Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
After a delay, first from social obligations then from not being in any mood for this poo poo, I'm finishing. 23 & 24 down. I'm glad I waited. poo poo's heavy.

So much of these episodes are just blank in my memories of my first viewing. Everything but the broadest of strokes, really. Even then: I don't remember the interactions between Kaworu and Shinji being super gay (tho' I'd heard as much in intervening years), but they're super gay. Was I homophobic enough as a teen to ignore what I didn't like? I don't think so, and it's probably more likely that I had just checked out that much by this point.

Man. Everyone's hosed up, and they just keep getting moreso, even as more hosed up things about them are revealed (Gendo & Ritsuko? Ewww :cry:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The EvaGeeks wiki seems to be down. I want to see the differences between the on-air and DC versions :(

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably going to watch EoE tomorrow and then the first two Rebuilds over the weekend since the third is finally out on BD next month.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oof. Gotta pause 25 for a bit. I'm beginning to think that Past_Cantaloupe couldn't get into the latter parts of Eva because he just didn't have enough life experience to properly empathize with these messed up characters.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

resurgam40 posted:

If you like, but as others have said, they're not really required viewing. The first is pretty well a straight up remake of the first 6 episodes, and although it does differ later in some interesting ways, it's... I don't know. NGE the TV series and EoE the movie are products of Anno entirely; he started to make a giant robot show and into that he poured himself- all he loved, all he hated, all of the issues he was going through at the time, and what resulted was something wholly remarkable. The Rebuilds, while ostensibly the the same story with the same themes, was made when Anno was is a completely different place in his life, and is thus a different story. Is it a better or worse story? That's kind of an "apples and oranges" argument, and I don't really like judging a series that is incomplete (aren't there supposed to be one or two future ones?), but...it creates an interesting dichotomy between original flavor NGE and the Rebuilds in which they are both too different and not different enough to be an effective exercise in comparison. So, I probably won't be joining in if we do tackle the Rebuilds.

rebuild is cool. i agree it's impossible to say anything about it definitively until it's completed so i agree that as of right now they are sort of supplementary rather than necessary but i think that by the end they will be necessary. and i agree that it is "the same, but different" in that it's updating the same story for a new context (using eva to comment on the post-eva landscape) but i don't think that it's too different/not different enough to invite comparison. it is still - ostensibly - a remake. i think a lot of what happened the first time around is repeating itself, at several levels. it's another work born out of self-loathing. it seems to me like it's anno trying to come to grips with the fact that he created the most influential series of the post-gundam era, one whose entire meaning was warped by the fanbase he sought to educate. and in a lot of ways it seems like he hasn't matured since then. it starts off with him thinking that by remaking the show the "right" way that he would be able to tell the story he really wanted to, but 3 shows a total breakdown of this process especially with how radically it diverges from the two installments that precede it (which also mirrors the way that eva told its story in the first place) ... i think it's telling that he sunk into a depression again after making 3

tuxedo catfish had a good point in here or somewhere that if eva is all about the horror of the unknowable, then rebuild is the horror of revealed truth.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 28, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
rebuild is lame

#1 is just the first couple episodes but not as good because of pacing/CGI, #2 feels like a remake of girlfriend of steel, and #3 just feels spiteful in a way that's pretty hypocritical after anno made so much bank on this series

for me at least, one of the main things that makes eva such a great and rewatchable show is it's pacing, it has a really good sense of when to overwhelm the viewer in poo poo and when to take things painfully slow and the way every episode builds on the next is just top notch. The last two episodes and EoE hit are so memorable because they were a gradual build up from more straightforward action/light hearted stuff.

movies can't really do this sort of build up the same way and in the specific case of rebuild the first two movies basically don't matter at all to the events of the third one because everything is so wildy different. instead of feeling alienated FOR the characters being in this suddenly way more hosed up situation (like in the series) I myself just felt alienated and not really invested in what was happening on screen.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 28, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Man, I don't know what the gently caress anymore. 26 makes some amount of sense to me now, more than it did 12 years ago, anyway, but it's still pretty dense, and I'm still a bit peeved that all the other stuff in the show remains unresolved, or discarded.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've only seen bits and pieces of Rebuild, but I think it's kinda neat how it might be compliant with the TV series. Kaworu obviously has seen all the events unfold before whether by some time loop or alternate universe or whatever, and Rebuild was born out of a desire to fix it for Shinji. To redo, if you will. :v:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oof, I don't think I have another hour and a half of Eva left in me tonight. Gonna catch up on the 25/26 parts of the thread, then watch something brainless and happy. EoE can wait until tomorrow.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Srice posted:

I wanna point out that the following guy owns because he watched the entire show unsubbed without understanding Japanese:

Whoa. This guy rules!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I giffed this segment in its entirety, but it's far too huge for me to hotlink and still be a good person. Have the imgur-converted, slightly janky webm:

http://i.imgur.com/iYiWixi.webm

and the gif, for those who care to load it.

I had to cut out tons (>95%) of frames, but I ended up with a decent av, I think:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

resurgam40 posted:

And holy crap, that's a lot of words about a cartoon series from Japan :stare:. Yeah, I've done some thinking about this, because it's like this show was speaking to my 15 year old, introverted self, so if you actually read all that, thank you. Hope to see peoples reaction on the end!

Good words.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Eggs and the hatching from them always make me think of Utena. A lot in Eva made me think of Utena.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dibs.

EDIT: Unless you intended it for yourself of course.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 28, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Dibs.

EDIT: Unless you intended it for yourself of course.

