Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I'm envious that Bryan has his dream job and mostly sets his own hours working from his home office, but then I remember that he never gets to unplug and has to take his job with him on vacation. Dave is a well programmed robot so I'm not worried about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm envious that Bryan has his dream job and mostly sets his own hours working from his home office, but then I remember that he never gets to unplug and has to take his job with him on vacation. Dave is a well programmed robot so I'm not worried about him.

My favorite Dave story is the time he went to the beach (the implication being he had never gone anywhere since Bryan had known him) and after 3 hours was calling Bryan to find out if anything had happened.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

dsriggs posted:

:bahgawd: scraping the bottom of the barrel for guests this week

https://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/status/692166777615339520

Literally gonna listen right now because I love the veiled disdain JR has for Bryan. Not that I dislike Bryan, but it's just funny to me how whenever Jim's on Observer Radio, him and Dave will chat amiably, and then Bryan will ask something and JR will talk to him like a particularly stupid 5 year old.

Also, recommend listening to Taz's radio show from Monday, if only for the first or second caller. He literally asked if the angle where Taz got whipped by Austin during the Invasion was Taz for real being beaten up live on TV with no warning.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gaz-L posted:

Literally gonna listen right now because I love the veiled disdain JR has for Bryan. Not that I dislike Bryan, but it's just funny to me how whenever Jim's on Observer Radio, him and Dave will chat amiably, and then Bryan will ask something and JR will talk to him like a particularly stupid 5 year old.

Also, recommend listening to Taz's radio show from Monday, if only for the first or second caller. He literally asked if the angle where Taz got whipped by Austin during the Invasion was Taz for real being beaten up live on TV with no warning.

The utter disgust in Taz's voice was amazing. Most callers are boring but every now and then you get such a gem that the entire call-in format is worth it. I'm a fan of the high school kid who calls from home room because there is no human being more committed to being beaten up for liking wrestling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

My favorite Dave story is the time he went to the beach (the implication being he had never gone anywhere since Bryan had known him) and after 3 hours was calling Bryan to find out if anything had happened.

Dave telling stories about trying to convince his daughter to go see Concussion on movie day :allears:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

Ronda Rousey hosted Saturday Night Live on 1/23. She was being protected because everyone wanted her to come across well. The monologue was the monologue equivalent of a gimmick laden match with a lot of run-ins.

I love you Dave

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gaz-L posted:

I don't entirely dislike Bryan either, but It's kinda hard to blame JR for that.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Pisscast question: What are your thoughts on Nikki Bella faking a neck injury in order to get surgery? We all know Daniel Bryan and John Cena did the same thing. Does that family have a neck surgery fetish?

Jubs fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 28, 2016

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/83322e3b7b7446d/status/692167854834204672

Cool

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Boomhauer on wrestling

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
"The monologue was similar to when they use other athletes, it was classic smoke and mirrors with the entertainment equivalent (and these are the words of the guy in the scene, not mine with the wrestling analogies) that they all run in and bumped for her while she stood there and looked good."

Which SNL cast member is a subscriber?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Taran Killam is a big wrestling fan who goes to WWE every time they're in New York and was part of the monologue so that would be my guess

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

my fav part is that he favorited his own tweet

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe

oatgan posted:

Taran Killam is a big wrestling fan who goes to WWE every time they're in New York and was part of the monologue so that would be my guess

It's not just him.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yes the lapsed fan is still very much going. They're doing a retrospective of the starrcades right now. Also think you're wrong about Jr and Bryan. I've never sensed any animosity between them. They've been on each other's show very often. Why you always lyin for

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Jubs posted:

Pisscast question: What are your thoughts on Nikki Bella faking a neck injury in order to get surgery? We all know Daniel Bryan and John Cena did the same thing. Does that family have a neck surgery fetish?

bryan viciously assaults his family and himself on a regular basis to build up the benoit comparisons

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

VileLL posted:

bryan viciously assaults his family and himself on a regular basis to build up the benoit comparisons

Will Bryan kill his wife and dog because he's not being allowed to wrestle and get more concussions?

