yet is Dubois. Let's talk to him and then get on with this.

Innkeeper's daughter. Birthday present. We don't have any ideas ourselves.
A very difficult problem. No matter their age, women tend to be complicated and mysterious. Even I often wonder what to get my granddaughter. I'd certainly help you if I could, especially as the question is coming from you... But my duty is to the nation as a whole. I cannot set aside time for one individual citizen, adorable as she may be. I suggest you ask others in the city...they may be able to offer more useful advice. As a member of the board of education... I still have no insight into young girls. Forgive me for not being able to help. May you have luck in your quest.

Alright, let's see... Flowers, something from that abandoned caravan, and berries. Regina said she'd cook something up, too.
Let's start with the caravan, then.

SYSTEM: You approach warily, identifying it as the aftermath of a monster attack, but neither monster nor human seem to be here. Mvoing closer, you find a few bags that look like luggage. You may find something if you decide to scavenge.
...Is this okay? What if the merchants come back to try and get their stock?
Finders keepers. That's the Duchy's rule regarding the Labyrinth.
SYSTEM: The rules of the Labyrinth allow whoever finds an item within to lay claims to it. Regardless of the caravan's destination, it must have carried something worthwhile. You rummage through the bags, looking for something that could be used as a birthday present...
Over here!
SYSTEM: Before long, Rheine finds a candle with a faint floral scent in an open chest. You recognize the candle as a type popular among nobles. Its clean, fresh aroma, created by alchemy, provides relaxation for the owner for years on end.
...Wait, what's thi-- Ugh...
SYSTEM: However, the treasure chest seems to have been rigged with a trap, and Rheine looks woozy!

Your first party member loses 50 TP here.

Alright, let's...oogh, let's get on with it. Let's go find some flowers...
Here, just drink this. You'll feel better in a few minutes.
SYSTEM: Either way, you were able to obtain a present for the innkeeper's daughter. If you are satisfied, you can choose to go back to the bar to report, or you can choose to look for another present.

What kind of lazy chump do you take me for, game? We're going for every present.

SYSTEM: You may have been told by someone in town that perhaps flowers would make a good present. You could bring the Small Flower that you just got back to the bar as her present. If that does not seem enough, then you can choose to gather more presents.
Let's go get the berries that Marion mentioned.

SYSTEM: You may have been told by someone in town that perhaps berries would be good as a present. You can see distinct green leaves and purple fruit nestled on the Labyrinth ground.
Alright, carefully now...
SYSTEM: You decide to gather a careful selection of berries, and put them into a bottle.
My bottle.
My corrrrrrrrrk there's monsters here!
SYSTEM: However, the forest is far from idyllic... There appear to be monsters in the area! Monsters rise to attack--aiming to keep the berries for themselves!

Hmm...

SYSTEM: Thrashed around form the ferocity of the battle, the berries in the jar were mashed into paste. It has a sweet, fruity scent... It occurs to you that this may be a blessing in disguise. The mashed berreis emit a sweet, cloying fragrance... It resembles that of high-quality jam. You decide that you will make some minor adjustments to add sweetness and sourness ot the jam, and give it as a present.

SYSTEM: You now have more than enough presents for the daughter! All that remains is to go back to the bar to report your progress!

Ahhh, Lumen! Perfect timing! We're having a birthday bash for the innkeeper's daughter! Why don't yeh join us? Yeh can give her the present yeh found!
A'ight, where's the birthday girl herself?

Heh. Happy birthday, Quona!
We gathered some presents for you, Quona.
SYSTEM: You handed her the Small Flower as her present!
Wow...! ...... It's pretty...and it smells good. It's so nice... This is a great present... Th-Thank you...
Hold up, there's more!
SYSTEM: You handed her the Quality Jam as her present!
Ah...! ...... Wow...it looks delicious. Can I share it with my mom?
Why would you have to ask us? Feel free to.
Thank you... This is a wonderful present... Haha...
One more.
SYSTEM: You handed her the Scented Candle as her present!
Whoa...! ...... Ha ha... It's a great present! Thank you!

Wow... Is that...a cake?
Mhm. A birthday cake for you.
This is amazing... Thank you...Miss Regina...
If you're gonna thank anyone, thank Lumen. They sort of gave me a quest, you see. ...Since I made my delivery, I'll go back to my store. Happy birthday.
Okay...! Uhm... Thank you very much for the party... I think...this is my best birthday ever. Thank you very much... Eheh...that's all.

Ah, shaddap, Cass. Heh.
All right... It's time we got down to business, Lumen. Here's the reward for doin' the job. Nice work! The girl has her gift, yeh have yer reward, everyone's happy! Cheers! Thanks for helpin' out!

We get more Therica A/Bs and EXP for getting more presents.

Standard, kinda boring level ups for Tyler and Realga.

Sophie, on the other hand, leveled up Curse Mastery to level 5, which unlocked the binding Curses. Binds are very useful, but I'd say just pick one or even two to max out. Maxing out all three will require a metric ton of skill points (27 of them).

It would seem that my services are needed once more.
What am I even here for? Can't you all just do this yourselves?
Why is it called a Tree Sponge if it's more like a fairy?

And now for something completely different. Say hello to the Tree Sponge Exterminators, a party I have put together solely to kill those fuckers as quickly and painlessly as possible. Ranger and Milly are going to be doing most of the heavy lifting, but I have Stardust for extra purely elemental damage, Jackie for Supreme Bolt, and Colette for War Edge Power plus Ailing Slash in case things go really badly.

I probably could've killed it with the normal party if I just had Tyler do nothing until I could bind the thing's arms, but eh. This was more fun.

Tree Sponge
HP: 4808, STR: 25, VIT: 22
Skills:
  • Spin Drive: Uses the arms. Passively makes the Tree Sponge spin whenever it is hit with physical damage. On the Tree Sponge's next action, deals severe Cut damage to the entire party.
Drops:
  • Normal: Water Bubble. Sells for 303 en. 1 needed to make Bubble Armor (+35 DEF, 10% resistance to Fire).
    "The intact bubble of a Tree Sponge. With this, you could make fire-resistant armor."
  • Ingredient: Fire Heartwood. 2 needed to make Mala Inferno Pot (Chinese Food 2; Damage taken from Poison and Curse halved, TP loss from Fear halved).
    "Gives out a lot of heat."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Stab, Bash, Ice, Volt
  • Weak: Cut, Fire
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Poison, Paralysis, Panic, Curse, Fear, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Blind
  • Resist: Sleep, Petrification, Instant Death
  • Nullify: Stun

A plant being that spins out of control, knocking foes off their feet!

Tree Sponges are either cakewalks or nightmares depending on your party composition. Physical damage dealers are basically right out until you can either Blind/Panic the thing or binds its arms. We saw Spin Drive a few updates ago--even now, it'd still kill the entire party.

The key thing with Tree Sponges is that purely elemental damage (composite types WILL trigger Spin Drive) does not make Tree Sponges go berserk. Their normal attacks hurt, yeah, but far less than Spin Drive does.

Also note that it nullifies stun, so Supreme Bolt is basically only a fast-acting attack here.

I have Colette and Jackie (not pictured) defend until I reach a point where I'm confident that the Tree Sponge will die before getting Spin Drive off.

You hate physical attacks, huh?

THAT'S PRETTY GODDAMN GOOD TO KNOW!

And I rev up the bulldozer.

Stardust'll help too.

If Ranger is a bulldozer, then Milly is some kinda aftermarket mod that replaces the bulldozer's engine and wheels with those of a racecar. (I presume that's how cars and industrial vehicles work.)

Barely felt that!

Back row party members using Defend take effectively 25% damage compared to normal.

And already, Ranger's dealt just shy of 600 damage to the thing.

If I just smoosh all these matches together...

Prepping for the Murder Turn™.

Stardust'll deal some damage in the meantime.

Because Ranger wasn't quite ridiculous enough already.

Consider that Stardust has a maxed-out Compression + War Song (60% effect) + a decently-leveled Inferno Formula + Analysis, and you begin to see why I consider Ranger's damage absurd.

This is gonna be fun. I have Ranger use Meteor Smash instead of Fire Wave since he'd run out of TP for the second one after casting the first--if you run out of TP to cast an action during Accelerate, you just waste a turn. And that's no fun.

Crush the thing like a bug!

~1000 damage from Fire Wave.

Meteor Smash does set off Spin Drive, but the Tree Sponge will die before it can use it.

For those of you keeping track at home, why yes, Ranger DID deal nearly 3700 damage in one turn, why do you ask?

Par-ting SHOT! Boom!

And Supreme Bolt's basically-priority action speed modifier lets Jackie snipe the Tree Sponge before it can act.

Imagine me repeating this same fight two more times.

I also remember that pretty much the entire party has skill points I didn't invest while grinding. I maxed out Ailing Slash on Colette, since I feel she can now eat the TP cost increase, and put 3 points in War Lore Mastery, which unlocked Warmight and Rockskin (buffs I don't care about since Milly and Rheine exist), and Artery, which gives the entire party a buff that restores their HP after acting for a set amount of turns. It's a very, very good buff, and one that I'll get to at least level 5 before going for Barrier.

I level up Fire Wave to level 7 on Ranger.

