Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Morglon posted:

Another Dragon's Dogma: It's really easy to click through all the dialogue and attack the NPC you were just talking to by accident, there really should be a setting to not do that.

is left click used for both attack and interact? how does that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

It's a console port that plays much better on a gamepad, where this isn't the case. Still dumb M&K controls though.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
So Darkest Dungeon (:v:) has an enemy with an attack called The Revenge. It blows up and deals a bunch of damage to everyone, enough to force a quest abandon/party wipe fairly easily. There's no indication it does this beforehand, which is kind of dumb, but that's how enemies work in the game so whatever. Lesson learned.

The thing is, it's actually a timed attack. It's got fuckall to do with 'revenge', it just blows up on the second round. The first time it happened I'd almost killed it, so I thought it was a spite move, and the second and most recent time I'd still hit it.

Maybe it's just me, but that name really doesn't communicate 'will gently caress you next turn'.

Otoh it's super addicting and I stayed up way too late playing it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Action Tortoise posted:

Nah, you interact with E but the only way to progress through the dialogue is to actually click the little arrow in the chat window. Clicking also makes you attack when there's no chat window up.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Gitro posted:

So Darkest Dungeon (:v:) has an enemy with an attack called The Revenge. It blows up and deals a bunch of damage to everyone, enough to force a quest abandon/party wipe fairly easily. There's no indication it does this beforehand, which is kind of dumb, but that's how enemies work in the game so whatever. Lesson learned.

The thing is, it's actually a timed attack. It's got fuckall to do with 'revenge', it just blows up on the second round. The first time it happened I'd almost killed it, so I thought it was a spite move, and the second and most recent time I'd still hit it.

Maybe it's just me, but that name really doesn't communicate 'will gently caress you next turn'.

Otoh it's super addicting and I stayed up way too late playing it.

Literally every time I go to the cove the only loading tooltip is "thralls will explode if left alone too long"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I just started Parasite Eve for the first time on a whim and I get the feeling it's going to be a bit annoying. The combat is kind of neat but the exploration bits suffer badly from 90s era "you must be standing right on top of an item with the right facing to interact" issues. For example, early on you need to read a diary to progress - it's not subtle, when you approach the dresser it's sitting on the camera changes so you see this BIG OBVIOUS OPEN RED BOOK to check. But it still takes ten seconds of walking slowly against the edge of the dresser and mashing X until you activate the thing.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Ryoshi posted:

I just started Parasite Eve for the first time on a whim and I get the feeling it's going to be a bit annoying. The combat is kind of neat but the exploration bits suffer badly from 90s era "you must be standing right on top of an item with the right facing to interact" issues. For example, early on you need to read a diary to progress - it's not subtle, when you approach the dresser it's sitting on the camera changes so you see this BIG OBVIOUS OPEN RED BOOK to check. But it still takes ten seconds of walking slowly against the edge of the dresser and mashing X until you activate the thing.

Aya runs notoriously slowly in Parasite Eve, even by 90s JRPG standards.
Just wait until NPCs start shoving 100% useless items into your inventory :cripes:

Still, stick with it if you can! I'm really quite fond of it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Poulpe posted:

Aya runs notoriously slowly in Parasite Eve, even by 90s JRPG standards.
Just wait until NPCs start shoving 100% useless items into your inventory :cripes:

Still, stick with it if you can! I'm really quite fond of it

Yeah I actually really like it so far but I just feel like there's going to be times where I have to look up what to do next just due to the interface.

I'm playing it on my Vita in short bursts which leads to inadvertent grinding so I ended up wandering out of Day 1 at like level 10 or something absurd like that.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

Final Fantasy XIII obviously has a whole host of major problems, but a little quibble that's bugging me as I ignore the big stuff to enjoy the combat is how in the last couple of chapters, for some reason, every cutscene is preceded by an unskippable in-engine bit of your active party walking forward a few steps. It serves no purpose except drawing out the interruption to the gameplay.

