Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I don't have much use for a MaA since the nerf to camp buffs but he does make an excellent stun whore in a CRU-MAA-GR Lungeteam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
27 weeks, 24 dead, turning profit and filling graves. :getin:

Played this game during alpha, and holy gently caress, I'm loving the balance changes. So glad I didn't burn myself out on alpha.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

sirtommygunn posted:

Why can a bookshelf give people syphilis? Same reason: because gently caress You.

Because the pages are sticking together.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

also Bounty Hunters are one of the best classes in the game

I mean, I believe that. I was just really confused about their abilities. I don't understand these:

ACC base: 85
CRIT mod: 5%
Self: +90% DMG vs Marked+
Self: +15% DMG vs Human

CRIT mod: 2%
Self: +25% DMG vs Stunned+

I guess I understand now that the word Self here refers to an instant, selftargeting modifier for this attack. I thought I had Self figured out from how it worked on other classes, and things like +X% things seemed like they were always visible buffs. So that's cleared up

Second question: what are the extra + signs bolded above? at first I thought that it indicated another effect was listed in addition, but as you can see in the second example, it is present even when no additional effect follows.

Looking at Bounty Hunters, it looks like their good abilities are

Collect Bounty - melee damage from ranks 1-3 to 1-2, synergy with marking
Flash Bang - stun is always good, targeted stun that can reach any enemy rank is great, and it starts out with %125 base, which is really good. Better than Vestal's Dazzeling Light or Plague Doctor's Disorienting Blast
Finish Him - melee damage from and to ranks 1-3, synergy with stun
Come Hither - from anywhere, yank 3-4 into 1-2. 67% damage reduction is good for a utility skill since most are 75-80

So yeah, looking at it, I can see that they look like a pretty strong class.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

So far, Bounty Hunters seem to be the worst class. Would rather have a plague doctor or occultist.

edit: ^ in the first room, I got shuffled so that my Vestal was in the Front and Crusader in the back. Second battle was all spiders, wiff wiff wiff die retreat fail retreat fail retreat fail die retreat.

Bounty Hunters can attack at full effectiveness in 3 out of 4 positions and can still toss out incredibly useful Flashbangs in the 4th position. Notably, you value them less than several classes that are less flexible and more vulnerable to shuffling. Even when using a Crusader who has an excellent option for repositioning themselves when they get shuffled into the back (Holy Lance), you apparently eschewed it in favor of other skills. You ignored some of the best tools the game gives you for dealing with getting shuffled, then got wrecked because you were shuffled.

(You can change your skill loadout during a mission as long as you're out of combat, btw, so you really have no reason not to have Holy Lance active during the first couple of fights in a mission: you should be at full health/relatively empty stress so you don't need the Crusader's recovery moves, and you never need Bulwark of Faith because it's terrible.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really like the bounty hunter but I tried running a movement based one in the front slot and it never seemed to work. Even with move trinkets equipped enemies would regularly resist his move attempts. It was pretty annoying.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Kly posted:

the picture is depicting the three religious characters going off to have fun leaving the abomination behind
Little do they know the Abomination will have the last laugh when the other three go insane.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm convinced on Bounty Hunters. I didn't hire one for a long time, so it wasn't obvious what advantages they had when I meant mixing up the interactions I was used to.

What do you think about my assessment of the abilities? If I'm only running one Bounty Hunter and having him be split between DPS and utility, it would make more sense to run Come Hither over Uppercut and not to run both.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Snak posted:

So, speaking of Bounty Hunters, I don't understand the Collect Bounty ability at all. It says

CRIT mod: 5%
Self: +90% DMG vs Marked+
Self: +15% DMG vs Human

Which in my brain means that in addition to doing damage, it applies a buff to the bounty hunter that gives him +90% damage against marked. But it doesn't do this. What does it do?

