Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Minecraft patch is up. Does some small fixes and stuff, the bigger update that brings new stuff is under works.

Speaking of patches, wasn't Fast Racing Neo supposed to get one this month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

greatn posted:

If that dude is leaving Nintendo after precisely 25 years it sounds like retirement.

Lots of companies have financial incentives for years like that yeah. Like if you're 24 and gonna retire you stay the extra year because you get a bunch more severance.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

codenameFANGIO posted:

Everyone loves jivjov.

Jivjov is a ghost, but also a friend :ghost:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Street Fighter 5
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-
Mortal Kombat X
Pokkén Tournament
Killer Instinct
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Tekken 7

I'm honestly surprised to see 2 Smash Bros games there, the official stance on smash bros on EVO used to be straight up "it's not a fighting game".

Maybe they finally realized the fighting game where Nintendo characters fight each other is actually a fighting game after all.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

Everyone loves jivjov.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Macaluso posted:

Maybe they finally realized the fighting game where Nintendo characters fight each other is actually a fighting game after all.

No, it's just really popular

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Macaluso posted:

Smash is there twice, because people cannot let Melee go. No matter what happens to Smash as a franchise, there is a very vocal group of people that will not accept it, because it's "not like Melee". It's like how 3rd Strike, while a fine game, is, in many circles, still more competitive than any other incarnation of the series. People cannot accept change.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Or people just like that sort of play style because of the quirks in the engine, or they don't trust Smash 4 yet because Brawl introduced tripping.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Houle posted:

Or people just like that sort of play style because of the quirks in the engine, or they don't trust Smash 4 yet because Brawl introduced tripping.

That still falls under

Takoluka posted:

People cannot accept change.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Houle posted:

Smash 4 is good and doesn't have tripping, though. I'll concede that melee might still be faster-paced? I don't know, I haven't played melee since like 2006.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbf Brawl had some dumb changes that made it really unfun for competitive players; had it played like 4, people might've moved on as a whole. As it is, both are at EVO is because they have large, disparate playerbases unlike SFIV and V (which would've had crossover), which means more money.

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 27, 2016

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Takoluka posted:

Smash is there twice, because people cannot let Melee go. No matter what happens to Smash as a franchise, there is a very vocal group of people that will not accept it, because it's "not like Melee". It's like how 3rd Strike, while a fine game, is, in many circles, still more competitive than any other incarnation of the series. People cannot accept change.

I'm confused. So if you like something and the people who made it make a new thing, you have to stop enjoying the old thing entirely? People still play Melee because people still enjoy it. Just like Japan still plays SF2.

People talk about old games like they're a long-dead relative or something. It's loving videogames, play the videogame you think is fun, Jesus Christ it's not rocket science.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It comes off as odd because there have been several new iterations of the same game with improvements. Kind of like people who still use Windows 95 or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

It comes off as odd because there have been several new iterations of the same game with improvements. Kind of like people who still use Windows 95 or something.

Well think of the number of people who still used Windows XP when Vista came out or still used 7 when 8 come out, and would go out of their way to get a system with one of the former instead of the latter.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Tripping does seem like bullshit in the context of an event like EVO, though. It's strange to me that Nintendo included nods to a more competitive scene with stuff like omega forms for stages so you don't have to do final destination forever but maintained the random chance of your character falling on their rear end.

E: wrong and bad

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 27, 2016

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

raditts posted:

It's really not that odd because video games are not productivity tools, they're entertainment. And what "improves" on entertainment is pretty subjective. You may as well wonder aloud why anyone would want to watch an old movie when the remake exists.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr Cheeto posted:

Tripping does seem like bullshit in the context of an event like EVO, though. It's strange to me that Nintendo included nods to a more competitive scene with stuff like omega forms for stages so you don't have to do final destination forever but maintained the random chance of your character falling on their rear end.

Tripping is gone in Smash 4.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tripping is a funny way of messing with those lousy tryhards :twisted:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Dr Cheeto posted:

Omega forms are only in 4, Tripping is only in Brawl

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Put me on a big yellow bus because I just got schooled

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

raditts posted:

Brawl and 4 have different features for sure, but people who die hard play Melee wouldn't consider them improvements necessarily.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nickoten posted:

I'm confused. So if you like something and the people who made it make a new thing, you have to stop enjoying the old thing entirely? People still play Melee because people still enjoy it. Just like Japan still plays SF2.

People talk about old games like they're a long-dead relative or something. It's loving videogames, play the videogame you think is fun, Jesus Christ it's not rocket science.