It sounds like a way to disguise loading.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Survarium and it's terrible netcode is my current peeve. For a strictly multiplayer shooter, the fact that the netcode is dramatically worse than the last time I played, about a year ago, is seriously disheartening. The game has had dozens of updates since then, yet somehow they cannot figure out how to make the game playable for people outside of Eastern Europe.

And to rub it in, they added a killcam which seems to show what the other player sees. So that guy that somehow killed me even though I unloaded a full clip into at 10 feet away? I get to watch my character make footstep noises in place, alerting him to my presence, then him turn around and get off 3 shots before I even start firing, and since he moved a step to the right during this time my character is shooting off into space, and by the time I'm dead (on his screen) I've only fired about 8 shots, not the 30 I shot on my screen.

Oh, and the game has a bug where all footsteps are about 15-20 feet behind the players (a time delay pretty much), so that lets people both sneak up without being heard, or poo poo like my situation where my character is making footstep noises even though he's crouched and perfectly still. It doesn't always happen though, sometimes I won't be able to hear footsteps at all!

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Krinkle posted:

Literally every time I go to the cove the only loading tooltip is "thralls will explode if left alone too long"

Yeah I have some sort of bizarre blindness when it comes to those loading screen tips. Not the game's fault, obviously.

I maintain that it's a dumb name, and 'too long' doesn't really imply one round :colbert:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oh i'm not going to lie I got 100% wiped by a thrall exploding, and no-mercy deathblows from his friends before I could heal even one person, but AFTER that it's the only tooltip I see.

The game just loving lies to you sometimes, like when you fight the hag she puts a random party member in a pot and they start to die immediately. And they are screaming for help. Please attack the pot, they scream. If you do that the witch just puts them back in the pot. Then they get to 0hp and fall out, and she instantly throws sauce on your entire party and wouldn't you know it's an instant deathblow. Then she instantly puts someone else in the pot. You run away because gently caress this I'm not prepared. The person in the pot dies also. You don't get their trinkets back.

Apparently the correct thing to do is just murder her as fast as possible because she can't take free turns if you just let someone get parboiled and ignore their pleas for mercy. The tutorial like dialog "hit the pot to let me out! this really hurts!"
is there 100% to gently caress with you and wipe half your party before you figure it out.

e: spoiler tags, I guess, maybe you want to be surprised.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Jan 27, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Krinkle posted:

Oh i'm not going to lie I got 100% wiped by a thrall exploding, and no-mercy deathblows from his friends before I could heal even one person, but AFTER that it's the only tooltip I see.

The game just loving lies to you sometimes, like when you fight the hag she puts a random party member in a pot and they start to die immediately. And they are screaming for help. Please attack the pot, they scream. If you do that the witch just puts them back in the pot. Then they get to 0hp and fall out, and she instantly throws sauce on your entire party and wouldn't you know it's an instant deathblow. Then she instantly puts someone else in the pot. You run away because gently caress this I'm not prepared. The person in the pot dies also. You don't get their trinkets back.

Apparently the correct thing to do is just murder her as fast as possible because she can't take free turns if you just let someone get parboiled and ignore their pleas for mercy. The tutorial like dialog "hit the pot to let me out! this really hurts!"
is there 100% to gently caress with you and wipe half your party before you figure it out.

e: spoiler tags, I guess, maybe you want to be surprised.

In all fairness the game does encourage you to actively gently caress over your failing heroes in the name of progress and profit a large amount of the time

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dragon's Dogma: You are limited to one save, though you get a second save of sorts in that there are "checkpoints" made when you go into the rift or rest at an inn. Apparently though, when turning in quests that advance the plot (and generally, plot advancement causes side quests to be failed) the game also counts it as a checkpoint. So I have a single solitary quest showing up as a failure for me because it made a checkpoint save when I turned in a plot quest, when it should only be making checkpoint saves if I went into a rift or rested at an inn.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
All the talk about Darkest Dungeon in this thread, positive or negative, makes it sound extremely loving unpleasant to play even by roguelike standards (it is a roguelike, isn't it?).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RyokoTK posted:

All the talk about Darkest Dungeon in this thread, positive or negative, makes it sound extremely loving unpleasant to play even by roguelike standards (it is a roguelike, isn't it?).

