Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

Here's a gif I stole from a 2013 thread, artemis v regular SRM6 spread at max range, 120 shots.

That isn't accurate. The grouping on SRMs has been tightened considerably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Vorenus posted:

This game is 200% more fun when you just alt-F4 and relaunch in a different mech every time Polar comes up.

If you do this you are literally the worst person.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
How are Griffin's with XL's?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DiHK posted:

shockingly tanky considering big shield arm/structure quirks/twisting

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
If I were to one day get drunk and buy 6500 mc is a) buying a mastery bundle a good idea and b) which medium or heavy bundle should it be?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DiHK posted:

Still a bad idea in a brawler Griffin. Works fine if you're boating LPLs or longer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

acumen posted:

If I were to one day get drunk and buy 6500 mc is a) buying a mastery bundle a good idea and b) which medium or heavy bundle should it be?

Frankly for $30 you're probably better off buying one of the cash-only mech packs. The Marauder is really good, for example.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

acumen posted:

don't buy MC. If you have to spend money, use it to buy a pre-order package for maximum bonus. Just make sure you buy the right pre order package.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
buy MC only when they give you 20% extra and spend it when heroes and mechbays are 50% off. otherwise, buy the occasional one shot skin for your fav mechs

if there is no MC on sale, buy one of the mech packs, preferably when you get the preorder bonuses

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A.o.D. posted:

don't buy MC. If you have to spend money, use it to buy a pre-order package for maximum bonus. Just make sure you buy the right pre order package.

Or you could buy one of hte ones that is already out and know if the mech is going to suck or not. Plus you won't have to wait a bunch of months. PLUS the pre-order bonuses aren't THAT amazing - 6.5 million c-bills and about that much again in modules is a weekend of heavy play.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Still a bad idea in a brawler Griffin. Works fine if you're boating LPLs or longer.

my experience is that XLs in brawler griffins work really well. it's tough to focus down any one torso if you twist well enough -- and if you're fast enough

Something like this will wreck poo poo

GRF-3M

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

This match was going so well. I got all the pubbies to Follow Dad across the river and we were up 4-0 when Dad Died and then it all went to poo poo.

:pgi: bracket builds! :pgi:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

acumen posted:

Mastery bundles are a waste of money except maybe like the Raven or Blackjack ones.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Reztes posted:

This match was going so well. I got all the pubbies to Follow Dad across the river and we were up 4-0 when Dad Died and then it all went to poo poo.

:pgi: bracket builds! :pgi:
Is that a stock MAD 3-R?
That is a brave pubbie.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Elliotw2 posted:

Mastery bundles are a waste of money except maybe like the Raven or Blackjack ones.

Why's that? For the light ones, you get the month of premium time as the majority of the cost, and then an extra five or nine bucks for three mech bays and three robots with assorted bonuses.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

sarmhan posted:

Is that a stock MAD 3-R?
That is a brave pubbie.

Yeah, well, it didn't go particularly well for him

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Reztes posted:

Is Boomjager dual AC/20 or Gauss? I was thinking of going for the DD with triple UAC/5, is that version lovely now?
Dual AC 20. Dual gauss seems like a bad idea, and it's not just the charge up mechanic that's made gauss a non viable choice for me - you are going to be a running an XL engine, and while gauss ammo is inert, gauss rifles explode potentially taking out a side torso killing your engine all because you lost an arm.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
If you sell a mech that is currently on sale do you get less money? I'm thinking of trading my 4N stalker in for a 3H, I know I'll still be taking a loss but I wasn't sure if I would be better served by waiting until the sale was over to get rid of my 4N. I hate the 4N's 6 large laser spam and the 3H can do some stupid poo poo like 50 lrms and super long range ER LL that might be useful for CW or something.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Sard posted:

Why's that? For the light ones, you get the month of premium time as the majority of the cost, and then an extra five or nine bucks for three mech bays and three robots with assorted bonuses.

Most hero mechs are dog poo poo, basically.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thunderbolt pack is good

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I'm looking into dropping a little money on some mechs, currently have a Stormcrow and a Ghost Dad. Anything in particular I should grab? Any decent hero mechs on sale?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

That Gobbo posted:

I'm looking into dropping a little money on some mechs, currently have a Stormcrow and a Ghost Dad. Anything in particular I should grab? Any decent hero mechs on sale?

The marauder pack is decent for $20, if you want some hero mechs the origins pack ain't bad for just the jenners ($20) or the hunchback ($40) tiers.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Coolwhoami posted:

The marauder pack is decent for $20, if you want some hero mechs the origins pack ain't bad for just the jenners ($20) or the hunchback ($40) tiers.

