Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Breaking Bad didn't have good ratings at the start, but the critics liked it. They started climbing after it went up on streaming, I think. And they shot up during Season 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Any recommendations for anything similar in tone to "It's a Beautiful Day"? Need something good that will make me laugh while wanting to cry and hang myself at the same time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lycus posted:

Breaking Bad didn't have good ratings at the start, but the critics liked it. They started climbing after it went up on streaming, I think. And they shot up during Season 5.

Vince Gilligan has said on at least one occasion that being on Netflix saved the show. And yeah, the early seasons hovered around a million viewers or so. "Felina" had more than ten million.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

mrfreeze posted:

Any recommendations for anything similar in tone to "It's a Beautiful Day"? Need something good that will make me laugh while wanting to cry and hang myself at the same time.

World of Tomorrow! ;) It's not as serious, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

mrfreeze posted:

World of Tomorrow by the same creator is also on Netflix, though it doesn't go as dark.

Edit: Let my window sit open too long.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 28, 2016

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

NESguerilla posted:

Was Breaking bad not a hit right out of the gate?
Not just the beginning of the show, either. Season 4 ended the way it did because they weren't sure if they were going to get a season 5 and decided to make a season finale that could at least somewhat serve as a series finale if they needed it to.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was hard to get a gauge on the popularity of the show. The media always talked about it a lot, but a bunch of people I talked to had never seen it. Then all of a sudden the finale season rolled around and it might as well have been Game of Thrones.

I also have Netflix to thank for that one since I didn't watch it until the first season was up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I didn't start watching Breaking Bad as it aired until towards the end of Season 3. I'd been hearing for a while how great a show it was, but I never actually saw it until like halfway through Season 3's run. So I started from the beginning and got all caught up on the show, watched the end of Season 3 as it aired, and then watched every remaining season as they aired too.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

mysterious frankie posted:

Terriers is so good that I almost suggest never starting it, because you will forever carry that sadness in your heart once the last episode of season one ends and you realize that that is it.

On the other hand, the ending of Terriers is perfect. Just like FX's other excellent series from around the same time that went nowhere, Lights Out. There's no better way to end a dramatic series than the not-cliffhanger.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

NESguerilla posted:

It was hard to get a gauge on the popularity of the show. The media always talked about it a lot, but a bunch of people I talked to had never seen it. Then all of a sudden the finale season rolled around and it might as well have been Game of Thrones.

I also have Netflix to thank for that one since I didn't watch it until the first season was up.

netflix is like 90% of the reason why the show ever got popular, it was languishing pretty hard for the first few seasons and the instant it hit netflix the ratings shot up like crazy

as for me, I was watching right from the first season because I know me some good poo poo when I see it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cat doter posted:

netflix is like 90% of the reason why the show ever got popular, it was languishing pretty hard for the first few seasons and the instant it hit netflix the ratings shot up like crazy

as for me, I was watching right from the first season because I know me some good poo poo when I see it

I never got around to watching it until after it was done. It was really good.

I kinda did the same as you for Mad Men, started watching it from day 1, told a couple friends to check it out because it seemed pretty interesting / invested a lot in the period costume and feel etc. Maybe 3-4 years later had same friends gushing about the show and asking me if I had ever watched it etc... sigh.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

On the other hand, the ending of Terriers is perfect. Just like FX's other excellent series from around the same time that went nowhere, Lights Out. There's no better way to end a dramatic series than the not-cliffhanger.

True enough. Everything about Terriers was perfect, save for the advertising. That shittily photoshopped picture of a angry terrier in the foreground holding their business card in its mouth while they sulked in the background made me think, at the time, that it was one of those dumbshit reality tv shows about bounty hunters or whatever, and I consequently passed on it until after it was already cancelled. I'm assuming, likewise, people who tuned in because of that ad, expecting some down and dirty crude guys busting heads, were equally disappointed when instead they got a comedy about a lovelorn PI in recovery and his slacker partner puttering their way to inadvertently uncovering a scammy land deal outside of San Diego.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 28, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
From the advertising you would have no goddamn idea what you were getting with Terriers. They promoted it like it was The Shield or some crap and you turn to it and it's basically like a male Rizzoli and Isles.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched the first episode of terriers it was really good. I'd never even heard of it before.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

From the advertising you would have no goddamn idea what you were getting with Terriers. They promoted it like it was The Shield or some crap and you turn to it and it's basically like a male Rizzoli and Isles.

