Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh sweet, chapter titles are up for OSO volume 8. Translation should start soon!

I hear that by the end of volume 8 the LN will have caught up with the web novel, though. I hope it doesn't have to stop. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

FriggenJ posted:

Japan is weird. Very weird.

It's a good series though. I posted about it earlier in this thread.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, without your effort post I never would have given it a try. Dunno if it is to my tastes yet though, since exactly one chapter has been translated and it is a prologue.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, without your effort post I never would have given it a try. Dunno if it is to my tastes yet though, since exactly one chapter has been translated and it is a prologue.

Okay, complete aside but what the hell is going on in the background of your avatar. Is that the hairy monster from Looney Toons?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FriggenJ posted:

Okay, complete aside but what the hell is going on in the background of your avatar. Is that the hairy monster from Looney Toons?

No clue, I didn't buy it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Bringing The Farm To Live In Another World is amazing. Xianxia Farmville.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tags: Slaves

No thanks!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Tags: Slaves

No thanks!

Slaves? If the MC is the slave, then I am ok with it. I am guessing that is not the case.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Slaves? If the MC is the slave, then I am ok with it. I am guessing that is not the case.

He's the head of a noble family that has slave labor. It's not the typical JP "Oh, I'm in a new world, time to get some slaves of the opposite gender heh heh" line. I doubt anything will happen along the lines of Tate no Yuusha and its ilk.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Oh, stop crying about this. You can't write cool stories without slavery, because you'd have to avoid vikings, and vikings are what make stories cool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

darkgray posted:

Oh, stop crying about this. You can't write cool stories without slavery, because you'd have to avoid vikings, and vikings are what make stories cool.

That sounds like you think slavery is what makes vikings cool. Weirdo.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
on the one hand basically the first thing the dude does is promise emancipation, on the other hand he does so p. much solely to get them to work harder rather than because it is the right thing to do, but either way at least the comprehensive injustice of slavery is something that is mentioned in that story rather than completely ignored

most importantly of all it's just a teaser translation and the guy probably isn't going to do any more of it and that's a shame because cheat power of amazing radishes is a great hook

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

darkgray posted:

I like how they are basically feral poor people that randomly murderer folks better off than them only to have their entire civilization collapse after a few generations of doing that because nobody actually wants to be a Viking at the end of the day.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I just finished reading Coiling Dragon. It sure did escalate quickly. Not entirely satisfactory ending but it's rather abrupt. It stopped doing what I enjoyed a lot about it and just started telling you that the main character did a smart thing instead of trying to explain what the smart thing was, specifically fusing laws and stuff.

Edit: I was always impressed with how they translator localized the names though.

Comic fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 22, 2016

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The ISSTH translator is actually really good about translating specific terms into coherent English. It took me dozens of chapters reading the raw to go from "heaven's pride" -> "chosen of heaven" -> oh yeah "chosen", duh. The term "eccentric" I had in my head as "fiend" for over a hundred chapters, "devilish will" also took me hundreds of chapters and I couldn't even come up with a term for it in English, same for the Doom clan at first.

Still think Nascent Soul should be homunculi though, especially since a lot of the time the actual "yuanying" is shortened to just "ying" (infant, baby, etc).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The translation of OSO volume 8 has begun. In the series' usual no-bullshit pacing, the prologue covers the entirety of the dungeon the last volume left on as a cliffhanger. :v:

Yun gets invited to a party because none of the chefs in Eight Million Gods are any good at catering. :allears:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

everytime this outlander beast gets brought up in ISSTH i can't help but think of the dunmer from morrowind and that 50 year chain smoker voice

Scorvi
Apr 4, 2009
Lord Fifth's harem grows.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I was translating it in my head as heavensward beast, it might have specific reference to an actual thing like agarwood, but I don't think that's the case here. It's a weird name in any case.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
In another note, it's now been over a month since Raising the dead team released any kumoko chapters. Of course they still do release "Slave Harem" about every day :suicide: And i doubt there will be a christmas miracle like they did last month.

Oh Turbo translations, how i miss you.

