Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If Jaws 4 was actually directed by Spielberg and a direct continuation of the themes and concepts of the original film this might be a valid comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well I am being an rear end but it's not like George Lucas directed all of Star Wars and how is this not a continuation of the themes of Jaws? You even get a force ghost Chief Brody from beyond the grave affecting corporeal events, in this case an inexplicable shark explosion.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rick posted:

The Clone Wars movie is my prime evidence of the fact that people won't just see anything just because it has "Star Wars" in the title.

The clone wars movie is pretty decent. If you don't look at it as a movie but as the pilots for the tv series.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 27, 2016

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

I don't think they hate the implication that Yoda once used a weapon. This might just be me speaking, but I feel like we don't get a good feeling that Yoda is young and brash or any different from Yoda if Yoda was the leader of a council. Maybe it would have worked better if he had been made to look younger, and actively brash and aggressive from the beginning; then over the horrors of war he gets weaker and weaker physically, and is then humiliated by Palpatine in the RotS fight, with Yoda realizing that he lost to an enemy that never picked up a sword until he had already won.

As-is, the visual progression is old wrinkly alien sits on a hover chair and grimaces -> old wrinkly alien recruits a new race to ensure the safety of his captured disciples -> old wrinkly alien does silly gymnastics with another old dude -> old wrinkly alien throws chairs at an old dracula after the old dracula has already won.

Like, think of a story about a wise master who had to first be humbled to gain his wisdom; the past version of the master is typically younger and quick to make decisions. He's not the current old master, with the current old masters mannerisms, but at one point he shakes a stick at someone.

You can argue that the films subtly show him as young and impulsive and aggressive and bla bla, but the question is why, in Star Wars, where getting pissed off and angry is literally visualized by a hosed up cyborg in black armor holding a red laser, does it need to be so subtle? Is the problem that not enough time passes to justify young yoda? He is an alien, right?

As-is it just feels like Yoda wiggled around on a hoverchair, did two fights, then jumped into a swamp and uttered proverbs to frogs until Luke showed up.

See your way of the Force is of understanding the film diegetically. And trying to understand it centered around your emotional response to the film (I liked this, I didn't like that).

SMG's way of the Force is more sub textual.

You're both looking at the Truth, and therefore what you speak is a perception of the Truth. It is perceived by you through your ideology. So when SMG says that what he writes is truth, he's right. When you post your truth it is the truth.

Now at this point were saying "everyone is right" and, I think obviously, that cannot be true. There is a Truth, but we can never see it "truly". So what happens is ideologies are wrong. Or bad. How to determine that is not trivial. And I ain't sayin I have determined that. The thoughts I have of other ideologies are colored by my own ideology. I doubt anyone here has. Some of the more well spoken posters probably are close, but ofc that's part of my ideology, or is it?

I just read the whole Luke Vader script scene in Esb, and Vader seriously never says or does anything that is EVIL. In fact he asks his son to join him, get rid of the emperor, and rule the galaxy father and son. Vader does his plot stuff on the basis of what palps tells him to do, because he's a minion of the emperor. But ... the relationship between Palpatine and Vader is so strange. At the end of the PT anakin is turned into Vader pretty much entirely because he loves padme. When padme is dead, Vader has lost all purpose in his life, the only structure is the one he helped create. Saying he doesn't do evil things doesn't mean he doesn't use the dark side of the force. He's still a dark side Jedi aka Sith. Anyways, getting into the particulars will just get us mired a little in smaller things.

So I guess the idea is "the methods of the use of the force are representative of their relationship with knowledge." Or: their ideology, basically. I think the primary reason I am thinking of this is because of the stressful relations between any given posters. The thread seems to naturally conform into two sides. This, of course is not a "natural" course, but rather it happens because of our ideology.

I don't like arguments. I don't like it when I form an emotional response to a given post(opinion). I seek the Truth. I believe that the Truth becomes more clear when two ideologies clash and attempt to resolve with each other. Trying to defend your position because it's personal to you is not helping get to the Truth. I think I may have said something similar earlier.

Anyways guys, love each other, love art, love Truth. Only through love is true understanding achievable.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 27, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The clone wars movie is pretty decent. If you don't look at it as a movie and as the pilots for the tv series.

The problem is that it did not have Cad Bane in it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The clone wars movie is pretty decent. If you don't look at it as a movie and as the pilots for the tv series.