So far, Bounty Hunters seem to be the worst class. Would rather have a plague doctor or occultist.

edit: ^ in the first room, I got shuffled so that my Vestal was in the Front and Crusader in the back. Second battle was all spiders, wiff wiff wiff die retreat fail retreat fail retreat fail die retreat.
Bounty Hunters rule but are best on teams that take advantage of their amazing synergy potential. Parties with several dudes who can mark or benefit from marking are were the Bounty Hunter will feel most at home, for example: Arbalest, Occultist, Hound Master, Bounty Hunter. All four of these classes have the ability to mark targets, singling them out, with a full three of them in possession of abilities that brutalize marked enemies. Two of them (outside the Bounty Hunter) can also stun opponents, which allows the Bounty Hunter to use Finish Him.

A lone Bounty Hunter is clunky. He has to mark his own targets before Collecting Bounties and can never follow up his own stuns with Finish Him since they'll almost always wear off before he gets a chance to go again. On a team with even one other person who can mark or stun, however, he easily pulls his own weight. And his enemy's weight, since he can do that; backwards and forwards.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Buckwheat Sings posted:

A 3 squad of Bounty Hunters can completely poo poo over a a boss. They're basically perfect for the Siren or Hag since they can hit just about anywhere with a ton of soft support.

3 bounty hunters for the hag is goddamn terrible because their mark attack only hits the front 2 ranks. If you must do a terrible party of stacking a class go for houndmaster, he'll be able to dogpile past the pot.

Snak: what level were your guys, and what was your 4th guy? The fights with spiders, dogs, and grubs are all about killing at least a couple of them super quickly so they can't keep stacking damage at 1 guy. If all the chips fall down the wrong way yea it can be a bit bullshitty (surprise->mark->dogpile with increased damage->missing), and while I haven't lost guys to that situation I've had rough times with it before.

If you were running level 2 guys upgraded they should have enough of a buffer to survive. I tend to prioritize the spider that mark (webber) since that makes they do extra damage, if you had a hound-man or man-at-arms they can guard the marked guy, or arbalest can clear the mark.

Personally I keep 1 crusader in my roster for ruins runs, 1 leper for warrens runs, and never use them anywhere else. Both have trouble doing things to the enemies past rank 2, and that is where the stress guys live.

Run come hither over uppercut for 2 reasons: the damage you do can be important(you want to focus those back-row guys), and the front-row guys tend to have better move resist.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Yeah, I'm convinced on Bounty Hunters. I didn't hire one for a long time, so it wasn't obvious what advantages they had when I meant mixing up the interactions I was used to.

What do you think about my assessment of the abilities? If I'm only running one Bounty Hunter and having him be split between DPS and utility, it would make more sense to run Come Hither over Uppercut and not to run both.

Honestly Collect Bounty, Finish Him, and and Flashbang is all you need 99% of the time, so your 4th skill is going to be for niche use whatever you take. If you need to shut down a back row enemy Flashbang will stun them now and has a 2/3 chance of yanking them into the front anyhow. Using Come Hither means giving up a stun for just an extra 1-in-3 chance to pull them where you need them, which is a pretty bad trade most of the time. My usual preference is Uppercut, just so I can still stun something if my BH gets yanked into the front row.

Bad Seafood posted:

Bounty Hunters rule but are best on teams that take advantage of their amazing synergy potential. Parties with several dudes who can mark or benefit from marking are were the Bounty Hunter will feel most at home, for example: Arbalest, Occultist, Hound Master, Bounty Hunter. All four of these classes have the ability to mark targets, singling them out, with a full three of them in possession of abilities that brutalize marked enemies. Two of them (outside the Bounty Hunter) can also stun opponents, which allows the Bounty Hunter to use Finish Him.

A lone Bounty Hunter is clunky. He has to mark his own targets before Collecting Bounties and can never follow up his own stuns with Finish Him since they'll almost always wear off before he gets a chance to go again. On a team with even one other person who can mark or stun, however, he easily pulls his own weight. And his enemy's weight, since he can do that; backwards and forwards.