Leveled up Cocytus Formula to 9 and Inferno Formula to 4 on Stardust.

Another point in Fire Prelude. Oh yeah, I leveled that up a lot during the grinding.

I'm not entirely confident that Jackie can handle Charged Ice's TP cost increase from 20 to 25 at max level, so I have her put a point in Charged Fire instead.

Offscreen: I swapped out the Tree Sponge Exterminators for the normal party before turning the quest in.

Hey, welcome back! How was it? Did yeh get the ingredients?
Right here. Thank the Tree Sponge Exterminators for them.
Please stop calling them that.
Haw haw haw! Yeh guys are amazing! Gatherin' up all this must've been hell for yeh! Even gatherin' one's supposed to be hard, and yeh just stroll up with three... Yeh know I was kidding when I said three would be good, right? I only expected one, but yeh actually did it! Haw haw haw!
...Cass.
Aw, what's with the dirty look? I still gotta reward yeh for the extras, don't worry. Y'sure yeh don't want me to sing an ode to yer greatness instead?
Please no.
Haw! Fine, fine. Take all these! Use 'em carefully!

Axcelas are pretty drat good consumables. When given to a character, they restore that character's Force by around 10 or 15 if they are not a) in the Force Boost state or b) have had their Force gauge broken.

I put one point in Link Order and another in Link Order II for Rheine. Pretty much everyone gained one level from me using the Yggdrasil Clover Tea to grind.

Delayed Charge is now maxed out, and does max damage after 4 turns, along with generally doing much more damage. I'll be going for more Cross Charge levels after this.

Overheal can now boost someone's max HP a little more, and gives extra bonus heal.

Maxing out Cocytus Formula would bump its TP cost up to a whopping 50 TP, so I just get more Inferno Formula levels for now.

I put 2 points into Blinding Curse so Sophie has a way to disable enemies (as much as Blind disables, anyway) semi-reliably.

Let's get this out of the way so we can get to the strata I actually really like.

The Chop point on 10F gives Oni Chestnuts for its ingredient.

Actaeon
HP: 398, STR: 27, VIT: 18
Skills:
  • Blast Horn: Uses the head. Deals heavy Stab damage to one target with a line-piercing effect.
  • Powerful Rage: Uses the head. Raises the Actaeon's physical damage for 5 turns. Only used when the Actaeon is in the back row.
Drops:
  • Normal: Steel Horn. Sells for 59 en. 1 needed for Iron Claw (+76 ATK). 3 needed for Beast Bell (Raises encounter rate). 10 Hardwood and 5 Steel Horns needed for Long Spear (+72 ATK).
    "Actaeon's giant horn containing steel grains. However, the metal is difficult to extract."
  • Ingredient: Deer Shoulder. 3 needed for Gibier Curry Rice (Western Food 2; Max HP x1.5). 5 needed for Mala Inferno Pot (Chinese Food 2; Damage taken from Poison and Curse halved, TP loss from Fear halved).
    "Fatty yet firm meat."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Fire, Ice, Volt
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Poison, Paralysis, Panic, Curse, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Blind, Head bind
  • Resist: Sleep, Fear

A wild deer with intricate horns. Do not get overrun!

I really hate these things. Blast Horn is powerful enough to one-shot most front liners and either kill or severely damage whoever gets hit in the back row. Powerful Rage is basically irrelevant, since it basically means the Actaeon wastes a turn while you use all-target skills to end the battle quickly.

Rattle Nozuchi
HP: 224, STR: 15, VIT: 13
Skills:
  • Corrosive Aura: Uses the legs. Reduces the entire party's physical defense for 5 turns.
Drops:
  • Normal: Ruby Shard. Sells for 57 en. 1 needed for Gara Rod (+67 ATK, +15 HP, +2 TEC). 7 needed for Nodachi (+81 ATK). 5 Ruby Shards and 2 Beast Femurs needed for Battle Axe (+79 ATK).
    "Scrap of Nozuchi hide. Contains crimson metals. One mistake in forging it will turn it black."
  • Conditional: Frozen Iron (Kill with Ice damage). 1 needed for Fire Saker (+67 ATK, Normal attacks are Stab+Fire)
    "Wing bone frozen to its core. Its cold power can be embedded into weapons."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Fire, Volt
  • Weak: Ice
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Paralysis, Panic, Sleep, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind
  • Resist: Instant Death, Leg bind

A long-tailed reptile creature so rare that a frozen specimen is worth a lot to collectors.

Thought Actaeons already hit hard? Corrosive Aura makes it even worse. That's pretty much all Rattle Nozuchis do, though.

Bear in mind, that's just the Actaeon's normal attack. Rheine really should not be in the front row, but still.

Murder clouds your vision...
Uh, I think biting its face clouded its vision.

Alright, c'mon, you're back in fighting--

...condition.

Oh, COME ON. The thing's blinded and has its head bound! How the gently caress did it hit her?!

Those antlers aren't much good when you're dead.

The Rattle Nozuchi died without much of a fight. My point still stands though: Actaeons can seriously screw you up.

It's...one of the Salamander's children?
If I remember right, Colette said they spit fire when they see something.
Isn't that a Tree Sponge over there?

SYSTEM: However, you believe you are familiar by now with each monster's behavior. One wanders the passages and the other breathes fire... You may be able to use this to your advantage to find a way through. If you can imagine your course clearly, then there is no need to hesitate. Go forth and put your plan into action.

You ever wonder what happens when a Tree Sponge walks into a Baby Salamander's fire?

That. That's what happens.

SYSTEM: You congratulate yourself on finding the most efficient means of proceeding! You may continue to use that flame to your advantage from here on, or decide it is not necessary and take another route.

For something that lives in a warm stratum, those Tree Sponges sure are flammable.

Rheine got a level up from a boring random encounter. I put the skill point into Link Order.

Same thing in the next room, except with a lot more empty space.

The timing's slightly harder on this one since the Tree Sponge isn't just patrolling the possible fire path. You have to walk into the Baby Salamander's vision when the Tree Sponge is one tile away from the fire path.

Easy.

Oh, hello. Another dinosaur.
OH GODS ANOTHER DINOSAUR!

Sauroposeidon
HP: 831, STR: 25, VIT: 19
Skills:
  • Charge: Uses the head. Increases all physical damage dealt next turn. Can be disabled with Blast Grenades.
  • Hammerhead: Uses the head. Deals severe (up to overkill with Charge) Bash damage to the entire party.
Drops:
  • Normal: Beast Femur. Sells for 120 en. 1 needed for Bone Helm (+16 DEF; Beast-equippable). 4 needed for Bone Culverin (+64 ATK). 30 Iron Toenails and 1 Beast Femur needed for Bash Talisman (Bash damage reduced by 25%). 5 Ruby Shards and 2 Beast Femurs needed for Battle Axe (+79 ATK).
    "A powerful dinosaur's huge thigh bone. Many adventurers can't get it back to town."
Damage resistances:
  • Weak: Fire, Ice, Volt
  • Resist: Cut, Stab, Bash
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Paralysis, Panic, Sleep, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Poison
  • Resist: Stun, Head bind

Though generally an herbivore, this creature has a long neck it can use to harm intruders.

I hope you have some Blast Grenades or can kill the Sauroposeidon in 1 turn or so, otherwise enjoy having an either mostly or entirely dead party!

I think I can pretty fairly call that a headshot!

Head Pierce's instant death proc is always fun.

Secret passage here.

With a worthless Grimoire. Risk Perception gives your party a passive chance to negate a blindside, but its chance is low enough at the Grimoire's level where it's just a waste of a slot.

SYSTEM: The figure standing silently before you is an old man with a gun in each hand.
Heh. Those're some nice guns. So, who're you?
I hear a lot of things about Lumen. You made it here, so you can't be half bad.
...Thanks?
SYSTEM: The old marksman's voice is deep and cold.
Not half good either, though. Why not leave this place to us and retire while you can?
SYSTEM: The marksman's words are shot through with spite...
Okay, enough of this. Who are you?
SYSTEM: The old man responds with a mocking laugh.
Since I'm the last man you'll ever meet, I should introduce myself. Listen well!

Fun fact: the original EO2 had an umlaut over the u in Der Freischütz, but I guess Atlus USA didn't feel like doing that for EO2U.

Wilhelm's title (which is his only name in the Japanese script) is a reference to Carl Maria von Weber's opera "Der Freischütz", or "The Marksman". Having never seen the opera, I can't tell you much about it, but this isn't the last reference EO2U makes to it.

Extra fun fact: Wilhelm's guns have names, although they're only given in the artbooks. The black-barreled one is named "Selena," while the gold one is "Traumerei." I don't know if there's any significance to these at all, but feel free to let me know if there is.

Hmph. Ya wanna fight us, then? Is that it?!
I've got medicine at the ready!
I'd rather not become a cannibal...
TYLER! REALGA! Stand down! We have nothing to gain from fighting other explorers!
Forget fighting other explorers, this man has decades of experience on us.
SYSTEM: Though your blood is boiling, you realize the futility in fighting fellow explorers. You sheathe your weapons, refusing to fight the old Gunner. But as you cast about for what to do next... You hear a voice call out behind you.

SYSTEM: The voice coming from behind you is that of a young woman. You turn to face her.

