Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

please dont troll the new people with bad advice

Maybe I just had a really luck early game, but I didn't have to do a single suicide run or grind at all. That seems like a good way to get a new player to get bored real fast, so I'm not sure what's wrong with the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I've not played this since it first was in Early Access, what are some cool + good team compositions that are also fun as well?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Jackard posted:

Not even The Yips?
Diseases are generally worth curing, negative quirks generally aren't (for much of the game).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

please dont troll the new people with bad advice
It's not bad advice. Goons seem to overemphasize the degenerate gameplay of abusing level 0 heroes. The thing is, even if you're getting gold and heirlooms, you're not going to make progress unless you're letting characters gain Resolve XP and level up. I think the goon stagecoach rush is easily interpreted as 'choose a team of 4 dudes, and make them PERFECT, discard everyone else', which is a really loving tedious way to play the game. The Darkest Dungeon mechanics in particular imply that the intended metagame is to instead have a deep bench of heroes, which is most reasonably obtained by leveling up a large cohort through successful and profitable missions, as opposed to level-0 runs which are profitable but which don't give you human capital. I haven't really been doing dark runs on my serious file since as soon as a team is overpowered enough for that to be a reasonable option, they're basically already locked into the next tier of dungeon.

Getting 'free' gold through level 0 runs is available as a way of getting out of the hole if you're bankrupt, but otherwise you should always be trying to build a stronger roster. You need extra roster space as you build up a deeper bench, but getting more recruits/week isn't necessary unless you're either A) burning through level 0s at a tedious pace or B) are trying to get a particular class or classes.

MotU posted:

I've not played this since it first was in Early Access, what are some cool + good team compositions that are also fun as well?
Something along the lines of Occultist/Highwayman/Crusader/Bounty Hunter is my current favorite type of team. The Bounty Hunter has really great DPS combined with other classes providing a stun or mark (You could swap out the occultist for a houndmaster, vestal, or plague doctor, for instance). Highwayman/Crusader are also good damage, and by using duelist's advance you have the choice of setting up a holy lance shuffle. The grave robber with her Lunge could also work in place of the highwayman as the mobile character. Both Crusader and Bounty hunter have stuns in case controlling the fight is more important than damage.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 28, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MotU posted:

I had a great time with Vestal+Plague Doc+Crusader+Hellion, and I've had fun with Arbalest+Occultist+Houndmaster+Bounty Hunter. In general I enjoy a healer (vestal or occultist) + at least one heavy hitter (hellion/crusader/abomination) for experimenting with the other classes, though.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I wonder how much advice people are following that was from during early access. Based on your post, I'd say a surprising amount. Like an amazingly large amount. That or you are not understanding the advice and why it is presented.

In regards to #1, the advice I generally see is "get to 4/week heroes, and upgrade your roster as it fills". Bigger size is better for players who aren't as good, because it gives them more options when some are down and out. It also will let them run level 1 dungeons longer before having to run level 3.

For #2, most people aren't recommending grinding runs. When they get offered as an option, someone has worked themselves into a corner, and doing that is much better than trying to restart. I personally like to suggest running at 51-75 light to get some bonus loot, which should help out with the "running out of money because they aren't as good at the game yet" bits.

#3, Leper is an ok hero who is good in certain situations. Those are far fewer than the situations he is bad in, and the reasons he is bad will lead to lovely runs for a new player. Primarily, the main stress guys are in the back row, and you have 1 guy on your party who is never attacking them. So either the front bits are getting focused instead, or the damage is getting split too far and the enemies are getting a lot of extra turns. Someone who is more experienced can build a party and approach a fight to take these into account, but don't expect someone with minimal game mastery to do so.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megasabin posted:

I just beat all the Veteran level bosses. Ran some champion level dungeons, which are challenging but good. Great game, but I think this is probably where I call it. Doing the same thing for another 10+ hours just to grind out the rest seems pretty dull.

I disagree with a few select pieces of advice given in this thread over and over. For an alternative approach:

1. In terms of upgrades and general usage of deeds, heavily prioritize the blacksmith over the stage coach. If your heroes are upgraded with weapons and armor, they won't be dying as often. Max out the roster size gradually as you find the need to expand due to team's being down to stress/quirk recovery. The number of guys the stagecoach brings only needs to be upgraded once or twice. I'm 30 hours in and that track is still 2 away from max.