Nah, Bounty Hunter is a really solid workhorse class and can be slotted in anywhere. 125% stun chance with movement riders is fantastic and his basic attack is solid enough. A halfway decently optimized party should be able to take out enemies in 2-3 attacks, which renders marking largely pointless in most fights.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 27, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Snak posted:

Uppercut is also a great ability if you're running him frontline Come Hither not so much. There are also better bleeders, so I don't use the bleed hook throw.

Try a mark team out: BH - HM - Occ - [GR or Arb]. Occ marks big targets, other three destroy them. Frontliners lay down stuns.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Snak, I gotta ask: when you bring in four guys on a run, do you think about what each of them individually brings to the table or do you think about how they mesh together as a cohesive unit? Cause if it's the former, that may be the source of a few of your ills.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I think I'm playing this game wrong. I don't pick my characters based on their skills, I just throw 4 guys in a group and the one that impresses me the most gets moved up into one of my groups that matters and the rest get booted.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bad Seafood posted:

Snak, I gotta ask: when you bring in four guys on a run, do you think about what each of them individually brings to the table or do you think about how they mesh together as a cohesive unit? Cause if it's the former, that may be the source of a few of your ills.

I used to worry a lot about synergy, but mostly I have to make do with whatever team I can scrounge together with the least stress. I haven't put together a team I wanted in forever. I went broke trying to keep them affliction free.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Snak posted:

I used to worry a lot about synergy, but mostly I have to make do with whatever team I can scrounge together with the least stress. I haven't put together a team I wanted in forever. I went broke trying to keep them affliction free.

Get bigger barracks, get bigger barracks, get bigger barracks.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Afflictions I remove: Klepto, Curious

The end

I also rarely stress heal dudes, maybe once or twice after a really rough run

Get your Stage Coach maxed asap, once you have 25 dudes, you can rotate people constantly, so stress healing isn't really needed, and there's zero reason to keep anyone who gets too afflicted, just boot them. You can also be choosy about new recruits, prioritizing people with nice +spd perks or whatever.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

If you do venture into marking parties, I'd strongly advise not taking all marking classes. It is easy to get into the trap of wanting to mark everything before attacking when that isn't nearly as needed.

Also you want to get used to using the occultist, because if you don't need to heal he can mark (which also has a -dodge debuff which is often very useful), or do various strong attacks/pulls.

Something like arb-occ-hound-hellion, or arb-occ-bounty-maa is better than both bounty and hound together. One guy with a +mark damage ability will almost 1-shot anything you hit, and with a crit can do that to even the fatty guys. 2 guys with +mark damage are going to crush anything you've got marked, a 3rd guy is complete overkill so take something else.

If you don't like arb (she has the best general +mark attack), you could swap it up to a occ-hw/gr-hound-hellion sort of setup since they gave highwayman and graverobber a little extra damage on marked attacks.

I think the best starter group for marking and occultist play is going to be arb-occ-hound-hellion.
You've got heals from arb to help counter the "low-hp and occultist heals for -3", houndman has a strong self-heal, and hellion has a self-heal with dot removal.
You've got very, very good attack options. Arbalest's sniper shot hits 2/3/4, houndman's single target hits all, and hellion in rank 1 can hit all if you take default attack, if-it-bleeds, and iron swan.
While not stacked on stuns, you've got a strong stun from houndman, and if you take hellion's stun (it has some drawbacks, but can be useful) that is really strong. Occultist can have a great pull attack and he has good speed.
Arbalest has some nice party utility options with clearing mark/stun.

In the terms of scraping together a party, toss out 4 classes you might be forced to take, and we can give you some input on how we'd use them if we had to.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Or you could just.... not needlessly mark

Also don't bother with mark parties in apprentice dungeons, they don't start being cool until you're dealing with those tree-swinging assholes or Bone Commanders

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Snak posted:

I went broke trying to keep them affliction free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

e: i am legit unwilling to give up the dogtreats in exchange for treasure or heirlooms, because it's cruel, and i've just found a secret room with a full pack. this is hell

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Or you could just.... not needlessly mark

Also don't bother with mark parties in apprentice dungeons, they don't start being cool until you're dealing with those tree-swinging assholes or Bone Commanders

Yeah mark parties are really only bad rear end when taking on certain bosses and dealing with the higher end size 2 mobs (tree swinger and BCs mentioned above)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
on healers: vest is better on early on with her consistent heals and stun, but occult gets better later, imo, as his mark and move abilities get more relevant.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How many weeks do you have before the game autofails you on NG+?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
My recollection is 91 or 92, not sure why that number specifically :shrug:.