SYSTEM: Seeing her face makes you realize that this young woman is the same one you met at the Geomagnetic Pole on the 6th floor!
I'm sorry. My guardian must be overdoing it. That man...
SYSTEM: She flashes a glare at the old marksman and to your surprise, his menacing demeanor softens.
He can be such trouble...
SYSTEM: The woman gives a knowing smile to the old man before looking at you once more with dawning recognition.
You were the ones I met the other day at the Pole... Hmm. So you've managed to make it this far, have you?
SYSTEM: She adopts a curious expression as her eyes meet the floor. If you would like to ask her something, now may be the time.
Um, sorry about that. I don't think we got your name when we met at the Pole, though.
Oh? That's right, we haven't introduced ourselves yet. Let's get introductions out of the way. We're Guild Esbat... You must know the name.

Esbat apparently refers to some kind of Wiccan celebration of full moon, with the name being derived from Old French. I guess Wiccan stuff kind of meshes with the woman being a War Magus, but I don't see what it has to do with Wilhelm.

Marion talks about you a bunch, and we heard your name mentioned a bunch alongside Beowulf when we were new. So, yes, we've heard of you.
Haha, thanks. We've got a little skill, that's all, but it does add to our reputation. I'm Artelinde, a War Magus, and this Gunner is Wilhelm, my guardian. We explore the forest together. And believe it or not, my guardian was trying to help.
There's a nasty beast on the Labyrinth's 10th floor. It's not like anything you've seen. We don't want anyone without permission from the Grand Duchy to get themselves killed there. So he meant well... He was only concerned for your safety.
He was concerned for our safety, and tried to help us...by threatening to kill us.
Hush, Realga.
SYSTEM: You find this hard to believe, but the old marksman has said nothing since the woman arrived. You finally nod to show that you're willing to let the matter drop. The woman continues.
If you want to go ahead, you'll have to talk with Dubois at the Duke's Palace.
SYSTEM: Artelinde waves goodbye to you, as if impatient for you to leave.
Well, see you later!

SYSTEM: It seems that you have no choice but to return to Lagaard and visit the Duke's Palace.

Lousy stupid Esbat. We were already warned about that Flame Demon, by Cass of all people!
Realga... I can see why you're frustrated, but please learn to control your temper. You too, Tyler.
Feh. At least Artelinde had a level head. That Gunner should've retired at least 10 years ago...

"Encountered" is putting it lightly, Dubois.
Realga.
...Then you must have already heard from them. A terrible monster resides within the 10th floor. Its strength is quite fearsome, but it possesses an even more horrific quality... You see, a number of guilds have already set out to slay this monster, including Guild Esbat. Many faced down the ferocious monster...and some were even successful in slaying it.
Hold up. It's already dead? What're we here for, then?
However...after only a few days, the monster resurrected and appeared again, as though nothing had happened.
What.
Do you see how the very thought of this creature pains me?
Okay, yeah, I can see why this thing's an issue now.
While the beast still lives...only the most skilled of explorers may pass the 10th floor. That is why I refuse entry to the untested, and only allow passage to those who understand the risks ahead. Do you also intend to fight that fearsome monster?
We are all committed to reaching the top of Yggdrasil, Dubois.

I see... I expected as much. Then I won't spare the details. Its den is at the end of the 10th floor, directly in front of the stairs upward. Its unholy regenerative powers and mastery over fire has led us to name it the Flame Demon. Countless explorers have met their deaths in combat against the fiend. If you mean to slay the Flame Demon, you must face it fully prepared!

I mean, realistically, the entire guild is at a level where we could take on Flame Demon and win with a decent party composition.

Gara Rod (+67 ATK, +15 HP, +2 TEC) is unlocked by selling 1 Ruby Shard. It's useful for Combat Medics, I guess.

Iron Claw (+76 ATK) is unlocked by selling 1 Steel Horn. I really don't have anything to say about this thing.

Next time: we finish 10F and prepare to fight the Flame Demon.

Rea fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 17: Basically Filler

Oogh, my head... That was some night of drinkin' we had.
It is a new day. Let's just put our disagreements over Esbat aside and finish the 2nd Stratum.
Agreed. There can't be much floor left.
I could use a break from being on the main team...

This'll be a very short update. We only have around half of 10F to explore.

Guns make persuasive arguments.
So there's no need for us to hold you back any longer...
SYSTEM: The woman speaks in her typical casual manner before handing you a medicine bottle.

All is forgiven!

Hard to say no to free Amritas.

A gift for you, in hopes that your demon-slaying mission goes well.
Thank you very much, Lady Artelinde.
Mhm. Those things are hard to come by.
You're very welcome. Well then, may our paths cross again, hm?
SYSTEM: Having said that much, the woman turns her gaze from you and leaves, the elderly gunner still at her side. You see them off and collect yourselves before returning to your search for the monster to be slain.

Stop me if yeh've heard this one:

A Highlander and an Attack Cactus walk into a Baby Salamander's view.

And then the Cactus burns to death! Eh? Eh?
...Was there a joke there?

Just wanted to show that I got the Rattle Nozuchi's conditional after forgetting about it last update.

I don't know why the room is so big, to be honest.

In Story mode, Artelinde and Wilhelm introduce themselves to you in this small room, as well as offer you free full HP/TP restoration. Purestrain Storyism, if you ask me.

Oh joy, a bunch of FOEs and thorny floors. My favorites!

Now this is a room where it's easy to find yourself in a bad situation. There's Baby Salamanders in two corner of the room, a Fire Drake patrolling the middle, and four damage tiles on each side of the Fire Drake's patrol path.

This is honestly the best way I can think of to get out of the room unscathed: walk along the Fire Drake's patrol path until you can sneak out of its view (or come into it) as you walk on the side of the room that has the door.

Try not to waste too much time when walking in this room, since the Fire Drake can catch up to you unexpectedly. I've game overed to the Fire Drake in here a few times in older runs!

Oh god. This is an encounter formation that can kill quite a few party members very quickly.

Thunderstruck.
My decree is DEATH.

Alchemists and Sovereigns make for very good partners thanks to Link Order.

The Actaeon died without much of a fight.

The Take point on 10F gives Small Soybeans for ingredients.

Ooh, treasure!
Gimme gimme gimme!

Oh, come on.

This is going straight into the garbage.

And now we have a cactus chasing us.

There's thankfully some damage tiles right near the upper door. I let the Attack Cactus limp away for 2 or 3 steps, then bolt for the bottom part of the room.

It never ends.

It's hard to see from here, but that Fire Drake is standing on top of a LOT of damage tiles. It's kind of difficult to move out of its line of sight when it's basically taking a step for every step you take.

For reference, there's all the damage tiles the Fire Drake had at its disposal.

I don't hear any FOEs moving around up ahead.
We gotta be gettin' close to the Flame Demon, then.

We're in the home stretch. Just some corridors and rooms with no FOEs in them left.

SYSTEM: The tree trunk before you is forked in two, and a shining liquid spills over the center. You came all this way... You may as well see what happens if you drink the liquid.
Well, it doesn't look or smell poisonous.
What's the worst that could happen?
SYSTEM: You each scoop the liquid in your hands and swallow some. It's faintly sweet to the tongue, and relieves your exhaustion.

I feel renewed.
SYSTEM: The liquid begins to slowly pool again. There should be enough for all of you once more by tomorrow.

I don't think we'll really be coming back to this spot since it's so far into the floor, but still. Atlus being generous for once.

Last gathering point of the 2nd Stratum. It gives Root Chili for its ingredient.

The last corridors and rooms of the 2nd Stratum have some really nasty encounters you can run into. There's even a few with two Actaeons!

The shortcut here, in combination with the one near the stairs, makes for an easy path to the end of the floor. If you're playing along, always be on the lookout for shortcuts!

There's another locked door in this last room. It's the last one in the game, although we won't be getting the key until the 4th Stratum.

SYSTEM: Beyond it, you feel something markedly different from any ordinary monster... If you feel fully prepared, then open the door and meet your fate!
I believe...the Flame Demon lies just beyond that door.
Let's just go back to town, okay? I don't think we're really the right people for taking that thing on.

Fair warning: entering that door will immediately start the fight with Flame Demon. It's not like Chimaera where the game gives you a chance to go back to town after seeing it.

A few unlocks before we fight Flame Demon.

Fire Saker (+67 ATK, Normal attacks become Stab+Fire) is unlocked by selling 1 Frozen Iron. It's inferior to the King's Gun in most every way, but it is the best gun you can buy with normal 2nd Stratum monster drops.

Round Shield (+21 DEF) is unlocked by selling 5 White Crests. If you have a Landsknecht, Protector, or Highlander, it's probably a good time to upgrade their shield.