There's no real fail state but in new game+ You have an arbitrary time limit and death limit to get to the end or its game over.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

It's roguelike-ish. Your heroes can die, permanently losing your invested upgrades, but there's always more, and you can never run out of resources. At worst it'd be super, super grindy to get your max level/upgrade dudes back up. If you party wipe or a character dies and you don't win the fight you lose all their equipped trinkets (accessories, basically, each hero can wear two).

I'm not that far in but it's pretty fun, the aesthetics are great, the narrator is great. It's just got some dumbass bullshit that'll murder you the first time you run across it because it's not really communicated to you before you run into it face first. There's some bad little things, but hopefully you encounter most of them when you've only got replaceable level 0 morons.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

So Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII has an artificial time limit on the game. You have a set number of in-game days to finish it, and you can only increase that amount of days via finishing quests and even then you can only extend it for so long.

The rational part of me understands that there is a ton of time to finish poo poo. The irrational idiot man-baby part of me hates this limitation though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

kazil posted:

So Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII has an artificial time limit on the game. You have a set number of in-game days to finish it, and you can only increase that amount of days via finishing quests and even then you can only extend it for so long.

The rational part of me understands that there is a ton of time to finish poo poo. The irrational idiot man-baby part of me hates this limitation though.

Eh, that's a hump everyone has to get over. Once you get past that, the next thing is you realize that Chronostasis costs 1EP and there are a lot of enemies around, many quite easy to kill, that give 2EP. After that you basically have infinite time in a variety of areas with some minor route optimization.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Ramos posted:

Eh, that's a hump everyone has to get over. Once you get past that, the next thing is you realize that Chronostasis costs 1EP and there are a lot of enemies around, many quite easy to kill, that give 2EP. After that you basically have infinite time in a variety of areas with some minor route optimization.

It's very easy to have all the major plot questlines finished by day 3 if you abuse Chronostasis, I spent days 9 through 13 with nothing to do as I'd done every quest by that stage.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, even stumbling my way through the game for the first time, I had all of the main quests done by day five (with a ton of side questing on the side), all side quests done by day seven, sat around until day nine for some better gear, and then had all relevant enemies extinct by the end of day ten.

I figure eventually running through the game with no chronostasis is going to be interesting, but not necessarily challenging. The game seems to have been explicitly designed with the time limit being all you need to do most of the stuff in the game and chronostasis was added in when people were uneasy about the time limit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
There's something about games with time limits that make people freak out, even when they're incredibly generous limits or the game's meticulously designed around them. I can't personally speak for Dead Rising, although I know that game was really good about the time limits, but I remember people getting lovely about the time limits in Majora's Mask. You know, the game all about making a Groundhog Day time loop your bitch.

EDIT: The turn limit imposed by the enemy fleet did kinda ruin FTL sometimes, though. That's a game that was really great with exploration, but just didn't let you explore as much as you'd want.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Jan 27, 2016

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It's been years since I played Fallout 2 but was there ever a hard end time? I know if you get the GECK then your village are taken by the Enclave which (I believe) stops the countdown and the Hannukin FMV's anyway, but if I dick around long enough is it possible to get a game over?

I also never got the game over in Shenmue either where if you spend a solid year or two(?) playing with kittens Lan-Di returns and straight up murders your lazy rear end.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I believe there was a hard time limit of something like 13 years in fallout 2.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Leal posted:

Dragon's Dogma: You are limited to one save, though you get a second save of sorts in that there are "checkpoints" made when you go into the rift or rest at an inn. Apparently though, when turning in quests that advance the plot (and generally, plot advancement causes side quests to be failed) the game also counts it as a checkpoint. So I have a single solitary quest showing up as a failure for me because it made a checkpoint save when I turned in a plot quest, when it should only be making checkpoint saves if I went into a rift or rested at an inn.

