Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Having a number of idle dwarves bigger than 0 triggers me. I spend a lot of time dicking around with Dwarf Therapist with the game paused.

Maybe that's one of the reasons my forts never go beyond year 2? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I have an army of about 10-15 engravers who I conscript from the first migrant waves in every one of my forts because godamnit. I need a nice clean fort :colbert: Exceptions are high priority labours or good military skills.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I have a bunch of dwarf fortress labor presets. There's a Peasant class that has all the unskilled labors enabled on it - hauling and so forth. They also have masonry for construction and I just restrict my workshops to need minimum skill levels to work. The rest of the presets are things for skilled dwarfs. Metalworkers, stoneworkers, etc. Sure there's some overlap where a skilled engraver ends up getting assigned stonecrafting jobs, but eventually everyone's skill levels even out for their presets and it's nice and tidy.

At least that's the theory. Usually a wereturkey or something wipes the fort first.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm definitely from the cover your main bases in the first migrant wave and conscript additional dwarves for labors as needed school of thought. How are my taverns going to be filled if all of my dwarves are just working all the time?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

reading posted:

Why did no one post these beautiful stonesense screenshots from way back? Gorgeous!

Good lord that's pretty, the first one especially. Now the game just needs a UI that doesn't make EVE Online's look simple and it'll be good to go. :yaycloud:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does the mining skill still get used as a combat skill in the current version? I used to conscript every dwarf who didn't have a better use as a miner so that I had an always-active armed civilian pseudo-militia that could defend itself against the lesser bad guys.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oh yeah it does. Considering how "This is my fight too. Begone fear!" is basically the dwarven battlecry these days, instead of a wild panic you'll more often see cave crocodiles getting torn apart by 4-6 wildly swinging picks

These days, any surprise troglodytes or trolls most often get lynched by bystanders before the sheriff can hoof it to the crime scene

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

scamtank posted:

Oh yeah it does. Considering how "This is my fight too. Begone fear!" is basically the dwarven battlecry these days, instead of a wild panic you'll more often see cave crocodiles getting torn apart by 4-6 wildly swinging picks

These days, any surprise troglodytes or trolls most often get lynched by bystanders before the sheriff can hoof it to the crime scene

I kind of miss the time when civilians would just run away instead of chasing down a Giant Lion and punching it to death.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

quote:

I've got a fort that has an export industry centered entirely around little commemorative dacite figurines of the starting seven dwarves in different poses. Eventually we'll have to make the merchants more discerning, but we'll worry about that later. You can specify each of the image elements and all of their relationships/actions, or you can select a historical figure, site, civilization, etc. and leave the worker to decide on the final image. If you specify an exact image, it is saved so it can be used later (along with your site/civ symbols, which you can also use). There are lots of loose ends to handle on this, but it's working well so far.

This is rad, but you just know the menu to specify these fine details is going to be a complete disaster

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

I bet you also have unread emails in your inbox

you goddamn monster

I tried therapist but it didn't seem to make anything easier really, but I don't set up dudes to be identical clones

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

SirPenguin posted:

This is rad, but you just know the menu to specify these fine details is going to be a complete disaster

I really wish Toady would spend one of these major releases just on UI and quality of life enhancements. I really, really wish he'd just hire someone else to do UI stuff since it's clearly not his strong suit.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Anchors posted:

I really wish Toady would spend one of these major releases just on UI and quality of life enhancements. I really, really wish he'd just hire someone else to do UI stuff since it's clearly not his strong suit.

You mean the game he built to entertain himself and is essentially played through a debug menu?

You can't really make the call that he can't make a UI when the entire dev process has been about not making UIs. I don't doubt that he could if he cared to, but why bother until later when the debug menu is faster.

QoL on the other hand, sign me up.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Anchors posted:

Building a UI at this point would be a waste of time, especially as he is bolting more and more poo poo on as time goes by. Not just additions to existing systems, but whole new systems entirely. The current framework he uses works pretty well as a means to hang new poo poo and make it accessible.

Besides, I don't really see a problem with the existing method of accessing poo poo. Sure there are a few layers to menus, but it isn't hard to figure out where everything is and just follow the prompts if you aren't entirely sure about the shortcuts.

Finally: He has been working on quality of life stuff. Dwarves now have pubs, reading, singing and dancing. He is greatly improving the dwarven quality of life.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I've always enjoyed the rickety, often unwieldy interface. It's kind of like writing by hand instead of on a computer—it would be annoying if I had to do everything that way, but it's nice in certain contexts because it slows you down and gives you a little more time to think about things.