I'd just grab the jenners. the hunchback iic mechs are unquirked and a bit fragile

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
Anyone have experience with the Kintaro line? Or a much more educated guess will do too. Was planning on picking up Griffins, but suddenly I'm getting distracted by SRM brawling potential on the Kintaro too. KTO-18 specifically for that mind, but in for a penny in for a mastery, so the entire line is on the table for me.

Bingo
Aug 18, 2003

Haven't played in a while and just noticed that sparky got buffed a while back, and it's always been one of my favorite mechs. How have people been running theirs lately, xl325 2 lpl 4ml was what I used to run but large lasers seem more attractive now with the new quirks. I could do either xl325 2ll 4ml, or the same but with ferro and less heatsinks and a xl350. 4 llas I guess works too but at that point i think id rather just buy a quickdraw.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bingo posted:

Haven't played in a while and just noticed that sparky got buffed a while back, and it's always been one of my favorite mechs. How have people been running theirs lately, xl325 2 lpl 4ml was what I used to run but large lasers seem more attractive now with the new quirks. I could do either xl325 2ll 4ml, or the same but with ferro and less heatsinks and a xl350. 4 llas I guess works too but at that point i think id rather just buy a quickdraw.

Please bring me up to speed...what is a Sparky?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Marshall Louis posted:

Please bring me up to speed...what is a Sparky?

The Griffin hero

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

Anyone have experience with the Kintaro line? Or a much more educated guess will do too. Was planning on picking up Griffins, but suddenly I'm getting distracted by SRM brawling potential on the Kintaro too. KTO-18 specifically for that mind, but in for a penny in for a mastery, so the entire line is on the table for me.

You're triggering me. Don't go anywhere near the Kintaros. Their hitboxes are garbage, their missiles are all over the place (it's like shooting Tetris blocks) and the two CT ones are behind doors and have only two spots of space to work with. So 2xSRM4 or 1xASRM4 and waste a hardpoint.

On paper those quirks look really good but unless the hitboxes or model gets reworked they are absolute dogshit. You will get cored out faster than you can say "Griffon." Which is what you should get. Griffons are fantastic.

(I bought the Golden Boy and some Kintaros when they were on sale despite already owning Wolverines, Griffons, and Blackjacks. Please don't be me, let me fall on that sword for you.)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

hahaha gently caress that event. Restricting it to the special collectors editions for those packs is hilarious.

Did one drop in my Hunchie IIC thinking it was something like paid mechs earn extra (I'm bad at reading) and then found out it's paid mechs ONLY for the event. gently caress all that noise. I'll just play my badder.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Elliotw2 posted:

If you do this you are literally the worst person.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

You're triggering me. Don't go anywhere near the Kintaros. (Advice.)

Easily done. Griffin time!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Wafflecopper posted:

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

This is absolutely true.

It's why I blame PGI when poo poo happens in MWO. It's also why I always blame Icefrog for when lovely things happen in Dota 2.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Panopticon01 posted:

I would like an invite into the WoL clan please. in game name is panopticon.

Also... you poor bastard, welcome to this hellhole. I'm out of town for a few weeks but hit me up in the mumble when I'm back, it's been too long. I'm Popgun in [GIRL].

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Remember we are going Steiner around 10 PM EST tomorrow night, so pub drop some CW games if there isn't a goon group going and get your Marik 'mechbay.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

When we go davion pubbies are going to flip.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Tell me about Hellbringers, please. Worth it, or no?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheParadigm posted:

IMO yes. They're a good chassis but the ability to carry ECM on them makes them pretty great. Mostly you're gonna find standard Clan laservomit stuff works on them, and they're a little too squishy to brawl with (although a pulse/srm combo makes for a good cleanup mech) but they are solid heavies that can actually make a difference if your team starts to find itself out of position.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

Totally. Don't primary tank with them but support the push. I posted a page or two ago 3xLPL in the ECM torso and maybe a medium in the head. You can do tons of other stuff with them. Laser boat, run some ballistics, whatever. Just try to keep your main weapons in the torso (the ECM LT and head have really high and great E mounts), because the arms are low.

Exploit ECM. Don't head the push, either stick with it just behind to provide ECM for your pushers or sweep wide if you're not there and can't get in. You're a lethal flanker they can't see.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

Look at the superior hardpoint placement and amazing shield arms on the Griffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Somebody explain to me why I should ever take an Inner Sphere mech over a Clan mech. Clan mechs are faster and have better range.

• Locked thread