Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So I know the show never addresses this question, but what's the general feeling in the fandom about episodes involving things like the christmas ghosts, genies, etc? Are they considered non-canon? Or, in the X-Files universe, are there really all these supernatural forces running around the planet while aliens are also visiting? Does the aliens' home planet also have ghosts on it, or are they just an earth phenomenon?

Couldn't Mulder have used his genie wish to make Samantha come back, or to wish all the evil aliens away from earth forever? Why don't these storylines intersect?

Fringe did a really good job of having everything tied into just one "subgenre" of SF (basically, out-of-control science) but X-Files goes crazy dipping into every pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
In general I think The X-Files is a show that prefers to "live in the moment," not worrying about continuity, and tends to work best when it does. The show is at its worst when it tries to impose a rigid framework onto the ethereal mysteries and concepts that it normally only hints at. (See: the later seasons when the writers tried to pretend that they hadn't been making the entire thing up episode by episode as they went along.) The specific details of conspiracies don't really matter because the show is less about the conspiracies themselves and more about what goes on in the mind of conspiracy nuts, people for whom conspiracy is a religion.

You really can't read the show as having much of a "canon" because it makes zero sense if you do.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

I have a potentially stupid question, or maybe its just that the first episode really was that bad.

Isn't this a rehash of a storyline they did around the midpoint of the series, maybe season 4 or 5? Mulder got a lead from some contact that led him to evidence that showed the whole UFO/alien abduction phenomenon was just a smokescreen for government experiments. I swear all that happened before, I think around the time when he almost came to believe Samantha had been abducted by a serial killer.

Am I missing some detail that makes this storyline different from that storyline? Does the direct involvement of the Roswell crash change things somehow? Did I miss a line if dialogue somewhere?

Simple answer is that that episode was nearly 20 years ago and to make a new show to build on after that storyline they decided to just redo the plot instead of relying on people remembering it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
No there's definitely no distinction between the alien centric episodes and the wackier supernatural stuff, it all happened.

The way I've always thought of it is that all of these ghosts, monsters, creatures, mutations, etc. are there to be discovered by anyone who cares enough to look for them. For the most part though only Mulder(and maybe a few exceptions like the Lone Gunmen) keeps meticulously organized files on every unexplained phenomena. So when the average person hears about Joe Schmoe down the street being murdered by exsanguination, they either shrug it off or they talk to someone about it and maybe end up in a mental institution. When Mulder hears about an exsanguination he goes into his exsanguination files and cross references them by ten different variables and bam he's got a theory and pretty soon he's going to get to the bottom of it because he can just book a flight wherever he wants on the FBI's dime.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
in han solo voice "Its all true, all of it"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

X-Files is basically an anthology. It would be made worse with the narrowed focus of Stargate continuity where Mulder slowly builds his anti-alien team out of hot genie, Vietnamese guy who grows magic mushrooms, Eve 6, and creepy psychic child.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Don't forget the lovable ghost couple who give sage advice after Mulder loses his way.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

And Roky, Lord Kinbote's chosen messiah.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Will CSM ever get his story published in a real magazine? :ohdear:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
S1:2 Deep Throat is very good, haven't watched that one in a long time and Scully does some Jack Bauer action near the end.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 28, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
One of the things that's easy to forget if you haven't rewatched the show in a long time is how cold blooded Scully is. She definitely shoots more dudes than Mulder does over the course of the show, I'd bet on it. Especially since Mulder's out of the picture after a certain point. When she aims at something, she tends to hit it.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

So I know the show never addresses this question, but what's the general feeling in the fandom about episodes involving things like the christmas ghosts, genies, etc? Are they considered non-canon? Or, in the X-Files universe, are there really all these supernatural forces running around the planet while aliens are also visiting? Does the aliens' home planet also have ghosts on it, or are they just an earth phenomenon?

Couldn't Mulder have used his genie wish to make Samantha come back, or to wish all the evil aliens away from earth forever? Why don't these storylines intersect?

Fringe did a really good job of having everything tied into just one "subgenre" of SF (basically, out-of-control science) but X-Files goes crazy dipping into every pot.
It feels fine to me because it's a classic Charles Fort outlook, and the X-Files very much draws on Forteana just as much as it does conspiracy theories.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Basebf555 posted:

One of the things that's easy to forget if you haven't rewatched the show in a long time is how cold blooded Scully is. She definitely shoots more dudes than Mulder does over the course of the show, I'd bet on it. Especially since Mulder's out of the picture after a certain point. When she aims at something, she tends to hit it.

Yeah but she's literally immortal so she's not worried about getting shot :v:

Also I forgot how awesome the score for this show has been throughout its run and these new episodes are no different in that respect.

redmedicine
Mar 7, 2015

pahuyuth posted:

Also I forgot how awesome the score for this show has been throughout its run and these new episodes are no different in that respect.

later seasons had too much drat oboe, happy they've reprised the 90s keyboards and synths

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

The MSJ posted:

This alien DNA experiment revelation realy put into perspective the number of seemingly random mutants that was on this show since season 1. Tooms, flame assassin, electric Darrin, insect boy from the episode with Aaron Paul, crazy plant control lady, Hungry guy, fat sucker, all of them could be alien hybrids.