Agreed. I remembered feeling disappointed leaving a mostly empty theater but I enjoy it much more in the context of the show.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Beeez posted:

I find it fascinating that the movie that most people consider to be the best Star Wars had such troubled production that scenes went unfinished, the producer got fired for going so overbudget, and Harrison Ford hated the experience so much he didn't want to play Han Solo anymore.

On the contrary--it's a central aspect of certain OT-primacy and Lucasite theorizing: that tight practical constraints and cast and crew suffering were integral to the artistic quality of the OT that nerds at CGI workstations in comfortable offices and bloated, billionaire Lucas could never match.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HookedOnChthonics posted:

On the contrary--it's a central aspect of certain OT-primacy and Lucasite theorizing: that tight practical constraints and cast and crew suffering were integral to the artistic quality of the OT that nerds at CGI workstations in comfortable offices and bloated, billionaire Lucas could never match.

This is obviously dumb, but a lot of great movies have hosed productions. Not sure if there's actually a correlation there though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

No you don't get it the true movie is the one in Lucas's head and storyboards that didn't actually get filmed. The false movie is the movie you actually watched. If you compare the prequels to the true movie you find they are actually quite good. We don't evaluate every other movie we've ever watched like this for Reasons.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Deep down, The Force Awakens is afraid it will never be as strong as the prequels.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

RBA Starblade posted:

You know, it's kind of funny that Jedi use lightsabers and not blasters, considering samurai used bows and polearms first and foremost for most of their existence. By the time they were dying out many used rifles. It's because they're based off movie samurai I know, but it's interesting how it's the blasters that are uncivilized and from an earlier age in that context.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but outside of all practical considerations the sword set was a necessary part of the uniform of the samurai social class and a symbol of the same, was it not?

e: Also, a great example of 'sw fans don't like sw' is the popular reaction to KOTOR2. It's almost universally praised as being more ~morally complex,~ but really has not a lot more going on in it than is present in the prequels (and even in the OT if you read critically).

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 28, 2016

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

Deep down, The Force Awakens is afraid it will never be as strong as the prequels.

This gives a very wonderfully nuanced perspective on the film. THe simplicity of its delivery allows it to cut deeply to the fundamental ideas in the thread.

Oh wait he already made a post saying nearly the same thing. Nobody tries to create discussion out of these posts because they are not inflammatory.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

No you don't get it the true movie is the one in Lucas's head and storyboards that didn't actually get filmed. The false movie is the movie you actually watched. If you compare the prequels to the true movie you find they are actually quite good. We don't evaluate every other movie we've ever watched like this for Reasons.

To enjoy the prequels one must pour over old George Lucas interviews for hours on end.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yaws posted:

To enjoy the prequels one must pour over old George Lucas interviews for hours on end.

Alot of you guys seem really angry other people like the prequels, why do you have to keep coming out with this ridiculous hyperbole?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
^^ right now no one is making any angry posts, they are just making jokes. To find anger you need to look elsewhere in the thread.

Tender Bender posted:

You're making up some bullshit fictional person in your head that acts exactly the way you want it to act, which is making some bullshit fictional movie in their head that is how they want it to be.

I'm sure you did this intentionally to make a point.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Your word is law?

EDIT: I'm all for looking deeper into things and cool viewpoints. But these are presented as facts and if you dont believe / understand / accept that viewpoint - you are told, "well, I guess you just don't like the movies afterall."

Pretend that SMG says "in my opinion" before every sentence. Better?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Bongo Bill posted:

THE PREQUELS: Plinkett never told you what happened to Star Wars.

A FAN: He told me enough. He told me you killed him.

THE PREQUELS: No. I am Star Wars.

A FAN: That's not true! That's impossible!

:eyepop:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

The prequels: Plinkett never told you what happened to Star Wars.

Fans: He told me enough. He told me you killed it.

The prequels: No. I am Star Wars.

Fans: That's not true! That's impossible!

its like poetry

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Coming out of TFA, I was entertained but yeah, it's clearly lesser craft with more emphasis on likeable characters which isn't exactly a bad way to go about it. While I have a fondness for the prequels, specifically with their ambitious world building and having a legitimate ethos (which is rare in any film these days), there's no walking around the fact that specific elements of those films failed to connect well with a broader audience.

