Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

KillHour posted:

Yeah, but he's a kid and you said this is entry level. People learn good judgment over time. You kind of sound like a dick.

People learn good judgement by learning from their mistakes. Also I think it's a safe assumption to think that if the guy needs to stay up all night to make an early interview, he's going to have trouble making it to work on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Docjowles posted:

Do any chat clients not work like that? We use HipChat and you just upload smilies to a central server and everyone in your organization can see/use them.

We use Lync/Skype for Business and as far as I know, there's no way which is a drat shame.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Dross posted:

You say "kid" but how old was this guy actually?

26 I believe. Kid isn't the right term, but it felt like something an 18 year old would do, not someone 4 years out of college.

KillHour posted:

Yeah, but he's a kid and you said this is entry level. People learn good judgment over time. You kind of sound like a dick.

I'm tough during interviews, definitely jaded, no doubt and probably even a dick when it comes to hiring. Its not my job to help someone learn basic "I should get a good night's sleep and be ready for this job" skills. I've spent the majority of my IT career dealing with hiring/firing people at one level or another and I've never been 'pleasantly surprised' at someone turning their poo poo around if you give them a chance when they do stupid poo poo in their interview.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

unclenutzzy posted:

People learn good judgement by learning from their mistakes. Also I think it's a safe assumption to think that if the guy needs to stay up all night to make an early interview, he's going to have trouble making it to work on time.

I'm not saying he should have hired the guy. I'm saying he shouldn't have gone straight to "I didn't waste anyone else's time." It says a lot about his management style. Also the "good cop bad cop" thing. If someone did that to me in an interview, I would have walked out.

DigitalMocking posted:

26 I believe. Kid isn't the right term, but it felt like something an 18 year old would do, not someone 4 years out of college.

I'm tough during interviews, definitely jaded, no doubt and probably even a dick when it comes to hiring. Its not my job to help someone learn basic "I should get a good night's sleep and be ready for this job" skills. I've spent the majority of my IT career dealing with hiring/firing people at one level or another and I've never been 'pleasantly surprised' at someone turning their poo poo around if you give them a chance when they do stupid poo poo in their interview.

I hope you're never in charge of hiring someone who isn't easily replaceable.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Ugh, hiring nearly entry level sucks. Its that time again when I open the floodgates for what I would call a pretty premium littel-above-entry level job.

Benefits
Typically 40 hours/week, occasional travel to manage specific projects. (Last years average was like 5 days away from home.)
Paid holidays and 2 weeks vacation.
Relatively stress free environment in a 400+ person company.
No micromanagement.
Learning stuff is encouraged and paid for.
Healthcare is astounding, company ate rate hikes last 4 years running, 401k with matching, stock options (lol) and more.
Pasadena, CA

Requirements

Know how to computer. Want to learn how to script? There are tons of little tasks which would be better handled by small shell/python/perl/whatever scripts. Must be able to rack a standard 1u server unassisted. Want to learn how to buy 50 servers? What about 50 racks of servers?

The Job

Manage repairs and parts supply chain for servers in 5 remote datacenters, as well as small specific on-site projects.

See above. I'm not the hiring manager but I know this position is open and work extremely closely with this team. I just sort of winged the description. You will be on our infrastructure team. Sky is the limit if you are clever and learn quickly.

Also hiring Sr. Network Engineer. Qualifications are to know your poo poo.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

H110Hawk posted:

See above. I'm not the hiring manager but I know this position is open and work extremely closely with this team. I just sort of winged the description. You will be on our infrastructure team. Sky is the limit if you are clever and learn quickly.

Yeah, Hi, welcome to the Working in IT thread. While we ARE currently discussing interviews / placements / etc, this isn't the place to beg goons to join your team. Job posting thread is a thataway.

Also, your original post says "Hiring sucks, I open the floodgates" and then recant with "I'm not the hiring manager but I work closely with this team". You're kind of bad at posting guy.

There, am I a worse rear end in a top hat than DigitalMocking so you can let off his nuts? I have no problem with him not contacting a tweaker kid that couldn't google "How to prepare for an interview" for 5 minutes the day before. Research and preparation is a huge part of IT.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah, Hi, welcome to the Working in IT thread. While we ARE currently discussing interviews / placements / etc, this isn't the place to beg goons to join your team. Job posting thread is a thataway.

Also, your original post says "Hiring sucks, I open the floodgates" and then recant with "I'm not the hiring manager but I work closely with this team". You're kind of bad at posting guy.

There, am I a worse rear end in a top hat than DigitalMocking so you can let off his nuts? I have no problem with him not contacting a tweaker kid that couldn't google "How to prepare for an interview" for 5 minutes the day before. Research and preparation is a huge part of IT.

Uh, I think he just copied Sickening's post from a few pages back and edited it slightly to fit his posting. And I think you might have him mistaken for KillHour. I am also confused now.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

not worth it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Know your poo poo about what technologies specifically? Just CCNP-Switching level IP networking knowledge? At the senior level, you probably want someone with experience with your specific hardware / topology.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Uh, I think he just copied Sickening's post from a few pages back and edited it slightly to fit his posting. And I think you might have him mistaken for KillHour. I am also confused now.

You and me both.

DigitalMocking posted:

not worth it.

