Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dr Tran posted:

Just got my first iPhone. How do I sync my Windows 10 calendar? Everything I find is how to sync with outlook. Do I HAVE to install iTunes?

Have you tried syncing your Outlook account's calendar to see if that works? I've only used Windows 10 very little, but it seemed pretty integrated with Outlook.

You only need to install iTunes if you want to put media onto your phone (whether local files or iTunes Store purchases,) or create full local backups of your phone. iCloud backups don't require iTunes and will typically suffice if you find yourself needing to restore, but you'd have to re-download apps (I believe iCloud backups save app settings and will automate the downloading of them, but I'm not 100% on that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

enojy posted:

Have you tried syncing your Outlook account's calendar to see if that works? I've only used Windows 10 very little, but it seemed pretty integrated with Outlook.

You only need to install iTunes if you want to put media onto your phone (whether local files or iTunes Store purchases,) or create full local backups of your phone. iCloud backups don't require iTunes and will typically suffice if you find yourself needing to restore, but you'd have to re-download apps (I believe iCloud backups save app settings and will automate the downloading of them, but I'm not 100% on that.)

You don't need iTunes to add iTunes Store purchases. All purchased songs are available via the cloud.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only reason my phone and iPad interact with iTunes is to sync ringtones. Everything else is through the cloud.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I installed Outlook and I can see my calendar items there, but not on the iPhone's calendar. Close enough I guess.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dr Tran posted:

I installed Outlook and I can see my calendar items there, but not on the iPhone's calendar. Close enough I guess.

Go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, and Calendars, and add your Outlook.com account there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think I've used the iOS calendar app since like iOS 5.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Something must have gone wrong during set up. Deleted my outlook account and re-added it, now everything works.

Now I got to figure out what kind of case I want: basic/simple or fat battery.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unless you're killing your battery on video or games the internal should be good to get you through a full day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My two main killers are Awful and Facebook messenger, barely play any games or watch video and I usually have to charge in the evening. iPhone 6, ~15 months old.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think I've used the iOS calendar app since like iOS 5.

Same. Fantastical 2 is my go to calendar app.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dr Tran posted:

Something must have gone wrong during set up. Deleted my outlook account and re-added it, now everything works.

Now I got to figure out what kind of case I want: basic/simple or fat battery.

Check the last hundred pages for a suggestion or two (one).

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

If you're having mobile Safari crash when you open the address bar, disable Safari Suggestions in Settings for the time being.
Seems to be a widespread issue today.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

shrike82 posted:

If you're having mobile Safari crash when you open the address bar, disable Safari Suggestions in Settings for the time being.

Yeah it's happening on OSX too.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

shrike82 posted:

I'm still jailbroken on iOS8 and this was annoying me this morning trying to figure out the source of the issue. It fixed itself shorty before I checked MacRumors and noticed it was a wide spread issue.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I've been mystified as to why I haven't had this problem on any iThing or Mac.

Thanks for mentioning MacRumors because I read the article and checked all my settings and saw that I already had Safari Suggestions turned off everywhere.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only reason my phone and iPad interact with iTunes is to sync ringtones. Everything else is through the cloud.

Same. It drives me nuts that I have to use iTunes to sync ringtones though. I'm not even an iTunes hater really, not that I use it much anymore, but it's stupid that I have to use this huge loving monolith just to sync ringtones .

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ddogflex posted:

Same. It drives me nuts that I have to use iTunes to sync ringtones though. I'm not even an iTunes hater really, not that I use it much anymore, but it's stupid that I have to use this huge loving monolith just to sync ringtones .

Yeah that's all down to how ringtones are governed under separate contracts from music and the labels just don't care enough to renegotiate them.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Mulva posted:

Yeah that's all down to how ringtones are governed under separate contracts from music and the labels just don't care enough to renegotiate them.

I don't even use music ringtones. :(

(not true, I use the underworld theme from SMB1 because I'm a manchild)

It also use to be possible to get ringtones on the phone from a website though. I know I use to do that on my 4S.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone having issues with safari recently? Anytime I go to type something in the address bar, the app crashes. I'm on the latest iOS 9.2.1 with my iPhone 6s.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i didn't know people still used ringtones

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

nwin posted:

Anyone having issues with safari recently? Anytime I go to type something in the address bar, the app crashes. I'm on the latest iOS 9.2.1 with my iPhone 6s.

disable safari search suggestions in settings

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

I work in a cubicle farm and it's a huge contest to have the most retro nerd ringtone possible. So many NES games. :suicide:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
nice, sounds like literal hell

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

noirstronaut posted:

disable safari search suggestions in settings

Thanks-that worked! Has that been known for a while? I just started having issues after the update.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah check out the tech blogs from today. Happening in OS X too

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

noirstronaut posted:

same.

find one of the stock ringtones you like for when you're at home, else wise keep that poo poo on silent

alternatively, leave that poo poo on silent and let watch tell you when you're getting a phone call/text

welcome to non-nerdhell adulthood :D

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Phones are to be seen and not heard.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm embarrassed anytime my phone rings and a ringtone makes it worse but I am old and ring tones were novel when I got my first cell phone so they always will be necessary to me. Also someone called my ringtone "beautiful" yesterday, which is funny, because it's a Mexican brass cover of "Hey Ya."

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

My "phone" app on my 4S seems to have died. It makes and receives no sound while on a call since yesterday afternoon. My phone still rings, and the bloops when dialing still play, but once I connect, nothing. Everything else still works as normal, music plays, siri understand me, skype calls seem fine, so the actual hardware still works. Tried resetting to factory defaults through iTunes and still nothing. Anything else I can do short of going into the store and letting them tinker with it?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

The MGS codec ringtone is the only thing I've ever used.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The only 2 correct ringtones are Danger Zone or Everything is Awesome.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I spent 2 minutes once trying to get the CTU ringtone on my 3G so I could feel like it was 2004 again, but I gave up and have used the oldschool ring ever since.
Fair play to Apple for making it awkward enough that most people just do the same, and you never have to hear polyphonic versions of eminem and Linkin Park anymore.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

Xenoborg posted:

My "phone" app on my 4S seems to have died. It makes and receives no sound while on a call since yesterday afternoon. My phone still rings, and the bloops when dialing still play, but once I connect, nothing. Everything else still works as normal, music plays, siri understand me, skype calls seem fine, so the actual hardware still works. Tried resetting to factory defaults through iTunes and still nothing. Anything else I can do short of going into the store and letting them tinker with it?

This is also happening for me on my 6 starting yesterday morning. I did a FaceTime Audio call with a friend and that worked fine.

Incoming and outgoing calls didn't work. Happened at home and at work off wifi, just as added troubleshooting details.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Safari crashes everytime I tap the title bar to type in a URL what's up?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Turn off safari suggestions in your safari settings

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

it's on the same page!!!!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3664222&perpage=40&pagenumber=371#post455523271

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
The only ringtone worth having at this point is any remix of Marimba that you like.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I've had the Crank movie phone ring for at least 5 years...I really like it. People always ask me if my phone is running out of batteries. No, dude, its not.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

No idea man. That's hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.