From the release notes:

quote:

New Game +
Upon successful completion of the game players will be awarded New Game Plus. When creating a new save file, you will be prompted if you wish to start a NG+ file. Players must use the DD Strict gameplay options, tougher monsters, and two extra criteria: Complete the game in 91 Weeks with less than 13 deaths. Failure to do so and players will be greeted with a game over, and a deleted save.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 27, 2016

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

The argument of "just play it really well" doesn't work when combined with someone learning to play it? I'd say to start working on mark parties in level 1 dungeons where you generally don't need to mark, and try to take them to boss fights if possible. Walking into a level 3 dungeon without having played a marking party at all is probably going to not be a great time.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Internet Kraken posted:

How many weeks do you have before the game autofails you on NG+?

http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Patch_notes#New_Game_.2B

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

What all carries over to NG+? I'm assuming we don't have to start from scratch.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I would assume nothing carries over, except maybe the first 2 usual suspects are somehow resurrected at level 0 again.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

congratulations, bloated thrall who inexplicably went before my entire party, exploding, prompting three death's doors and three afflictions

you guarded the last room of that champion "win all room battles" dungeon admirably, with only your twin brother and a floating jellyfish for company

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ranter posted:

I would assume nothing carries over, except maybe the first 2 usual suspects are somehow resurrected at level 0 again.
If that were the case I'd presume the game would just tell you you've unlocked Dark(er/est) Mode or something.

Calling it NG+, requiring you to beat the game once already on that file, suggests some kind of carryover - even if there ultimately is none.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

What all carries over to NG+? I'm assuming we don't have to start from scratch.

It's a complete fresh start. You start a new game and it asks if you want to make it NG+ or not. You now just have a time limit and a death limit with all the tutorial stuff still there. Places like blacksmith and such are still locked like in a normal game until a few runs in. Have fun!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Someone show me the code that makes my Occultist do 0 point heals 2-3x in a row during boss fights :tinfoil:

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Anyone playing at champion level noticing ridiculous stress damage buffs? I'm talking fully upgraded parties with at least one afflicted at 2-3 trash fights without stress mitigation.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If anyone who kept their save from EA wants to know how to get the boss trinkets shoot me a pm. Figured out how to mod the game to get them.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Haha, finally killed the champion Collector without anything going pear-shaped. It really helped to read up and kill one of the highwaymen adds to keep control of the fight. Killing two would have moved him to rank 2, at which point my understanding is he'll use Collect Call again. Very easy to mitigate the Collector himself, and luckily the MaA add chose to guard the other highwayman in the meanwhile.

Finally feeling like Champion dungeons aren't just deathtraps. I had the biggest DPS party I could scrape together: Dismas/Arbalest/Bounty Hunter with a Plague Doc for stuns. I actually found the Arbalest's mark useful in synergy with the bounty hunter on big targets (bone general, ghoul, collector), especially since even big enemies have dodge in championland.

VVVVVVVVV: I basically agree entirely with points 1 & 2 (I don't have enough experience with the leper to make a final decision, he seems plenty good in apprentice dungeons). The one thing is that if you aren't firing dudes, then success will naturally push you into higher levels. At this point having an upgraded guild/blacksmith becomes critical in terms of continuing that success in my opinion. I have a fully upgraded guild, a nearly-fully upgraded blacksmith, and i'm only at a roster size of 18, with 4 heroes/week.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 28, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I just beat all the Veteran level bosses. Ran some champion level dungeons, which are challenging but good. Great game, but I think this is probably where I call it. Doing the same thing for another 10+ hours just to grind out the rest seems pretty dull.

