Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

suicidesteve posted:

Interestingly enough (to me) Craig Kremples is 7th place on that top 8, so apparently he wasn't just some guy.

And what LSV is doing is the Pickles lock and it's fantastic.

I mean, let's be real here. It's LSV. The Pickles lock is in his deck but what he's actually doing is Chording for Arcanis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Both me and Zoness know what the Pickles lock looks like, but it almost looks like it was jammed it that deck as an afterthought.

Also it's still totally Wooly Spider :colbert:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Running 4 Bob and 4 Greater Gargadon and zero scry/library manipulation is certainly bold.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yeah it seems like you'd have to be pretty confidant.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah it seems like you'd have to be pretty confidant.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Just slot Bob into the new mono-b Eldrazi deck. No balls, you won't do it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

basically the story is that bob was so powerful that you just jammed it in with greater gargadon or hit//run or whatever the gently caress

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

basically the story is that bob was so powerful that you just jammed it in with greater gargadon or hit//run or whatever the gently caress

Treasure Cruise or Dig Through Time is another good choice here imo :rip:.

I just think there's something funny about playing bob with high mana cost spells that are never cast for how much bob dings you for with them.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

There was a time of bob+tombstalker decks probably about five years back.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Zoness posted:

Treasure Cruise or Dig Through Time is another good choice here imo :rip:.

I just think there's something funny about playing bob with high mana cost spells that are never cast for how much bob dings you for with them.

The first game I ever played with vintage BUG Fish: turn 1 Lotus, land, double Bob.

Turn 2 flip Dig and Force. Turn 3 flip Force and Cruise. That was when I learned why nobody else had Cruise/Dig in their lists.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sigma-X posted:

Running 4 Bob and 4 Greater Gargadon and zero scry/library manipulation is certainly bold.

Even now modern Jund runs bob and Tasigur / Angler together. I'd need to take a shot every time drew a card.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zoness posted:

Unrelated but in IRC we were talking what the earliest playable Reach creature was (not counting Woolly spider because that format was a joke)

By earliest printing I think it's Silklash Spider, but that wasn't played until 2012. It looks like that honor goes to Thornweald Archer (cloudthresher is probably the notable one though).

During the search I ran into lists from the best standard format ever though:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=6&d=101507&f=ST

Look at the piles in this top 8, including an aggro deck with bob and a 10 mana spell and whatever lsv is trying to do.

Also a reminder that Solar Flare is a deck that got its name because Angel of Despair apparently looked like Krillin(who only uses it the once on Frieza - Tien is the original user) to the guy who named the deck.

This really was the best standard ever. Two good but not oppressive combo decks, tons of control and aggro varieties, some really good stuff. Future Sight adding the first Dredge deck to the mix made it even more interesting, and TSP/LOR standard was almost as good.

Good times.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Shortest Path posted:

This really was the best standard ever. Two good but not oppressive combo decks, tons of control and aggro varieties, some really good stuff. Future Sight adding the first Dredge deck to the mix made it even more interesting, and TSP/LOR standard was almost as good.

Good times.

Coldsnap also added Marytr of Sands + Proclamation of Rebirth in a snow-based Scrying Sheets shell. That standard was awesome.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's time for Story time: Power Rangers edition, now featuring zero Power Rangers!

Jori En wakes up in lovely polluted water surrounded by dead sea monsters, and finds an unconscious and beaten to poo poo Kiora who's also in shock. After making splints and poo poo, kiora uses some sort of healing magic to make her better. Kiora realizes that she's lost her bident and cajoles Jori En to help her find it. I would say "look for" but she actually has a magic connection to it. Anyway they find their way to a secret underwater enormous cave with the bismuth poo poo all over the place, but then they need to start going through super super narrow passages and kiora is apparently claustrophobic or something so she starts freaking out. Eventually it gets so narrow that Kiora can't squeeze through or is too scared or something. Anyway Jori goes on but stays in contact with Kiora(who seems to kinda suck without the Bident for the whole story). The Bident starts moving so Jori has to hurry and she stumbles across a nest of Goblin Dark-Dwellers, who attack her. She knocks them off-balance by basically causing big soundwaves and then runs in and fights it off one of the off-balance goblins but gets badly hurt. She drags herself and the Bident over to Kiora, who is suddenly able now to rip apart the cave system(rip goblins, probably jealous that they're a better card than she is) and they go to the surface.

Fin.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 27, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Good times.

Yeah, I was thinking almost exactly this. LOR/ALA and ALA/ZEN were still ok, and then things never quite recovered after SOM.

Also is it really Solar Flare if it doesn't have reanimation spells in it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hi-rez Jori

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

Coldsnap also added Marytr of Sands + Proclamation of Rebirth in a snow-based Scrying Sheets shell. That standard was awesome.

Martyrtron was also a really sweet deck.

JerryLee posted:

Also is it really Solar Flare if it doesn't have reanimation spells in it?

I think zombify rotated out with 9ed, but also Angel of Despair is the key "solar flare" card obviously, take it from the deck namer:

quote:

I named this deck Taiyo-Ken after major Dragon Ball's technique, because Angel of Despair looks like Krilin. Solar Flare is the English name of Taiyo-Ken. I love to give decks cool names, as it's much better that a simple deck name like U/W/B control.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 27, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Well yes, but in ISD standard, the Solar Flare name was inherited by a deck that was Esper reanimator without Angel of Despair proper, so clearly the reanimation ended up being the salient feature. :goonsay:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv posted:

:words: about story

And now, time for "man Wizards' story department doesn't even know their own mediocre story"

In this OGW story summary article, also posted today, we have the line

quote:

with Kiora planeswalking away from her home world in despair.