2. Don't grind for money, don't do dark runs. Don't do that nonsense about hiring 4 people off the stagecoach, throwing them into a dark run, and then firing them. It's a waste of time. The game is grindy enough without this silliness. You shouldn't ever need to grind for money in this game. Unless you are suffering catastrophic wipes, each mission you do should net you more than enough money to keep upgrading skills/weapons/armor at a good rate. Don't bother removing any negative perk other than kleptomaniac, and don't bother locking positive quirks. I've never had money issues in this game, and I've never even sold a trinket.

3. Leper is a great hero who is only bad in certain specific situations. He can hit the first 2 dudes for tons of damage, he has a great -damage - accuracy debuff also for the first 2 dudes, and he can heal himself for stress or health. Just don't bring him to any boss fight where the boss hides behind an object (Hag, Prophet, Necromancer, Drowned Crew, Formless Flesh cause of prot%). People in this thread do that, and then cry about the hero being bad. His accuracy is not great at first, but can easily be fixed with trinkets and camp buffs.

I agree with every part of this.

Especially the first part.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megasabin posted:

Maybe I just had a really luck early game, but I didn't have to do a single suicide run or grind at all. That seems like a good way to get a new player to get bored real fast, so I'm not sure what's wrong with the advice.

I was mostly being a dick :v:

But you should lock good positive traits early, as it gets more expensive to do later on.
I'd still prioritize the stagecoach upgrades, roster size and getting more dudes per week, over things like the cheaper upgrade costs from the blacksmith and the guild. I would only upgrade the blacksmith and guild when I had 2+ people that could use upgrades for the next tier. Beyond that, stagecoach was priority #1.
Tossing new people into the grinder is a good strat if you are really broke(somehow) and need cash. Or just toss them out and get a new level 0 if they have a shitload of stress so you don't waste money on stress relief or getting rid of all their annoying quirks.

Totally disagree on the Leper though. I can't think of a single fight where I would take him over someone else. I have never said "man I wish I had the Leper for this bossfight / encounter"

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Totally disagree on the Leper though. I can't think of a single fight where I would take him over someone else. I have never said "man I wish I had the Leper for this bossfight / encounter"

Especially when later on, there's mobs that completely revolve around moving around your dudes which is Leper's number 1 weakness second to accuracy. That's why Graverobbers, Crusaders, and Hellions are so good!

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I enjoy dark runs honestly. I tend to find that if your party is upgraded enough and you understand the mechanics of the game that they are generally not much harder than a normal run. I also like the Leper, pairing him with a Crusader and having them both do their attack the front 2 enemies works great. I guess I kinda feel like there's a hundred different ways to play the game, I'm sure there's some best party combination best way of going about everything but you can still be successful by learning the game mechanics and playing around with your own party combinations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think the biggest "problem" with the Leper is that, while he's good in a specific niche (kicking the hell out of whatever's in the front two rows), he's not noticeably better at it than any other class, and the other major front-line high-damage classes (Hellion, Abomination in particular) bring some extra versatility to the table. Honestly, give the Leper a rank 3 or 4 move forward ability (maybe tack Forward 1 onto Purge or something) and he'd be great.

Lepers are fine, there's just usually a better choice. This isn't really a game where you need (or have the opportunity to) make every choice an optimal one, though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The thing that confuses me about people endorsing dark runs is that on any medium or long mission you are so bursting to the gills with loot even on high light levels that I don't see the point. I never, ever walk out of a non-short mission without a completely full inventory of gold, gems, and hamlet stuff and I very rarely go dark. And yes that includes dumping all consumables by the end of the mission.

Maybe on a short run I can see the benefit but even on those I exit the dungeon with full loot more often than not. Dark runs just seem like a great way to take extra stress for no reason because you'll be loaded by the time you exit no matter what.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
Just had run ins with the Collector three missions in a row, and stomped him each time. Who knew all you needed was a Crusader, Highwayman, and Hound Master? Although each run the Highwayman managed to contract rabies at the end :shepface:. I mean, at least the disease cure camp skill is free so I can't be mad, but I'm pretty sure this means we're going to have to put ol' Scoob down.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But you should lock good positive traits early, as it gets more expensive to do later on.
This is still super-expensive, the good traits seem marginal enough to me that the cost is prohibitive even at level 2. That's thousands of gold that can go into upgrades, disease relief and maybe even a little stress relief. Sure, it's a good idea when you're swimming in gold, but at that point you don't need advice from strangers on the internet.

quote:

I'd still prioritize the stagecoach upgrades, roster size and getting more dudes per week, over things like the cheaper upgrade costs from the blacksmith and the guild. I would only upgrade the blacksmith and guild when I had 2+ people that could use upgrades for the next tier. Beyond that, stagecoach was priority #1.
The truth is that the blacksmith upgrades are both expensive and vital. The first tier of upgrades is useful to your heroes as long as you have successfully completed ANY dungeon, and that's 20 deeds right there. I haven't been in a position where I could afford a blacksmith upgrade and not have a pile of characters who could benefit from it. The cost reduction upgrades save such an enormous amount of gold that I can't imagine neglecting them. Doing Veteran dungeons is much more comfortable with the second tier of blacksmith and guild upgrades, and for Champion dungeons you need every advantage at your disposal.

I'm not saying to leave the stagecoach totally alone, I'm just saying that the blacksmith should be priority #1, and the stagecoach is the one you do later.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Chomp's Guide to Pro Sanitarium Use

1) Lock in the "Eldritch Slayer" trait on anyone who gets it in preparation for the Darkest Dungeon

2) Purge any traits that increase stress in preparation for the Darkest Dungeon

3) Never go to the Darkest Dungeon because the game is just way too loving long.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Radiochromatic posted:

Just had run ins with the Collector three missions in a row, and stomped him each time. Who knew all you needed was a Crusader, Highwayman, and Hound Master? Although each run the Highwayman managed to contract rabies at the end :shepface:. I mean, at least the disease cure camp skill is free so I can't be mad, but I'm pretty sure this means we're going to have to put ol' Scoob down.

Rabies is actually a really solid disease and it's worth keeping if you can handle the accuracy loss.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, I mean, after bringing some of my issues to the thread, I feel like I'm a lot more prepared to do well, but I think some of the more experianced people here have forgotten how just starting out in the game goes.

When you first start the game, you don't understand the mechanics and you don't understand how much information is available. I played for hours before I noticed that I can see an enemies exact resistances by mousing over them. I don't mind that playing around with curios early lead to some bad poo poo happening. But then I'm in a situation where I ran out of money and I can't fix the guys I "know how to play". So I have to settle for a different combination of guys that I found on the stagecoach. I don't understand their abilities at first, so when things go south and I have an opportunity to go back to the first team, I do that. Then I feel like I have something figured out but then one of my guys dies and now I have to learn a new class and make a new team. But I can't use any of my team because their stress is too high, so in order to make time pass, I have to play with some other guys I don't know how to use.

It's all a pretty fun experiance, but I think that if you aren't reading wikis and intentionally learning outside of the game, it's really easy to have a very distorted view of what you should be doing.

I mean, I had what I though was a great team that I understood the synergy of, and then my hound master got to level 3. I thought it was a great thing, I spent 2k gold, when I only had 5k, to upgrade his armor. Then I realized that I couldn't use him on any of the missions I was doing with the rest of my a-team. So now there's a hole. So I'm trying to groom a replacement real quick. I figure I grab one off the coach and level him in one run and do the boss. Then my healer hits level 3. Now everything is worse and I realize that my entire idea of building a strong team I knew how to use isn't possible that way.

So by this point I've already sunk lots of resources into upgrading things I probably shouldn't have, and I realize that I need to devote resources to increasing my coach and barracks sizes so that I can get a better rolling replacement system going. And that's all fine. I'm not really mad about it.

But it wasn't obvious that the choices I was making were bad or were hamstringing my general progression.

edit: As far as dark runs go, it's not about them being good, it's "well I have 1,000 gold, and I need for time to pass. You have to go on a run for time to pass. There's no other way to make your guys heal stress. So you have to send someone on a run. 1000 gold isn't enough to fully outfit a party of people you want to see come back. So your choices are limited to people you don't care if they come back, and you need to turn a prophet on the run so that you have enough to fully outfit a party when you get back.

I mean, I don't have any good camping skills unlocked on most of my guys. Should that be a really high priority? My upgrade spending priority has been "unlock necessary skills for build -> upgrade armor -> upgrade primary skill -> upgrade weapon". I almost never do anything but short runs because it's a tossup whether they survive those.

I'm in week 42, and if I had to guess, I'd say 20+ of those runs were me taking a bunch of guys I didn't know how to play to pass the time and try to make a buck so I could get back playing the guys I think I understand how to play.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 28, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Megasabin posted:

3. Leper is a great hero who is only bad in certain specific situations. He can hit the first 2 dudes for tons of damage, he has a great -damage - accuracy debuff also for the first 2 dudes, and he can heal himself for stress or health. Just don't bring him to any boss fight where the boss hides behind an object (Hag, Prophet, Necromancer, Drowned Crew, Formless Flesh cause of prot%). People in this thread do that, and then cry about the hero being bad. His accuracy is not great at first, but can easily be fixed with trinkets and camp buffs.