I disagree with a few select pieces of advice given in this thread over and over. For an alternative approach:

1. In terms of upgrades and general usage of deeds, heavily prioritize the blacksmith over the stage coach. If your heroes are upgraded with weapons and armor, they won't be dying as often. Max out the roster size gradually as you find the need to expand due to team's being down to stress/quirk recovery. The number of guys the stagecoach brings only needs to be upgraded once or twice. I'm 30 hours in and that track is still 2 away from max.

2. Don't grind for money, don't do dark runs. Don't do that nonsense about hiring 4 people off the stagecoach, throwing them into a dark run, and then firing them. It's a waste of time. The game is grindy enough without this silliness. You shouldn't ever need to grind for money in this game. Unless you are suffering catastrophic wipes, each mission you do should net you more than enough money to keep upgrading skills/weapons/armor at a good rate. Don't bother removing any negative perk other than kleptomaniac, and don't bother locking positive quirks. I've never had money issues in this game, and I've never even sold a trinket.

3. Leper is a great hero who is only bad in certain specific situations. He can hit the first 2 dudes for tons of damage, he has a great -damage - accuracy debuff also for the first 2 dudes, and he can heal himself for stress or health. Just don't bring him to any boss fight where the boss hides behind an object (Hag, Prophet, Necromancer, Drowned Crew, Formless Flesh cause of prot%). People in this thread do that, and then cry about the hero being bad. His accuracy is not great at first, but can easily be fixed with trinkets and camp buffs.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I love how Dismas is basically a class on his own. Don't die buddy!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megasabin posted:

I just beat all the Veteran level bosses. Ran some champion level dungeons, which are challenging but good. Great game, but I think this is probably where I call it. Doing the same thing for another 10+ hours just to grind out the rest seems pretty dull.

I disagree with a few select pieces of advice given in this thread over and over. For an alternative approach:

1. In terms of upgrades and general usage of deeds, heavily prioritize the blacksmith over the stage coach. If your heroes are upgraded with weapons and armor, they won't be dying as often. Max out the roster size gradually as you find the need to expand due to team's being down to stress/quirk recovery. The number of guys the stagecoach brings only needs to be upgraded once or twice. I'm 30 hours in and that track is still 2 away from max.

2. Don't grind for money, don't do dark runs. Don't do that nonsense about hiring 4 people off the stagecoach, throwing them into a dark run, and then firing them. It's a waste of time. The game is grindy enough without this silliness. You shouldn't ever need to grind for money in this game. Unless you are suffering catastrophic wipes, each mission you do should net you more than enough money to keep upgrading skills/weapons/armor at a good rate. Don't bother removing any negative perk other than kleptomaniac, and don't bother locking positive quirks. I've never had money issues in this game, and I've never even sold a trinket.

3. Leper is a great hero who is only bad in certain specific situations. He can hit the first 2 dudes for tons of damage, he has a great -damage - accuracy debuff also for the first 2 dudes, and he can heal himself for stress or health. Just don't bring him to any boss fight where the boss hides behind an object (Hag, Prophet, Necromancer, Drowned Crew, Formless Flesh cause of prot%). People in this thread do that, and then cry about the hero being bad. His accuracy is not great at first, but can easily be fixed with trinkets and camp buffs.

please dont troll the new people with bad advice

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

victrix posted:

Afflictions I remove: Klepto, Curious

The end
Not even The Yips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Dude makes some good points. Having tough heroes is more important than having lots of money. Leper gets a bad rap. Grinding is bad.

It's just that if you are a flailing newbie there's really no way to learn the specifics of all that without dying horribly. The throw-lvl-0s-into-the-grinder low-cost runs should only be necessary a few times near the start of the game when you have nothing unlocked and no good heroes, or when you forget to save money for equipping runs and then snowball into a bunch of broke stressed dudes. Suicide runs are a symptom of a inexperience problem, and players who stick with it shouldn't be bankrupting themselves or wasting their time on a meatgrinder.

tldr hindsight is a bitch.