Blastron is still chugging away at the retranslation though, he's up to the Monkeys battle

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

I can't wait for blastron to get further on in the chapters. It's so nice to have really easy to read translations some of the later chapters are gonna be so much more fun when they flow better.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Thanks for reading! It really means a lot to know that people are actually reading and enjoying it.

Captain_duck posted:

In another note, it's now been over a month since Raising the dead team released any kumoko chapters. Of course they still do release "Slave Harem" about every day :suicide: And i doubt there will be a christmas miracle like they did last month.

Oh Turbo translations, how i miss you.

Blastron is still chugging away at the retranslation though, he's up to the Monkeys battle

Hey, now that I have a decent chance of catching up, maybe people will stop asking me why I'm re-translating something that's already being translated... in a year and a half :shepicide:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

For some reason relaxed stories fit my pace more than heavy duty grinding/action fests, so I've been diving through all sorts of sillier LN/WNs lately.

Like Hell I'm Gonna Get Captured is theoretically the story of a dude dying, being reborn as a girl, and then deciding to become that literally perfect school idol you see in dating sims everywhere, but it's really about a bunch of cooking and amusing high school life. The gender bender aspect barely comes up beyond little character quirks, and the one time it really does it's handled pretty well IMO.

Chapters seem to come out once a month, but Arc 1 is a decent read in and of itself.

If you're aren't reading I Will Live with Humility and Dependability as My Motto, you're missing out. It's pretty much maximum chill and makes for a very comfortable read. The MC is reborn as the haughty love rival of a popular TV drama, decides to change her fate, blah blah blah the setting is pretty boilerplate stuff. The real charm comes from just following the MC's silly life around. It doesn't look like it's ever going to have a particularly strong romantic aspect to it either, so it's got that over works with a similar premise.

It got fully retranslated a while back, so even if you've already read it before you might want to give it a second shot. It got a big spurt of updates last Christmas too, so it's finally hit the middle school section.

Like 75% of my posts in this thread are about Only Sense Online for a reason, it's like the only story with a VR MMO setting that I know of that doesn't make things overly serious. It has a huge emphasis on the crafting process, but it doesn't slack on combat either. There's a decent spread of characters who are all developed enough they could conceivably be the star of their own series; hell, in the case of Miyu, that actually happened. It has a gender bender aspect as well, but that has basically just become a running gag to make everyone think that the MC and his best friend are dating. Really, I think it's just there so the series can get around the classic LN problem of "we need to put girls on the cover to attract buyers, but the MC is male so he is thus never on the cover".

Supposedly once volume 8 is finished translating, the LN will be caught up with the WN. Who knows what will go on from there.

The Vampire Princess Dreams a Rose Coloured Dream was something I picked up expecting to be pretty trashy, but it turned out to be pretty fun. It is yet another gender bender, but like the other two I mentioned this barely comes up. Actually, it comes up even less in this story to the point I wonder why they even did it. Is it just how male writers get around writing for the opposite sex? Anyway guy dies in real life, wakes up as his MMO character in the future of the MMO world's setting, and then discovers that his obsessive Gotta Catch Em All attitude with regards to monster taming has turned him into basically the de facto leader of a nation of monsters. Who take his (well, her) awakening as a sign to begin conquering the world. Cue an amusing story of a bunch of level 99+ monsters dropping into a world of like, level 25-30 characters at most. It dips into more serious stuff every now and then, but it's mostly buffered by just how overwhelmingly overpowered the MC's faction is.

This one also seems to translate about a chapter a month.

Finally, Evil God Average is just really good. I don't even need to tell you to read it, because you probably already have.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
That vampire princess one sounds exactly like Overlord. How is it compared to that?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Is it just how male writers get around writing for the opposite sex?

Probably.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

If you're aren't reading I Will Live with Humility and Dependability as My Motto, you're missing out. It's pretty much maximum chill and makes for a very comfortable read. The MC is reborn as the haughty love rival of a popular TV drama, decides to change her fate, blah blah blah the setting is pretty boilerplate stuff. The real charm comes from just following the MC's silly life around. It doesn't look like it's ever going to have a particularly strong romantic aspect to it either, so it's got that over works with a similar premise.