Also, new Pisscast is up!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone ever listen to the various podcasts on place to be nation like Between the Sheets or Exile on Badstreet? I've found them to be really good and also insanely long like 4 hours or so each podcast so it's great for walking or work. I think it involves some of the guys from DVDR at least the name Kris Zellner makes me think it is for some reason.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 28, 2016

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've been listening to Between the Sheets. They're mostly good. They're really long and have some interesting stories. I only listened to the Jim Cornette episode of the 6:05 podcast but it seemed interesting overall.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I thought Bryan and JR had a good dynamic on the Ross report. There was one instance where JR clearly didn't agree with Bryan's opinion, but he was politely diplomatic about it.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Post shirtless manflurry

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Dunbar posted:

If you've been the guy hassling him about it all day on Twitter (@polwrestling ?), this is a highly inaccurate statement.

if by hassling you mean 'making like 5 tweets' and by 'all day' you mean 'over the course of 2 hours' then yeah. anyway after initially being accused of 'not reading' when i quoted the WON at him directly i ultimately got this out of him:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/692438036789927936

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 28, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Wow congrats, you definitely didn't come across looking like a huge sperg and really got him good.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
idk why people who apparently don't even care about accuracy in Dave's reporting still feel the need to defend him for some reason

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I mean admitting when you're wrong is just as much part of being a decent journalist as getting things right, so it's only fair that someone should be held to account when they refuse to do so even over what seems like a trivial matter. Especially if it's becoming a pattern of behaviour

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Nice Asperger's, Sperg God, tism boy, gently caress face.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

yea ok posted:

Nice Asperger's, Sperg God, tism boy, gently caress face.

im sorry

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

I like Dave but his credibility took as a journalist took a hit with me back when he said that it wouldn't be a conflict of interest for him if he did commentary for NJPW before they got JR to do it @ Wrestle Kingdom 9.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Spermgod posted:

idk why people who apparently don't even care about accuracy in Dave's reporting still feel the need to defend him for some reason

They're not defending him, they're making fun of you hth.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I would care about Dave's accuracy if it was for example 'The Yeti is set to return to WWE with a HUGE push' and then it didn't happen. I don't really give a gently caress at all about attendance figures of a 1,500 difference. If that's why you get the observer then yeah, I don't blame you for calling him out on it, but I think the response here is more 'people don't care about this issue' than 'meltzer is always right!! lol fuk u!'

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I would care about Dave's accuracy if it was for example 'The Yeti is set to return to WWE with a HUGE push' and then it didn't happen. I don't really give a gently caress at all about attendance figures of a 1,500 difference. If that's why you get the observer then yeah, I don't blame you for calling him out on it, but I think the response here is more 'people don't care about this issue' than 'meltzer is always right!! lol fuk u!'

its more like a 9000 difference. this year's was 25,204 and apparently down 1,500 from last year, which was reported at the time as 36,000.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

heres my take is meltzer reported that they were going to stop working the numbers in the first place which is enough of a tacit admission of his numbers having been wrong forever that it seems arbitrary to demand he go back and eat poo poo for each show in turn

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Spermgod posted:

its more like a 9000 difference. this year's was 25,204 and apparently down 1,500 from last year, which was reported at the time as 36,000.

No

One

Cares

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Spermgod posted:

Hmmmm, well sounds like Dave is dumb then. Well, I still don't really care. He's written a ton about NJPW's future not looking amazing so it's not as if he's lying to put the company over or something

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

youre posting in the thread for the wrestling observer newsletter

Super No Vacancy posted:

heres my take is meltzer reported that they were going to stop working the numbers in the first place which is enough of a tacit admission of his numbers having been wrong forever that it seems arbitrary to demand he go back and eat poo poo for each show in turn

that's fair although he was pretty unequivocal about presenting that number in particular as legit and i'm pretty sure there was a lag time between when they announced they were going to start doing that and when they actually did, so in the interim there were numbers we assumed to be legit that may not have been.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 28, 2016

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

Spermgod posted:

shut up. no one cares about this but you.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Mormon Juggernaut posted:

shut up. no one cares about this but you.

youre posting in the thread for the wrestling observer newsletter

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

YOU'RE posting in the thread for the wrestling observer newletter

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
all these people who are bad at trolling must have posters of stephen glass and jayson blair on their wall.

accuracy tends to be important when you're supposed to be the paper of record. i've gone on before about how dave's media ethic standards are wanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
More like Shave Shitzer