Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Asimo posted:

Big popular conventions are things you do when you actually want to grow your audience by introducing your game to new people. If you're comfortable with a small niche playerbase of aging diehards then it doesn't matter.

Or if you're ordered by Hasbro to reduce costs since you're a glorified IP holding wing of Wotc anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Asimo posted:

Big popular conventions are things you do when you actually want to grow your audience by introducing your game to new people. If you're comfortable with a small niche playerbase of aging diehards then it doesn't matter.
You're not wrong; at PAX East during the 4e era that huge area was dedicated to just teaching people who've never tabletopped how to play D&D. The line was so long I literally had two minutes rest between groups, and I was doing short three-encounter dungeons just to get as many people through as I could. The whole idea was to get as many new people playing as possible.

Now, D&D is relegated to a corner of the tabletop area. It really does show where their priority is now.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Or if you're ordered by Hasbro to reduce costs since you're a glorified IP holding wing of Wotc anyway.
This too to some degree or another, yeah.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The IP holding thing is kinda weird since IPs that go unused don't usually appreciate in value.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I heard people at Gary Con don't want D&D since it's a con focused on older games. This is heresay, though.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Some people that go to Gary Con are not happy about it. I am glad they will be there and that means more games with Mearls and Chris Perkins for me I guess. Personally, I don't see the hate since without Peter Adkinson buying the game D&D would have died in the 90s and I'm not sure some of the RPG popularity there is today, at least for D&D goes, would exist today. Then again to some of these people the perfect version was created in 1974 so anything after Gygax's ousting is heresy anyway. Its also just fun for some rally against a corporate entity I am sure. Peter Adkinson was at Gary Con last year (and returning this year) and I don't remember anyone protesting that as an affront to D&D or the death of RPGs by having the man largely responsible for magic coming into being present at the con and playing D&D with the attendees.

I have to say that the D&D 5e launch at Gen Con was pretty awesome with the presence they had. It was severely disappointing last year since WotC had all but pulled out (Mearls and Perkins were wandering around and Baldman games were only running games). It paled in comparison to the previous year and was more on the level of something I would expect of a D&D tournament held in a high school cafeteria. I had insisted some of the first time Gen Con goers I brought with me sign up for the Saturday evening epic event based on how awesome of an experience it was in 2014 and I was downright embarrassed to be there after how it went in 2015.

Covok posted:

I heard people at Gary Con don't want D&D since it's a con focused on older games. This is heresay, though.

Gary Con is primarily about D&D. Luke Gygax is the main organizer after all. People play tons of other games there though, but the majority were created in 1985 at the latest.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
double post

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I meant 5e D&D.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of Luke, I don't know if anyone saw this but Gygax Magazine is folding after six issues.

Which isn't that surprising, really. I have three issues and they're not that great, and I say that as someone who loves old out-of-print RPGs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of Luke, I don't know if anyone saw this but Gygax Magazine is folding after six issues.

Which isn't that surprising, really. I have three issues and they're not that great, and I say that as someone who loves old out-of-print RPGs.

What were the magazine articles about?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

"Magazine folds, has issues" is a great headline.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

homullus posted:

The IP holding thing is kinda weird since IPs that go unused don't usually appreciate in value.

There's a Forgotten Realms movie in production now that Hasbro got the film rights out of limbo. I'd expect a massive Transformers-style IP push then, with tie-ins from Hasbro's other wings. What that means for the actual game remains to be seen, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

What were the magazine articles about?

Well, the idea was that it was an OSR-ish magazine, harkening back to the glory days of Dragon when it had stuff for games besides D&D.

What is was in practice was articles focused heavily on non-4e D&D and out-of-print games. Stuff was either so general as to be useless, or so specific I can't imagine who'd get any real use out of it.

