Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

February for some reason has a bunch of very highly anticipated games dropping at the same time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_video_gaming#January.E2.80.93March

XCOM 2, Fire Emblem, Street Fighter 5

Great Detective Pikachu sounds great, but yeah it looks like I have time for a FF-themed beat 'em up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

bloodychill posted:

Winners don't do drugs! Molly probably would have helped though. The opener was a local Austin band that did a bunch of metal SNES covers that were cool but a little messy. Bit Brigade did their schtick, which is some guy speed-running Megaman 2 while a band plays rock covers of all the songs with some other songs thrown in to mix things up. It was good. The Protomen are what you get what you take Journey and Styx, a love of Megaman, and a pretty hefty dose of cocaine and then proceed to vomit it all up on a stage. It wasn't my thing.

This sounds like my kind of thing tbh.

Side note: anybody going to Austin psych fest?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

February for some reason has a bunch of very highly anticipated games dropping at the same time

You forgot one that should count because it's the other relevant FF game due. :colbert:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mezzanon posted:

This sounds like my kind of thing tbh.

Side note: anybody going to Austin psych fest?

No but jealous that Boris is playing there

I can never keep track of all the spinoffs they have now, I didn't even know this is a thing

There's a new JRPG coming out from SE this year that is an oldschool throwback though, Project Setsuna

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm finding myself mildly hyped up about Sakaguchi's announcement. The art and style description look at least promising and it's hard not to let "current gen Sakaguchi RPG" take one's imagination for a ride.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bloodychill posted:

I'm finding myself mildly hyped up about Sakaguchi's announcement. The art and style description look at least promising and it's hard not to let "current gen Sakaguchi RPG" take one's imagination for a ride.

Same though that article mentioned even a proper announcement being a year out so it'll probably be 2018 at the earliest. :(

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

No Fire Emblem for this poor European. Not even a loving release date, it's infuriating.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd be surprised if it wasn't around April, around the same time that Bravely Second gets its US launch.

No idea why Second is an April game over in the States and a Feb game in Europe other than Feb being stuffed for games. They really ought to have synced the releases up so it's either of those games in Feb for both regions.

If only they'd kill region locking already.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

If you can't ship in the holidays, you typically skip January and ship in February. January is no man's land for a couple of reasons. Stores tend to get a glut of returns and used game store purchases that month that drive down prices of older games.

Furthermore, most retail chains minimize inventory in January to close out the year since its typically a part of the store's performance metric for the fiscal year. For example, Walmart's fiscal year ends January 31. Gamestop's ends February 1st. Target Ends January 31st. So if you really want to ship a game in January, you usually do it in the last week. In this case, you can usually ship a smaller amount in January and then do a much bigger order when February rolls around.

bloodychill posted:

If this is coming to consoles, I wonder if they'll work with a publishing partner or self-publish.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

quote:

I never understood this mentality. One of the best things, to me anyway, in an RPG is going from some schmuck at Level 1 with a Rusty Sword and a Fire spell that can barely singe something to a Level 99 badass wielding the Ancient Blade of Awesome and throwing around spells that can blow up the planet.

Seriously though, the game gave you all this cool stuff, why gimp yourself? I'd much rather just find a hack or mod that increases difficulty. That way I'm expected to use everything at my disposal just to survive. I never understood the full depths of FFVIII's mechanics until a mod made me realize there was a lot more to it than just slapping Curaga on your HP and destroying everything.

Doing low level runs can really inject some strategy, and sometimes (for the good FFs) simply lowering your stats can bring out the potential of the battle system. Plus, it's really awesome when a challenge is so perfectly just barely possible that you almost think the developers intended it that way.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

At first I felt pretty indifferent about this game, thinking the art style was 'meh' to 'ugh', but then I saw the gameplay footage.

The game has to be truly heinous for me not to lay down some money for cactuars.

I love cactuars.

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 27, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So I cracked open my copy of LR finally and spent an hour shopping for new clothes and then another hour messing with their colors.

Then I fought some big dragon thing that some lady was freaking out about. I have no idea what's happening in the story and Hope wont shut up.

This may be the best Final Fantasy though.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

So I cracked open my copy of LR finally and spent an hour shopping for new clothes and then another hour messing with their colors.

Then I fought some big dragon thing that some lady was freaking out about. I have no idea what's happening in the story and Hope wont shut up.

This may be the best Final Fantasy though.

Wait wait wait, there's a clothing shop? gently caress. I missed that. Gonna have to go back and go on a motherfuckin' shopping spree.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

widespread posted:

Wait wait wait, there's a clothing shop? gently caress. I missed that. Gonna have to go back and go on a motherfuckin' shopping spree.

There are a couple around that starting town and I bought all of them and then I bought all the little decorations and proceeded to ignore the ticking death clock.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

There are a couple around that starting town and I bought all of them and then I bought all the little decorations and proceeded to ignore the ticking death clock.