Besides, once you memorize the commands, it's not really any harder to control than something like end-game WoW.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Using the Dwarf Fortress UI makes me feel like I'm coding with Vim

People look at my laptop screen and go "drat, you're on some next level programming poo poo, I can't even understand what's going on there with all the squigglies"

Joke's on them. I can barely write a web app and my design principles are abysmal. I'm playing the long con baby :evilbuddy:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Indecisive posted:

I tried therapist but it didn't seem to make anything easier really, but I don't set up dudes to be identical clones

if it didn't then you were probably doing something majorly wrong, because it makes it incredibly easy to toggle labors on and off for dwarves and presents it all in a handy table that you can reference without having to go into menus in DF itself.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I mainly only use Dwarf Therapist to manage migrant waves, after the entire wave shows up I can go to DT, sort it by year and season of arrival, and then in one go set up labors for all the new guys at once.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I've never gone in to the labors menu in DF. Therapist all the way.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Muscle Tracer posted:

Or for that matter, if one combatant is knocked into another by a strong blow and the impact kills one of them, who gets credit for that kill?

I'm looking forward to the update that allows structures to become historically significant by killing people.

You could have a murderfloor at the bottom of a pit that has killed hundreds of goblins. Sarlacc, eater of goblins.
A wall that the hammerer smacked a dude into and he died of the impact. The wall got the kill credit (Hammerer only got an assist).

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Indecisive posted:

Dwarf Therapist doesn't work with Gmail they haven't mapped the memory locations yet.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Guys he loving did it :allears:

Toady One posted:

I've got a fort that has an export industry centered entirely around little commemorative dacite figurines of the starting seven dwarves in different poses. Eventually we'll have to make the merchants more discerning, but we'll worry about that later. You can specify each of the image elements and all of their relationships/actions, or you can select a historical figure, site, civilization, etc. and leave the worker to decide on the final image. If you specify an exact image, it is saved so it can be used later (along with your site/civ symbols, which you can also use). There are lots of loose ends to handle on this, but it's working well so far.

Now if only we could decide what our civ/expedition symbols are in advance. Without DFHack, I mean, it's pretty simple to edit with that. I'm gonna emboss every last breastplate of mine with heraldry now.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 28, 2016

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Gibbo posted:

You mean the game he built to entertain himself and is essentially played through a debug menu?

You can't really make the call that he can't make a UI when the entire dev process has been about not making UIs. I don't doubt that he could if he cared to, but why bother until later when the debug menu is faster.

QoL on the other hand, sign me up.

It's a bit of a cop out to just say UI doesn't matter because this started as a personal passion project since this is now his full time job and how he makes his living.

Really, I just mean it would nice if he took some time to take some cues from the community and officially integrated some things like dwarf therapist into the core game. Given how many posts there are every time a new version drops about how they refuse to play without the enhanced UI tools, I don't think it's too much to ask. Though Pickled TInk does have a point in that Toady changes and adds so much that adding a comprehensive UI would probably be counterproductive.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So I just had this happen in my fortress.

One of my dwarves, a gem setter, got into an argument with Urdim Trussedsilvers. It showed up in my combat logs so I thought I'd check it out and see what was going on when we got the lust report. Apparently I just watched one of my dwarves get into a fight with his wife and then have a vigorous bout of makeup sex.

I wonder how she feels about it.

"She didn't feel anything while in conflict."

Oh... well at least now I know what they were arguing about.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
I CANNOT for the life of me get the elves pissed off enough to retaliate. Here's what I've gone out of my way to do in order to incite a large scale hissy-fit from them:

-Cut down as many trees as possible; designating the entire outdoor area for woodcutting every month or so. Do the same with several accessible layers in the caverns.

-Seizure of goods from their caravans, which is always concluded with an elven massacre for several years in a row.

-Immediately offend them by offering wooden goods for another several years and allowing them to leave in a huff.

I've never come across an elven diplomat either, so there's never been an opportunity to flay him/ignore the tree quota.
Any thoughts?

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

ContraBoss posted:

I CANNOT for the life of me get the elves pissed off enough to retaliate. Here's what I've gone out of my way to do in order to incite a large scale hissy-fit from them:

-Cut down as many trees as possible; designating the entire outdoor area for woodcutting every month or so. Do the same with several accessible layers in the caverns.

-Seizure of goods from their caravans, which is always concluded with an elven massacre for several years in a row.

-Immediately offend them by offering wooden goods for another several years and allowing them to leave in a huff.

I've never come across an elven diplomat either, so there's never been an opportunity to flay him/ignore the tree quota.
Any thoughts?

Well, you need to mod the game slightly to get the eleven diplomat show up. Unless that got fixed recently.

dakuroot
Sep 22, 2003
^________^

ContraBoss posted:

Any thoughts?

I thought they had to make it back home alive so they can tell everyone else about how horrible and mean you were to the trees or something like that. I could be completely wrong though! :shrug:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anyone have a seed or know enough about world building to get an embark like this:

Surroundings: Terrifying
Temperate/Warm/Cold is fine
Trees
Volcano

Sand, Soil, Shallow, Deep, Flux?

I just want to see how long I can hold 200 dwarves against the wilds with proper weapons.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

dakuroot posted:

I thought they had to make it back home alive so they can tell everyone else about how horrible and mean you were to the trees or something like that. I could be completely wrong though! :shrug:

I wanna say that I tried this a few times too, but I can't rely on my memory. I guess I can either mod or just continue to make elves cry until something gives.