It's a little beyond that, though. Like, Melee people are furious that the series did not stagnate. Like, the entire point of Project M was to mod Brawl to be like Melee with better graphics. This is like if the people who still play exclusively Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo were to make a total conversion mod for USF4 that removes supers, ultras, meters, and focus attacks, and then tried to make it an official tournament event while Capcom glowered at them from the VIP booth.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
If people wanna play Melee they can if they'd like. Theres plenty of unique glitchy kinda stuff that isnt in the newer games. Pretty sad to see a bunch of posters who couldn't even understand thw highest level of smash play making GBS threads on people who are just trying to play a game thwy enjoy in peace.

gently caress off trolls

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

With FGs especially you can't call every mechanical overhaul progress or an improvement with any degree of objectivity. If people prefer a faster, offense-oriented Smash, why get mad at them for it?

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 27, 2016

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

It's a little beyond that, though. Like, Melee people are furious that the series did not stagnate. Like, the entire point of Project M was to mod Brawl to be like Melee with better graphics. This is like if the people who still play exclusively Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo were to make a total conversion mod for USF4 that removes supers, ultras, meters, and focus attacks, and then try to make it an official tournament event while Capcom glowered at them from the VIP booth.

As an aside, SSF2T does have supers. :eng101:

That said, I'm sure some people who like Melee legitimately cannot handle the idea of playing a Smash Bros game that is not exactly the same as Melee. To say that Melee tournament exists purely because everyone who plays Melee has some kind of mental deficiency is a stupid and needless generalization on the same level as saying that all people who play Smash 4 are consumer whores who buy whatever is put in front of them.

Also, for the same reasons as above, it is a stupid and needless generalization to say that people who want to play in a Melee tournament are the same people as those who are furious that the series "did not stagnate", who are the same as those who like Project M, who in turn are the same as people who want Project M to be at official Smash Bros tournaments.

In the interest of keeping the conversation friendly, I would propose we refrain from making GBS threads on people for liking something we don't personally care about.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
That's fair :shobon:

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that I think it's weird that it's like a main lineup event at EVO, and not some kinda sideshow. I guess either it still has hella legs or there's a serious drought on contemporary fighting games that people are actually playing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

When will maintenance be over. I wanna play mario maker but I keep getting told to come back later.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When will maintenance be over. I wanna play mario maker but I keep getting told to come back later.

They said Friday on Twitter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that I think it's weird that it's like a main lineup event at EVO, and not some kinda sideshow. I guess either it still has hella legs or there's a serious drought on contemporary fighting games that people are actually playing.

It's the latter. Melee will get more views than a lot of other lesser games. The only real thing missing is SF4 and that isn't onstage for obvious reasons.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Mario Maker should be at EVO

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Help Im Alive posted:

They said Friday on Twitter

Thats dumbb

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo that's a long rear end maintenance

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

It's always hard to be objective about Smash Bros stuff because "serious" Smash Bros players are real hosed up weirdos.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Melee has gotten more viewership and entrants than any game besides Street Fighter IV. If Super Turbo was still pulling those numbers it'd probably be at Evo too.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/final-fantasy-tactics-advance-wii-u

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is coming to NA tomorrow, just like in Europe.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

Melee has gotten more viewership and entrants than any game besides Street Fighter IV. If Super Turbo was still pulling those numbers it'd probably be at Evo too.

Hell, it was until 2008 (with one year being the Anniversary Edition I believe), meaning SF2 lasted about 11 years in the "mainstream" tournament scene despite there being a lot of other Street Fighter games after it. And even after that it got two more years through HD Remix, being featured concurrently with SFIV.

I think Marvel 2 and Melee are the only other games I've seen last as long as SF2 has in big tournaments. I bet SBO would still be featuring SF2 if it still existed.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/final-fantasy-tactics-advance-wii-u

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is coming to NA tomorrow, just like in Europe.

:holy:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My battery died and I hadn't saved in hours playing ffta, which made me never play it again.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

It's a little beyond that, though. Like, Melee people are furious that the series did not stagnate. Like, the entire point of Project M was to mod Brawl to be like Melee with better graphics. This is like if the people who still play exclusively Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo were to make a total conversion mod for USF4 that removes supers, ultras, meters, and focus attacks, and then tried to make it an official tournament event while Capcom glowered at them from the VIP booth.

The problem with this argument is Brawl mechanically took a lot from Melee and in fact added stuff specifically to spite people who played competitively.

It's more like if SFII had all the mechanics you're talking about, and USF took all those out and added a mechanic that made you fall flat on your rear end if you moved back and forth to bait your opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gumdrop Larry posted:

It's always hard to be objective about Smash Bros stuff because "serious" Smash Bros players are real hosed up weirdos.

Serious anything players have hosed up people among them.

• Locked thread