I came off a bit harsh, having just come from the other end of the table (and I have an interview tonight I'm super worried about). Just be careful about how you come off to potential employees. The best candidates know what they're worth and won't want to work for someone they think is a dick.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 27, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks for confusing everyone.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

Thanks for confusing everyone.

I was wondering what happened to your avatar

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Woah, wait..

loving what??

I know Sickening is DFW and this job is CA, but sure as poo poo it's just a copy/paste job with small detail changes.

And I do know the difference between KillHour and that Hawk guy, I was just adding to the discussion instead of doing a complete derail just to call that guy out on his bad posting.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I am bad at posting. How will I ever go on in life.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

I am bad at posting. How will I ever go on in life.

Some days I worry that I am bad at posting. :ohdear:

Then I remember that the only people reading my posts are goons, and my worry goes away.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FireSight posted:

Some days I worry that I am bad at posting. :ohdear:

Then I remember that the only people reading my posts are goons, and my worry goes away.

Accept how bad you are at posting. It doesn't stop anyone else. Case in point, this post.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
People should be happy at work :kiddo:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Blasphemy! :black101:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

In the span of two months, five out of our eight person IT team have quit or been let go. I think the writing's on the wall.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

In the span of two months, five out of our eight person IT team have quit or been let go. I think the writing's on the wall.

Promotions and raises all around for the remaining 3?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Look at this comedian

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I like my job.

I would also would hire someone who has a degree from ITT because I don't particularly care where you picked up your job skills or whether it was a poor financial decision if you can do the work. One of my buddies is a senior voice engineer at a consulting company and his degree is from ITT. He makes very good money and does good work.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

NippleFloss posted:

I like my job.

I would also would hire someone who has a degree from ITT because I don't particularly care where you picked up your job skills or whether it was a poor financial decision if you can do the work. One of my buddies is a senior voice engineer at a consulting company and his degree is from ITT. He makes very good money and does good work.

The place where you spent your money matters to some people. :iiam:

It does make me scratch my head when people really care this much about it. Paying too much for a subpar education is way more of a problem that just ITT tech and the like. There are plenty of private and state schools that will load you up with soul crushing debt for a dated technical education. Somehow they get a pass because :reasons:.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 27, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

The place where you spent your money matters to some people. :iiam:

It does make me scratch my head when people really care this much about it. Paying too much for a subpar education is way more of a problem that just ITT tech and the like. There are plenty of private and state schools that will load you up with soul crushing debt for a dated technical education. Somehow they get a pass because :reasons:.

"It's a scam and people that fall for it are dumb. I don't want to hire dumb people." is the usual excuse. I really don't care either way.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I think we can all agree that college is a terrible idea and SCHOOL SUX. I'm gonna stay up late eating ice cream and not listen to my mommy too!!!!!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KillHour posted:

"It's a scam and people that fall for it are dumb. I don't want to hire dumb people." is the usual excuse. I really don't care either way.

People who make questionable decisions in one area of life make poor decisions in all areas of life. That's why I don't hire people who've been divorced. If a guy can't know if he wants to spend his life with someone how can he know how to deploy BGP?

And man, don't even get me started on people who took out an adjustable rate mortgage!? Those losers could never handle deploying a VM from template in MY environment. They just don't have the smarts for it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lmbo if you didn't go to a specific school because you were brainwashed from birth to go to there.

Thanks and gig em

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I think a technical school degree from itt tech or some other paper mill would have been better for me than my worthless party school diploma.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I circular DeVry candidates because by and large my experience with them has been atrocious. If they have "equivalent experience" as well on the resume I might phone screen. This as someone who never went to college.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

H110Hawk posted:

I circular DeVry candidates because by and large my experience with them has been atrocious. If they have "equivalent experience" as well on the resume I might phone screen. This as someone who never went to college.

DeVry, ITT, Phoenix for the most part get round filed unless they have some kind of secondary experience or tech related volunteer/hobby work for infrastructure positions, I don't have any experience in how good/bad those colleges are for development folk.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Ask me about demonstrating redundant power supplies by unplugging one of the two power cords. The remaining power cord was plugged into an inactive wall jack.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Methanar posted:

Ask me about demonstrating redundant power supplies by unplugging one of the two power cords. The remaining power cord was plugged into an inactive wall jack.

Congratulations, you just demonstrated the need for electricians at the same time!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methanar posted:

Yeah, don't ever "demonstrate" redundancy without a downtime window.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Methanar posted:

So what critical infrastructure component do you have plugged into the wall and not a UPS?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, don't ever "demonstrate" redundancy without a downtime window.

Thankfully it was harmless, just a bit embarrassing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dross posted:

So what critical infrastructure component do you have plugged into the wall and not a UPS?

Better than plugging both into the same UPS :downs:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

KillHour posted:

Better than plugging both into the same UPS :downs:

Not if the wall outlet is dead.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We get around this by only putting one power supply in ~99% of our equipment.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a skype interview in 45 minutes for a job that pays well over double what I'm making now and is in my industry.

I'm nervous as gently caress. :ohdear:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Don't drink 5 red bull and take a nap or whatever :bahgawd:

Edit: good :yotj: to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just had caffeine free tea. Bad idea?