Go for it. I love my big Nico.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cool. I just need good title text to go with it.

Any ideas?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Cool. I just need good title text to go with it.

Any ideas?

No text.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
"I mustn't run away"

or blank. Blank is good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Alright I think I'll go blank then.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

No.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Oh?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zas posted:

So, we watchin the rebuilds??

I figure with them unfinished it's something I'd rather leave as optional: If people wanna watch them and post their impressions as they go then I encourage it, and I might do a bit of that myself at some point.

I love them a lot but since Anno is busy with Godzilla I figure, who knows how long it will take for the final movie to come out. The third movie rules but it definitely isn't a great point to end on.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Which cover is your favorite?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Any but the first one, looks like the cover of the Eva buddy cop movie spin off.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah #1 is super goofy, like almost charmingly so. but not quite.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I remember liking the rebuilds (mainly three), but I only watched them once, so I went through 'you are (not) alone' tonight

for my money the first six eps of eva are up there with the best arcs of TV ever, so this new version is always going to be compromised in my eyes.

everyone’s faces are much more refined, so the ‘acting’ gets a big step up. but the pace is much faster which limits what the characters are able to do. sometimes it feels like the VAs barely have time to get out their lines.

the motion is smoother and the picture is sharper if you’re into that.

otherwise, everything that is good about ‘you are (not) alone’ was already present in eva 1-6, and usually in a more interesting, better contextualized way.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 28, 2016

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I will say the whole Ramiel sequence is really well done and it's worth watching as a remake of that alone. The rest of the movie feels straight up inferior to the series otherwise.

Also them dropping a whole section of the city to get Shinji outta there was cool and all but... Isn't that a bad idea? It's ok though Ramiel just ignores the nice big hole they made and drills through the plates like normal.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I remember the reactions to the first movie when it came out, it was mostly just a lot of shrugging. It's fine and all but man, imagine being under the impression that all of the rebuilds were going to be like that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember when the Rebuild outline was to 'make the series more accessible to people and remove the technobabble' lol

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Asuka is my favorite character in Eva but this has always been my favorite scene from EoE, maybe even the series. It's just so brutal and intense, and the spite from her "No." is almost chilling.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rebuild Ramiel is so cool.
Actually I really like the fights in Rebuild 1; from Ramiel's crazed geometry, to the Evas breaking the sound barrier running to catch Sahaquiel. Visually I think they're a real treat.

But, for me, the Rebuilds are missing some special spark of "Evangelion-ness" and don't strike nearly as much of a chord with me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rebuild 1 and 2 (to a certain extent) are good mecha action movies with some stunning animation in places, it's not really 'Evangelion' until the third film goes nuts though. I do like all hints that it's actually part of some recursive loop and set after EoE, though I think that might be another thing 3 dropped.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rebuild 1 is mostly innocuous, I don't really remember how much or little it cut out but it's probably effectively a decent enough alternate/nicer-looking take on the first six episodes. Rebuild 2 was a cool experience because things appeared to be going differently, not even the ending itself which is what most people will think of but rather little moments like Rei catching the slap. It also has probably the best looking action sequences in the franchise, which I know is not something you normally go to look for in Eva but it was still neat. I decidedly do not really care for Rebuild 3, mostly because it just felt rather inconsequential by the end and haphazardly/weirdly paced. Like the plot is whatever, I don't necessarily agree with the direction it took but I can live with it, but from a technical/film-making standpoint it just feels like a very poorly constructed film without much substance.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah. I think the problem with Three is I don't know if I'll be able to tell if I actually like it until Four comes out.

Soooo...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

Yeah. I think the problem with Three is I don't know if I'll be able to tell if I actually like it until Four comes out.

Soooo...

That's pretty much my problem with it too.

It looks pretty though and the Lovecraftian mess Earth was left in was a real wtf moment.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I did love these tracks (and the accompanying sequences) from Rebuild 3, they're pretty much ripped from Nadia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyzE5A2MvMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pllhe6UuA44

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Radio Spiricom posted:

tuxedo catfish had a good point in here or somewhere that if eva is all about the horror of the unknowable, then rebuild is the horror of revealed truth.

it started out as a joke in the PHIZ anime thread about "the internal being made external" re: Ramiel exploding in a shower of blood :v:

if i said "horror" i'm not sure i'd still stick by that, though. if i can borrow and abuse some literary terms for a moment, it's that NGE is Impressionist (focused on a single character's perception of events, story told largely through subtle associations and hidden links between characters and events, reality slightly distorted because the protagonist has an outsider's perspective) and Rebuild is Expressionist (the entire world is violently distorted to reflect emotional states, objective reality is completely abandoned in favor of individual perspective, nothing is hidden, the symbolic becomes literal)

(it's all a matter of degrees, though; NGE still has lots of stuff, most notably the Angels, that function as literal manifestations of the protagonists' emotions, and Rebuild is almost certainly setting up some stories that are only told by hints and associations.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

more thoughts on you are (not) alone: the incredible amount of detail does make a nice point of contrast to the original, but I prefer the original’s spare aesthetic and I like the way it creates most of its motion through editing.

Anno: "...in a TV anime, 30 min of video has a limit of 3500 pictures. So the images cannot move as much as I want. And how to squeeze out the best from the image in such lack of motion, it is all in the cutting.”

obviously that’s something of a compromise, but I also feel like the story being told couldn’t help but be built with that form in mind. it's kind of a fascinating limitation. at 22 minutes there are 31,680 potential frames to fill at 24fps, so how are you gonna do that with only 3,500 drawings?

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 28, 2016

• Locked thread