Even though TFA turned out to be an enjoyable product, I find my self less interested in what will happen next and more interested in what's going to happen in Rogue One. I just wanna see Donnie Yen machine gun punch a storm trooper into oblivion.

Disney, please don't gently caress this up for me.

G-III fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 28, 2016

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

I just want to mention, for the record, that the Star Wars prequels are good too.

This is what started it. The second post in this thread. I'm not going to dig up where it happened in the last thread.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

This is what started it. The second post in this thread. I'm not going to dig up where it happened in the last thread.

Bongo Bill is never actually revealed to be Darth Sidious in the text.

He's the Sith lord we've been looking for!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

kiimo posted:

Oh, can I chip in? "Jedi Rocks" is a better song than "Lapti Nek." Also, ghost Hayden Christensen improves the ending to ROTJ.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rogue One costumes on display.

https://twitter.com/TheSWU/status/692448036417622016

https://twitter.com/DarrenArsenal1/status/691992782823657472

https://twitter.com/DarrenArsenal1/status/692258589528973312

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Well, correct me if I'm wrong bbututtside of all practical considerations the sword set was a necessary part of the uniform of the samurai social class and a symbol of the same, was it not?

e: Also, a great example of 'sw fans don't like sw' is the popular reaction to KOTOR2. It's almost universally praised as being more ~morally complex,~ but really has not a lot more going on in it than is present in the prequels (and even in the OT if you read critically).

The fun thing there is that Avellone had to challenge himself with that project because he didn't like Star Wars and couldn't understand why other people did, so he amused himself with the philosophical contradictions.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Yeah, I know, I wasn't trying to relate it to the prequel discussion. I just think it's interesting.

Yaws posted:

People mention interviews and behind the scenes stuff because you guys keep pretending like George Lucas had no loving idea what he was doing and the prequels are just the product of a drug-fueled, stream-of-consciousness creative rampage. But the behind the scenes stuff and comments by Lucas prove, time and time again, that he actually did put some thought into it, and that he frequently even knew precisely what he was doing. Ironically, people are frequently pointing at supplemental material for TFA because the movie itself gives us very little insight into the setting or why certain characters do anything they do. Maybe the reason some people feel they're being called stupid has something to do with the fact that they either misinterpret or misrepresent so much of anyone else's points.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but outside of all practical considerations the sword set was a necessary part of the uniform of the samurai social class and a symbol of the same, was it not?

It was, but I was referring to its use in combat historically. Though I think the shorter sword got some use with the polearm. Universally, swords were basically sidearms.

Also a fun fact: katanas are historically basically trash because of the low quality of steel available in Japan (this is also why it had to be folded so much). Europeans had access to much higher quality steel.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kiimo posted:

Okay I went back to the first thread. This is the source of evil.

redshirt posted:

I unironically enjoy Episode 1 and think it's a good Star Wars movie. Sure, Jar-Jar. But, kids! It's got heroes, villains, good action, and it's a fairly tight story.

II has some good parts (anything Obi Wan, basically), and the rest is strangely awful. Cringe inducing. Same for III - some great parts, lots of poo poo.

That said, the overall story for the prequels is great - trade wars, taxation, Senate, etc. I love that poo poo - because it's all about Palpatine's rise to power, and I find that fascinating. I just wish a better Director had handled it, free of Lucas' meddling.

Read the novelization of "Revenge of the Sith" for proof - it's great. The movie, not so much.

This post is from Nov. 2, 2012.

That's how long we've wasted arguing if the prequels are good or bad.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Aside from him liking TPM (because that is a bit against the grain in terms of most of the critique of the movie), that is perhaps the least controversial statement about the prequels made in this thread for as long as I have been reading it. How did it all go so wrong.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's always been very strange to me that fans effectively skip directly from Luke playing with action figures at the start of A New Hope to all the 'bad guys' dying at the end of Return Of The Jedi.

There's this basic assumption that "of course I'm a good guy. Luke is just like me, and I think Han Solo is so cool, etc." And this completely skips over the entire narrative - a narrative that begins with Luke as a shithead eager to join the Imperial Academy.

It takes the death of Luke's foster patents, the destruction of his action figures, and seduction by an old man before Luke even tentatively considers becoming a Rebel. And then - just months later - he's almost ready to quit because it's not as glamorous as he expected. That's just the first half of the trilogy!