Oh poo poo. That sounds like a much better game already.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So as I near the end of my second FFXIII run, I'm wondering something.

Which is the hardest FF game? We were talking about game difficulty and stuff the other page and while I know that no FF is really that hard, some have to be more challenging than others for one reason or another.

I would ask which is the easiest but it seems plain to me that VIII is the only choice. Or maybe II.

Then again, game difficulty is the most subjective thing in the world it seems. Ask ten people about how hard a game was and you'll get ten different answers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Which is the hardest FF game? We were talking about game difficulty and stuff the other page and while I know that no FF is really that hard, some have to be more challenging than others for one reason or another.

I would ask which is the easiest but it seems plain to me that VIII is the only choice. Or maybe II.

Then again, game difficulty is the most subjective thing in the world it seems. Ask ten people about how hard a game was and you'll get ten different answers.

In terms of "the average person will have trouble finishing thing" probably the NES trilogy just due to archaic design.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A lot of the bosses in FFIVDS killed me but I dunno if that was just me being bad (I never really die in the other FF games though)

III seems like it would be one of the hardest since you can't save during dungeons

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Isn't FF3 DS hard?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF3 DS is hard in all the wrong ways

I dunno if Four Warriors of Light is hard exactly but you can gently caress your self over with the lovely level scaling and spending half the game without a full party meant it wasn't a walkover. From what I remember anyway.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

FF3 DS is hard in all the wrong ways

I dunno if Four Warriors of Light is hard exactly but you can gently caress your self over with the lovely level scaling and spending half the game without a full party meant it wasn't a walkover. From what I remember anyway.

FF3DS is hard and awful specifically because bosses get multiple turns and turn order is 100% unpredictable. Max speed? 1/<number of enemies + 4> chance you'll go last anyway.

Four Heroes of Light's level scaling is really bad. You're supposed to counteract it by upgrading your equipment, but you get capped fairly low and to raise it, you need to complete the bonus dungeons. As a consequence, it's in your favor to run from every encounter. As if that wasn't enough, you need gems to level up your jobs and equipment, but the only way to get enough of them to beat the level curve is to use the Merchant's skill in every encounter. And Merchant, being Merchant, is a class you might overlook entirely.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NikkolasKing posted:

Easiest would be X since encounters are geared for certain characters. Hardest would have the most archaic systems to wear you down.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If we're counting non mainline games and playing without having the knowledge to break them with a qualifier that the difficulty isn't due to poo poo game design like FF3 DS, I'd say Final Fantasy Tactics is maybe the hardest FF of the ones I played because it's a departure from the norm and doesn't hand hold.

I think 2 is pretty hard because I never did figure out how it really works and it's poo poo so I don't want to.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

FFXI, before the 99 level cap. :v:

Seriously though, I feel like FF1 on the NES was one of the most unforgiving. I still remember having to grind up lots of exp and gil GP to safely get through many of the dungeons.

I haven't played 2 enough to make an opinion about it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Easiest would be X since encounters are geared for certain characters.

Not sure what you mean by that, but X is definitely not the easiest game by any stretch as it has a number of pretty harsh bossfights and some of the most debilitating status effects in the series.

VIII is most likely the easiest one simply because it allows you to spam Limit Breaks so easily even if you don't otherwise smash it apart. Tactics Advance is incredibly easy as well if you count it.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
I really enjoy FF3 DS, but I think I'm the only one. It has a bunch of cool hidden mechanics, and I'm one of those freaks who like the spell charge system more than mana points.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Not sure what you mean by that, but X is definitely not the easiest game by any stretch as it has a number of pretty harsh bossfights and some of the most debilitating status effects in the series.

VIII is most likely the easiest one simply because it allows you to spam Limit Breaks so easily even if you don't otherwise smash it apart. Tactics Advance is incredibly easy as well if you count it.

Yeah, I remember actually having trouble with a few boss fights in X. And I didn't actually play the game all the way though until maybe 2008.

The last time I'd had issues with a FF boss was FF2US, when I was 9 and didn't quite "get" JRPGs.

Vernatio posted:

I really enjoy FF3 DS, but I think I'm the only one. It has a bunch of cool hidden mechanics, and I'm one of those freaks who like the spell charge system more than mana points.

I also enjoyed it, despite knowing about its problems. I was just happy to play an officially translated FF3. (Of course, now it's on almost every platform...)

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 27, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

FFXI, before the 99 level cap. :v:

Seriously though, I feel like FF1 on the NES was one of the most unforgiving. I still remember having to grind up lots of exp and gil GP to safely get through many of the dungeons.

FF1 has some pretty tough spots but after you get past those it gets significantly easier, especially as you get more tools (read: gear that casts spells for free) to play around with. Though of course sometimes you just get stunlocked or w/e in a random encounter and you gotta reset.