It's doubly annoying because many side-quests tend to have others as a prerequisite. For me one single early-game quest bugged out, and thanks to the autosave I couldn't revert back to my earlier savepoint before I even started it. Thanks to that, I'm now locked out of three or four further quests and a small area that's unlocked by them.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

0 rows returned posted:

I believe there was a hard time limit of something like 13 years in fallout 2.
That was Fallout 1 if I'm not mistaken. Fallout 2 just has Hannukin or whatever nag you every now and then, but you can take as long as you like.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Fallout 1 had a much shorter time limit (after the even shorter one for the water chip) which I thick was then taken out in a patch. However, the engine was hard-coded iirc to require some sort of time limit and so the devs went for something high and arbitrary that most players would never reach for Fallout 2, hence the 13 years.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Huh, I didn't know that. That's pretty crazy.

So what happens if you pass that time limit after you've already brought back the GECK?

fake edit: All you get is a dumb game over screen, hah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwzFJzedzfU

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
The time limit in Dead Rising 1 and 2 was only a real issue if you were trying to save as many Survivors as possible. Unfortunately, saving Survivors is one of the best ways to get PP (experience) so you either have to get over the fact that you WILL lose a Survivor or two, or plan out an optimal route through the mall.

The worst part about those two games was that main missions had time limits, and those limits could expire even if you were an inch from completing the quest. One quest in 2 has you chasing a dude on a motorcycle in an underground tunnel, and I "failed" the main mission because I ran out of time, in the middle of an unstoppable cutscene after you catch said dude. :(

Fake edit: But the very worst part of 2 was that you couldn't keep Snowflake, she would leave and chill with Katy if you entered the safe room. Snowflake was pure death to any psycho.

QuietLion has a new favorite as of 17:26 on Jan 27, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cleretic posted:

There's something about games with time limits that make people freak out, even when they're incredibly generous limits or the game's meticulously designed around them. I can't personally speak for Dead Rising, although I know that game was really good about the time limits, but I remember people getting lovely about the time limits in Majora's Mask. You know, the game all about making a Groundhog Day time loop your bitch.

EDIT: The turn limit imposed by the enemy fleet did kinda ruin FTL sometimes, though. That's a game that was really great with exploration, but just didn't let you explore as much as you'd want.

Everybody lost their poo poo over Pikmin having a time limit, even though its a fairly casual kids' game, so Pikmin 2 didn't even have one. Then they added an extremely loose and forgiving time limit in Pikmin 3 and people STILL lost their poo poo over it. People really really don't like the stress of time limits. Just the idea of a time limit is stressful, even if it isn't practically even a limit.

Leal posted:

This poo poo drives me bonkers. Dragon's Dogma is a great game but it should absolutely have multiple save positions.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Everybody lost their poo poo over Pikmin having a time limit, even though its a fairly casual kids' game, so Pikmin 2 didn't even have one. Then they added an extremely loose and forgiving time limit in Pikmin 3 and people STILL lost their poo poo over it. People really really don't like the stress of time limits. Just the idea of a time limit is stressful, even if it isn't practically even a limit.

