Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
by "did a little research" he actually means "read that section of 4 Hour Work Week," which he references but does not credit with the idea of using VA's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

JawnV6 posted:

by "did a little research" he actually means "read that section of 4 Hour Work Week," which he references but does not credit with the idea of using VA's

He sort of does at the end, though he misspells the guy's name.

quote:

And one more thing: Your VA is a person… not an augmented version of Siri. The more you build a real connection with them, the better experience you’ll have. When first working together, I recommend hopping on a quick Skype call to get to know each other a little bit. Build the sense of connection early on and check-in every couple months to see if there’s anything you can do to help make their job easier. If you serve them like a real leader, then they’ll feel cared for and take on more ownership.

Make sure you speak to them like a real person once every few months. But make it clear they are not getting paid for the conversation, as this bit of time spending is a double whammy - you aren't doing anything important and they aren't making your life easier. This will help them take on more ownership, the good kind that doesn't involve any sharing of profits. They're family oriented; they don't give a poo poo about profits. What would a family do with profits anyways?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theranos just keeps on giving

quote:

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has decided that Theranos' Newark, California, facility poses "immediate jeopardy to patient safety." A letter sent to the company on January 25th says that the lab has been given 10 days to provide "acceptable evidence of correction."

Specifically, the document cites problems with the laboratory director, the technical supervisor, hematology, and the lab's analytic systems. CMS has not released the laboratory inspection report that led to this letter, so the details of these infractions remain unclear. But the level assigned to these determinations — "Condition-level deficiencies" — are among the most serious that CMS can make. They mean that Theranos’ Newark lab was found to be in violation of accepted professional standards. CMS declined to comment on the letter.

If Theranos doesn't take immediate action, the lab could lose its certification, which which would bar the lab from performing testing. CMS may also decide to cancel that lab's approval for Medicare payments or fine the lab up to $10,000 per day.

In an email, Theranos told The Verge that the inspection of the Newark lab "began months ago and does not reflect the current state of the lab." Theranos further explained that CMS' findings included a number of deficiencies, including one finding at the “immediate jeopardy” level, based on a condition-level deficiency in hematology. "To be clear, that finding does not apply to the whole lab, and none of these findings relate to our Arizona lab, where we currently process over 90 percent of our tests."

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sagebrush posted:

anecdotally, three quarters of the cyclists will be all over the lane when i come up behind them. if they're climbing a hill they're weaving everywhere trying to stay up, and if they're descending they think they're moving fast enough to not have to move over.

i am also a daily cyclist so i have sympathy for bike rights but man there are a lot of ultra lovely bike riders out there making us look bad.

If a cyclist is descending a steep road with a narrow shoulder, they will often be nearer the middle of the road because of how hosed they would be if they wobbled a little on the edge.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

ultramiraculous posted:

who the gently caress is fred and why does he sound like such a dick

depending on who you talk to, it's either:

1. a beginner or any person riding a lovely bike in non-biking clothes
2. a person on a $10k bike with aero bars riding on a flat multi-purpose trail with a speed limit of 15 mph
3. a person on a bike with uncool but practical things like a fender and basket without any obvious need for them at the moment

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Plorkyeran posted:

2. a person on a $10k bike with aero bars riding on a flat multi-purpose trail with a speed limit of 15 mph
3. a person on a bike with uncool but practical things like a fender and basket without any obvious need for them at the moment

"anybody doing the hobby in a way i disapprove of"

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

carry on then posted:

"anybody doing the hobby in a way i disapprove of"

or anyone doing it not as a hobby. riding 50 miles rather than driving your tesla = cool, riding 50 miles because you don't own a car = fred

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Yup he had a lovely product too

it looks like that dude only got community service. bicycle blogs seem to either have been ambivalent or actually defended the guy, because cars are allowed to murder pedestrians so it is righteous that bikes can too. salt the earth