I feel that NES FF3 is not just harder but the difficulty curve is more straight forward. If they put save spots in dungeons it would go a long way though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I thought that Final Fantasy 6 was the easiest. I'm not sure about the hardest. I want to say Final Fantasy 1, but the truth is that the game is not really hard. It is just much more dependent on grinding GP before progressing during certain steps of the game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Personally, if we're talking about legitimately challenging design and not challenge from opaqueness (NES games) or RNG bullshit (3DS, also NES games) or bad design (irritating monster closets from FF2 come to mind), or straight-up required grinding (Monster arena bosses from X), I think I'd say the optional boss fights in 12. Without grinding, some of the hunts seemed pretty impossible when first available, and there were just a ton of fights where I was on the edge of a party wipe for half the fight. If we counting spin-offs, then probably FFT. I didn't play 13, but apparently some of those fights were pretty tough unless you really balanced your team and knew how to take advantage of the systems. I also didn't play 4DS, which outside of a few RNG-heavy encounters, supposedly had pretty tough fights.

Too hard to gauge the easiest, since a lot of the rest were pretty easy in various ways.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd say in terms of overall difficulty, FF4 is the toughest. Your party is always changing, you often get restricted to who or what you can do in a fight, and bosses after you enter the second world simply do NOT gently caress around. It's got the most grueling dungeons, the harshest random encounter rate, and is just overall punishing. It even resets your main character's level a good chunk through the first act of the game!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kanfy posted:

After gaming for 20 years at that point, the PS2 era games did not seem so hard as when I was playing the early titles as a dumb kid. 30 years and having to select a potion 100 times is way more daunting when I have better mechanics to spend my time on.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DizzyBum posted:

2 wasn't necessarily unforgiving, you just needed to know that, unlike every other FF game, buffs were king. You could be plinking away doing three-digit damage to weakling random encounter enemies with the best weapons at 16 proficiency, or you could cast Haste, Berserk, and Aura and reach the damage cap against anything.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
2 is either really hard or really easy depending entirely on how well you know the mechanics. Evasion is FF2's god stat, swords trump pretty much all other weapons (except fists if you're going pure caster), heavy armor is completely inferior to light armor in every imaginable way, and if anything the old "HIT YOURSELF TO BOOST YOUR HP" is not only a waste of time but can be actively detrimental since late-game enemies can deal 1/16 of a character's max HP per hit (and can do like 8-10 hits which is half a character's HP no matter what their max is) and forces you to cast Cure more, which makes it cost more MP as you level it. Buffs/Debuffs help a good bit too, but like other games you have to know which ones are good and which ones are completely useless. But if you know the game well enough you can break even the NES version in half twice-over, let alone the remakes which make leveling up considerably easier (and with the PSP version giving you good loot even earlier).

2 would be fun to go back and revisit in a "break the game in half" way like many here do with 8 if the rest of the game weren't terrible. The NES version's limited inventory is completely loving horrible since each individual item takes a slot and a third of that space by the end will be taken up by key items you can't get rid of, to the point where you kill a guy much more powerful than you to skip getting an airship pass and give a baby dragon to die with a dragoon just so you can hold another drat Elixir. And of course the dungeon design is absolutely horrible and the monster closets are one of the worst things to appear in a series full of terrible ideas. The remakes help somewhat, but it's still kind of a slog overall. Plus the world is one massive interconnected continent which is just bizarre, though it also allows you to get late-game magic and equipment before you even tackle your first proper dungeon (assuming you survive the trek to it).

FF2 is a weird, weird game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FF2 may have been the very first SaGa game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The thing you should know about FF2, are that shields increase agility, which leads to you being able to better dodge attacks to the point where you would be taking 400 damage, versus 6000+ without using them. Heavy armor increases your strength, which can make fighting the Captains easier and to increase your HP/MP. The casting cost of spells is not even an issue with Swap if you have one spell to focus on building MP.
Having 8 evasion and 10 Magic Block makes every fight a breeze.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Heavy armor increases your strength, which can make fighting the Captains easier and to increase your HP/MP.

Not true, at least in the NES version. Some pieces of armor do increase Strength, but three pieces actually have very low spellcasting penalties, leaving only the Giant Gloves and Helm. Otherwise, heavy armor gives major evasion and spellcasting penalties while not even offering much of a difference defense-wise. The Diamond Armor and Cuirass have the same defense score, but the Cuirass has significantly smaller penalties to evasion and casting. Hell, the cuirasses are even cheaper than the heavy armor.

Heavy Armor makes no god drat sense in the NES version as it ends up being completely outclassed by cuirasses in every aspect imaginable (except some elemental resistances from mid-game armors, which are kinda lame anyway compared to the status effect resistances).

Source

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I never played the NES version.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

They might've changed things for the remakes, I don't know about those myself. Wouldn't surprise me if they tweaked heavy armor to make it a viable option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Nope, heavy armor still sucked. When I played Dawn of Souls, my heavy armor characters (Guy and Leon) were dead weights who got hit constantly, shields be damned. Firion, who I kept in light armor all game, rarely got hit and evade-tanked the final boss.