Here's the contents of issue #5:
  • "Trader Kits". Which is an article about different types of traders and pre-built skill collections. Except that the article tries to be useful for The Dark Eye, Pathfinder, 5e, Adventures Dark & Deep, OSRIC, Arduin, and Swords & Wizardry. As a result, the mechanical parts are "whatever skills are equivalent to X, Y, and Z; this starting normal gear; how much extra cash they start with" and starts with a page of the history of "traders" in RPGs. Oh, and it has a 5e "Trader" class because as we all know that's what D&D is about!
  • A hit location/bigger hit system for THAC0 based games.
  • Tips, tricks, and variants for Munchkin.
  • A reprint and small expansion of the winner of 2014's One-Page Dungeon contest. To be fair, it was really well done.
  • An article by Jon Peterson about researching the origins of D&D.
  • "Pantheons in superhero settings", which is barely a blog post about "here are some ideas of how to work gods into superhero games". Like, maybe they're really aliens! Mind BLOWN!
  • An article expanding an adventure from the previous issue for the loving Top Secret! RPG.
  • An article on making "sense" rolls more interesting than just seeing if you detect something. The article helpfully tells us what the basic five senses in case you forgot or are six months old.
  • An okay article on being a better GM. But it's only two pages long so it doesn't really get to any real detail.
  • An adventure for Godlike for some reason.
  • A loving antipaladin class for...either 3.x or 5e, I'm not sure.
  • More metamagic feats for 3.x.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mecha Gojira posted:

There's a Forgotten Realms movie in production now that Hasbro got the film rights out of limbo. I'd expect a massive Transformers-style IP push then, with tie-ins from Hasbro's other wings. What that means for the actual game remains to be seen, though.

Yeah, this is what they're banking on at the moment I think. The question is whether or not a Forgotten Realms movie is going to blow up the way Michael Bay's Transformers movie did, I don't think even Hasbro was expecting that movie to spawn a multi-billion dollar blockbuster movie franchise the way that did, and given the track record with D&D movies to date I dunno how well this is going to pan out for them. It'll be interesting to see what happens either way...if the movie does really well, does that mean that the RPG department gets a shot in the arm? What happens if it bombs?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Here's the contents of issue #5:
  • More metamagic feats for 3.x.
because of course

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I subscribed to Gygax Magazine entirely because I knew one way or another something fascinating would come as a result after a while. This is not quite as dramatic as I had hoped, but it will do.

Now to wait until 2050 and cackle as I sell my mint copies for upwards of nearly what I paid! Who will be laughing then, you fools?!?!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Evil Mastermind posted:

A loving antipaladin class for...either 3.x or 5e, I'm not sure.

3.5 and 5e both have antipaladins already. 3.5 has about 6 of them.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, this is what they're banking on at the moment I think. The question is whether or not a Forgotten Realms movie is going to blow up the way Michael Bay's Transformers movie did, I don't think even Hasbro was expecting that movie to spawn a multi-billion dollar blockbuster movie franchise the way that did, and given the track record with D&D movies to date I dunno how well this is going to pan out for them. It'll be interesting to see what happens either way...if the movie does really well, does that mean that the RPG department gets a shot in the arm? What happens if it bombs?

If it does well? Maybe a new TTRPG Renaissance. If it bombs? Hasbro sits on the IP in hopes of trying again or just sells it.

I wonder if they're planning a new edition for the film, since we're still a few years out from a premiere date. The problem is they'd probably need to actually have any employees who, you know, actually work on things. And then you can't be guaranteed it's not another bland 3.x clone like 5e.

I mean, a popular film would be a perfect way to grab a new generation, but the games themselves are loaded with forty years of baggage and sacred cows, it almost seems counter productive. You'd have to start from the ground up, and we've already seen how the more vocal communities WOTC listens to get when you want to introduce change. I definitely don't see that kind of progressive game design coming out of Mike Mearls' team either.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I believe TSR's Top Secret holds that honor (but don't quote me).

Ah man, I had forgotten about that game. We never played it much as 15yo boys make really bad spies and every session ended in a near team kill. I would love to read through the books again.

