Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The prequels aren't your children, no need to come to their defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Here's a perfect example: instead of simply enjoying the new movie, it must "kill" the "stupid" prequels.

beat me to the punch

sten freak would likely call themselves a star wars fan when they apparently hated half of star wars so much they wanted star wars to "kill" star wars

Vintersorg posted:

it's genuinely funny that people come in here and just straight-up tool on the prequels as if it's required in order to post in this thread

the orthodoxy of the church of star wars demands making GBS threads on the prequels it would seem; the prequels are unholy and TFA has apparently expunged star wars of the curse

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 27, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Run, Sten Freak. loving run. There's nothing for you here.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's a stupid viewpoint.

"I didn't really enjoy those movies but overall I really like Star Wars."

"OMG U FUKKEN DIMWIT!! Don't you see the true nature of the Jedi is they are dummmmm. Guess your life is a lie and you never liked Star Wars. You fukken poser!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

They're not upset about the execution of the scene where Yoda used a lightsaber, which is a perfectly logical and defensible position to take. They are explicitly mad about the very idea that Yoda may have ever used a lightsaber at all.

You know, it's kind of funny that Jedi use lightsabers and not blasters, considering samurai used bows and polearms first and foremost for most of their existence. By the time they were dying out many used rifles. It's because they're based off movie samurai I know, but it's interesting how it's the blasters that are uncivilized and from an earlier age in that context.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 27, 2016

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

"OMG U FUKKEN DIMWIT!! Don't you see the true nature of the Jedi is they are dummmmm. Guess your life is a lie and you never liked Star Wars. You fukken poser!"

source your quotes

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

on the surface level, maybe--since a lot of people read that and probably take it too personally or too seriously

it's an interesting rhetorical device because it gets to the heart of the weird fact that people who claim to love star wars only like 3 (maybe 4) out of 7 total movies, which really means that when people say they like star wars, most really mean that they like their very own version of star wars, separate from what star wars actually is

the best example is to look at all of the prequel fan edits; the people doing those don't like star wars, they like episodes 4, 5 and 6. it's identity politics

i quite like the movie alien and I think the exorcist is pretty spooky, but that's about the extent of horror movies i like--it would be quite silly of me to say that I love horror, wouldn't it?

You can dislike the prequels and still like Star Wars. You can dislike all the movies but one and still be a Star Wars fan--as long as there's some substantial part of Star Wars which you like more than you dislike.

The only weird thing is that so many people proclaim to hate things that are actually intrinsic to the original movies themselves, and which they simply didn't pick up on or didn't understand. And I'm not trying to say that anyone's dumb. But the fact is most people watched these movies when they were kids, developed very strong ideas about them, had these ideas continually reinforced by their like-minded peers in real life and on the Internet, and as a result it's become like a community of religious fundamentalists who abide by a narrowly literalist interpretation of a sacred text for which critical examination is anathema.

The fanbase even has its own pantheon of mythological personalities. There's the Holy Trinity of Kurtz, Kasdan, and Kershner, who together stole Star Wars from out of the hands of the Evil One and brought it into this world in its most pure and unsullied form, as what later came to be reverently known as the OOT. There's Marcia Lucas, the Great Mother Goddess who created Order from out of Chaos with her god-like editing skills, singlehandedly thwarting the Evil One's own pitiful pretensions to Editing Godhood.

George Lucas, of course, is the Evil One--the Great Satan whose central involvement in the creation of the series has led to a whole field of apologetics wherein adherents make convoluted but ultimately futile attempts to reconcile the inherent goodness of Star Wars with the inherent badness of George Lucas. Nothing good can ever be attributed ultimately to Lucas, and by extension everything bad must be attributed ultimately to him. The poison hand of Lucas is the taint of Original Sin--always unavoidably present in the OT to some measurable but thankfully very small degree, with the exception of Return of the Jedi, where it manifests itself in its most powerful form as the dreaded, cutesy Ewoks.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Ha I pissed off some nerds.

The prequels sucked. This film didn't. That's a good thing.

I was a kid when the first came out and blew so many minds, had the toys and all that jazz but it's just a movie to me.

Steve2911 posted:

I'm picking up on that...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"Hmm, this cheeseburger was not prepared to my liking. I really prefer how they made it over at Luke's BBQ"

"WHAT??!? You must not like any cheeseburgers."

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

"Hmm, this cheeseburger was not prepared to my liking. I really prefer how they made it over at Luke's BBQ"

"WHAT??!? You must not like any cheeseburgers."

Food analogy, hello old friend

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Food analogy, hello old friend

Just gotta say the colour on your avatar is so crisp. It throws me off but I love it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cheeseburger fans don't like cheeseburgers.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All that is necessary to be a Star Wars fan is to call yourself one. All that is necessary to like Star Wars is to like Star Wars. But many who do the former, to the point of cliche, do not do the latter, because the prequels are Star Wars and they hate those. Thus, this thread's cool meme.

