Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everything looks great to me so far. The 6th Ranger is probably gonna be Silver as that's been the case for every anniversary season so far since Gaoranger, but it would be nice if they decided to change it up a bit this year.

I'm also sort of curious how or if they'll handle the anniversary aspect this time around outside of the usual Vs. Super Sentai movie. Though that also means we're probably just going to get a few members of Ninninger showing up rather than a full team up (which I'd be fine with as long as said members are Kasumi and/or Kinji, though really anyone but Takaharu will do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Don't kid yourself, it'll be Takaharu alone and he'll proceed to teach the Zyuohger how cool he is and how they should all be like him.

He'll then stick to the series forever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Can Of Worms posted:

Um, I thought the adaptation of Ninninger was the one with the game show villains???

Gamer =/= game show

They're both game-ish, but different.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Shout Factory took the opportunity to announce Kakuranger DVDs during the Zyuranger marathon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FortMax posted:

Shout Factory took the opportunity to announce Kakuranger DVDs during the Zyuranger marathon.

ffffffffffffffffffuck yes

i really need to bite the bullet and grab zyuranger and dairanger

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Do it. The subs have some editing issues, but the translation is solid.

Dairanger has some video quality issues (you may not notice them, and it's at least half Toei's fault), but Zyuranger uses the exact same video files as the Japanese DVDs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

FortMax posted:

Yesssss! Any word of a release date? I hope these are selling well enough that we can accelerate past one per year soon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yesssss! Any word of a release date? I hope these are selling well enough that we can accelerate past one per year soon.

Just "2016"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FortMax posted:

Do it. The subs have some editing issues, but the translation is solid.

Dairanger has some video quality issues (you may not notice them, and it's at least half Toei's fault), but Zyuranger uses the exact same video files as the Japanese DVDs.

They're sitting in my cart now, waiting for me to have an extra seventy bucks

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Awesome news, I'll need to pre-order one it is available.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I went to Anime Jungle yesterday and they had Haoh Shurikenzin on display. That thing is loving massive.

They also had Kyoryuger on a tv with tv-nihon subs and I wept inside.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dr Tran posted:

They also had Kyoryuger on a tv with tv-nihon subs and I wept inside.
I was surprised when I heard!

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Changeman 07

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Poison Mushroom posted:

I was surprised when I heard!

We make fun of TV-Nihon a lot here, but I still really like the Boukenger "____ is also an adventure!"

My friends and I abused that expression constantly in college to refer to mundane poo poo we were about to do.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Shout! Factory has all 50 episodes of Zyuranger up for streaming, and it's free

Not sure where all it's available, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Guess who's back

Back again

Hongo's back

Tell a friend

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
All I can think looking at it is "rider 3 was a vastly superior modernization of the original suit".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

In the movie, this is supposed to be Rider 1's form upgrade. Mid-season or final, I'm not sure. Looks more like a mid-season.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Waffleman_ posted:

In the movie, this is supposed to be Rider 1's form upgrade. Mid-season or final, I'm not sure. Looks more like a mid-season.

Well, he certainly looks Stronger.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
It's just so bulky and wide and he doesn't look like he can move very well in it. Rider 3 was perfection, they should've gone for something closer to it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I like how his helmet has a whole Darth Vader thing happening now.

My favorite Rider 1 redesign is Kamen Rider The First, where he's still recognizably Kamen Rider 1, but also he looks more like an evil biker cyborg designed by ex-nazi super scientists.

The popped collar really brings it together.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
He's uh... He's really been letting himself go, huh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rider HUGE. Rider smash puny Shocker.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am A OK with how bulky that suit is.

Hongo has been a Rider for 45 goddamn years. That makes total sense especially in a Dark Knight Returns kind of way.

Can't wait for this. First Rider movie where the Riders aren't fighting each other in far too long!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Burkion posted:

Hongo has been a Rider for 45 goddamn years. That makes total sense especially in a Dark Knight Returns kind of way.

Can't wait for this. First Rider movie where the Riders aren't fighting each other in far too long!

Nigo and V3 will show up, not recognize Ichigo's new form, and fight him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

They're gonna fight.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

except dark knight returns is poo poo and he only trotted out that suit to fight literal superman, he fought everyone else in his spandex

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

except dark knight returns is poo poo and he only trotted out that suit to fight literal superman, he fought everyone else in his spandex

I wasn't referring to the power armor stuff actually.

I was referring to the general aesthetic of Batman being blockier and more haggard due to age. Before that was the only thing Frank Millar could draw anyways.

Dark Knight Returns is a very flawed work that doesn't deserve all of the praise it gets, but it has elements of it that are really good, and the artwork, for the most part, fits that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Comparing a cyborg character who presumably doesn't fall prey to old age to the Dark Knight Returns doesn't really fit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Justin_Brett posted:

Comparing a cyborg character who presumably doesn't fall prey to old age to the Dark Knight Returns doesn't really fit.