FX was probably the wrong venue for a less charmed with itself, more laid back west coast variant of Bored To Death as well. I generally associate that channel with Simpsons reruns, edited for cable showings of superhero movies and series that rely on Pro Wrestling grade Shakespearean drama. That's not a complaint about the channel's content, mind.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh poo poo, West Coast Bored To Death is a way better comparison.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

mysterious frankie posted:

FX was probably the wrong venue for a less charmed with itself, more laid back west coast variant of Bored To Death as well. I generally associate that channel with Simpsons reruns, edited for cable showings of superhero movies and series that rely on Pro Wrestling grade Shakespearean drama. That's not a complaint about the channel's content, mind.
That's really strange, because FX has had very good original programming for a decade and a half at this point and has never showed The Simpsons.

E: FXX, the vastly inferior spinoff channel, did that big Simpsons marathon when it first launched, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 28, 2016

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

they still show the simpsons all the time on one of those, I always end up watching a ton of simpsons when I'm back at my folk's place cause they have cable

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Simpsons and It's Always Sunny are enough content to make FXX worthwhile.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Accident Underwater posted:

Simpsons and It's Always Sunny are enough content to make FXX worthwhile.

And now Archer.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Cocoa Ninja posted:

And now Archer.

I watched Archer kind of backwards, catching season 5/6 on tv and now I'm going through season 1 on netflix. It's a weird change in animation and in the characters, but it always works.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

there's some weird non-episode archer stuff that i've been seeing on one of the FX channels

like something about pam going to the farm and stuff with cyril

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I'm like halfway through Paris By Night, and if nothing else, this movie is loving cool and the lighting is tremendous. I also recommend Spirals if it's still on netflix. French people are just cool.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I loved Eve No Jinkan but maaaannn, Patema Inverted on AP is just so shallow, and slow. and its true title should be Secret Gay Upsidads

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That entire post is complete nonsense.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

NESguerilla posted:

That entire post is complete nonsense.

Its Anime so that checks out.

Edit: Its a newer movie by a pretty good scifi writer director. It is not good.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

That's really strange, because FX has had very good original programming for a decade and a half at this point and has never showed The Simpsons.

E: FXX, the vastly inferior spinoff channel, did that big Simpsons marathon when it first launched, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

I think my example was of FXX, you're right. Still tho, when I type "FX Series" into Google, the first results are all trashy, heightened and/or provocative in some way (again, none of that is a negative judgement). Terriers maybe sat a little funny squashed between stuff like a bloody Shakespearean biker crime drama and the anything but understated It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The show that made FX was Nip/Tuck so you have a point there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I always figured it was the reruns of In Living Color

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Iron Crowned posted:

I always figured it was the reruns of In Living Color

That would work too, honestly.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Early fX was actually quite innovative television for the time, it had a heavy focus on viewer interaction in an era before social media. I thought it was the coolest thing as a kid to have hosts respond to viewer emails and letters during the commercial break of the original Batman.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Konstantin posted:

Early fX was actually quite innovative television for the time, it had a heavy focus on viewer interaction in an era before social media. I thought it was the coolest thing as a kid to have hosts respond to viewer emails and letters during the commercial break of the original Batman.

There was this channel on RCN, maybe still is, where you'd contribute videos and comments on their website and then they'd put it on the air at the breaks. It was something like You Too, I want to say? Anyways, it was a really good, lame channel that reminded me of the late 90s\dot com bubble era of paid cable, where everything seemed a little alternate reality weird and highly optimistic. That and Chiller are the only two channels I need, but I have neither. Oh, my life.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Shield???

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wasn't The Shield at least a year or two after?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty sure it was before. To this day I have only seen seasons 1 and 2 because I moved to a foreign country in the summer of 2003. I don't think Nip/Tuck was on at that point.

By the way Terriers-chat has convinced me to rewatch it starting tonight :waycool:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I stand corrected, then.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Nip/Tuck any good though?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's what made Ryan Murphy famous, possibly the ultimate YMMV.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'd say the first 3 seasons were good. Then it kind of went over the rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Medullah posted:

I'd say the first 3 seasons were good. Then it kind of went over the rails.

Again: restrained for him. Even Boston Public was in like season five before there was a basement sex club in the high school.