It is becoming clear that despite their assurance that "we would never throw books away", that my parents trashed a loving ton of my old rpg books. The more I read this forum the more old games I remember owning and I have yet to find a single box of stuff in their (admittedly huge and full) garage.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mecha Gojira posted:

If it does well? Maybe a new TTRPG Renaissance. If it bombs? Hasbro sits on the IP in hopes of trying again or just sells it.

I kind of doubt that WotC would sell off the D&D IP even if the movie bombs hard. Hasbro isn't actually bankrolling the movie, are they? So even if it's a flop, they'd have no pressing need to sell the IP off since they own it outright, it costs them nothing to simply sit on it and milk it for Forgotten Realms novels and Yet Another Miniatures Game That No One Will Play, maybe a new video game years down the line after Tides of Numenera comes out, whatever. For them to sell it I'd think someone would have to make them an offer that would get Hasbro's interest, and none of the people who would be actively interested in securing the rights to Dungeons & Dragons these days have the sort of money that would make Hasbro interested in the first place.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Mecha Gojira posted:

I wonder if they're planning a new edition for the film, since we're still a few years out from a premiere date. The problem is they'd probably need to actually have any employees who, you know, actually work on things. And then you can't be guaranteed it's not another bland 3.x clone like 5e.

I mean, a popular film would be a perfect way to grab a new generation, but the games themselves are loaded with forty years of baggage and sacred cows, it almost seems counter productive. You'd have to start from the ground up, and we've already seen how the more vocal communities WOTC listens to get when you want to introduce change. I definitely don't see that kind of progressive game design coming out of Mike Mearls' team either.

The tabletop game is as vestigial as it gets, to be frank. They aren't going to prepare a new edition for the film. They might try for a licensed game or two, but that's it.

Also yeah, Hasbro had something of a reputation for not selling IPs no matter what. 5e, as I've said previously, is more or less D&D in mothball status.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, the essential fact now is that D&D is in the hands of people who are completely disinterested in actually publishing D&D, but they aren't going to sell it because maybe some day the magic fairy train of merch money will come along and they'll be goddamned if they have to explain to their bosses why they missed it. They'll wait at that train station for years upon years, but by God and Optimus they plan to catch it.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Entertainment industry execs don't sell IPs because if the IP goes on to do well with the new owner, they can generally kiss their job goodbye for "letting it go".

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
10 years ago, I'd think it's interesting it's set in the forgotten realms (Never-winter Nights was a pretty good game), but since it became the default setting, it seems to have been generalized a bit (at least from what I'm reading in Wikipedia, I've played very little 5e).

Someone else had a great idea: A dark sun setting movie and shamelessly knock of Fury Road.
I replied no. First they knock off thunder-dome. :)
"Who runs Altaruk town?"
sighs "Leader Bleeder runs Altaruk town"

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 27, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

Do an Ocean's Eleven style heist movie set in Eberron.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Foolster41 posted:

Someone else had a great idea: A dark sun setting movie and shamelessly knock of Fury Road.
I replied no. First they knock off thunder-dome. :)
"Who runs Altaruk town?"
sighs "Leader Bleeder runs Altaruk town"

Serf posted:

But but but the Reeeeeaaaaaaalllllllmmmmmmsssss!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I wonder if they just end up outsourcing the main game eventually.
DND, a ffg game, a wizards game, a Hasbro game.

Why keep people on staff? Just one and done some books.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Frankly, they can fire the entire D&D Team and just ask Ed Greenwood and R.A. Salvatore to write novels and they'd might make more money doing that. At least at this point.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

The tabletop game is as vestigial as it gets, to be frank. They aren't going to prepare a new edition for the film. They might try for a licensed game or two, but that's it.

Also yeah, Hasbro had something of a reputation for not selling IPs no matter what. 5e, as I've said previously, is more or less D&D in mothball status.