Tooms was born in the early 1900s, so before the aliens showed up or anybody tried doing cloning experiments.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I knew the scientist that showed Mulder the ARV in My Struggle looked familiar but I couldn't place where. Turns out that actor has been in 2 (now 3) X-Files episodes and 3 Millennium episodes, all as different characters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiro_Kanagawa

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

redmedicine posted:

anyone else find it pretty jarring how episode 2 just starts with them back in suits investigating cases again like it's no big deal? i understand the time constraints and all, but still.

I don't understand why they just didn't start the whole miniseries that way instead of wasting a whole episode on stupid exposition. If they would have just had them back at their old job with no explanation, it would have led to mystery as to how and why they were back at their old jobs, which they could have explored in later episodes or later seasons at their own leisure and had plenty of time to come up with some better explanation.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Basebf555 posted:

Ya, it's a joke in my circle of friends that Scully just goes in firing and always immediately pulls out her gun when the situation hasn't demonstrated a need for it. She'd make for a really bad cop.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I knew the scientist that showed Mulder the ARV in My Struggle looked familiar but I couldn't place where. Turns out that actor has been in 2 (now 3) X-Files episodes and 3 Millennium episodes, all as different characters.

Also the Sister in the hospital has been in several previous episodes, playing an FBI therapist in some. Shallow talent pool in Vancouver.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gravitee posted:

Also the Sister in the hospital has been in several previous episodes, playing an FBI therapist in some. Shallow talent pool in Vancouver.

Look up Terry O'Quinn and how many roles he had

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gravitee posted:

No, not really. Pretty much everything films in Vancouver now. The X Files crew just hire people they've worked with before and liked over people that are gonna be a wild card

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Look up Terry O'Quinn and how many roles he had

I think its three right? Two different characters during the first few seasons of the show and then that role in the movie where he lets the bomb go off.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I think its three right? Two different characters during the first few seasons of the show and then that role in the movie where he lets the bomb go off.

Doesn't he come back in the last couple seasons in connection with the super soldiers or something?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are you thinking of Adam Baldwin? It would have been too meta to have Terry O'Quinn show up in the Millennium crossover episode.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Austrian mook posted:

Ya, it's a joke in my circle of friends that Scully just goes in firing and always immediately pulls out her gun when the situation hasn't demonstrated a need for it. She'd make for a really bad cop.

Judging from the news lately, it may be bad but the approach is definitely realistic for a cop.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Octy posted:

Doesn't he come back in the last couple seasons in connection with the super soldiers or something?

Yes, he does. He's in the season 9 episode where they tease the entire episode that mulder is coming back but he isn't.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Castor Poe posted:

Chris Carter being Chris Carter, the finale will end with Mulder and Scully being digested by hallucinogenic fungi.

Except that episode was actually good so it wouldn't be a Chris Carter one.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just expect him to show up if you watch TV. He was recently on both iZombie and Heroes Reborn. In fact he appears to be on every other recent genre shows especially if they need someone Japanese.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Castor Poe posted:

Chris Carter being Chris Carter, the finale will end with Mulder and Scully being digested by hallucinogenic fungi.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

X-Files is basically an anthology. It would be made worse with the narrowed focus of Stargate continuity where Mulder slowly builds his anti-alien team out of hot genie, Vietnamese guy who grows magic mushrooms, Eve 6, and creepy psychic child.

You forgot the twin who cause people to fight!!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
There's roughly a 100% chance that the last ever episode of the show, whenever that is, will be written by Chris Carter. So, get used to that in advance I guess.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

They're getting Lance Henriksen to do another guest spot?!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

How many creepy psychic children were there in this show again?

I want to see what happens if the Goldberg Variation guy gets abducted. Probably ends with him in his underwear but otherwise unharmed, in a crater that used to be Area 51.

bobkatt013 posted:

You forgot the twin who cause people to fight!!

YANKEE DOODLE IN A CUP!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The best psychic kid/teen episode is DPO because that giant loser does exactly what any teen with lightning powers would do; kill everyone who even looked at him wrong.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The best psychic kid/teen episode is DPO because that giant loser does exactly what any teen with lightning powers would do; kill everyone who even looked at him wrong.

Kill Jack Black then direct a movie where you get a blow job?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Become a Scientologist?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay so I recorded episode one of the new episodes but somehow missed getting episode 2. Can it be streamed or found anywhere or will it be repeated?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I just watched the two new episodes. What's up with the alien invasion they were leading up to at the end of the season 9? Did that all happen?

Because it seems like that was all hand-waved away with the "We've been lied to for over a decade" and their new explanation of all the alien visitors trying to "Day the Earth Stood Still" us since the 40s.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
it's not really reasonable to continue a 9 season long story after a break of more than a decade. they had a chance to wrap that poo poo up with the movies but they didn't, now it's time for something new. plus all that 2012 poo poo doesn't work anyway so they don't have much choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
This second episode made me think back to the Red Museum episode from season 2. Kids were being kidnapped and injected with alien DNA taken from the alien fetus. I feel like we've seen this all before, but they're trying really hard to pretend that it's new.

• Locked thread