Beast Bell (Raises encounter rate) is unlocked by selling 3 Steel Horns. I've said it before, but an auto-walk path with your walk speed set to fast does the Beast Bell's job better than it.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Flame Demon pre-fight overview

Flame Demon
HP: 8790, STR: 26, VIT: 24
Skills:
  • Madness Roar: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict Panic (high chance) on the entire party.
  • Terror's Embrace: Uses the arms. Deals moderate Bash damage to one target with splash damage. Attempts to inflict Fear (moderate chance) on hit targets.
  • Kingly Fire: Uses the legs. Deals scaling Fire damage to the entire party--first cast is heavy, second is severe, and beyond that is severe-borderline-overkill.
  • Inferno Strike: Uses the arms. Deals heavy Fire damage to one target. Higher-than-average chance of targeting the back row.
  • Dispersed Cruelty: Uses the head. Attempts to place a physical/elemental attack debuff that lasts 5 turns on the entire party.
Drops:
  • Normal: Red Wings. Sells for 840 en. 1 needed to make Crimson Staff (+65 ATK, +3 TEC, Normal attacks deal Bash+Fire damage).
    "Oddly small wings for such a huge monster. Slightly warm, and retain some power yet."
  • Conditional: Glinting Claw (Kill on the first turn). 1 needed to make Crimson Eater (+209 ATK, +40 TP, +5 VIT).
    "Fragile swordlike claw of a demon in the red forest. Gain it by defeating one quickly."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash
  • Resist: Volt
  • Nullify: Fire
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Paralysis, Sleep, Curse, Leg bind
  • Weak: Poison, Arm bind
  • Nullify: Panic, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death

The demonic protector of the Auburn Thicket, who summons a dark inferno to ward off trespassers.

Flame Cube
HP: 580, STR: 0, VIT: 22
Skills:
  • Explosion: Cannot be disabled. Deals overkill Fire damage to the entire party. Kills the user after dealing damage.
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Volt
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Panic, Sleep, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun
  • Weak: Poison, Paralysis, Curse, Fear, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind

A gelatinous creature summoned by demons to detonate near enemies. Dispatch these swiftly!

Battle pattern:
  • Phase 1 (100% to 75% HP):
    • Turn 1: Madness Roar
    • Turn 2: Normal attack
    • Turn 3: Terror's Embrace
    • Flame Demon will loop this phase until she falls below 75%.
  • Phase 2:
    • End of previous turn: Summons 1 Flame Cube (front row, left of Flame Demon)
    • Turn 1 and 2: Whatever actions were upcoming from Phase 1
    • End of turn 2: Flame Demon and the Flame Cube (if it's alive) will prepare Kingly Fire and Explosion
    • Turn 3: Kingly Fire (+ Explosion if the Flame Cube is alive)
  • Phase 3 (75% to 50% HP):
    • Turn 1: Inferno Strike
    • Flame Demon will loop this phase until she falls below 50%.
  • Phase 4:
    • End of previous turn: Summons 2 Flame Cubes (front row)
    • Turn 1: Dispersed Cruelty
    • Turn 2: Whatever action was upcoming from Phase 3
    • End of turn 2: Flame Demon and the Flame Cubes (if they're alive) will prepare Kingly Fire and Explosion
    • Turn 3: Kingly Fire (+ Explosion for each alive Flame Cube)
  • Phase 5 (50% to 25% HP):
    • Turn 2: Inferno Strike
    • Turn 3: Normal attack
    • Turn 4: Terror's Embrace
    • Flame Demon will loop turns 2-4 until she falls below 25%.
  • Phase 6:
    • End of previous turn: Summons 2 Flame Cubes (back row)
    • Turn 2: Whatever action was upcoming from Phase 5
    • End of turn 2: Flame Demon and the Flame Cubes (if they're alive) will prepare Kingly Fire and Explosion
  • Phase 7 (25% to death):
    • Flame Demon will loop turns 2-4 until she dies.

(Note: If Flame Demon is stunned on the turn she's supposed to use Kingly Fire, she will keep trying to use it until it's succesful.)

Flame Demon is the first of many "all-or-nothing" bosses, as I call them, in EO2U. An all-or-nothing boss has either a set pattern, like Flame Demon here, or has something very close to it. They also may have summons, also like Flame Demon. Generally, all-or-nothing are bosses you either just completely steamroll due to being equipped to deal with their patterns with no issue, or get roadblocked by because:
  • Your party lacks the ability to effectively handle one or more parts of the boss's pattern. In Flame Demon's case, this can include not having a way to completely block Panic, as Madness Roar will tag most of your party normally.
  • Your party lacks the ability to kill summons quickly. Any boss that has summons in EO2U generally has some big move where the summons being alive basically either causes a game over or puts you really close to one. Worst case scenario, you are essentially given a time limit to kill each boss before you just lose due to your difficulty at dealing with summons.

So, here's the long and short of it: Flame Demon, like I said above, is either absurdly easy or a complete nightmare--this comes down not just to your general party composition, but what specific classes you have. If you have an overly defensive party that lacks an easy way to kill the Flame Cubes, Flame Demon will destroy you. If you have an overly offensive party that has plenty of ways to kill the Flame Cubes...Flame Demon will STILL destroy you, since you now lack methods to deal with her normal attacks and Kingly Fire itself. Bursting her down simply isn't an option without relying on really heavy cheese involving Grimoires of a higher level than you should have by this point, and a LOT of RNG. You have to build a party that can eat Flame Demon's attacks, easily deal with the Flame Cubes, and can still kill Flame Demon before you run out of TP. As for skills:

Madness Roar basically means you need either Prevent Order, or put Owl Earrings on all of your classes (or just your Medic, if that's what you're using). It's going to Panic either most or all of your party otherwise.

Terror's Embrace doesn't deal a ton of damage, especially through Front Guard. The Fear can seriously screw up your plans if your Protector or Beast gets hit with it, but otherwise just keep some Therica Bs or a row-target Refresh ready.

Kingly Fire is basically the crux of the fight. On its own, it already hurts, and is something you borderline need either Fire Wall or Fire Mists for. However, it is also what sets off Explosion, and if even one of those goes off, it's probably game over for you! Even Fire Wall won't help you, since that only procs once per character.

Inferno Strike is a free turn if you have a Protector or Fire Mists. Otherwise, it hits pretty hard, but the higher chance of hitting the back row means Flame Demon'll be eating the back row damage penalty for it.

Dispersed Cruelty really sucks if you don't have any way to purge it with a buff. It cuts your party's damage by somewhere from 30 to 50%.

Also, no, I am not going for the conditional drop. It's basically impossible without some really heavy cheese. With that in mind, let's go over party members:

Damage dealers:

Zack: Zack's an okay choice for Flame Demon. His damage isn't spectacular and his low max TP will mean he'll run out quite a bit before pretty much anyone else, but Falcon Slash really helps with dealing with Flame Cubes.

Freyja: If Sophie's in the party, Freyja has the potential to take a lot of the sting out of Flame Demon, since both of them can work together to put a bunch of binds on Flame Demon, followed up by Ecstasy, which will chop off a lot of Flame Demon's HP. On her own, Freyja can try to bind Flame Demon's legs to stop Kingly Fire, but she has no way to efficiently deal with the Flame Cubes, which can make her a serious liability if the party's lacking in all-target damage.

Stardust: Stardust is the best damage dealer for Flame Demon. Compressed Cocytus Formulas deal a lot of damage to Flame Demon herself, and uncompressed Cocytus Formulas (or Eschaton) make short work of Flame Cubes. Her high TEC plus the back row damage penalty also means she'll laugh off Inferno Strike if it targets her.

Asriel: Asriel's about on par with Zack in terms of usefulness in the Flame Demon fight. He can do a respectable amount of damage, and Flame Grater helps a little with the Cubes (the game will count Flame Grater as a Cut attack when calculating damage against Flame Demon and the Cubes), but his low LUC means he's very susceptible to being hit with the Fear from Inferno Strike. This is also one of the few boss fights where Issen is useful, since the Flame Cubes don't resist Instant Death.

Jackie: Jackie's honestly a bad choice for Flame Demon. The line-piercing capability of Charged Ice won't matter until the third summon phase, and Supreme Bolt can't buy a free turn when Flame Demon's supposed to use Kingly Fire.

Colette: Ailing Slash can hit Flame Demon pretty hard, but like always, Colette really needs either Nadia or Sophie to make it work. She also lacks all-target damage, meaning her best option for dealing with Flame Cubes is just targeting them one at a time.

Tyler: Spear Assist is as useful here as it was in the Chimaera fight, and Tyler now has a decently-leveled Delayed Charge to take advantage of as well. His Flame Cube-clearing capabilities aren't amazing, but he can help chip at them.

Ranger: There is not a single boss fight in the game where Ranger isn't a great choice. He can deal really heavy damage to Flame Demon, and Akashic Nova makes very short work of either the second or third Flame Cube summonings.

:siren: >>> Defense (this is really important) <<< :siren:

Phoebe: Flame Demon's completely predictable pattern means Phoebe really shines here. Front Guard will really help with Flame Demon's attacks and Terror's Embrace, and Fire Wall makes Inferno Strike a non-issue. She can also turn Kingly Fire into a free turn if we have a party that can easily kill the Cubes. The bold part's the really important part, since Fire Wall won't stop Explosion if the Cubes are still alive. Perfect Defense will give me one free phase to completely ignore the Cubes, and ONLY one.

Ursa: Ursa's a less safe option than Phoebe is, since Phoebe can just make the entire party functionally invulnerbale while Ursa still has to be healed, and she runs a high risk of getting Feared since she'll be tanking the splash damage from Terror's Embrace, too. True Endurance does the same thing that Perfect Defense does for Explosion, though--I can use it to give myself a phase where I can ignore the Cubes.