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

4. any person on a bike over 16

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Best Friends posted:

it looks like that dude only got community service. bicycle blogs seem to either have been ambivalent or actually defended the guy, because cars are allowed to murder pedestrians so it is righteous that bikes can too. salt the earth

lol he ended his blog post in memoriam for his helmet after killing a guy

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
why isn't there an app to hire a new live-in housekeeper when yours becomes too impertinent and wants more than 1 day off each month?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

my mom came to visit last year and we went up to skyline to see the view. it was a rental car and she was driving. she's not from the area and has never been here before, so as we descended la honda rd (not even old la honda) she was braking nervously into the turns... some rear end in a top hat on a road racer probably going for a top strava time actually yelled at the 60 year old woman for driving cautiously, because he was following us too closely for safety. we just stopped and let him go ahead. but gently caress, he got so close i thought he was going to hit the car. so yeah, i hear you about the lovely cyclists.

yeah driving on there sucks on weekends

also whyd you make her drive lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i did it once on the motorcycle, it was pretty. but yeah i spent about 20 minutes at the top and that was enough

tho mt hamilton/lick observatory are preferable imo

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

PleasureKevin posted:

unbelievable, this app just raised $1 million: http://handsdown.io/test/

idgi

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

emoji markup language

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
gently caress off it's an accessibility tool for people with disabilities

markdown syndrome

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

github's special snowflake markdown is real annoying to deal with fyi

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

though the originator of the spec is a shithead so were u expecting a consistent standard across implementations??? lmao

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Open Commons Mark, CC BY-NC

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

tbt on a wednesday

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

tbt on a wednesday

"we're facing 25 years of prosperity, freedom----"

*4 short years later*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

tho mt hamilton/lick observatory are preferable imo

Yea I got those shots too and then was like, okay, time to ride

:agreed: on mt Hamilton though. Probably my favorite ride in the bay area is Livermore to mines rd to mt Hamilton to sj

Or the reverse. That is good too

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

tbt on a wednesday

Is Java bad?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

carry on then posted:

Is Java bad?

they knew, back in 1997, they knew

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

gently caress off it's an accessibility tool for people with disabilities

markdown syndrome

:ughh:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

carry on then posted:

Is Java bad?

that guy sounds like a real winer tbh

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

kwinkles posted:

they knew, back in 1997, they knew

and they did nothing to stop it

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

github's special snowflake markdown is real annoying to deal with fyi

there is really no such thing as a non-special-snowflake markdown. there is a tiny core of markdown that is consistent, and that is good for like 80% of what you need from a markup language, but every single implementation adds crap outside it for its own special purposes, and markdown did not have the foresight to build an extension mechanism into its syntax, so it's all crazy and incompatible

this is why swift hosed around with rst for awhile before giving in to peer pressure, it is way better thought out

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
yeah core-markdown does like four things and everything past that is a custom extension. it's all weird because john gruber could clearly give have a gently caress about being a standards maintainer, but his markdown page is popular enough that my daring fireball shirts get me questions about liking "that markdown site".

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
honestly I'm into github-flavored markdown except for the part where slack doesn't let me ~emphasize~ text

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
daring fireball shirts?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ultramiraculous posted:

honestly I'm into github-flavored markdown except for the part where slack doesn't let me ~emphasize~ text

i dont like that it adds line breaks on every line break. i know that sounds weird but i'd prefer to not have entire paragraphs of text on a single line in my source code

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
i constantly come across pages with malformed code snippets because a markdown parser replaced underscores with em tags

markdown is terrible. if you want chumps to style text, just give them ckeditor or something

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shadowhand00 posted:

I posted this in the cycling thread but you guys might appreciate this:

Unlocked in the parking garage of a large office building (with a single tenant) in downtown SF.

Someone's getting paid way too much for being an idiot.

Take it. That's an expensive bike and you'll get some decent money for it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im going to offer a dissenting opinion and say dont steal someone's stuff just because its easy?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
umm, he isn't he's stealing it because it's easy and valuable

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if you want to steal things you should steal from your employer or walmart or something

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
that bike cost what, like 7,000 usd?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

fart simpson posted:

im going to offer a dissenting opinion and say dont steal someone's stuff just because its easy?

what if it's in my best interest to steal that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stringent posted:

that bike cost what, like 7,000 usd?

what a waste

• Locked thread