If only they were as touchy as the Humans. :psydwarf:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

By default, you only have like 2-3 regions in the world that are evil in any capacity. High savagery is a pretty frequent bet, but having the area also be super-volcanic enough for just the chance of getting one of the 3 volcanoes or so to land there too? Madness. Advanced worldgen lets you relax those limits, though.

Volcanoes also always make for enormous height differences. Barring a broken generation fluke you're going to have some mountains around it and in my experience, you find less and less soil layers the further you get from sea level. The igneous geological environment (volcanoes do that by necessity) also means that you won't have flux near the surface, full stop. You'll have to hope that the first set of "deep" layers are metamorphic with rich marble deposits.

Imo your best bet is to just find a horror swamp and just make yourself a self-replenishing lava pool with tiletypes

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Also note that depending on your level of ~immersion~ for this gimmick fort, you can just make any type of stone flux stone with minimal effort and make whatever metals you want spawn in all types of stone layers with a little more. Trees are always available via the caverns, so if you make these mods and embark on a terrifying mountain volcano, all you'll be missing is sand (which you might also be able to make any layer count as, I'm not sure).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Sometimes I used DFhack to turn entire chucks of the mountain into platinum to carve awesome rooms out of. Those forts I also tend to embark with 7 legendary dwarves and 100000 bars and gems. Bling for days.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Siljmonster posted:

Does anyone have a seed or know enough about world building to get an embark like this:

Surroundings: Terrifying
Temperate/Warm/Cold is fine
Trees
Volcano

Sand, Soil, Shallow, Deep, Flux?

I just want to see how long I can hold 200 dwarves against the wilds with proper weapons.

You could just change the number of embark points in the world generation settings and set out with a shitton of iron ore/flux stone/steel bars.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Man the open-legends plugin is an eye opener. Now I can check the annals for cool poo poo whenever somebody with really high theoretical science skills rolls around.

In 326, Kol gave up being a bone doctor to become an engineer in Lensboars.

In the early summer of 327, Kol was denied an apprenticeship under Id Earthentests in Graveltax as the latter prefers to work alone.

In the late autumn of 334, The History of Locks was authored by Kol in Graveltax after a nightmare.

in the early summer of 346, Kol independently discovered the construction and use of the camera obscura.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So Kol is gonna go around taking pictures of ghosts instead of making slabs?

It is a sheet of parchment. On the parchment is an image of Urist McDead, who is deceased. Urist is making a rude gesture.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Are the DF Hack scripts for forcing a megabeast to show up broken? I can't get them to work on version 42.04

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
"...Created a Masterpiece X!" "...Created a Masterpiece Y!" "...Created a Masterpiece X!" "A cloud of foul ash has drifted nearby!" "...Created a Masterpiece X!" "...Created a Masterpiece Y!" "...Created a Masterpiece Z!"
"...Found dead." "...Found dead." "...Found dead." "...Found dead."
"...Found dead." "...Found dead." "...Found dead."
"...Found dead." "...Found dead."
"...Found dead."

Wait what...
"...Found dead." (x50)
Apperently the foul ash here instakills everything, no reports are generated to find out if they suffocated or had their skin melt off, or their lungs explode etc.

But ash travels downwards, and before I realized it almost everyone was dead.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

"...Created a Masterpiece X!" "...Created a Masterpiece Y!" "...Created a Masterpiece X!" "A cloud of foul ash has drifted nearby!" "...Created a Masterpiece X!" "...Created a Masterpiece Y!" "...Created a Masterpiece Z!"
"...Found dead." "...Found dead." "...Found dead." "...Found dead."
"...Found dead." "...Found dead." "...Found dead."
"...Found dead." "...Found dead."
"...Found dead."

Wait what...
"...Found dead." (x50)
Apperently the foul ash here instakills everything, no reports are generated to find out if they suffocated or had their skin melt off, or their lungs explode etc.

But ash travels downwards, and before I realized it almost everyone was dead.

The weather effects had potential to be cool, unfortunately the reality is its unfun instadeath mechanics. Iirc bad weather also doesn't effect invaders right? I recall embarking in a biome that had rain that randomly made people become stunned, it was funny watching birds and birdmen plummet to the ground randomly after being covered in the rain. What wasn't funny was the human trader caravan's horse getting stunned right on top a trap and setting it off. What really wasn't fun was the ambush party that followed them being completely immune to the rain's effects.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The ambush party might have been armored and clothed enough to avoid having the rain come into contact with their skin?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So I've worked a way around the ash. Turns out it was getting into my fort through a crack on the north side. I've plugged up everything but one entrance and turned it into a rudimentary caravan compliant airlock. I'm also building a tunnel from the airlock to the map edges. Less time for any migrants or caravans to show up and get caught in a migrating deathball. The Evil biome of my map is just in the north and west, I've got a nice big patch of wilderness green to the south east thats my wood source, and so far as I can tell the ash sticks to the mountains and evil biome area only.

Its just that the majority of my underground is under said evil mountains, and therefore its completely mechanically legal for the evil weather to ransack my fort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
So is the export number bug just a cosmetic glitch in the UI? Or does the game not recognize that you're exporting wealth at all?