Support

Nadia: Nadia has two big things going for her in the Flame Demon fight. Firstly, Flame Demon doesn't resist both Blind and Paralysis, meaning she can get a lot of mileage out of both Blind and Paralysis arrow. Secondly, Summer Rain is one of the best ways to deal with the Flame Cubes, and it'll do a nice amount of damage to Flame Demon in the process as well.

Realga: Realga's main use is that I can put an Owl Earring on her and just have her cast Refresh on the Madness Roar turn, meaning I can save an equipment slot on everyone besides her. Outside of that, she still combos really well with Ursa, but her usefulness drops off while Phoebe's in the party--at that point, consumables will usually be enough.

Milly: Milly is the best option for just making the fight be over as soon as possible--not "one turn victory" quickness, but still very fast.

Sophie: Flame Demon is neutral to quite a few status ailments, and as noted above, Freyja + Sophie has the potential to be incredibly deadly.

Rheine: Bosses with all-party high-chance status ailments are severely less threatening when I have Prevent Order + Victory Vow. Aside from that, Rheine can help contribute some damage using Link Order and Link Order II if Stardust or Jackie are in the party.

Let's try something different with the votes, shall we? Four votes per person--however, each person must vote for one character from each category, along with one extra character from whatever category. (Any votes for my choice mean that I am subject to these rules when choosing, as well.) Flame Demon is a boss where your party composition is extremely important (well, moreso than usual), and I'm trying to reduce the likelihood I get something like "4 supports and Ranger." Even Ranger wouldn't help if I got stuck with something like that.

Rea fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 27, 2016

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

With how many characters you have, that's a pretty good idea for voting, honestly. Three just isn't cutting it, especially when you need a balanced party.

Let's go with Freyja, Phoebe, Sophie, and Stardust

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Frigid Slash is normally really nice to have for dealing with the cubes, but ronin have so many skills they want it's hard to have it at a decent level unless you're building for flame demon.

I'll say Stardust, Phoebe, Milly, Ranger.

Is Compression not making Frigid Slash single target might have to do with it being ice/slash, or is it just that skill? I never had an alchemist to get Palm grimoires off so I never checked other skills myself.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Tyty posted:

Is Compression not making Frigid Slash single target might have to do with it being ice/slash, or is it just that skill? I never had an alchemist to get Palm grimoires off so I never checked other skills myself.

I don't think there's any other all-target innately-composite damage attacks, so yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the bug at least has something to do with that. I don't think Compression has any weird interaction with composite damage types created by Palm skills, though.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Stardust, Phoebe, Milly, Zack

This is where the less good parts of EO2U start showing themselves.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Freyja, Sophie, Phoebe, Rheine

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The boss fights in this game are really awful. For some reason they decided to give the bosses the EO post-game superboss treatment, where they have a very elaborate attack pattern that can completely brick wall certain parties if you do not have very specific skills to deal with their attacks. That worked about as well as you would expect. And if you do know their attack pattern, the bosses are insultingly easy. Not really much middle ground there. (Except in Story where that just grants you survival. Boss fights are really painful there. :suicide:)

Jackie, Colette, Ursa, Milly.

Tyty posted:

Frigid Slash is normally really nice to have for dealing with the cubes, but ronin have so many skills they want it's hard to have it at a decent level unless you're building for flame demon.

I'll say Stardust, Phoebe, Milly, Ranger.

I think the Compression bug affects AOE physicals in general.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I've ranted extensively about Flame Demon in particular in the megathread (especially how hard she can block SCCs) so I'll spare you guys the rehash, but :argh: :argh: :argh:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Let's go with... Asriel, Phoebe, Nadia, and Freyja

Shed some spotlight on characters who haven't got a ton of play

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ragnar Homsar posted:

:siren: >>> Defense (this is really important) <<< :siren:
Awesome, time to make Ragnar fight Flame Demon without any defe-

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Let's try something different with the votes, shall we? Four votes per person--however, each person must vote for one character from each category, along with one extra character from whatever category. (Any votes for my choice mean that I am subject to these rules when choosing, as well.) Flame Demon is a boss where your party composition is extremely important (well, moreso than usual), and I'm trying to reduce the likelihood I get something like "4 supports and Ranger." Even Ranger wouldn't help if I got stuck with something like that.

Freyja, Ursa, Sophie, Rheine

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 27, 2016

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Freyja, Phoebe, Sophie, Stardust

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Scrap Dragon posted:

I wasn't going to vote but I agree with this so I'll just back this vote.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Awesome, time to make Ragnar fight Flame Demon without any defe-

in any other EO game this could be workable, in eo2u it is literally "have antifire or die" outside of ridiculous cheese tactics that require lv20 skills

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hivac posted:

in any other EO game this could be workable, in eo2u it is literally "have antifire or die" outside of ridiculous cheese tactics that require lv20 skills
Well, no, it isn't, but it's way too goddamn close.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Freyja, Ursa, Milly, Asriel

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

theshim posted:

Well, no, it isn't, but it's way too goddamn close.

I can't remember if you're talking about 5gunners or not

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hivac posted:

I can't remember if you're talking about 5gunners or not

5gunners, 5survivalists was probably possible, but I forget if he actually got it done, 5goddamnmedics...

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Oh, hello. Another dinosaur.
OH GODS ANOTHER DINOSAUR!

Wrong music there chief, should probably be The First Campaign instead of the first stratum theme. Mixing up two firsts is pretty understandable though.

Freyja
Sophie
Colette
Ursa

Status ailments, binds, and skills that work better with those are fun. Though Ursa instead of Nadia, to respect the voting rules. I like Ursa over Phoebe because disabling kingly fire with the above status effects/binds feels more interesting/risky/tension-inducing than just launching antifire on the exact right turn every time.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 27, 2016

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Scrap Dragon posted:

Yes. This please.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Freyja, Phoebe, Sophie, Milly

theshim
May 1, 2012

Supremezero posted:

5gunners, 5survivalists was probably possible, but I forget if he actually got it done, 5goddamnmedics...
Survivalists have the problem where they don't do any loving damage. They're actually incredibly effective dodgetanks with all the buffs layered on, but it requires constant use of Scapegoat to actually be effective, and you run out of TP way, way, way before you can kill her.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Rawkking posted:

Wrong music there chief, should probably be The First Campaign instead of the first stratum theme. Mixing up two firsts is pretty understandable though.

Whoops. That's fixed now.

Supremezero posted:

5goddamnmedics...

I was the one who did that! :v: It worked because Medics have higher VIT than you'd expect out of back line supports, and very high TEC, so elementals don't do a ton to them and physical attacks do less than you'd expect. Combine that with alternating between two back liners using Overheal and 3 front liners dealing around 3000% damage a turn with Vital Hit and you end up with a surprisingly good team.

...Until the postgame, where you start needing either a Protector or Beast due to big-damage nukes being thrown around.

Current vote results are:

quote:

Freyja: 11
Phoebe: 9
Sophie: 6
Milly: 5
Asriel: 4
Ursa: 4
Stardust: 4

Nadia: 3
Colette: 2
Rheine: 2
Ranger: 1
Zack: 1
Jackie: 1
Tyler: 0
Realga: 0

theshim
May 1, 2012

Yeah, it turns out that Vital Hit is actually kinda batshit if you can sustain Overheals :getin:

I guess I should vote, huh? Howzabout Phoebe, Sophie, Milly and Stardust.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
Stardust, Ranger, Phoebe, Milly

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rawkking posted:

Status ailments, binds, and skills that work better with those are fun. Though Ursa instead of Nadia, to respect the voting rules. I like Ursa over Phoebe because disabling kingly fire with the above status effects/binds feels more interesting/risky/tension-inducing than just launching antifire on the exact right turn every time.

Unfortunately, that's not really a reliable strategy. Flame Demon doesn't resist leg binds, but that only works once before becoming really risky. You'd either need multiple status effects (heavily dependent on party composition, and you might not have enough skill points to get all those at a decent level) or stall out the 10 turns so the accumulative resistance can wear off. I really wish they didn't make it so that stuns only push back the turn Flame Demon tries to cast Kingly Fire on. What's the purpose of that? The new Force system nerfed The Gunner's Force Break enough. All that does is restrict your options for dealing with the fight.

(For the record, there is nothing stopping you from farming up multiple Fire Wall Grimoires and using those to deal with the Kingly Fire turns, other than RNG.)

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Since it seems like everyone who wanted to vote has, the final results are:

quote:

Freyja: 11
Phoebe: 11
Sophie: 7
Milly: 7
Stardust: 6

Ursa: 4
Asriel: 4
Nadia: 3
Ranger: 2
Colette: 2
Rheine: 2
Jackie: 1
Zack: 1
Realga: 0
Tyler: 0

Yes. Yes this will do. This will do very nicely.

(I did a test recording with that party earlier. 5 turn victory. I wonder if I can get it lower? :getin:)

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Since it seems like everyone who wanted to vote has, the final results are:

Yes. Yes this will do. This will do very nicely.

(I did a test recording with that party earlier. 5 turn victory. I wonder if I can get it lower? :getin:)

If you do some grimoire shuffling to maximize turn economy it's very possible

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I am sad to report that I only managed a 5 turn victory again. It would've been 4 but one of Flame Demon's binds fell off on the Crusade turn. Oh well, given that I have basically no useful Grimoires on at all I think that's pretty decent!