Actually people say the leper is bad because you can get ambushed on any mission and a leper moved to the back row is useless. Fights where your party gets shuffled around are the hardest ones, and the leper is easily made worthless in them. That's why he sucks.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think it should be stupidly obvious to stop upgrading the stage coach once you have something resembling a roster.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

I think it should be stupidly obvious to stop upgrading the stage coach once you have something resembling a roster.

I've maxed out the stagecoach upgrades in search of something resembling a roster.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Snak posted:

I'm in week 42, and if I had to guess, I'd say 20+ of those runs were me taking a bunch of guys I didn't know how to play to pass the time and try to make a buck so I could get back playing the guys I think I understand how to play.
:shepface:

here's a mod designed to make the game easier. this may help. you can also turn off corpses and heart attacks and such in the options. good luck.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Snak posted:

1000 gold isn't enough to fully outfit a party of people you want to see come back. So your choices are limited to people you don't care if they come back, and you need to turn a prophet on the run so that you have enough to fully outfit a party when you get back.
I think 1000 gold is reasonable for a short survivable run. If you go with 1 shovel, 4 torches and 4 food that's only 850. You might get a little unlucky with multiple hunger events (try to limit your backtracking), but the biggest downside is that you have to rely on the dungeon to give you items to get positive curio interactions. I consider it a disposable run if you go in with zilch-no food no torches no shovel. In that case your guys might make it back but in all likelihood they'll have a bunch of stress.

quote:

I mean, I don't have any good camping skills unlocked on most of my guys. Should that be a really high priority? My upgrade spending priority has been "unlock necessary skills for build -> upgrade armor -> upgrade primary skill -> upgrade weapon". I almost never do anything but short runs because it's a tossup whether they survive those.
I think the camping skills can be quite good, but it's quite expensive to unlock more and most of the time the three starting ones will suffice. I would focus on core competencies.

e: that mod claims that it's 'less grindy' but the biggest change is "Higher level heroes can go to lower level dungeon" :shepface:

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 28, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

:shepface:

here's a mod designed to make the game easier. this may help. you can also turn off corpses and heart attacks and such in the options. good luck.

I don't want the game to be easier? I don't understand why you're acting like I'm some giant moron because the best strategies weren't apparent when I started and now I'm in a hole.

So here are my currently available guys (guys I have with less than 35 stress):
ROSTER:
Leper lvl 0
Leper lvl 2
Crusader lvl 0
Highwayman lvl 0
Highwayman lvl 2
Occultist lvl 2
Vestal lvl 1
Plague Doctor lvl 1

STAGE COACH:
2x Bounty Hunter
Vestal
Abomination
Arbalest
Hellion

I have 10k gold right now, so I can afford to unlock any skills they need if they are currently locked, as well as outfit.

what is the best team I can put together from these so that I can make grinding a thing of the past?

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 28, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'd actually argue the whole "Heroes are disposable" mentality is important early game less because it's easily exploitable, more because it encourages being able to let go.

I'm the type of guy who can send hundreds of nameless, faceless conscripts to their deaths in Red Alert 2 without batting an eye, but a single one of my dudes in Fire Emblem dies, mutters "Tell my brother...I'm sorry," and I immediately reset the mission to save his life. When I first started the game I found myself constantly frustrated because I was bending Heaven and Earth to try and keep my guys happy and healthy and stress-free. I lost tons of money trying to treat quirks in the Sanitarium or pursuing every stress relieving activity possible. When one of my guys died I took it poorly, and felt like I was barely making any progress whatsoever.

It was only after I accepted the expendability of my adventurers that I was able to get over my early game hump. I enjoy the game now in a way I didn't back then, and I'm grateful for it. The loss of a hero is always irritating, but it's no longer a source of frustration.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd actually argue the whole "Heroes are disposable" mentality is important early game less because it's easily exploitable, more because it encourages being able to let go.

I'm the type of guy who can send hundreds of nameless, faceless conscripts to their deaths in Red Alert 2 without batting an eye, but a single one of my dudes in Fire Emblem dies, mutters "Tell my brother...I'm sorry," and I immediately reset the mission to save his life. When I first started the game I found myself constantly frustrated because I was bending Heaven and Earth to try and keep my guys happy and healthy and stress-free. I lost tons of money trying to treat quirks in the Sanitarium or pursuing every stress relieving activity possible. When one of my guys died I took it poorly, and felt like I was barely making any progress whatsoever.