Edit: it is demonstrated that many things about the prequels that fans often claim to hate about them are either extremely Star Wars things, or trivially false.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 27, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jek1Lg0ALgc

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Subsets of the Star Wars franchise fans do not like subsets of the Star Wars franchise.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Just gotta say the colour on your avatar is so crisp. It throws me off but I love it.

Thanks I guess? It's nothing special, just an image I found floating around online

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vintersorg posted:

That's a stupid viewpoint.

"I didn't really enjoy those movies but overall I really like Star Wars."

That's not what happened and you know it. Please stop lying to yourself.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Indeed! Why do some people feel the urge to defend the merit of the PT films? Ideology. Often there is much vitriol from all participants in such a discussion.

I would liken it to the Force. The Force is the path to enlightenment, to peace, order and understanding. The dark side is the quick and easy path, fueled by fear, anger, and hatred. We are all but mere Jedi knights, communing with the Force in order to achieve its qualities. It takes a lot of concentration, and letting go of personal feelings against others. When one channels the dark side of the Force, one is led to conflict. Darth Vader uses his battle with Luke in ESB to lure him into a trap. The Emperor tries to use battle to unleash the dark side inside of Luke in ROTJ.

These varying ways of the Force represent ideologies. We all interact with one another through our use of the Force, and our ideologies are one of the ways that governs our way of thinking, way of approaching ideas, ways of ideas about what "should be", etc.

Note that we ARE ALL Jedi (or just force-users but that sounds lame). It is in our use of the Force that we differ. And other stuff. But I'm focusing on this.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

This is good advice. Filled with the power of the dark side, this thread is.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Filthy Casual posted:

Hell, even if Yoda had to use a sword, would he even need to wield it directly? Homeboy coulda fought with it almost exclusively using telekinesis, which sounds thoroughly ballin'

I remember someone mentioned this several years ago and this movie clip got linked where these two guys were fighting by having their swords fight each other.

If anyone remembers this, link it again.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sitihgTdf-Y&t=6195s

I thought there was a better one but here's an example.

Chucat fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 27, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

THE PREQUELS: Plinkett never told you what happened to Star Wars.

A FAN: He told me enough. He told me you killed him.

THE PREQUELS: No. I am Star Wars.

A FAN: That's not true! That's impossible!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's not what happened and you know it. Please stop lying to yourself.

It's the general tone given to anyone who dares criticize the prequels in any manner.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The concept-phrase "Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars" does not refer to the number of films you like, but to fans' adoption of ideological stances that run counter to what Star Wars is actually about.

For example, many fans misread the original films as being, effectively, a celebration of feudalism/libertarianism. The prequels then counter this misreading and clarify the true meaning of Star Wars by saying - rather explicitly - that feudalism and libertarianism are dumb. The Separatist baddies are unambiguously idiots.

Force Awakens, however, then emerged as a feudalist film with Separatist heroes. Fans that celebrate TFA as 'the return of Star Wars', are actually celebrating the return of the misinterpretation of Star Wars.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Hey, Cnut, where are you getting all that behind the scenes stuff about Empire? I'd love to read more about that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

It's the general tone given to anyone who dares criticize the prequels in any manner.

I don't have the stamina to get involved in these things much, but I really think both prequel haters and defenders should be able to agree that there's a certain "tone" that comes from both sides quite often. Neither side is immune to it, just depends on who's reacting to who.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The concept-phrase "Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars" does not refer to the number of films you like, but to fans' adoption of ideological stances that run counter to what Star Wars is actually about.

For example, many fans misread the original films as being, effectively, a celebration of feudalism/libertarianism. The prequels then counter this misreading and clarify the true meaning of Star Wars by saying - rather explicitly - that feudalism and libertarianism are dumb. The Separatist baddies are unambiguously idiots.

Force Awakens, however, then emerged as a feudalist film with Separatist heroes. Fans that celebrate TFA as 'the return of Star Wars', are actually celebrating the return of the misinterpretation of Star Wars.

Your word is law?

EDIT: I'm all for looking deeper into things and cool viewpoints. But these are presented as facts and if you dont believe / understand / accept that viewpoint - you are told, "well, I guess you just don't like the movies afterall."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sten Freak posted:

We finally saw it this past weekend.

It was uncanny how many themes, scenes and even set pieces were taken from the original trilogy. It felt a couple of times like the primary role of the film was to remake the first film with a new story and some new characters. And maybe that was the point because the first films worked. It felt like SW.

But overall it was a good Star Wars and absolutely killed the stupid prequels.

As I recall Han made 2 different comments about Chewie's bow which took me out both times and made me wonder if there was going to be a point to "I like this thing" or whatever it was but it was just throwaway SW cheese. No biggie but wondering if anyone else thought it a little weird.