Update either late tonight or tomorrow.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's weird how the name's changed from Hellion to the subname instead.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

It's weird how the name's changed from Hellion to the subname instead.

Flame Demon was actually her name in the Japanese version of EO2. However, the first 2 EO games we got had character limitations, and were limited to 8 letters per skill and enemy. Hellion was the replacement they came up with for the English version. Of course now they aren't restricted by that, so they're putting the original names back in.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 18: Five-Turn Firefight

A'ight, everyone. Let's get the Duchy's mission over with.
Are...are we going to be okay? I haven't been on the team since the first two floors...
You'll be fine, Freyja. Just keep calm.
Why do these jerks have to get so much out of my dances? I hate going in that tree.
Hmm. I wonder what the Flame Demon is made of...

Meet the Flame Demon party. Freyja and Sophie are the stars this time around, as they can both work together to set up incredibly high damage output with Ecstasy. Stardust is here for backup elemental damage, and Milly will make Ecstasy dish out even higher damage. Phoebe'll also render most of the Flame Demon's attacks either negligible or completely irrelevant.

Here's everyone's active skills. I kind of wish Freyja had one more level of Ecstasy, but oh well.

A-alright. Here we are. Ready to fight some kinda eternal monster.
Steel your nerves, Milly. Everyone else ready?
Ready.
Hungry.
L-let's... Let's go!

SYSTEM: Within it, you find osmething large and squat looming there.

What the HELL is that thing?!
Aw. She's all fat.
SYSTEM: Now quell your fears, draw your weapons, and slay the demon!

The world will thank us for this, you abomination!

:siren: VIDEO: Boss: Flame Demon :siren:

From the Flame Demon pre-fight overview:

quote:

Flame Demon
HP: 8790, STR: 26, VIT: 24
Skills:
  • Madness Roar: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict Panic (high chance) on the entire party.
  • Terror's Embrace: Uses the arms. Deals moderate Bash damage to one target with splash damage. Attempts to inflict Fear (moderate chance) on hit targets.
  • Kingly Fire: Uses the legs. Deals scaling Fire damage to the entire party--first cast is heavy, second is severe, and beyond that is severe-borderline-overkill.
  • Inferno Strike: Uses the arms. Deals heavy Fire damage to one target. Higher-than-average chance of targeting the back row.
  • Dispersed Cruelty: Uses the head. Attempts to place a physical/elemental attack debuff that lasts 5 turns on the entire party.
Drops:
  • Normal: Red Wings. Sells for 840 en. 1 needed to make Crimson Staff (+65 ATK, +3 TEC, Normal attacks deal Bash+Fire damage).
    "Oddly small wings for such a huge monster. Slightly warm, and retain some power yet."
  • Conditional: Glinting Claw (Kill on the first turn). 1 needed to make Crimson Eater (+209 ATK, +40 TP, +5 VIT).
    "Fragile swordlike claw of a demon in the red forest. Gain it by defeating one quickly."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash
  • Resist: Volt
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Paralysis, Sleep, Curse, Leg bind
  • Weak: Poison, Arm bind
  • Nullify: Panic, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death

The demonic protector of the Auburn Thicket, who summons a dark inferno to ward off trespassers.

Flame Cube
HP: 580, STR: 0, VIT: 22
Skills:
  • Explosion: Cannot be disabled. Deals overkill Fire damage to the entire party. Kills the user after dealing damage.
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Volt
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Panic, Sleep, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun
  • Weak: Poison, Paralysis, Curse, Fear, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind

A gelatinous creature summoned by demons to detonate near enemies. Dispatch these swiftly!

Battle pattern:
  • Phase 1 (100% to 75% HP):
    • Flame Demon will loop this phase until she falls below 75%.
  • Phase 2:
    • End of previous turn: Summons 1 Flame Cube (front row, left of Flame Demon)
    • Turn 1 and 2: Whatever actions were upcoming from Phase 1
    • End of turn 2: Flame Demon and the Flame Cube (if it's alive) will prepare Kingly Fire and Explosion
    • Turn 3: Kingly Fire (+ Explosion if the Flame Cube is alive)
  • Phase 3 (75% to 50% HP):
    • Turn 1: Inferno Strike
    • Flame Demon will loop this phase until she falls below 50%.
  • Phase 4:
    • End of previous turn: Summons 2 Flame Cubes (front row)
    • Turn 2: Whatever action was upcoming from Phase 3
  • Phase 5 (50% to 25% HP):
    • Flame Demon will loop turns 2-4 until she falls below 25%.
  • Phase 6:
    • End of previous turn: Summons 2 Flame Cubes (back row)
    • Turn 2: Whatever action was upcoming from Phase 5
  • Phase 7 (25% to death):
    • Flame Demon will loop turns 2-4 until she dies.

Flame Demon basically comes down to: can you quickly kill the Flame Cubes? If so, great! If not, screw you, enjoy your nightmare fight. Thankfully, Stardust is a very effective Cube killer, so we don't have to worry much about that. 8790 HP is a lot to chew through, but Freyja, Milly, and Sophie will make it go by very quickly.

Phoebe has nothing to do on this first turn.

Flame Demon's weak to arm binds, so I'll have Freyja take care of that since the whip skills' bind chances and Freyja's LUC means she has a lower chance of inflicting binds than Sophie.

Stardust has opened basically opened every big fight so far with Compression, and this fight is no exception.

Milly'll basically open every fight with Warrior Song for the rest of the game.

Binding Flame Demon's head is basically a necessity, since I'll get hosed over by Madness Roar otherwise.

Get that thing outta my sight!

How... How did you tie up something that big?
Elbows are...easier to tie than you'd think.

Hee hee hee! Okay, that's one body part down.

Mmph... Mrph... Blech! I got to the brains...

Two down! Ohhhh, this is gonna be fun.

Toooooo bad!

Eh.

Phoebe still has her starting Dagger equipped, and Protectors have bad STR.

Flame Demon's arm bind will render her normal attack already basically-harmless, and Front Guard will make it laughable.

Let the fun begin, heh heh. Remember that Trance doubles damage to enemies with binds or ailments.

Stardust will do what she does best.

Milly doesn't really need to use War Song, per se, but it'll lengthen Compression's duration. I have her cast Fire Prelude on Freyja to boost her damage even further.

Let's go for the mythical 3-binds-at-once.

Try it, big-and-yellow.

Oh... Oh my. I didn't know lashing that way was so effective...
Niiiiiiice.
Oh my gods. What are you?

Eeeeeahahaha! Behold, Ecstasy! Consider that Flame Demon only has two binds currently, and Ecstasy is only level 9.

Yawn.

Aw.

It's nice...but it's not Ecstasy.

Gonna need more than that, Flame Demon.

Ew... Her leg meat tastes rotten.

Those...those binds are quite sturdy.

Stardust had Fire Prelude cast on her this turn, for comparison to her earlier Cocytus Formula.

Aw, come on, the arm bind seriously fell off? I wanted to show off the 3-bind damage!

Alright, let's just end the fight then. No point in dragging it out.

Why not?

Freyja has dealt around 4400 damage, by the way. That's just a little short of half of Flame Demon's HP.

I'm just hitting all the perfect dice rolls today.

Flame Demon's damage was already bad, but Crusade's just kicking her while she's down.

I won't lose to Freyja.
We're...we're competing?

Aaaaaah, it's looking mean!

Everything'll be fine.

This was utterly extraneous, since Flame Demon's legs are still bound.

See?

You'll be looking up, at the grass.

You have no idea how cathartic that fight was for me. Flame Demon took me around 12 tries or so on my first run, and I'm still salty about that.

We did it...!
Hm! We make an excellent team, Freyja. I wish the Flame Demon was made of tasty meat, but oh well.
Ha. It's just too easy.
SYSTEM: It is deceased beyond a doubt. No longer will it rise to terrorize High Lagaard's explorers! You have succeeded in defeating the Flame Demon which nests in the scarlet forest! You consider briefly returning to town in order to report your feat to the Grand Duchy. Though the unknown floors that lie ahead are tempting as well...
Alright, I'm kinda curious. What've we got coming up?

Um. Does anyone feel a draft coming from the stairs?

I-I-I am n-n-not dressed for this!
A-achoo! I-I'll have to pack a heavy coat next time...
Hm. Warm sun, red leaves, and then snow... I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

Living in central California, which is largely just barely above sea level, I've never had a snow day in my normal life, so I'm something of a sucker for snow environments in video games. I really like the Frozen Ground's visual design, and its music is pretty great too.

L-l-let's just go report the m-mission.

Well done! You did a marvelous job in defeating the demon. This puts you among the elite rank of explorers skilled enough to challenge the third Stratum. Not many in High Lagaard ever achieve such strength...
Hm. What'd you expect? We're the best guild in Lagaard, obviously.
Your confidence suits you, but do not get carried away as your adventures continue. Ah yes, and as Minister of the Grand Duchy, allow this old man to present your reward.

