Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Regarde Aduck posted:

Ah I can explain. Corbyn is the cat's name but the cat has swapped places via the cat techno virus toxoplasma gondii. Do you want Britain ran by a leftist cat? A literal pussy? Stop this nonsense.

Las Meowvinas Son Argentinas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
His cat speaks Spanish and will only answer to "El Gato" too.

Is Jeremy Corbyn's cat an Argentinian Spy? Or an illegal Immigrant?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

Is Corbyn a cat or dog person? Need to write my blog about how he is either possessed by the cat parasitic techno-virus or prefers submissive mewling creatures who won't fight back against his idiotic whims.

Of course he's a cat person. Because he has Correct Thought.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Pork Pie Hat posted:

The Mail, fearlessly asking the big questions of the day:

And blaming the NHS for something that is actually the responsibility of an outsourced, private company.

Exactly. Ic24 is the company who do it round our way, Porkpie, and they had no clinician and cancelled the ambulance when my brother died. We just got the 'lessons learned' spiel, and they sacked the call taker. Ironically, this happened the day the baby with sepsis was born.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

El Candigato :3:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Fans posted:

General Gato-ieri.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I liked the part in the official report into that case where it said "although none of the doctors actually said it, it is likely they were reluctant to prescribe antibiotics because of national advice".

Antimicrobial resistance really isn't worth undermining based on conjecture on the potential opinions of out of hours gps who didn't have access to clinical records.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 27, 2016

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Trickjaw posted:

Exactly. Ic24 is the company who do it round our way, Porkpie, and they had no clinician and cancelled the ambulance when my brother died. We just got the 'lessons learned' spiel, and they sacked the call taker. Ironically, this happened the day the baby with sepsis was born.

gently caress me that's grim, I'm sorry to hear they were so poo poo at an awful time. You'd think there'd be more of a fuss made in the media about the whole thing, not just the Mail trying to stick the boot into the NHS.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Pork Pie Hat posted:

The Mail, fearlessly asking the big questions of the day:

And blaming the NHS for something that is actually the responsibility of an outsourced, private company.

In all the cases mentioned there the kids all saw doctors and 2 of them are from before 111 existed as they quoted nhs direct.

Trickjaw posted:

IC24 are really terrible.

Namtab posted:

I liked the part in the official report into that case where it said "although none of the doctors actually said it, it is likely they were reluctant to prescribe antibiotics because of national advice".

Antimicrobial resistance really isn't worth undermining based on conjecture on the potential opinions of out of hours gps who didn't have access to clinical records.

The OOH gps should have access to the clinical records if the patient/'s guardian has agreed for them to be shared.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 27, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

The OOH gps should have access to the clinical records if the patient/'s guardian ha\s agreed for them to be shared.

It'll be something to do with access to whatever IT system they have in the patient's area. I'd certainly guess that the doctors at 111 are on a different system. The out of hours doctors may not have smartcards.....

The nhs is a loving mess of different clinical record systems that don't/can't share information. Where I work we're on one system, the mainstream services are a different trust so they use another version of that system that we can't see, the county next to us is on a completely different system.....

IT in the nhs is a joke and will remain a joke until a government manages to procure a national system every hcp can tap into.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 27, 2016

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Namtab posted:

It'll be something to do with access to whatever IT system they have in the patient's area. I'd certainly guess that the doctors at 111 are on a different system. The out of hours doctors may not have smartcards.....

The nhs is a loving mess of different clinical record systems that don't/can't share information. Where I work we're on one system, the mainstream services are a different trust so they use another version of that system that we can't see, the county next to us is on a completely different system.....

IT in the nhs is a joke and will remain a joke until a government manages to procure a national system every hcp can tap into.

Agree completely.

I don't have much experience with the systems/records for other areas but here all the in hours and oohs use one system and the ooh gps definitely have their smartcards.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

All 3 UKIPs in the House of Lords were conservative whej they got there but later defected. It's quite a coincidence.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
the NHS IT fiasco cost me my old job at Fujitsu and even though that ended 7 years ago gently caress me am I still bitter about it

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I don't think it alarmist to say this is just the beginning of the sharp decline of the NHS.

E: No, its not the start, is it?

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 27, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The start was when they made nursing degree entry only, if not before

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Murdoch has laid into Cameron on twitter over the Google deal. I know we won't get any pro-Corbyn press out of this but hopefully we'll get a few anti-Cameron headlines out of it.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Murdoch has laid into Cameron on twitter over the Google deal. I know we won't get any pro-Corbyn press out of this but hopefully we'll get a few anti-Cameron headlines out of it.
This is literally only because he hates Google for stealing all the advertising dollars and for aggregating his content. It's got nothing to do with disliking tax avoidance and everything to do with wanting a business rival to get a kicking

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

This is literally only because he hates Google for stealing all the advertising dollars and for aggregating his content. It's got nothing to do with disliking tax avoidance and everything to do with wanting a business rival to get a kicking

Best you can hope for with our media is the right thing being done by accident/for the wrong reasons.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Not sure that this is a particularly good use of £3bn: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/035457c6-c50b-11e5-b3b1-7b2481276e45.html#axzz3yTk9Y6Xw

quote:

David Cameron will fly to Aberdeen on Thursday to announce an emergency package to prop up the North Sea oil industry, including the first stage of a multibillion infrastructure investment for the city.
The prime minister is also set to promise a new “oil and gas technology centre” in Aberdeen to fund future research, including into innovative ways to extract oil and gas.
His visit comes as the North Sea struggles against slumping oil prices, which have left many of its companies facing big losses. The industry is seeking £3bn in funding.
The North Sea has been harder hit than most oil production centres by the fall in the price of crude from $115 a barrel in summer 2014 to under $30, not least because of the high price of extraction.
According to the most recent figures from Oil & Gas UK, the industry body, it now costs about £17.80 to extract a barrel of oil in the British North Sea, compared with £16 in the Norwegian section, or just £3 off the coast of Egypt.
Oil & Gas UK said last year that 5,500 people directly employed in offshore oil and gas have lost their jobs since the start of 2014, but that figure continues to mount. BP recently announced it was cutting 4,000 staff, 600 of which are employed in its North Sea operation.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
So how much of the massive profits the companies made when oil was over 100$ were blown on dividends instead of keeping some back for exactly this sort of thing?

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

New Statesman talks to some terrible shits about the future of the Labour Party

quote:

Meanwhile, they should abandon all the guff about bringing the party together, finding common ground, praising “Jeremy” as a nice guy...If the PLP cannot ­depose him – and it now looks as if it can’t, for if it was to force a new leadership election, he would have the right to stand and would probably win – then its best option is to undermine his leadership at Westminster so completely that he has no alternative but to stand down...The far left would kick and scream. Fine. They might tear up their membership cards. Even better. The Labour Party, and the still-powerful Labour brand, would be back in safe hands.

quote:

If two-thirds of the PLP join up, it could become the official opposition, receive the several million pounds’ Short money and dethrone Corbyn from the front bench in the Commons. It would not be necessary to call a national leadership election, but the real leadership would go to where the power lies – within the PLP, as it used to be.

I especially like

quote:

You have only to reel off the names of the most obvious members of such a shadow cabinet – Yvette Cooper, Chuka Umunna, Tristram Hunt, Andy Burnham, Liz Kendall, Rachel Reeves, Emma Reynolds, Michael Dugher, Dan Jarvis, Hilary Benn, Keir Starmer, Chris Leslie, Caroline Flint and the Eagle sisters, for a start – to see how much more powerful and impressive a team it would be than Corbyn’s shadows.

quote:

There are many among the new elites who have recently joined the Labour Party who are salivating at the prospect of a party, after all these years, finally proposing a platform of pacifism, republicanism, anti-capitalism, anti-Western rhetoric, as well as hostility to the media.

quote:

understand the disillusion of the thousands who, in frustration with Corbyn, are abandoning their Labour membership and commitment: this is the tragic, unseen story behind the surge of his twitterati and middle class left-wing support. The hard lessons of the 2015 election have seemingly been ignored: the clear views of Labour supporters and one time supporters count for very little.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Another misstep by Osborne, and its made Cameron look bad at PMQs. There's only so many times you can blame the previous Labour government, especially when you're in your second term (the Lib Dems were fairly weak partners in the coalition). Nor does it work well when the leader is Corbyn. The tories have spent so much time and effort on declaring Corbyn a radical that it's clear he's not going to be in line with what the previous Labour government did.

The Corbyn lot need to push hard on this, and talk about previous sweetheart deals, or where ex-HMRC staff (and Labour and Tory ministers) have ended up joining various accountancy firms. Raise the profile of 'collusion' and revolving door between policy forming and policy abusing. Sure, it'll make some of the Blairites look bad, but most of them won't be MPs any more, and that's one way of politically neutering the few that are.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The middle class is important until they're not and then only the working class are important. I guess Blarites and particularly tedious leftists can agree on some things. Next week: Won't anyone think of the squeezedmiddle!?!?!?!?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
They're really trying to push that Corbyn supporters are middle class while the people leaving are the working class, which seems to be the opposite of everything that has come out about the new members.

Regarde Aduck posted:

The middle class is important until they're not and then only the working class are important. I guess Blarites and particularly tedious leftists can agree on some things. Next week: Won't anyone think of the squeezedmiddle!?!?!?!?