It was only after I accepted the expendability of my adventurers that I was able to get over my early game hump. I enjoy the game now in a way I didn't back then, and I'm grateful for it. The loss of a hero is always irritating, but it's no longer a source of frustration.

Yeah, this is one of the things that cost me a lot early on. I thought "this isn't so hard" and I was spending 3k on supplies every run and 3k when I got back on treatment. Then when I whiped, I didn't get my 6K from the mission and I looked at my roster and I just had like 12 afflicted guys and no money at all. So all the blacksmith upgrades and stuff were wasted and I realized "welp, I'm dumb" and started firing people instead of curing them.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Give into the Madness. Life is cheap.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually people say the leper is bad because you can get ambushed on any mission and a leper moved to the back row is useless. Fights where your party gets shuffled around are the hardest ones, and the leper is easily made worthless in them. That's why he sucks.

This and also that Hew is not good enough to justify the hero over others. Especially when you get to Veteran dungeons and the front lines contain size 2's that Hew is worthless against. His heals are okay but they're part of the problem of making the class feel not as flexible as every other competitor for rank 1. They could be replaced with much better skills instead of taking up two skill slots themselves when his other skills are also not as impressive. He can't even use his heals unless he's in rank 1-2.

The problem is not that the Leper is bad. Everyone agrees, the Leper is okay but not nearly as good as most heroes of his type. He is viable and I love my own little Leper I named Zerk. But all we need is a little buff on the guy and we wouldn't feel so bad about using him over a Hellion.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think a Crusader with trinkets can probably out-dps the Leper on average in the end too.

Man it just sucks when the Leper goes on miss streaks even with his accuracy camp buff. Always leaves me wondering.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Rabies is actually a really solid disease and it's worth keeping if you can handle the accuracy loss.

Rabies owns. Everyone get rabies

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is Crusader's Inspiring Cry a group stress-heal? Cause if it is it seems like it would be really good. But I thought I tried it once and it wasn't... don't really want to try it again just to find out.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I beat the second part of the darkest dungeon using a leper. He was also the only one in my party without that torch trinket. I was so proud of the little guy.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Snak posted:

Is Crusader's Inspiring Cry a group stress-heal? Cause if it is it seems like it would be really good. But I thought I tried it once and it wasn't... don't really want to try it again just to find out.
It's single-target, the game doesn't really make it clear which skills target one party member vs the whole party imo. The Houndmaster has a group stress-heal, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FreeKillB posted:

It's single-target, the game doesn't really make it clear which skills target one party member vs the whole party imo. The Houndmaster has a group stress-heal, though.

Yeah, I really wish the ability descriptions were clearer. But I will just keep asking here!

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 28, 2016

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I don't know if this point has already been raised but why do monsters get to leave corpses but the player characters don't? It's really irritating when my back liners are brought forward and made completely useless if my front muscle bites the dust.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

I don't want the game to be easier? I don't understand why you're acting like I'm some giant moron because the best strategies weren't apparent when I started and now I'm in a hole.

So here are my currently available guys (guys I have with less than 35 stress):
ROSTER:
Leper lvl 0
Leper lvl 2
Crusader lvl 0
Highwayman lvl 0
Highwayman lvl 2
Occultist lvl 2
Vestal lvl 1
Plague Doctor lvl 1

STAGE COACH:
2x Bounty Hunter
Vestal
Abomination
Arbalest
Hellion

I have 10k gold right now, so I can afford to unlock any skills they need if they are currently locked, as well as outfit.

what is the best team I can put together from these so that I can make grinding a thing of the past?

Get that Hellion from the stage coach for sure. She owns. Take the bounty hunter and abom too. Ditch the level 0 highwayman and leper. Maybe both lepers if you need space.

Macaluso posted:

Fated quirk + rabies is a good time. Fated owns.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Macaluso posted:

I hate rabies because missing attacks fills with me rage. Also it becomes a serious problem with how dodgy level 5 enemies are.

Incidentally the 4 rabid dog encounter is one of my least favorite ones!

Snak posted:

Its single target. Its a nice thing to throw around when you don't need your crusader to punch something at the moment. Also it heals a tiny amount so it can be used to get someone out of death's door in a pinch.