I was kinda surprised how different it was after hearing people bitch for weeks that it was just a remake of A New Hope. Yeah on the surface they ape a lot of plot elements, really obviously so, but in almost every instance what's actually happening means something totally different for both the characters and the plot itself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

But these are presented as facts and if you dont believe / understand / accept that viewpoint - you are told, "well, I guess you just don't like the movies afterall."

That's the part you have to let go of if you're going to get anything out of his posts though. Or just put him on ignore, whatever.

SMG will never say "in my opinion", or any of that stuff. Its his truth, doesn't mean it has to be anyone else's.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Being a fan of Star Wars is defined by how much you like Star Wars, not how much of Star Wars you like.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

Your word is law?

EDIT: I'm all for looking deeper into things and cool viewpoints. But these are presented as facts and if you dont believe / understand / accept that viewpoint - you are told, "well, I guess you just don't like the movies afterall."

What I've written is true.

This goes well beyond mere opinion. For example, many fans are of the opinion that droids aren't people. That is falsehood.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phylodox posted:

Being a fan of Star Wars is defined by how much you like Star Wars, not how much of Star Wars you like.

"Star Wars fan" is a self-identification. There's no outside thing that evaluates how much you like Star Wars and then ascribes membership in the fandom to you. And in fact, there are people who like Star Wars quite a bit but wouldn't call themselves a fan (i.e. me).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

That is falsehood.

In fact, they're not rea-

SMG are you a droid?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I kind of liked all the movies. I enjoyed the OT more, but I enjoyed the Prequels as well. I really liked the new one as well.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Im a fan of the Vancouver Canucks.

I don't know the dick length for 75% of the players.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Im a fan of the Vancouver Canucks.

I don't know the dick length for 75% of the players.

So you do know 25%?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Let's just say im gay.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vintersorg posted:

It's kind of the reverse, actually? People come in claiming the prequels are steaming garbage and people who like are crazy/trolls/other insults, and when the other side say the prequels aren't so bad, you and others treat it as if we just killed your dogs.

Like, I just pointed out how weirdly exaggerated a sentence was, and you interpreted that as

quote:

OMG U FUKKEN DIMWIT!! Don't you see the true nature of the Jedi is they are dummmmm. Guess your life is a lie and you never liked Star Wars. You fukken poser!

That's like oppositeofreality.txt right there. It's weird and creepy how simply disagreeing that the prequels are bad becomes so exaggerated in the minds of some.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

It usually is, because SMG takes the sentiment too far, especially since he holds some pretty heterodox views about the films himself. But I don't know what else to say when people are getting upset about the very idea that a Jedi Master might have been a warrior and used a lightsaber at one point. They're not upset about the execution of the scene where Yoda used a lightsaber, which is a perfectly logical and defensible position to take. They are explicitly mad about the very idea that Yoda may have ever used a lightsaber at all.

That is, almost objectively, an incredibly bizarre opinion for a so-called fan of Star Wars to hold, and serves to illustrate the extent to which this fanbase has been driven completely insane by a confluence of unique psychological and cultural forces which would probably take experienced researchers decades upon decades to analyze and document properly.

That's actually why I enjoy interacting with the Star Wars fanbase so much, though. All you have to do is simply explain some of the most basic aspects of Star Wars to them, and suddenly you're blowing minds left and right and calling down the wrath of millions upon you for your heresy.

I don't think they hate the implication that Yoda once used a weapon. This might just be me speaking, but I feel like we don't get a good feeling that Yoda is young and brash or any different from Yoda if Yoda was the leader of a council. Maybe it would have worked better if he had been made to look younger, and actively brash and aggressive from the beginning; then over the horrors of war he gets weaker and weaker physically, and is then humiliated by Palpatine in the RotS fight, with Yoda realizing that he lost to an enemy that never picked up a sword until he had already won.

As-is, the visual progression is old wrinkly alien sits on a hover chair and grimaces -> old wrinkly alien recruits a new race to ensure the safety of his captured disciples -> old wrinkly alien does silly gymnastics with another old dude -> old wrinkly alien throws chairs at an old dracula after the old dracula has already won.

Like, think of a story about a wise master who had to first be humbled to gain his wisdom; the past version of the master is typically younger and quick to make decisions. He's not the current old master, with the current old masters mannerisms, but at one point he shakes a stick at someone.

You can argue that the films subtly show him as young and impulsive and aggressive and bla bla, but the question is why, in Star Wars, where getting pissed off and angry is literally visualized by a hosed up cyborg in black armor holding a red laser, does it need to be so subtle? Is the problem that not enough time passes to justify young yoda? He is an alien, right?

As-is it just feels like Yoda wiggled around on a hoverchair, did two fights, then jumped into a swamp and uttered proverbs to frogs until Luke showed up.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4RnS8iegb0

Jaws fans love this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

RBA Starblade posted:

Maybe you don't like TFA or the bad clone wars movie or the ewok movie. So that would be 6/9. Forgot about those two didn't you? :v:

The Clone Wars movie is my prime evidence of the fact that people won't just see anything just because it has "Star Wars" in the title.

• Locked thread