It got fully retranslated a while back, so even if you've already read it before you might want to give it a second shot. It got a big spurt of updates last Christmas too, so it's finally hit the middle school section.

Link to the full translation? I've only seen it on oniichanyamete and it's been a month since the last chapter

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Link to the full translation? I've only seen it on oniichanyamete and it's been a month since the last chapter

When in doubt I use http://www.novelupdates.com/ . But Oniichanyamete posted a chapter two days ago, I believe they're the primary source for current translations (the person you're replying to didn't say it was fully translated but that Oniichanyamete was fully retranslating it because of the poor quality of the original translation).

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 26, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Captain_duck posted:

That vampire princess one sounds exactly like Overlord. How is it compared to that?

I haven't read Overlord, but from what I hear it involves more actual Overlording. And is less grim, I guess?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Overlord ended up being mostly an excuse to write (?!?) guro, sadly. It was funny how I liked the premise and a lot of the characters but everything the author eventually did with them was terrible.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
2 new Kumo-chan chapters and RtD has a new translator for the series.

http://raisingthedead.ninja/2016/01/27/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka-227/
http://raisingthedead.ninja/2016/01/27/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka-228/

quote:

It’s been often said that to deprive me of food is to invite the wrath of god.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh and I don't know how it works in Overlord, but one of the things I like about Vampire Princess is that the MC actually does seem to remember the majority, if not all of the monsters she caught. Like one of the first interludes has her looking over the Seven Beasts of Calamity and being surprised her starter (?) monsters weren't in the lineup.

It's pretty cute.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Overlord ended up being mostly an excuse to write (?!?) guro, sadly. It was funny how I liked the premise and a lot of the characters but everything the author eventually did with them was terrible.

You could basically make that last line the LN thread title.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

It's an escapist power fantasy written by a bitter office slave.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I love how bizarre and magical fights can be in I Shall Seal The Heavens.

I love how each new place Meng Hao travels to changes up the rules and feels distinct from the other regions.

I love how Meng Hao's power ups aren't simply built around higher numbers but an accumulation of strange and bewildering techniques that make him seem like some inhuman demon.

I like how he's not the only one with unusual circumstances and weird abilities, just the one that the story happens to focus on.

I love how the author never lets us forget that despite his seemingly overpowered protagonist status, Meng Hao is just a medium sized fish in a very small pond.

I love everything about Patriarch Reliance.

I love how when he's being chased by a godlike Immortal who intends to erase all memory of him from existence and devour his karma, Meng Hao uses the opportunity to steal everything in sight.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

meng hao and ISSTH are wonderful and this current arc has been absolutely insane

FriggenJ posted:

When in doubt I use http://www.novelupdates.com/ . But Oniichanyamete posted a chapter two days ago, I believe they're the primary source for current translations (the person you're replying to didn't say it was fully translated but that Oniichanyamete was fully retranslating it because of the poor quality of the original translation).
haha whoops my bad, thanks for letting me know about the new chapter though!

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

meng hao and ISSTH are wonderful and this current arc has been absolutely insane

Agreed. It's been hilariously good so far. Really cementing itself as my favourite of all the silly translated poo poo I read.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

rizzen posted:

Agreed. It's been hilariously good so far. Really cementing itself as my favourite of all the silly translated poo poo I read.

Well, insofar as I've read from people who're up to date on the raws, the quality remains or even improves as it goes along. Barring a wet fart of an ending ala Coiling Dragon it's something that I'd be willing to pay money to own/recommend to others. Hell, if it were compiled and edited for it I think it'd make a great book.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

FriggenJ posted:

Well, insofar as I've read from people who're up to date on the raws, the quality remains or even improves as it goes along. Barring a wet fart of an ending ala Coiling Dragon it's something that I'd be willing to pay money to own/recommend to others. Hell, if it were compiled and edited for it I think it'd make a great book.

I've heard that the ending is not the greatest, but I don't think I'll mind too terribly as long as the journey there remains as is, quality wise.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
That ISSTH even has an end, makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Captain_duck posted:

I read a bit of it and so far it's much better.

If nothing else because, y'know, less of the i shall slaughter all and sundry so the creations of my gone friends feel good.

• Locked thread