OTOH the actual story article in question straight up has her on Zendikar and implies that she wants her bident back so she can get another crack at Kozilek

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

And now, time for "man Wizards' story department doesn't even know their own mediocre story"

In this OGW story summary article, also posted today, we have the line

OTOH the actual story article in question straight up has her on Zendikar and implies that she wants her bident back so she can get another crack at Kozilek

lol that's a pretty big oversight

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Serious question, would there be interest in doing an old standard tournament/league on xmage? I feel like we could have a lot of fun with rav/tsp standard.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Maybe she leaves after that last story

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
They probably should not have published a story that Bonds of Mortality, which originally read: "Creatures your opponents control lose hexproof and indestructible and can't have hexproof or indestructible" had to be changed to an activated ability because for "lose [ability] and can't have [ability]" to actually function in MTGO, every single card with that grants the ability has to be hardcoded to specifically interact with the card that causes the granting card to not grant it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 27, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

They probably should not have published a story that Bonds of Mortality, which originally read: "Creatures your opponents control lose hexproof and indestructible and can't have hexproof or indestructible" had to be changed to an activated ability because for "lose [ability] and can't have [ability]" to actually function in MTGO, every single card with that grants the ability has to be hardcoded to specifically interact with the card that causes the granting card to not grant it.

MTGO code gets ever more beautiful every time I hear about it. Here's the article for anyone interested.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Ramos posted:

MTGO code gets ever more beautiful every time I hear about it. Here's the article for anyone interested.

oh my god

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
lol how does it take a year to rewrite their mana payment system

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

After learning the lesson from the Archetypes, we had a series of conversations with Lead Developer of Oath Ian Duke to figure out how we could tweak this to be easier to code. At first, he pointed out that we'd already used this exact template, but as we explained the nature of the problem, he agreed that changing the card was the best option we had.

:allears:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

JerryLee posted:

Well yes, but in ISD standard, the Solar Flare name was inherited by a deck that was Esper reanimator without Angel of Despair proper, so clearly the reanimation ended up being the salient feature. :goonsay:

I thought that ISD standard deck was called solar flare because, y'know, it had Sun Titan in it, but apparently the name actually had nothing to do with sun titan. Which is dumb because that explanation makes more sense than whatever nonsense the original reasoning was.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

I thought that ISD standard deck was called solar flare because, y'know, it had Sun Titan in it, but apparently the name actually had nothing to do with sun titan. Which is dumb because that explanation makes more sense than whatever nonsense the original reasoning was.

Hating on DBZ is Forbidden

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mtgo is held together with duct tape

anglachel
May 28, 2012

playground tough posted:

lol how does it take a year to rewrite their mana payment system

Going back to the constant complaints that the salary is super low for developers in that area, and that they are struggling to keep and hire new people for the development teams. I wonder if the side effect is that the people who DO agree to go on and take lesser pay pretty much demand they get to be lazy as gently caress. I mean if they try to get on to those guys they can just laugh and truthfully state that replacing them would cost more money than just letting it ride, and Wizards seems okay with just letting it ride.....

Also the drat thing is the perfect example of spaghetti code, a new hire would probably take a few months just parsing what has been done previously. It's not unheard of for people in IT to leverage the fact that they are in a lovely paying position that will take a long time for someone else to get up to speed, into "I do the bare minimum, and only the bare minimum, what are you gonna do? Fire me? If I actually have to work I will go get a job where I get paid actual money"

anglachel fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 27, 2016

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Mtgo is held together with duct tape

If only it were duct tape, it's actually held together with wet toilet paper.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want a source code leak from MTGO soooo bad.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Cactrot posted:

If only it were duct tape, it's actually held together with wet toilet paper.

Toilet paper is the poorererer man's duct tape

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm not saying this deck is good, but I am saying its fun. Especially the Oath of Gideon into Sorin combo wombo.

4 Oath of Nissa
3 Oath of Gideon
4 Den Protector
2 Anafenza, the Foremost
3 Silkwrap
4 Stasis Snare
1 Murderous Cut
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
4 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited

Land:

4 Wooded Foothills
2 Hissing Quagmire
2 Llanowar Wastes
2 Canopy Vista
4 Flooded Strand
3 Shambling Vent
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Sunken Hollow
3 Windswept Heath
2 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Forest

Sideboard:

3 Duress
3 Flaying Tendrils
3 Hallowed Moonlight
1 Painful Truths
2 Surge of Righteousness
3 Arashin Cleric

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

Entropic posted:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You need two oaths of gideon for the wombo combo though?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

You need two oaths of gideon for the wombo combo though?

You can't have 2 of them to begin with

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh they're legendary, right.

So what's the combo you're talking about then? Sorin needs +2 to ult immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
It's like, actually not that crazy to think that a full rewrite of one of the core systems of the game, that touches client interaction, game logic, visuals, a million different cost payment prompts, etc. would take a serious amount of time. Especially while they're trying to maintain forward progress on implementing upcoming sets.

But also, like everyone else,

Entropic posted:

• Locked thread