VVV Personally I run my crusaders with Smite, the Scroll, Holy Lance, and Inspiring Cry. Stunning blow is fine, I just don't like relying on stuns unless they have a really high proc chance. I don't really like the rest of his moves though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 28, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Its single target. Its a nice thing to throw around when you don't need your crusader to punch something at the moment. Also it heals a tiny amount so it can be used to get someone out of death's door in a pinch.

So what should my forth crusader skill be?

I guess that can't be answered in a vacuum...

I have
Rank 4: Vestal (Dazzeling Light, Divine Grace, Divine Comfort, Hand of Light)
Rank 3: Hound Master (Hound's Rush, Cry Havoc, Guard Dog, Target Whistle)
Rank 2: Bounty Hunter (Collect Bounty, Finish Him, Come Hither, Flashbang)
Rank 1: Crusader (Smite, Inspiring Cry, Stunning Blow, Holy Lance)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

I think the biggest "problem" with the Leper is that, while he's good in a specific niche (kicking the hell out of whatever's in the front two rows), he's not noticeably better at it than any other class, and the other major front-line high-damage classes (Hellion, Abomination in particular) bring some extra versatility to the table. Honestly, give the Leper a rank 3 or 4 move forward ability (maybe tack Forward 1 onto Purge or something) and he'd be great.

Lepers are fine, there's just usually a better choice. This isn't really a game where you need (or have the opportunity to) make every choice an optimal one, though.

ding ding ding

If you need a front row beatstick Leper can definitely do that, but he brings several weaknesses and no real advantages over other front row beatsticks. And he's shoehorned into such a narrow role that it's a constraint for teambuilding, again without any particular reward for building a team to make up for his shortcomings except "you get a guy who can beat people up about as well as other guys can."

Snak posted:

So what should my forth crusader skill be?

I guess that can't be answered in a vacuum...

I have
Rank 4: Vestal (Dazzeling Light, Divine Grace, Divine Comfort, Hand of Light)
Rank 3: Hound Master (Hound's Rush, Cry Havoc, Guard Dog, Target Whistle)
Rank 2: Bounty Hunter (Collect Bounty, Finish Him, Come Hither, Flashbang)
Rank 1: Crusader (Smite, Inspiring Cry, Stunning Blow, Holy Lance)

Swap between Inspiring Cry and Battle Heal based on whichever you need more at any given moment.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'd go with Battle Heal for a back up heal and for when you're down to one target and want to get some extra healing in.

Keep in mind you can switch skills while walking around the dungeon, so you could always swap between inspiring cry and battle heal depending on your need heading into a fight.

E: on your vestal replace hand of light with judgement, it deals damage and heals the vestal.

E2: Along the lines of swapping skills in a dungeon, I do that with the houndmaster a lot. That way if you're dudes are low on stress you can bring the AoE that hits all the enemies, the self heal when necessary, and his stun is handy. That might be better advice when you get more gold though.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 28, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I would not take Hand of Light on my vestal in this party. You're already reasonably flexible. Your houndmaster works from every rank but 1 and your Vestal works from every rank but 1. BH works from any rank and crusader works from any rank. If your vestal gets shuffled into 1 you have 3/4 operational, same for your houndmaster. Take Inspiring Cry and Judgment and you have a fairly flexible party that shouldn't poo poo itself at an ambush. The vestal becomes your most position-dependent dude but that's a worthwhile risk.

Drop Come Hither for Uppercut and you're even more flexible; you don't have a leper you need to pull poo poo to, you have fairly solid coverage on every rank (and can shuffle a mob out of R4 with a flashbang). Knocking a rank 2 enemy back into rank 3 is often a great way to disable their power move, Uppercut is good poo poo. Also if your BH gets shuffled into r1 you still have a stun.

I'm not crazy about your houndmaster loadout but it's functional.

MacheteZombie posted:

I'd go with Battle Heal for a back up heal and for when you're down to one target and want to get some extra healing in.

Keep in mind you can switch skills while walking around the dungeon, so you could always swap between inspiring cry and battle heal depending on your need heading into a fight.

Yeah this is a big part of why the Crusader is so good, never forget you can do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Personally, I just outright refuse to trade accuracy for damage. As far as I'm concerned, it's not worth it to risk doing no damage for a chance to do slightly more. Maybe if it was a full 100% increase, then I'd consider it. As it stands, I'd rather just slap on +dmg and +acc trinkets for ranged attacks, stick him in slot 3, and one shot practically anything. But I mean, to each their own.