Remember "we need to appeal to the middle class Waitrose shopper if we want to win 2020"? I guess that's out the window now.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

The bit titled "MPs must undermine their leader" that this quote

quote:

Then Labour could have a new leadership contest, in which MPs ensure that nobody with Corbyn’s views receives enough nominations to become a candidate. The far left would kick and scream. Fine. They might tear up their membership cards. Even better. The Labour Party, and the still-powerful Labour brand, would be back in safe hands.

came from was written by

quote:

Peter Kellner is a former political editor of the New Statesman and is now the president of YouGov, the polling company. He writes here in a personal capacity

:eyepop:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

They're really trying to push that Corbyn supporters are middle class while the people leaving are the working class, which seems to be the opposite of everything that has come out about the new members.
Or the elites. All those anti-capitalist anti-monarchist anti-war anti-media elites.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

So the dude straight up admits Corbyn would win a leadership election - i.e. that the Labour Party as a whole as opposed to the PLP want the guy - and just doesn't care, the PLP should chuck him out anyway? Does he not understand what democracy is?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

You have only to reel off the names of the most obvious members of such a shadow cabinet – Yvette Cooper, Chuka Umunna, Tristram Hunt, Andy Burnham, Liz Kendall, Rachel Reeves, Emma Reynolds, Michael Dugher, Dan Jarvis, Hilary Benn, Keir Starmer, Chris Leslie, Caroline Flint and the Eagle sisters, for a start – to see how much more powerful and impressive a team it would be than Corbyn’s shadows.
A fair few of those are already in the shadow cabinet and the rest hardly constitute the dream team because they're mostly famous (or at least people who follow politics might vaguely remember them) for being in the shadow cabinet and then not being in the shadow cabinet and bugger all else

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Or the elites. All those anti-capitalist anti-monarchist anti-war anti-media elites.

It's the pro business capitalist monarchist that are the true underdogs in today's society.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
You'd think the head of a polling company would try to appear impartial in public just so as to not put off any potential clients, or make people worry about subconscious survey bias. It just seems like bad business.

quote:

This bit made me chuckle. Hardly Robin Cook or Gordon Brown are they?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
That really is a stunning collection of all the people who hosed it in 2015.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

feedmegin posted:

So the dude straight up admits Corbyn would win a leadership election - i.e. that the Labour Party as a whole as opposed to the PLP want the guy - and just doesn't care, the PLP should chuck him out anyway? Does he not understand what democracy is?

Liberalism.txt

Democracy isn't for the lower orders; it's a sacred treasure to be enjoyed and wielded (responsibly of course) only by those of superior intelligence and consciousness. The riffraff cannot be trusted with this responsibility, being feckless and fickle. They'd ruin it. Or at the very least leave grubby hand-prints all over it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I do enjoy mentioning to people that 100 years ago, not only did no women at all have the vote, but men aged over 21 had to own property valued at £10 or more, or pay rent of at least £10 a year, to qualify for a vote; and only 60% of the eligible male population qualified. (A large slice of the rest was living in a wet, muddy hole somewhere in France at the time.)

Oh, and property qualifications didn't entirely disappear until 1928. Democracy!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Namtab posted:

Sounds anticompetitive imo.

Which reminds me, Guavanaut, did you hear about grant shapps pushing for Openreach (the fibre rollout wing of BT) to be sold off because it's not going very fast?

Reading about it off the back of the piece you posted the other day about the death of British fibre had me halfway between laughing and crying. It's all so loving stupid and nobody ever learns.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's all so loving stupid and nobody ever learns.

this ought to be our national motto

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Namtab posted:

Nah, that sounds like some kind of inefficient government bureaucratic thing. A shitload of private contractors all working on their own systems is obviously better because Free Market Competition.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trin Tragula posted:

Oh, and property qualifications didn't entirely disappear until 1928. Democracy!
The threat of a popular communist revolution was a big part of those laws. And the early ones making sure that urban proles couldn't have anything that they might use to do a terrorism.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Which reminds me, Guavanaut, did you hear about grant shapps pushing for Openreach (the fibre rollout wing of BT) to be sold off because it's not going very fast?
I did not and I am not surprised. I don't think the GPO was a model of efficiency back in the day, but I figure even between slacking off in the back room of the exchange they could have done better than what the current divided up privatized sack of crap can achieve.
And they could have sold the absolute fortune of copper they have buried to China to fund it, whereas when that does eventually get dug up it'll probably go to dividends.

XMNN posted:

this ought to be our national motto
Omnia est perfututum et nemo umquam didicit.

Or something.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So if anyone is interested you can watch the first John McDonnell sponsored lecture on economics here.

It's pretty long, and quite interesting if quite highbrow. It makes some very good points about how public investment is an essential part of underpinning private enterprise, especially in the fields of R&D and high tech industry. How if left to their own devices private investors have nowhere near the patience to go for the type of ventures that really develop an economy, and how the government needs to be countercyclic to the rest of the system.

Certainly it's not yet boiled down to a message that can easily be delivered to the public, but it lays out the bones of how Labour plans to win back confidence on the economy. And that's by FINALLY arguing that everything the Tories say is bullshit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

jabby posted:

and how the government needs to be countercyclic to the rest of the system.

About loving time. I know I only believe this to be obvious because I've already learned it, but it's really not that difficult to grasp that if everybody runs to the same side of the boat at once, it's only going to take a few cycles for the whole thing to capsize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Namtab posted:

Didn't they try and do this a couple years, maybe even a decade ago and hosed it up so badly they 'had to' sell it off to private contractors? A few of my friends work in the clinical records department at Poole Hospital and they're in the middle of digitising and moving over to a fully computerised system which was meant to take 6 months. They're currently on month 14 and the end isn't even in sight.

• Locked thread