The most basic message of all the Star Wars films is that being ethical is incredibly difficult. It's so difficult that Yoda hasn't figured it out, after hundreds of years of meditation. Even Luke messes it up at the end, unless we interpret things very carefully.

This mindset of "obviously I'm a good guy; bad guys are other people - monstrous people who wear black clothes" is based on a fundamental misinterpretation of Star Wars, and it's precisely what's satirized in the prequels.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 28, 2016

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It was, but I was referring to its use in combat historically. Though I think the shorter sword got some use with the polearm. Universally, swords were basically sidearms.

Also a fun fact: katanas are historically basically trash because of the low quality of steel available in Japan (this is also why it had to be folded so much). Europeans had access to much higher quality steel.

Also, they were a last resort once you'd lost your bow, spear or gun. They're fetishised because, in the era of the Tokugawa Shogunate, which is when the code of the Samurai was written, that was the only weapon allowed to the samurai. All other weapons had been confiscated after a 140 year civil war. So the ideal of the samurai is enshrined 100 years after the last samurai battle.

Factor in Japan having to reconfigure and rediscover its cultural and national identity several times, and it's a relationship and image you want to think about very critically.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

When did Luke want to quit?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

MrMojok posted:

I can usually follow SMG pretty well but yeah, I don't quite know either--I mean, he does leave the fleet and go to Dagobah, so I mean he basically goes AWOL and if he had listened to Yoda and Obi-Wan his inaction would've tacitly allowed very very prominent rebels to be captured and likely interrogated--so I think that must be it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

porfiria posted:

This is obviously dumb, but a lot of great movies have hosed productions. Not sure if there's actually a correlation there though.

There's different aspects to the quality of the production I think. Like The Revenant had the director piss off most of the other people but it was mostly shot according to plan, while Fantastic Four had major rewrites and reshooting that changed the overall composition of the film.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for evidence in the script. One thing is that his co-pilot (who dies) in the snowspeeder is characterized as "a fresh-faced, eager kid". He talks about taking on the whole empire, and Luke, the formerly rash, adventurous kid, is contrasted against this (esp. w/context of having escaped near death vs. monster and storm). When he crashes on Dagobah he's rather despondent about his situation and questions what he's doing, why is he there.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MrMojok posted:

In Empire Strikes Back, Luke has stopped believing in the Rebellion. The events on Hoth really got to him, especially the death of Dak(?). That's why he leaves on an introspective journey.

The entire film is about how Luke is torn between his certainty that the Rebellion is doomed and his fear of adopting a more radical stance.

Yoda asks Luke to let go of his attachments, and just let the Rebels die. Vader, on the other hand, asks Luke to join him in a revolution that goes far beyond the Rebels' modest goals.

Luke takes both these options very seriously, contemplating them for a long time.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 28, 2016

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Vintersorg posted:

Im a fan of the Vancouver Canucks.

I sense a great pain in you

kiimo posted:

This post is from Nov. 2, 2012.

That's how long we've wasted arguing if the prequels are good or bad.

Having fun with fellow weirdos on the internet is never a waste of time

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Black Bones posted:

Having fun with fellow weirdos on the internet is never a waste of time

You might say the true Force is the connections we form with other people!

Or something. gently caress I don't know.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In Empire Strikes Back, Luke has stopped believing in the Rebellion. The events on Hoth really got to him, especially the death of Dak(?). That's why he leaves on an introspective journey.

The entire film is about how Luke is torn between his certainty that the Rebellion is doomed and his fear of adopting a more radical stance.

Yoda asks Luke to let go of his attachments, and just let the Rebels die. Vader, on the other hand, asks Luke to join him in a revolution that goes far beyond the Rebels' modest goals.

Luke takes both these options very seriously, contemplating them for a long time.

Luke considers Darth's offer for about 5 seconds, possibly 0. Also Vader's offer is more authoritarian bullshit. "THAT guy sucks, but if we just get the right one in there then..."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've wasted 14 years on this website, I'm not judging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

Luke considers Darth's offer for about 5 seconds, possibly 0. Also Vader's offer is more authoritarian bullshit. "THAT guy sucks, but if we just get the right one in there then..."

Luke spends the entire runtime of Episode 6 thinking exactly that. He fucks up constantly, and Vader has to step in to rescue him at the end.

Vader is right.

• Locked thread