Pikmin 2 did it just about right. You still have a time limit when you're out and about, but there's no limit to the number of days you can play. Pikmin 2 is practically perfect in every way though so that's not surprising

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nostradingus posted:

Pikmin 2 did it just about right. You still have a time limit when you're out and about, but there's no limit to the number of days you can play. Pikmin 2 is practically perfect in every way though so that's not surprising

3 works out fine in practice too though, you feel like you're being pushed to get more juice to stay alive, but there's more than enough juice everywhere you go. You end up getting a huge buffer of juice really easy and then you chill out about it. It just keeps you from farting around forever at the end game, but even then you've got enough buffer you can go back and waste lots of time trying to get things you missed. Also the sound it makes when it squeezes the fruit into juice is so drat satisfying :3

But yeah 2 was really good also.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
So still playing Dragon's Dogma and something weird has started happening. About a third of the time I walk into the castle to do something I will get arrested for no reason. Just walking up the the front door, guard comes up, dungeon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Morglon posted:

So still playing Dragon's Dogma and something weird has started happening. About a third of the time I walk into the castle to do something I will get arrested for no reason. Just walking up the the front door, guard comes up, dungeon.

Maybe you shouldn't be such a 1/3 horrid criminal. :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Morglon posted:

You're forbidden from walking around the castle at night, so perhaps that's it? I don't think the game really explicitly communicates that to you until you do a certain quest.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
I've been loving around in the Everfall in Dragon's Dogma for awhile to fund my expeditions into Bitterblack Isle with wakestones and I found a rotunda with a cockatrice in it that revealed a little thing about the pawn AI that really bothers me. Cockatrices petrify your pawns with a breath attack, which is a time delay instant kill that won't allow you to revive the afflicted pawn because they turn into a statue and shatter, and there's 2 ways to cure it: use one of 2 dedicated anti-petrification curatives or have a sorcerer who knows High Voidspell. I normally stock my pawns with the curative because losing a pawn forever in the middle of a fight sucks and high voidspell takes awhile to charge up, and I've noticed that every time my pawns get hit with the Cockatrice's breath attack they chug the curative immediately afterwards. There isn't any kind of grace period for a pawn or the player to charge up a healing spell even though petrification takes something ridiculous like 40 seconds to actually kill the afflicted and the pawns wind up wasting that emergency backup they were SUPPOSED to use when the sorcerer was down or otherwise occupied.

I'm sure it's the same with all the other status effects in the game, but the only one I ever care to carry around a cure for is petrification. It doesn't matter at all in the long run but gently caress, that secret softener you just wasted was 500 gold I could have used to buy 1/140th of a pilgrim's charm.

Perestroika posted:

You're forbidden from walking around the castle at night, so perhaps that's it? I don't think the game really explicitly communicates that to you until you do a certain quest.

It shows up as a loading screen tooltip when you go into or out of the castle. But who the gently caress actually reads the loading screens?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Malleum posted:

they chug the curative immediately afterwards.

Pawns instantly using stuff sucks, especially if they say pick up a sour ambrosial meat without you knowing and snatching it back and they use it :shepface:

Malleum posted:

It shows up as a loading screen tooltip when you go into or out of the castle. But who the gently caress actually reads the loading screens?

Everytime I show up in the demense at night it shows a tooltip on the bottom explicitly saying "The night guard is on patrol stay around and you'll be arrested" even with tutorial messages off :shrug:

E:

Leal has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jan 27, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Perestroika posted:

Oh that's retarded. Yeah it doesn't tell you but there's several quests where the NPC flat out tells you that poo poo's important and needs to be done right the gently caress now. In that case point still stands but is different, the game needs to tell you poo poo like that.

Edit: I've never seen that message. I have been doing other poo poo during loading screens on occasion so that may be it.

Morglon has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Jan 28, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cleretic posted:

Exploration? The game was pretty much an animation of your ship with like 3 or 4 different backgrounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Morglon posted:

I've found the same is true every time I kill the duchess and throw her in the lake. What the hell Capcom?

What's getting me about the game lately - and maybe it's really a problem with my expectations - is that a lot of quests will give you a choice to make; but one of those choices will be met with a "FAILED" message and lock you out of some future meetings or quests. In the end, that's not so bad. There probably aren't enough games that really stick you with consequences, but it irks me when I see that fail screen, for example, when I ("Arousing Suspicion" Spoiler)let the Duke kill the duchess