Uh

It's the same actor. He's aged. You can see him in the image. He's not exactly an athletically fit young man anymore.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

Uh

It's the same actor. He's aged. You can see him in the image. He's not exactly an athletically fit young man anymore.

Fujioka's Japanese Grandpa face is super powerful. I'm glad they keep letting him reprise his role, because he's really awesome. He strikes all the poses, and he still does a really awesome, dead serious delivery of the character.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

Fujioka's Japanese Grandpa face is super powerful. I'm glad they keep letting him reprise his role, because he's really awesome. He strikes all the poses, and he still does a really awesome, dead serious delivery of the character.

I agree whole heartedly. It's a huge reason why I'm glad the design did change, and is more bulky. It's a sign of respect towards the actor.

I love Fujioka a lot, and I'm super stoked he's getting what seems like a solo movie after 45 years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hongo's always had kind of a powerful face.

The years have been pretty kind to him, really.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

I agree whole heartedly. It's a huge reason why I'm glad the design did change, and is more bulky. It's a sign of respect towards the actor.

I love Fujioka a lot, and I'm super stoked he's getting what seems like a solo movie after 45 years.

It's worth noting that part of the reason for the new suit is probably so they can do a mask off scene, the new suit would look a lot better on him than the original suit would these days

Also it's kinda hilarious that apparently the new Shocker offshoot's main shtick is apparently being in control of World Finances, makes me wonder if a new version of Big Machine will be in charge of it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I can't be the only one that's repulsed by how the Goemon Soul looks on the Boost set. That pale yellow green does not at all go with the red and black.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Xelkelvos posted:

I can't be the only one that's repulsed by how the Goemon Soul looks on the Boost set. That pale yellow green does not at all go with the red and black.

All of the new Souls look pretty drat bad when worn on top of Boost. Ryoma and Himiko look just as garish and terrible. I don't know what the staff (and toy designers) were thinking when they did that. It should have been a more seamless transition with new design elements integrating into the Boost suit from the eyecons, as opposed to the downright laziest concept of more tacky parka hoods. It's a shame because Boost itself is a great looking design... but then Takeru has to wear mismatched bulky crap on top of it.

The upgraded Boost Musashi looks pretty cool because it actually matches the color scheme, but it's still lazy as hell.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 27, 2016

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I feel like Boost Ryoma isn't too bad, just because red and blue go very well together, compared to red and yellow-green.

The problem is, because Boost is this powerful RED color, it's hard to make the eyecons look good on top of it. The Ghost staff really should've considered a different base color, like how My Soul being black, naturally makes souls look good over it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

It's worth noting that part of the reason for the new suit is probably so they can do a mask off scene, the new suit would look a lot better on him than the original suit would these days

Also it's kinda hilarious that apparently the new Shocker offshoot's main shtick is apparently being in control of World Finances, makes me wonder if a new version of Big Machine will be in charge of it

I would just love to see Fujioka in the Rider suit sans helmet beating the poo poo out of dudes. That would be the best goddamn thing.

I just love everything about this so far. If we get, like, a final show down between him and the Great Leader, that would be perfect.

Also Shocker is a confusing mess of an organization. At this rate between the manga version, the OG Shocker, the Gel Shocker the Neo Shocker The Dai Shocker the Movie Shockers

Really they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

I would just love to see Fujioka in the Rider suit sans helmet beating the poo poo out of dudes. That would be the best goddamn thing.

I just love everything about this so far. If we get, like, a final show down between him and the Great Leader, that would be perfect.

Also Shocker is a confusing mess of an organization. At this rate between the manga version, the OG Shocker, the Gel Shocker the Neo Shocker The Dai Shocker the Movie Shockers

Really they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

They'll probably just go with regular Shocker like usual. Also out of curiousity, where exactly did the Skull Suit grunts commanly associated with Shocker come from? As I seem to remember the grunts in the original Kamen Rider being red-suited men with no masks. In fact I don't remember any of the grunts in the Showa era Kamen Riders looking quite like that (though Destron from V3 is kind of close). Now admitedly I haven't seen the first series all the way through (just what's been subbed and the final episode) so correct me if I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

They'll probably just go with regular Shocker like usual. Also out of curiousity, where exactly did the Skull Suit grunts commanly associated with Shocker come from? As I seem to remember the grunts in the original Kamen Rider being red-suited men with no masks. In fact I don't remember any of the grunts in the Showa era Kamen Riders looking quite like that (though Destron from V3 is kind of close). Now admitedly I haven't seen the first series all the way through (just what's been subbed and the final episode) so correct me if I'm wrong.

They're in there- just the original Kamen Rider series, as you well know, was kind of an experiment from start to finish, constantly improving on its...everything as time went on. The first iteration of what would become the iconic guys showed up with that cactus dude from Mexico, hence why they look like luchadors.

They were NOT the most common used of the foot soldiers though, that's for sure. It's kind of remarkable that any of their endless designs got signaled out as iconic. The Destron Soldiers likely helped with that I guess.

• Locked thread