You've outdone yourself this time! It pains me to interfere with your triumph, but... Guild Lumen, will you heed an old man's request?
We're in too deep now to refuse. What's the mission this time?
I'm sure you remember your mission to help create the medicine for the Duke. But I fear the Fire Plume you retrieved for us...will not be enough.
...I beg your pardon? I thought the Panacea was made from the Fire Plume?
Only lately have we determined the other ingredients necessary to save the Duke's life. Would you be so good as to lend us your strength to find the rest of them?

We...really have no choice by this point, Minister.
Then you'll help us? Many thanks... I'll waste no more time in explaining. Your next objective, the Snow Bloom, grows on the 12th floor within the Frozen Grounds. I had assumed it woul dbe a fairly easy task, and sent in the guard corps... But not a single member has yet returned with a Snow Bloom. Guild Lume, I believe you are our best hope in the matter. Go to the 12th floor and work with the soldiers there to obtain the Snow Blooms. We need four flowers in total. I realize it's a lot to ask, but we're counting on you.

We'll tackle that once we actually reach 12F. For now, here's Dubois's 11F dialogue.

Oh, hello, explorers. You don't appear well... Are you feeling ill?
Do I--aaaaachoo!--look like I'm dressed for that new stratum?!
...Ah, so you have reached the next Stratum. From what I hear, it seems to be a forest of snow... It seems your hardships never end. The winters of High Lagaard are often very harsh. The climate can be as cruel as the monsters... It will be quite a difficult path for you, but I believe that you will be able to overcome this. I bid you good luck, and I look forward to your safe return.

Onto Hanna and Quona.

We need to pick a party more...well-dressed for the Frozen Grounds, but yeah, we're probably going back in later.
Oh, well, that's a shame. I was thinking about asking you to help me with something. There's a big sale going on nearby, and I'll need people to come with me to lend a hand. Oh, don't worry about it, I can just ask some people at the bar. It's not like they've got anything better to do. Oh... I could ask Quona to come, too. She's become so dependable these days!
She does seem to have...greater resolve, I guess, since we met her.
She looks just like I did when I was younger...so I'm a little worried to let her go on her own. Bahaha!

...Um, next I need to go buy supplies... ...Oh, it's you all... We've had a lot more customers at the inn recently... ...So I get to help with Mom's work a lot more, now... ...A-And Mom's really happy to see that. Hee hee, it makes me really happy too...

Moving over to Abigail.

I'm s-still cold. W-what do you mean by that, though?
Oh, no, it' snot that I don't believe in you! I-It's just... I'm a little worried about all of you, you know? I guess explorers are pretty used to being in dangerous situations... But please be careful, okay?
We always are, Abigail. Don't worry.

Crimson Staff (+65 ATK, +3 TEC, Normal attacks become Bash+Fire) is unlocked by selling 1 Small Wings. The TEC bonus is slightly more than what we've been getting on staves so far, so it's probably a good idea to put one on Alchemists and Sovereigns.

Let's check in on Regina, too.

D-did my sh-shivering give it away?
You're still feeling cold? This is probably something Realga should look at...
In colder areas, animals tend to store more fat in their bodies, and vegetables tend to be sweeter, too. In harsher environments, living things store more nutrients within their bodies to keep them going. ...Aren't you going to go back into the Labyrinth and get me more ingredients...?
Not with this party.
Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to rush you... It's just... I'm kind of anxious to get to work on new recipes.

I've only just gotten all the ingredients of the 2nd Stratum, so let's get cracking at cooking.

Fanged Sandwich is made with 1 Vine Head (Fanged Vine) and 4 Stiff Leg Meats (Giant Moa), and slightly raises the amount of materials you get from gathering points. It's 100% outclassed by the Yggdrasil Bud Tea.

Autumn Pot-au-feu is made with 4 Scarlet Yams (Auburn Thicket Mine) and 3 Boar Thighs (Raging Boar), and it builds Force every few steps you take in the Labyrinth. It does nothing if someone's Force is broken. Absolute trash.

Persimmon Pudding is made with 3 Red Persimmons (Auburn Thicket Chop), 2 Liquid Red Gels (Red Gel), and 2 Dragon Fruits (Attack Cactus), and slightly raises the rate at which you encounter rare breeds. That's probably the least efficient way of using food to help with grinding.

Gibier Curry Rice is made with 3 Deer Shoulders (Actaeon), 3 Scarlet Yams (Auburn Thicket Mine), and 1 Root Chili (Auburn Thicket Mine). It increases the entire party's max HP by 50%, and it's incredibly useful, especially with a team that's already very durable.

Odd Ishiyaki Pot is made with 1 Strange Stone (Odd Statue), and 4 Stiff Leg Meats (Giant Moa), and turns Bravants and Stonards into row-target instead of single-target. Meh.

Boar Tonjiru is made with 4 Boar Thighs (Raging Boar) and 3 Leeks (Auburn Thicket Take). It adds an Ice element to your entire party's attacks for 1 turn, and it's as useless as the last elemental attack food was.

Chestnut Chakin Shibori is made with 4 Oni Chestnuts (Auburn Thicket Chop) and 4 Scarlet Yams (Auburn Thicket Mine). It slightly increases the chance of getting Active Grimoire Chances. Yawn.

Autumn Dango is made with 2 Liquid Red Gels (Red Gel), 2 Small Soybeans (Auburn Thicket Take), and 2 Dragon Fruits (Attack Cactus). It triples the damage enemies take from Curse, which is useful for the handful of enemies that have conditionals tied to dying to Curse damage.

Mala Inferno Pot is made with 2 Fire Heartwoods (Tree Sponge), 5 Deer Shoulders (Actaeon), and 1 Root Chili (Auburn Thicket Mine). It reduces the damage your party takes from status ailments--this halves the damage taken from Poison and Curse, and cuts the TP lost from Fear in half.

Sweet and Sour Moa is made with 4 Stiff Leg Meats (Giant Moa) and 2 Leeks (Auburn Thicket Take), and blocks all ailments thrown at your party for 3 turns after the start of a fight. Very useful for quite a few boss fights if you don't have a Sovereign or high-level War Magus.

Chestnut Moon Cake is made with 2 Oni Chestnuts (Auburn Thicket Chop), 4 Small Soybeans (Auburn Thicket Take), and 2 Scarlet Yams (Auburn Thicket Mine), and greatly increases the entire party's resistance to leg binds. There's a few bosses that seriously screw you over with leg binds, so this can be useful.

Dragon Jelly is made with 2 Dragon Fruits (Attack Cactus) and 3 Red Persimmons (Auburn Thicket Chop), and greatly increases the entire party's resistance to Paralysis. See my note above.

I also made some town improvements, since it's been a long while since the last time.

New advertising campaign, too.

With that out of the way, let's chat up Marion.

I've seen it with my own eyes...but it makes me wonder what kind of forces are causing such a drastic difference in climate.
I'd personally be willing to settle with "magic tree."
You might not be aware, but the winters here can be fairly harsh. Make sure you're prepared. You'll catch colds if you try to keep exploring in thin clothes like those.
...Freyja and Milly are here, and you describe their clothes as "thin." Okay.
Scarves might help too. Well, that's all I have to say for now. Try to avoid any unnecessary risks.

And last on the Talk list, Cass.

Everyone's talking 'bout that huge fiend yeh beat down on the 10th floor! Go on! Tell us yer story!
I...I think it's safe to say I did most of the work...
The rest of us just kind of sat back and helped a bit.
Oh c'mon, don't hold out on us. This ain't the time for modesty. Go on! Yeh got an audience here!
I ain't much of a storyteller, Cass. The fight wasn't that interestin', anyway.
...Yeh really just gonna sit there and act like it ain't a big deal? Man... Yeh're no fun at all! Yeh kids need to learn how to let loose. Work's fine, but so's relaxing...so c'mon! Let's chat!

Lotta bar patrons this time around.

Adventurers in matching gear:

Ey, have a drink! C'mon! You drinkin'? We just got back from...from...*sob*
*sob* The hell was that thing? What did we do t'deserve this...
See, it's that Snow Ghost, right? Spooky bastards. A ton of 'em just came at us.
An' we got 'em all except one, y'see?
And guess what happened!? Y'know what it did?
It...it...it biggified! Got all huge!
...I know we cornered it... I know that it's tryin' t'survive too, y'know? I'm reasonable. But...still, goin' all biggified...!?
*sob* ...I don't get it. We were in for a big one back there... A really big one. Y'know. Literal-like.
...Okay then. A talking tiger? I've seen that Medic somewhere before, too...

We'll see Snow Ghosts once we start going into the stratum.

Fidgeting hunter:

Oh? You're from Lumen, yeah? I'm Marmott. Heard you've been looking after our little troublemaker.
...Huh?
...I guess that's not much to go on. Well, you know that idiot you always see collapsed at the bar? Tramonte? I'm in her guild. That moron isn't even here today... You hear what happened? She was trying to get a Sliced Forewing, all slashing away at a Jumbo Dragonfly...and of course she got slashed instead. It was for Lilly this time, too... Does she really need to try that hard for her? Honsetly, I don't even get why she likes Lilly so much.

Another hint about conditionals. We get it for free this time.

Bizarrely-dressed merchant:

Bam! Look at this, Flash Grenade! You know about this?
Yep.
Whoa, I guess my competition's rough here. Adventurers really are well-informed.