You would think it would have been smarter to leave 4th as the current edition in mothball status considering it was the edition that was earning them decent money on a monthly basis due to the online services.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

TheTatteredKing posted:

I wonder if they just end up outsourcing the main game eventually.
DND, a ffg game, a wizards game, a Hasbro game.

Why keep people on staff? Just one and done some books.

Now you got me imagining a D&D setting game with the Edge of the Empire mechanics. It'd be weird (since no more D20s) but could be interesting.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Foolster41 posted:

Now you got me imagining a D&D setting game with the Edge of the Empire mechanics. It'd be weird (since no more D20s) but could be interesting.

Well if you actually played OD&D with the Chainmail combat system, you already had this, as Chainmail used only d6. Not that anyone ever really did apparently.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Foolster41 posted:

It's called Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd edition

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Serf posted:

Someone pitch this to Vin Diesel, stat.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

remusclaw posted:

You would think it would have been smarter to leave 4th as the current edition in mothball status considering it was the edition that was earning them decent money on a monthly basis due to the online services.
If they did that then they wouldn't have needed to mothball it :v:

Serf
May 5, 2011

potatocubed posted:

Someone pitch this to Vin Diesel, stat.

poo poo if we're gonna get Vin Diesel we might as well do Fast and Furious: Eberron featuring a lightning rail heist.

Evil Mastermind posted:

But but but the Reeeeeaaaaaaalllllllmmmmmmsssss!

Every time I think of the Forgotten Realms I throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Covok posted:

Frankly, they can fire the entire D&D Team and just ask Ed Greenwood and R.A. Salvatore to write novels and they'd might make more money doing that. At least at this point.
"Might"? Didn't the novels of either bring in significantly more than the entire tabletop game line back when both were active?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Zereth posted:

"Might"? Didn't the novels of either bring in significantly more than the entire tabletop game line back when both were active?

Probably? Did WotC ever drop sales data on that?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

[...] WotC [...] sales data [...]

The answer to any question involving these two things together, unless it's "Does WotC never show their sales data," is always no.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

nesbit37 posted:

Some people that go to Gary Con are not happy about it. I am glad they will be there and that means more games with Mearls and Chris Perkins for me I guess. Personally, I don't see the hate since without Peter Adkinson buying the game D&D would have died in the 90s and I'm not sure some of the RPG popularity there is today, at least for D&D goes, would exist today. Then again to some of these people the perfect version was created in 1974 so anything after Gygax's ousting is heresy anyway. Its also just fun for some rally against a corporate entity I am sure. Peter Adkinson was at Gary Con last year (and returning this year) and I don't remember anyone protesting that as an affront to D&D or the death of RPGs by having the man largely responsible for magic coming into being present at the con and playing D&D with the attendees.

I have to say that the D&D 5e launch at Gen Con was pretty awesome with the presence they had. It was severely disappointing last year since WotC had all but pulled out (Mearls and Perkins were wandering around and Baldman games were only running games). It paled in comparison to the previous year and was more on the level of something I would expect of a D&D tournament held in a high school cafeteria. I had insisted some of the first time Gen Con goers I brought with me sign up for the Saturday evening epic event based on how awesome of an experience it was in 2014 and I was downright embarrassed to be there after how it went in 2015.

Gary Con is primarily about D&D. Luke Gygax is the main organizer after all. People play tons of other games there though, but the majority were created in 1985 at the latest.

There was a thread about WotC's presence on the Gary Con forums [here. Basically the responses were quite a bit of "oh, hey, I'm not a fan of their work but they're welcome all the same." There was a guy who said"I find their presence loathsome" (a statement which was Favorited by several posters), and some cautiously optimistic folks: "it may be a good thing that they're paying more attention to the old-school crowd." Granted, it's only a short thread with a dozen or so posters, where the Con itself has far more, so I guess the best way to gauge their reaction would be if you're one of the boots on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Covok posted:

Probably? Did WotC ever drop sales data on that?

WotC doesn't, but I feel like the D&D novels have scraped the best seller list more than the games.

• Locked thread