One-eyed gunner:

I've just heard some more bad news... I'm...I'm sorry that I'm being so gloomy. A lot of people come from far and wide to this town of High Lagaard. As long as you have a good reason, like adventuring, they accept you as a denizen of the Duchy... A godsend for travelers. But as a result...so many end up gone. Some simply don't fit in, and take their leave, but so many others...end up...
...You've been in High Lagaard for some time, now. Maybe you've noticed it too. With each day that passes...even here, in the bar...the familiar faces vanish, one by one...
I don't think I'll ever forget...having to help bury Hrothgar and Wulfgar...

Conversations like these always seemed off to me. It just doesn't really mesh well with what exploring's like from the player's perspective. Kinda reminds me of Almaz's death in Disgaea 3 and the sudden serious tone every character took--just doesn't really match the rest of the game's tone, y'know?

Boy with a stick:

Do you know about Lumen? All my friends say they're really cool now.
Do they now?
I wanna meet them. I wonder what kind of people they are... Who do y'think's stronger? Them, or Esbat?
Hmm... I'd say they're equal.
My friend says Esbat is definitely stronger, but I think them and Lumen would be pretty evenly matched, right!? ...I never met them, though! Eheheh.

The 11F quests. The bottom one is another Ginnungagap quest.

Haw! Figured yeh'd take that one. It's got yer name all over it. The ruins yeh went to--the place called Ginnungagap... They want yeh to explore through it a little more.
Aw, come on, that musty pit again?
I ain't too clear on the details, but from the sounds of things, it used to be a sacred place of some kind. And obviously the Palace ain't gonna tolerate monsters stinkin' up some old sanctuary. So they want yeh to go further into the ruins. Check out the 2nd floor, and if yeh find any monsters, shut 'em down. There's stairs on the first level that'll take yeh to the 2nd floor. Remember to be careful, yeh lot.

Next, The iron-walled garrison:

Oh, yeh saw that quest? The reward is a Garrison piece! The client owns a shop, and I hear he's a collector of the Master Craftsman's pieces. He's sayin' that he'll trade yeh his Garrison if yeh bring him the pieces he wants. But there are two problems...
Of course.
The first is that the requester wants 5 Guard pieces...
Five?!
The second would be that I got no idea where yeh could possibly find 5 Guard pieces... Yeh lot do have one Guard already, but yeh can't just give him up if yeh want to trade up to a Princess... So I guess yer only option is to just go find 5 more Guard pieces so yeh can reach the Princess! Haw haw!

Lastly, A culinary crusade:

Oh, so...about that quest... C'mere for a second.
Somethin' bothering you, Cass?
Can't have anyone hearin' this. That quest is from someone kinda high up. Apparently it's a matter of international affaris, so...can't really yap about it here.
I-i-international affairs?! Why are they posting this as a quest?
There's a seat saved for the VIP in the corner, so go ask the fella in that seat. ...Make sure yeh really try on this one, yeh lot.

Oh, are you not Lumen? The same one that shares a close relationship with FOEbucks?
We effectively run the place.
Well, well, well! Please take a seat. Hey, owner. Three more plates of spare ribs, if you don't mind? You should eat, too. It's hardly the classiest place, but the food is magnificent. Now, the quest... The owner must have told you as much, but since it is a rather delicate matter, I can't offer too much background... ...You see, an important figure from a country nearby is scheduled to visit this town soon. He quite enjoys walking around to eat, and he really likes the town stores. But I'm afraid he has very particular tastes. Not just any dish will do...
Hmm. So where do we come in?
And so...I would like you to bring this recipe to Miss Regina at FOEbucks.

Oh, hello there, free recipe book.

If Miss Regina is able to cook all these dishes, then our guest is bound to be thrilled! I would like to ask you to support her in this endeavor. Think of it as...a natrual extension of the Minister's requests, mm? Once she has mastered every dish on this menu, could you please come back and report to me? Oh! Right, right... I'll repeat myself just in case. This is a secret from Minister Dubois, so...use discretion.

It'll be a while before we can cook every recipe in Western Food 3.

So taking on The iron-walled garrison triggers this when we walk into Sitoth next:

Wait, hold on, I just need to clean this area first... Oh no! S-Sorry, I slipped, I was just organizing today's incoming items. After I clean them, I have to give them to my father so he can check their condition. Some stuff needs repairs, and some things need to be cleaned. We need to make sure everything we sell is beautiful!
That shipment wouldn't happen to have any chess pieces, would it?
Huh? A chess piece? Hmm... Oh, that reminds me, my father did leave a few on the shelves... Phew... Wow, this is really beautiful... This is by that Master Craftsman! There's 5 total pieces here, wearing the armor of High Lagaard's Guards.
WE'LL BUY THEM RIGHT NOW. How much are they?!
Oh, the price? P-Please wait, let me go check... W-Wow...these are pretty expensive! It says that it'll be 2500 en for the full set of 5...
We'll take it!
Um... 500, 1000, 1500... Yes, that's exactly 2500 en! Thank you very much! I'll explain it to my father, so it'll be fine! I'll do my best! Here, this is yours now! Take a look around the store, and let me know if there's anything else you need!

Oh, yeh're back. Haw, did yeh manage to get 'em? Don't be so modest, just lemme see. Heh...never thought I'd see a whole five of 'em together. Look at 'em. lined up all nice and neat. Awright, this is yer reward. Yeh did a great job! Awright then, I'll see yeh next time!

We now have two of the five chess pieces.

Ice Wall now costs 14 TP instead of 16.

I max out Ecstasy since the TP increase was only 6, and Freyja probably won't be casting it too often anyway.

Minor boost to Inferno Formula.

Putting more points into Fire Prelude.

And lastly, maxing out Blinding Curse.

Rea fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 13, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
With a new Stratum comes the time for voting on a new party.

Zack: If you think Zack's changed much in terms of what he can do since the last time we saw him, well, I dunno what to tell you. He still helps quite a bit with clearing out random encounters and is quite a bit more durable than most other front liners, but his damage is still slightly lower than most everyone else.

Nadia: Nadia, much like Zack, hasn't changed a ton since we saw her. Blind/Paralysis Arrow being maxed out now means I can start having her either learn to dodge-tank, or just go straight for Hazy Arrow.

Phoebe: Lots of encounters in the 3rd Stratum start throwing around really big damage--and by really big damage, I mean enough to either severely injure or one-shot almost everyone in the guild. Phoebe helps a LOT with that, even if she basically deals no damage.

Freyja: Binds also help with the whole "enemies are very deadly at the start" thing, although Freyja's probably in for some serious pain if she doesn't actually land the binds.

Realga: Realga's primary purpose during normal exploration is still letting me save a lot of money (and time) buying Medica IIs and Nectars.

Stardust: Almost everything in the 3rd Stratum is weak to Fire, which means Inferno Formula will end almost every encounter we come across.

Milly: Milly isn't that fantastic for random encounters, to be honest, but she can help immensely if I decide that my characters have lived for far too long and decide to take on an FOE or two.

Asriel: Flame Grater's useful for the same reason that Inferno Formula is useful. Aside from that, Asriel still doesn't have much to offer that other characters can't provide as well.

Sophie: Status ailments are really, really good in the 3rd Stratum, and neutralize a LOT of the threat of most random encounters. Sophie also makes most FOE fights significantly easier.

Jackie: Much like Zack and Asriel, Jackie hasn't changed much since se last saw her, but Fire Rounds and Charged Fire both help with dealing with random encounters quite a bit.

Colette: There's an FOE on 12F where Colette can deal some serious damage to it at the start, but after that, she'll still need either Nadia or Sophie in the party to help.

Ursa: Ursa's tankier enough than most of our front liners that she can probably survive tanking most things being thrown our way. I wouldn't recommend stacking her with Phoebe, though.

Rheine: Rheine combos well with Stardust and Jackie thanks to Link Order II, which is a considerable help when clearing out random encounters.

Tyler: Tyler hasn't changed a ton since 1 update ago when we last saw him. He still deals a lot of Stab damage, and still works best when Stardust or Jackie are on the team.

Ranger: Ranger is really sub-optimal for doing actual dungeon crawling and random encounters, but is one of our best options for just smashing FOEs, especially with Milly.

4 votes per person. I won't impose category limits like I did for Flame Demon, but please try to avoid giving me a really unworkable party.

Rea fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 28, 2016

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Asriel, Nadia, Ursa, and Jackie

Haven't seen these people in a while, so why not?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Freyja, Ursa, Sophie, Ragnar's choice

theshim
May 1, 2012

I applaud your dunking skill.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Living in central California, which is largely just barely above sea level, I've never had a snow day in my normal life, so I'm something of a sucker for snow environments in video games. I really like the Frozen Ground's visual design, and its music is pretty great too.
Whatup California buddy :hfive: Grew up in LA, we had to drive a few hours to see snow. These days I'm trapped in the hellhole known as New York. please send help Oddly, I like the original DS version more than the arrange for the stratum theme, but it's still really good either way.

Gonna say Zack, Asriel, Jackie and Ranger

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Ursa, Asriel, Collete, Jackie

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Ursa, Zack, Collete, Ranger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We had Girl Team take care of the Demon, so it's only logical to let the guys do stuff now. Asriel, Zack, Tyler, Ranger.

• Locked thread